Proposal+volunteer offer: Band Music Jam Area at Otakon

Greetings everyone, this is Dom, I'm a Baltimore resident (about 20 mins north of downtown) and have been attending Otakon for the last 4 years now.

I'd like to propose something that I organized this year at a different convention (Magfest) that enjoyed a lot of sucess: A free-for-all instrument-focused jam space area.

This would be an area similar to the Karaoke room specifically set aside for bands/individual performers to play anime/videogame music (or anything, really). People would sign up for timeslots and be able to play a song or two. I think it'd be a good idea to have a seperate area from the Karaoke room because people playing music tend to take longer to setup/tear down and the queue in the Karaoke room is very large as it is. This may even help out with offloading some people from the Karaoke room (though I'm not sure what the percentage of non-music vs music acts are in there)

This area could be as simple as keyboard, mic, and guitar set to the side of a hallway, or as complex as a dedicated room with stage, lights, and PA. The music need not need to be loud either.

I had tremendous success and there was a lot of enthusiasm with this idea at Magfest - you can see how it turned out on Youtube here: Dom's Jamspace Videos

This was a blast to run and everyone enjoyed it, so what I'd like to offer you is this: If you guys like the idea, then I will volunteer my time for the entire weekend to run this area and also provide all the equipment. I wouldn't need any budget from you guys at all. I also have a reserve of at least 2 confirmed core trusted friends who said they would also volunteer their time to help me organize/manage this area. I could keep this area staffed without needing to pull away any existing Otakon volunteers.

I'm convinced this would be a success because last time I did something similar at a con there was non-stop 24/7 activity in the room, and that was with a fraction of Otakon's attendence. I'm sure we'd have enough people to keep the area busy 100% of the time. Also, judging from the attendence to the Overclocked Remix panel last year, the amount of musical acts in the Karaoke room that I saw, and just random people hanging in hallways with guitars and keyboards, there are plenty of music enthusiasts at Otakon to make this worthwhile. OCR people were also all about the jam stuff last time too.

What I would need from you guys would be this:

- Somewhere to do this in the BCC

- Access to some convention center power/outlets

Equipment I can personally definitely bring (as little or as much of as needed):

- Yamaha Mo8 keyboard (88 key weighted)

- Casio keyboard (smaller, lighter)

- Keyboard stands

- 2 decent Mics+micstands

- Lighting: 12 Par-38's, 3 dimmer packs, DMX controller, 3 stands

- Audio snake

- Peavey bass amp

- PA system (which I'll be picking up soon for something I need in May)

- Small peavey 4ch XLR + 2ch stereo Mixer and Large Mackie 6ch XLR + 10ch 1/4" mixer

- Tons and tons of 1/4", XLR, power extension cables, and adapters

- Untold legions of gaff tape

The main point I'm unsure of is the actual location. A dedicated room would be optimal, it need not be a large one, but I know how crazy booked things get at Otakon. An alternate place that could work would be the area behind where the rave normally is (where there is usually some baggage check or something). Alternatively, there is an area in the corner near the pratt screet lobby by the escalators that's usually very vacant. I don't know what logistical/safety/firecode issues there are with stuff in hallways though.

As for hours, I'd say we start something like 1 hour after opening and run until maybe an hour before the rave starts. That way we can be cleaned up way before the close of Otakon each day.

I appreciate the fact that Otakon is HUGE and it's possible that this can't happen for reasons I hadn't even though about. So if it can't happen, s'cool. If you want it though, I'm your man and will make it happen.

If it's an issue of space e.g. no dedicated room, but then room becomes available later e.g. something's canceled and now there is room, I can still do it on last minute notice, say within a week of the con.

Either way, I'll check this forum, or feel free to email me at binary1230 -at- yahoo -d0t- com.

Thanks!

-Dom

You may want to try using the contact form to get a hold of the Programming section to formally submit this idea to us...

Ah, is that the right way to do it? OK, I will do that, thanks!

-Dom

• 1 month later...

Quick follow up if anyone's interested: 2 things:

I did email this to the programming dept via the contact us page, we'll see what happens.

That youtube link doesn't work. This link here has some of the best picks from the last time I ran an area like this at a different con.

http://baltimorebarcams.com/magfest/index....fJamspaceVideos

In particular, this video from when we ran a jam area at Magfest '08 - a remix of Terra's Theme from Final Fantasy 6 by OCRemix'er Shnabubula - sums up how this can turn out.

-Dom

• 3 months later...

Update: WE'RE DOING THIS! -_-

I (Dom) am running this year something called CLUB OTAKU where we will be jamming out to live anime and videogame music played by YOU, the guests. Check it out in the same room as the side room for the raves.

I'll post the link to the main Otakon site with more details as it comes online.

-Dom

Update: WE'RE DOING THIS! :rolleyes:

I (Dom) am running this year something called CLUB OTAKU where we will be jamming out to live anime and videogame music played by YOU, the guests. Check it out in the same room as the side room for the raves.

I'll post the link to the main Otakon site with more details as it comes online.

-Dom

Just one note -- we refer to attendees as "members" or "attendees". "Guests" refers specifically to invited guests of the convention, or guests provided by industry.

Just to keep things clear!

Thanks Jim, good catch.

To clarify: Any and all Otakon attendees will be allowed to sign up for slots and play music in this room. It's very similar to how the karaoke room works.

Very Cool and different Idea. I can't wait to read the full details on the website and in the program book.

Oh wow!!! This sounds very interesting and cool to me. I am definitely gonna check this out when at Otakon this year!

You're going to have a Motif ES8? That's the type I have, I'm so sold, I was worried there wouldn't be a keyboard anywhere and I didn't want to try dragging mine in an anvil case downtown.

You're going to have a Motif ES8? That's the type I have, I'm so sold, I was worried there wouldn't be a keyboard anywhere and I didn't want to try dragging mine in an anvil case downtown.

Heheh, yea in the past I've dragged my keyboard around the con too, so I think this'll work out nicely.

Real quick, mine is not quite the ES8, my keyboard is a MO8, a little different but not too much. It's this one:

http://www.gigasonic.com/images/large/yamahamo8.jpg

Basically it's a motif without sampling capability. It's still weighted 88 key though.

One note: That the list of stuff above is what I offered to bring, but what is actually happening is we are renting a bunch of that equipment.

That being said, I love the MO8 and I have a bunch of custom guitar stuff on mine that I use heavily, so if the logistics work out (e.g. I can store it in my hotel room), I'll be bringing it down and it'll be in the room for public use.

There's going to be one more meeting and I'll have a final list of all the equipment that will be in the room after next weekend, tops.

At minimum it'll be:

- 2 guitars+guitar amps

- 1 bass+bass amp

- 1-2 keyboards+amp/PA

- 1 5 piece drumset

Edited by ZGL
moderator edit: please link to images instead of putting them in the thread; thanks!

Hey everyone! ^_^

My name's Paul and I'm with a band named Knights of the Round

We cover video game themes and anime openings/closings and we've been together for about a year and a half. We'd soooo be interested in playing. This is awesome you've got a setup exclusively for bands and music.

I got a few quick questions:

Do you have details as to where and when this panel/programming is, and how to sign up? We'd like to notify our friends and fans ahead of time if possible.

We have our own stuff; which includes 5 pc drum kit & cymbals, 2 Guitars and 2 amps, Bass and amp, Yamaha Keyboard; PA system; PA speakers, 4 mics and 4 personal monitors, 8 mic stands and a multitude of guitar cables, XLR's and power cables, so if anyone needs to use any of this; send me a holler.

Will there be enough sockets to power the stuff, and room for us and our stuff when we play?

Thanks so much Dom and everyone!

BTW: check us out on our myspace: http://www.myspace.com/knightsoftheroundcosplay

I got a few quick questions:

Do you have details as to where and when this panel/programming is, and how to sign up? We'd like to notify our friends and fans ahead of time if possible.

Just to be clear, Club Otaku is not a panel. It's a room similar to karaoke, but for bands - show up, sign up, and play.

When information about the schedule is ready, it will be announced. ^_^

Hey Paul, that sounds sweet. I too am in a videogame music band called Rare Candy. It's fun isn't it : )

The deal is that the room is going to be open the entire weekend, so you guys are welcome to sign up as a group and play anytime you like. I was originally shying away from scheduling out specific times for specific groups in advance, but I can discuss this with my staff and figure out if we wanted to book out slots before the con so that groups like yourself could promote your slot ahead of time if you have a lot of fans there. One of my goals with the room is to promote/raise awareness of smaller independent videogame/anime music bands.

Basically I see this room as having 2 "modes" when someone signs up for a slot:

1) Random jamming with people jumping in and out where the current slot owner says 'anyone else feel free to come up and play'

2) As a pre-determined group (like you guys)

As for equipment, thanks a ton for the offer, though I hope we'll have it covered. I can't provide any kind of storage for any equipment people bring, and I can't take an additional drumset in the room just due to logistical issues. You guys are welcome to bring your guitars though. As for keyboards, we should have 2 decent ones (I'm a keyboard player myself). If you do bring stuff though, you have to hang onto it yourself, we can't watch over non-Otakon stuff in the room (even though I'd still defend it to the death).

CAN'T WAIT!

-Dom

EDIT: As for signing up, that will happen in the room itself. You just walk in and sign up on the sheet.

Edited by binary1230

I dont think this is a good idea. Jam bands do not have much of a place at an Otaku convention. Otakon goers seem most interested in hearing Japanese music or Electronic Dance music. If you're going to be playing some rock, please play some metal, punk or hardcore punk. The softer music you play, the harder I'm going to throw down and mosh.

Edited by Confero
I dont think this is a good idea. Jam bands do not have much of a place at an Otaku convention. Otakon goers seem most interested in hearing Japanese music or Electronic Dance music. If you're going to be playing some rock, please play some metal, punk or hardcore punk. The softer music you play, the harder I'm going to throw down and mosh.

Ill tell you what. Im gonna throw down on the drum and jam out with someone. I think it would be fun. I dont have anyone else coming with me that plays so hopefully one of you guys will rock out with me :D I play guitar too but im lefty and I def cant bring my les paul. Anywho, Im all about music. Kudos to the Otakon Jam session. Anyone down with music is good in my book. <_<

Just to throw down my $0.02: I think this room is going to work great. Otakon already has a huge audience for videogame and anime music judging from the raves, OCremix panel, and the Karaoke room. Plus, I've personally invited tons of people who are going to be playing videogame and anime music with us. There's tons of people coming from videogame bands and lots of people expressing interest and making plans. Plus, people have camped the Otakon hallways with keyboards, guitars, violins, and all kinds of musical instruments forever. The spirit of this room and the people using it have always been at Otakon, we're just giving them a centralized place to hang.

I'll be bringing my Gibson SG, a practice amp and some pedals and cables to play with sometime during the weekend.

hey y'all this sounds pretty dope

i have some drum machine type stuff I could bring out if anyone wanted to jam, is there gonna be straight up open jam sessions at all? im hella into electronic music so if anyone is trying to do something that isnt like guitar (or even if you are, we can house it up) umm let me know and ill bring my electribe esx down

Re: open jam

Our operating plan right now is: One person can sign up for a 10-12 minute slot. Then they can invite anyone they like up on stage to jam with them, including just saying 'everyone's invited'. This way we can accommodate one person, one specific group of people (e.g. a band), or just everyone around who wants to jam. It is all up to the person who "booked" the slot.

-Dom

• 2 weeks later...

AFTER OTAKON 2008 REPORT: I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS

Club Otaku's Jamspace was the greatest single thing I've ever helped organize. THANKS TO EVERYONE INVOLVED. We're definitely hoping to be back next year. I'll post more details as Otakon 2009 approaches.

THANKS AGAIN! Here's some vids of Club Otaku from Otakon 2008:

Knights of the Round:

Myself on keys here:

-Dom

Edited by binary1230

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.