Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShadowVash04

Otaku Idol 2007

96 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, here's your first bit of info regarding this year's Otaku Idol contest.

First, lemme break down the way we're doing things this year. If you remember the way we did things last year, both the pre-con steps for the contest and the at-con stuff, good, it hasnt changed since last year.

For those that forgot, heres how it works: The contest is broken down into 3 categories of songs you will sing: 1st round are anime songs, 2nd round are Jpop/Jrock songs, and the 3rd round is a song of your choice, and the song must be from an anime or a Jpop/jrock group.

In order for you to be chosen for the contest, we want those who are interested in the contest to send in a demo song of you singing a song in Japanese. The song can be either from an anime, or a jpop/jrock song of your choice. Once the info for the contest is up on the Otakon website, it will tell you how to record a demo song and where to send it, but for now, just start practicing your song for the demo.

As you are recording your demo song for us, keep in mind that, if chosen for the contest, you can use that song in the actual contest, depending on what genre the song falls into.

Basically, if you are chosen for the contest, you need to choose 3 songs that you will potentially sing; 1 anime song, 1 jpop/jrock song, and 1 song of your choice from either of those categories. Remember that the demo song you choose can also be used in the contest, depending on what category it falls under.

One thing to consider while choosing your songs is to make sure that the song you want to do is in your vocal range. It make it easier if you are trying to sing a song that you can sound somewhat similar to the artist, rather that have something happen like you want to sing "Fly me to the moon" from Neon Genesis Evangelion, a somewhat higher range song, if you are sing in a lower range. If you are musically inclined, you shouldnt have much trouble figuring out your range and what you can and cant sing properly.

Also, when you are choosing your songs to sing, make sure the songs you want to do have a karaoke or instrumental track, we need the song to have an instrumental track for you to sing to. Most singles from animes or jpop/jrock artists have an instrumental track on the single, so just check that way. I'd suggest yesasia.com and check their music selection for whether or not a specific song from an artist has a single or an instrumental track.

One last thing, keep this in mind throughout the entire time from now until the days of the con: once you decide on your 3 songs, practice them as if you are going to be in the Otaku Idol contest. This helps both you and us, because if you have been practicing your songs and you are chosen for the contest, you will hopefully be better prepared for the contest, and put on a better show.

If you have any questions regarding the contest, how things work, etc, feel free to email or PM me, and I will get back to you asap.

Thanks, and keep practicing those songs like you're gonna be performing them! We'll have info on Otaku Idol up on the Otakon website pretty soon, so just keep your eyes peeled.

>.> oh yeah, this falls into my category. I can't wait to enter! =P

Otakon is creeping up very soon now.... any updates on submission deadlines and such?

Should be pretty soon. The info has been sent in to be updated to the Otakon website, so as soon as they get around to putting it up, it will be there. Just keep looking at the website and keep practicing your songs.

Hey everyone, jus giving you all an update. The info for Otaku Idol should be up on the Otakon website very soon. I dont have an exact date, I'll have to check with our head of the event, Jeff. Either way, keep practicing your songs, especially your demo songs, and be prepared to record them and send them to us. After the info is up on the site and you know how to record your song and where to send it to, keep practicing the other songs you picked like you will be in the contest. Thats the best way to prep for this thing. I look forward to hearing many of your awesome demo tracks and your awesome voice talent!

Will do!

@__@ must win, must win, must win!!!!

*grabs a mic and twirls it like a samurai sword.* xD

this is one of those things where i`d like to do it, but don` really have da guts ta do, ya know? i mean, my friends and i go karaoke all the time in annandale n centreville (in fairfax, va), but i mean, an audience of a lot of people is different, AHaHa. i`d like to watch this though, i`ve been to a few otakons and never knew about this event.

Well, in all honesty, the audience is mainly gonna be comprised of fellow otaku, such as yourself, so if they know the song you are singing, they'll probably get into it a lot more than if you went to a karaoke bar and started singing in japanese. This is the kinda contest that if you wanna go out on a limb and try something different, go for it. I did the first year we had this contest, and I sucked, but it helped get me onto Otakon staff, MC this event, and get me into the band I'm in, which we're also playing at Otakon again.

I really want to do this...but I'm not sure if I'm going yet.

But if I do, I'll consider participating. The only thing that's going to be a bit hard for me is getting the instrumental songs that I want to do...hmm.

Depending on the songs you want to do, we may or may not have the intstrumental karaoke(or K-tracks, as we call them) in the Otakafe Library. Best bet is to look at the song you wanna do, find the single cd of that song, if it exists, and more than likely, it will have a K-track of that song. Yesasia.com has a lot of singles from anime series and jpop/rock artists, so you may need to do a little searching and purchasing of these singles.

There was a website that had mp3s of the karaoke tracks to a lot of anime songs for dl. I stumbled across it trying to find ranma k-tracks. Unfortunately, I never bookmarked it. One thing I found helpful was asking on anime music forums about k-tracks that were hard to find.

The only thing that's going to be a bit hard for me is getting the instrumental songs that I want to do...hmm.

The only thing that's going to be a bit hard for me is getting the instrumental songs that I want to do...hmm.

It depends on what song. Some songs don't have a karaoke for them, and you can rip out the vocals easily (while still sounding decent), while some can't.

And in the Otacafe, I've brought some songs that aren't on their list... =P

@_@ yes.... you must remember your lines

Vocal remove can be quite tricky, but I've managed to do it to quite a few songs.

@_@ yes.... you must remember your lines

Vocal remove can be quite tricky, but I've managed to do it to quite a few songs.

You gotta be real careful with ripping audio out of songs sometimes. There are some programs that will rip the audio out, and it may sound ok on your computer, but you put it through a larger, professional sound system like what we'll be using at Otakon, and it may sound like crap. I dont know any programs that rip audio, so I cant recommend anything. I'd just as soon look for k tracks, rather than rip audio, since a k track is still good quality. How you go about obtaining the k tracks, either by dloading, buying, etc, is up to you.

Gendou.com has a bunch of karaoke tracks you can search for by title, artist, or series.

Thank you!

I'll keep these sites in mind for next year.

I saw that you could also do acappella, which is great for me since I do a lot of that. But I always get the feeling doing acappella=less chances of winning, since it's more appealing to the audience to have audio.

Thanks againnnn.

Not necessarily. If you do an acapella song for the demo song, thats fine. If you get chosen for the contest, we can always try to have a k track found for you, but only if you cant find it at all. We have a huge list of stuff from the Otakafe's karaoke files, so we may be able to snag stuff from them, but its only a last minute kinda thing. If anything, acapella at the contest will really show off your voice talent, since it wont be muddled behind the instrumental track.

Oh, btw, the info is finally up on the site, so get crackin on those demo tapes, there should be a thing up soon on how to record the song. If you already know how to record the song, do so and send it to the place given on the site.

One other thing in regards to sending us your demo songs. If you are going to send the song via ups, fed ex, snail mail, etc., send it with priority mail and make sure you get a delivery confirmation thing, that way you know we get it and such.

We had problems with some songs last year not getting to us on time, lost or something like that, so if you do decide to send it that way, please make sure it will get to us via delivery confirmation, and if you want to make sure it's gonna get to us fast, especially if you're sending it a few days before deadine, spend the extra buck or two and send it priority mail, so it will get to us quick. One other thing, we are NOT responsible for late or misdelivered mail.

Also, in terms of getting the stuff to record the song, if you need a mic to record your song, DO NOT go and buy an expensive mic. We dont require you to spend ungodly ammounts of money to make your song sound professional quality, we just want to see how you sound under normal recording circumstances, so go buy a cheap USB mic if you need it.

Also, the program that should be going up in our recording walk thru to use for recording your song is free, is extremely easy to use, and the walk thru will guide you right through how to use it, so unless you already have a song recording program and know how to use it well, use this one.

One last thing. If you absolutely need to have the info for how to record your song and cant wait for the recording faq to be posted to the Otakon website, email or PM me with your email address and I can send you the faq that walks you through the recording process and provides you with the link to download the recording program.

Audacity works, and it's free too! ^__^

Oh yeah, I think the Internet submission forms are confusing... I sent an e-mail to whoever is in charge of it. x_x

Actually, Audacity is what we have on the recording faq, so if youre already familiar with it, go ahead and start recording. The only thing you need from us is the place to send it to, which should be up on the site now.

Again, if you need the faq how to record stuff, email me and i can send it to you.

It's not that, it says to send an e-mail for submission form instructions via the contact page, and says NOT to send auditions.

However, in the next sentence, it says to send auditions via contact page.

>__<;;; I almost sent my audition there...but I'm confused to how it's working now.

xD I use Adobe Audition, though...and I have my song ready. xP

Ok, theres two things we shouldve done to make this less confusing.

If you are over 18, ignore the thing that is said on the page about not sending your song to the contacts page email. If you have your demo song ready, send an email to the contacts page thing, with a link of the song(via rapidshare or whatever else you decide to use, but we prefer rapidshare) and send your contact info(name, address, phone number, etc).

If you are under 18, fill out the minor waiver paper, have your parents sign it, then mail it to the mailing address on the page, along with your demo song and contact info. The demo song should be recorded onto a cd for us to listen to.

^_^ Thank you very much. Didn't mean to be a pain.

Nah, its cool. I figured we'd have something come up sooner or later, since I remember there was something that needed to be changed from last year's info, but I guess it never got changed.

^_^ well, sent my audition. Woohoo.

Okay, I have a question...

What if you absolutely cannot find a karaoke version of a song you want to sing? Such as, if one has never been released. Do you have to just suck it up and choose another song, in that case? Or can something be done to work with what you do have?

I would attempt to take out the vocal, but I have no idea how to do that, and I read earlier that it might sound bad if I do.

I have a quick query! I'm just a little... not confused by the information given on the Otaku Idol page, but it does leave a bit of a question in my mind. It says in the rules that the songs "must be in Japanese, or other East Asian language," but it mostly goes on to discourage English lyrics (except intermittantly).

My question is, would a song like "Wo Qui Non Coin," from Cowboy Bebop, which is half in Japanese and half in not-real-French, be allowed? I'd assume it falls under the "must be in East Asian language" rule, and that half-and-half is not intermittant at all, but felt it couldn't hurt to check. What's the ruling on such things, yea or nay?

I couldn't see why not. If it's Intermittent English, why not intermittent French?

For example, Mi amor is a Japanese song, but it has Spanish lyrics too, I'm sure I'd be able to sing it because it did come from an Asian series.

x_x I'm not in charge, but I guess I'm expressing my personal opinion.

I couldn't see why not. If it's Intermittent English, why not intermittent French?

Scat singing is a weird name.

The lyrics in that Cowboy Bebop song is french scat singing?

The song you mentioned is fine, as long as half of the song is in some form of an asian language, it can be used.

As for songs that we said need to be in mainly japanese, I meant to say mainly from an asian language. If you have a korean, chinese or other asian language song that you want to sing, either with karaoke track or acapella.

As for taking out the vocals from a song, I highly advise against it. It may sound ok on your computer's sound system, but putting it through a huge sound system like the ones we will use at con will make it sound terrible. The way it works for taking out vocals from a song is that it changes the song and its frequency gets changed and removed from the song, sound it changes how it sounds when put through a sound system.

So, to answer your question in a simple manner, if you cant find the karaoke track for a song, choose another song that does have a karaoke track. Worse comes to worse, email me if you absolutely want to sing a song but you arent sure if there is a karaoke, I can try to check with our master list from Otakafe. I'd rather you wait on that until we choose our contestants, that way Im not checking random songs for a ton of people.

Scat singing is a weird name.

The lyrics in that Cowboy Bebop song is french scat singing?

Again, if you need to have the recording faq and link to download a program to record your demo song, email me asap so I can send it to you and you can record your song, then send it into us.

I always wanted to do this cause I can sing half decent, but Im way too nervous of a person to do it infront of people, so I always just go to watch.

Again, if you really think this is your kinda thing, go for it. If you wanna go out on a limb, go for it, this is the chance to do it. We're always looking for new talent to come across us for the contest, so if you think you've got what it takes to sing, go for it, the whole singing in front of an audience and stage presence thing comes with being confident in your singing. Also, if you are chosen for the contest, we will try to hold a meet and greet at con, to give you guys the run down and learn you all a little bit on stage presence and what we are looking for.

Ok, I dont know why the recording FAQ isnt up on the website yet, so if you are interested in being in the Otaku Idol contest, email me and I will send you the faq. I dont know when the faq will be available on the site, so this is just a way to get you all the faq before the deadline, since its coming up soon.

You've been getting submissions from the Contact Page, right?

Yes, we got yours sometime last week.

@_@ woot.

I'm more excited to hear about other contestants. =D

Otaku Idol is pretty popular, right? You get a lot of submissions?

We got a lot from last year, dunno how many we have yet this year. Hopefully we get 10, since that is what we are shooting for in terms of contestants. We figure we'll get more demo songs the closer we get to the deadline.

Is there a certain recommended length for the "demo song?"

Whatever the full length of the song you are doing.

One last thing you all should keep in mind when submitting your song via the Otakon contacts form, PLEASE make sure to select the right department. We are not responsible if your entry is sent to the wrong department and it isn't forwarded to us by the deadline.

The deadline is coming up soon, and submissions that are sent to the wrong dept. take a while to get back to us. That being said, if we do not have your demo song by noon on the 14th, you will not be considered for the Otaku Idol contest.

i dont get why minors cant upload the file too? /:

The reason why we dont let minors use the internet to submit their stuff is because just that: theyre minors, we require a parent signature in paper form saying they allow you to participate in this.

K, just sent my demo thru the contacts page. I double-checked it to make sure it was going to Otaku Idol Submissions. Yay!