Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senshi Guardian

Rain, or not to Rain, THAT is the question

89 posts in this topic

Ahhhh, With 19 days till the pre-reg pick up I figured it's time to all become armature meteorologists again. Will we be dealing with the downpours of 2005, or the light drizzle of 2007. I wish i still had my future prediction sites, but I sadly don't have those links, or I'd post them here too.

So, what are everyone's ways to beat impending rain, especially for the cosplaying folks. I'm personally packing those cheap dollar ponchos for my group in case we get caught in any. Thank good they're cheap enough to toss once the rain stops.

Ahhhh, With 19 days till the pre-reg pick up I figured it's time to all become armature meteorologists again. Will we be dealing with the downpours of 2005, or the light drizzle of 2007. I wish i still had my future prediction sites, but I sadly don't have those links, or I'd post them here too.

So, what are everyone's ways to beat impending rain, especially for the cosplaying folks. I'm personally packing those cheap dollar ponchos for my group in case we get caught in any. Thank good they're cheap enough to toss once the rain stops.

My friends who've been going to Otakon for years say that it's pretty much guaranteed to rain at least once during weekend.

My friends who've been going to Otakon for years say that it's pretty much guaranteed to rain at least once during weekend.

rain is ok, as long as it's while i'm inside. should i choose to exit the building, then the rain must stop.

tho i think this year none of my costumes won't be ruined by a drizzle, which is good

I am lucky that the hotel I am staying at is connected to the convention center, though I do not know if the sky walk is covered. Never the less, if it isn't, I will be carrying a faithful plastic bag with me. Though the fabric will otherwise remain unharmed by the wet, I do have a wig that will be a little more delicate to a heavy wetness. Otherwise, let it rain.

Every year I have gone, i have gotten a small farmers sunburn.

I always enjoy the thunderstorms we've had during Otakon... as long as I'm inside and can admire it from behind the glass ceiling. :D So actually, I kind of hope for at least one.

Yes, it usually rains at least once during Otakon weekend, if only for an hour perhaps, however it's usually a nice break from the extreme heat & humidity the rest of the weekend.

Doesn't mean it'll happen at a nice time for you though, I've experienced rain at Otakon during anything from standing in the pre-registration line Friday morning to waiting for the elevator for the parking garage on Sunday morning & anywhere in between.

You take an umbrella with you & accept the possible rain as part of the con experience for that year. It rained during parts of both Saturday night & Sunday afternoon during AnimeNext this year, it didn't ruin the con at all, only made it more memorable in it's own way. I've never experienced a rainy con weekend & certainly don't intend to either, a few moments of rain don't bother me though.

So this year as any other year this is the forecast I expect for Otakon - Extreme heat & humidity, 90+ temperatures during the day with a possible chance of a rain or thunder shower at any given moment.

That's pretty much been the weather forecast for every Otakon weekend since '01, why would it change this year? It won't simply b/c this is Baltimore in mid summer we're talking about here. :D

i'd rather have heat than rain ANYDAY :D!

But if it comes down to it **Holds Cross Punisher over his head** this is about my only defense from the rain

Oh god...I can't imagine *shielding self for the imminent shower of rocks* if during the pre-reg badge pick up there would be one of those 15 minute downpours and it just gets even huuuuuuumid after that and if it happens all three days of the con.... ...you can proceed to throw bricks at me now

I really hope it rains even to cool down, it's been deadly hot lately (I'm already at DC) and the sun leaves at 8-9 pm x_x I'm dying here (compared to Peru from where I come from) ^^"

there was a drizzle last year?

Oh god...I can't imagine *shielding self for the imminent shower of rocks* if during the pre-reg badge pick up there would be one of those 15 minute downpours and it just gets even huuuuuuumid after that and if it happens all three days of the con.... ...you can proceed to throw bricks at me now

Well, if it rains during the badge pickup line, at least people won't be passing out of heat exhaustion.

Expect MD Thunderstorms at least once during Otakon. I guess someone will post a weather.com link starting Tuesday or Wednesday of next week when all four days of Otakon are in the 10 forecast.

It would be great if we had the same weather as last year.... it seemed to be perfect

I always keep an umbrella with me at Otakon. The one year I ended up using it to cover a woman to keep her costume from getting ruined by the heavy down-pours. It is only a little extra weight and works against strong sun too. Oh, and don't cheap out on it. Buy a quality umbrella.

there was a drizzle last year?

I know personally I like the occasionally good rainshower when it's very hot outside. Might just be me.

An umbrella is a good idea, as is checking the forcast the entire weekend of Otakon before you depart so you get an idea of what you're in for.

Summer thunderstorms are normal for this region. It's fairly common to get a quick downpour in the summer, especially in the evening. I have an ultra compact umbrella that fits perfectly into my backpack. It's just what I need in case a serious rainfall happens when I'm stuck outside, especially when in costume.

Please call me crazy, but I can

I'll bring my umbrella that way we'll be guaranteed to not get any rain because anytime I prepare for something in advance it never happens, now if I forget my umbrella watch out because it will most likely rain :blink:

That will prob be the thing i will forget then i ll have to buy one. It will be right by the door when i leave and ill be so excited to be leavin and ill forget it. Ill just make sure to pack that 1st.

I dont remember it rained last yr, oh well I think it will be nice when it rain's cause its usually hot.

There's a sort of spectrum for Otakon weather:

Beautiful (2007)-----Slightly uncomfortable-----typical Baltimore summer------Rain-------Build an Ark-------Manhole

Please call me crazy, but I can't remember it raining during 2005. Was it during Friday? Because I did arrive late during that day, but in all seriousness, I can't remember. This is sad; it was only about four years ago. In any case, I'm hoping for the mild 80's during this year con.

Eh i don't have to worry being Kamina the rain would just go around me rofl ;)

but anyway eh animeNEXT was not ruined by the rain (Was there) it just made it much more fun dodging the thunderstorms Hhaha

I hope it doesn't rain but eh what happpens is what is going ot happen i suppose.

i actually wouldn't mind a little rain...just not a lot, and as long as i have an umbrella, 'cause i flat-iron my hair rather than using a wig

Eh i don't have to worry being Kamina the rain would just go around me rofl ^_^

but anyway eh animeNEXT was not ruined by the rain (Was there) it just made it much more fun dodging the thunderstorms Hhaha

I hope it doesn't rain but eh what happpens is what is going ot happen i suppose.

The crazy downpour in 05 didn't really last that long, but if you just happened to be outside for those 15 min. then you would've been soaked.

I have a really stupid question..

but the convention center is on generator right?

Incase god forbid we ever did lose power..?

I would hope it would since it's such a huge place.

I think Id rather it be 'the fires of hell' hot than have it rain all weekend. part of the fun of the con is what happens outside the con walls... if its raining all weekend it kinda ruins it a bit [just a bit]. i guess i wanna be able to walk the inner harbor in cosplay and have the tourist eye me like Im nuts

If I recall correctly, 2006 was there year of no rain, but extreme heat and fairly nasty humidity.

I wouldn't mind that so much, provided that the Sheraton City Center (old Wyndham, I think) has the pool back up and running in time. =0

2005 was my first Otakon. As a newbie, I didn't know how important pre-reg was. I got to be in that awesome at-con reg line. In the rain. For something like two hours. It was bogus. I have never failed to pre-reg since. =0

I always loved it when it rained at Otakon, the BCC is a huge place, the sound is amazing, it feels good; though I'm sure peoples costumes and makeup out-weight the coolness of the rain. So I guess I open it doesn't rain, too much, ^_^

Umbrella for the rain.

Umbrella for the sun.

Always carry one with me. ;D

Umbrella for the rain.

Umbrella for the sun.

Always carry one with me. ;D

I wouldn't mind a little rain during Otakon. It would break the heat for a little while, you know. :3

I wouldn't mind a little rain during Otakon. It would break the heat for a little while, you know. :3

Unless it's part of a cold front moving through, rain in the summer tends to just drop the temperature by a degree or two but it also doubles the humidity. My weather request this year is just mostly cloudy but no rain, and temperatures like Otakon 2007. One morning last year, I walked out of the hotel and I got a slight chill! Of course I doubt that will happen again this year, but I can hope...

Hopefully every day of the con will be like today, here in Baltimore - low to mid 80's, little or no humidity, beautiful cool breeze, sunshine. It's so perfect outside.

Hopefully every day of the con will be like today, here in Baltimore - low to mid 80's, little or no humidity, beautiful cool breeze, sunshine. It's so perfect outside.

'Twould be nice, Mer, but I wouldn't bet on it. Anyway, we had to have a monsoon yesterday to get this nice day. Just glad my power stayed on.

hm, I'd have to say it's DEFINITELY too hot today. Maybe because I spend fall and spring in Connecticut so I'm not used to it. I'd prefer yesterday's temps sans the rainy beatdown we caught.

I walked outside today and went 'Woah I'm kind of cold!'

i hope its cold.... i have a pretty hot maid cosplay that im working on [stupid me, i didnt put baltimore/august weather into consideration]..... i'll be covered from head to toe

i don't want to melt in heat!! i have 7 hangers with costume on them!! (all for the same costume)

i hope for a light drizzle. no downpour....but i agree, the sound would be nice

i don't want to melt in heat!! i have 7 hangers with costume on them!! (all for the same costume)

Thats alot of layers!! whoa.

Thats alot of layers!! whoa.

Topic, please. ^_^