Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xavier

Otakon on .... Al-Jazeera?!?

10 posts in this topic

Just amusing that Otakon hit the English Al-Jazeera :)

This is the Al Jazeera channel for English viewers. Arabic version not available, but just a bit on the side of "wow."

Edit: *Curiosity hit me to see if they have an Arabic version, but cannot read much arabic, flail. looking...*

Anime is a global export after all--it's like seeing some japanese people put

together (including some otakon footage!)

love the vulgar comments under it.....

thats pretty cool

Anime is a global export after all--it's like seeing some japanese people put
together (including some otakon footage!)

Holy crap, the Yaranaika guy in Akihabara was one of the best and most energetic dancers I've ever seen in one of these videos. Even so, it's incredibly impressive to see people all around the world dancing to the same song. It's almost like a very nerdy campaign for world peace.

Back to topic ... I couldn't find the Arabic version but ah well *blasts self for not TiVoing it*

I know this sounds bad, but out of any television outlet... be it local, national, and international ... Al Jazeera's lil report is probably the best one I've seen of anime conventions so far ...

*blushes* one of the many times watching the channel kinda paid off for stuff I do, but first time I run into "ourselves" so to say. I like how they let anime fans explain ourselves, and not make much of snide commentary. I'll probably use the clip they have if people do ask me questions of conventions and what they are.

So by all means, if they come again, let em' ^_^ From what they did with the report, they'd be an actual decent news presense, believe it or not.

oh I love this..... I had no idea al jazeera was there! They did a better job reporting otakon than the Baltimore news [which didnt take the con seriously]. My only complaint though....... and I see this a lot with the media reporting otakon......... they always focus on the cosplay and the crazies. I know that makes good news but otakon is more than that. we do have concerts, raves, workshops, panels, cultural things, etc. The media never focuses on that. ^_^

But still, I am bookmarking that link, so thanks!

oh I love this..... I had no idea al jazeera was there! They did a better job reporting otakon than the Baltimore news [which didnt take the con seriously]. My only complaint though....... and I see this a lot with the media reporting otakon......... they always focus on the cosplay and the crazies. I know that makes good news but otakon is more than that. we do have concerts, raves, workshops, panels, cultural things, etc. The media never focuses on that. ^_^

But still, I am bookmarking that link, so thanks!

Wow, way to necro that four-month-old post.

(HINT: Digging up topics that haven't been replied to in more than two months is considered a faux-pas unless you have something really new and significant to add.)

As for your comment -- for many years, the local City Paper and one of the regional critics (JD Considine) covered Otakon and the concerts, and the impact of anime and manga, were center stage. However, colorful costumes will always be more of a visual interest-getter.

Since this was necroed, I am going to go ahead and toss the lock

*lock*