Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sjmorgan

Just curious, how much does it cost to rent out the convention center for the weekend?

Question

Just curious, how much does it cost to rent out the convention center for the weekend? The base figure, not all the hidden costs. Really just wondering, lol.

7 answers to this question

Just curious, how much does it cost to rent out the convention center for the weekend? The base figure, not all the hidden costs. Really just wondering, lol.

In that case, out of sheer curiosity, how much does EVERYTHING entailing the convention center cost?

In that case, out of sheer curiosity, how much does EVERYTHING entailing the convention center cost?

Well the total operation budget for the Entirety of Otakorp ( the parent cooperation of Otakon) is approximately 2.3 Mil.

Wow. That's pretty impressive when you figure (and I'm just guessing by looking at numbers off the website) around ~$1.5mil from registrations and ~$280k from the dealers room spaces. That leaves $500k to be covered by the larger industry spaces, advertising, the store and artist ally. I know Otakon is a non-profit, but you guys must truly take it to heart!

When we've said every dime really does get funneled back into the con (and other events), we're not joking.

Some years we luck out and come in under budget; some years that's not the case.

When we've said every dime really does get funneled back into the con (and other events), we're not joking.

Some years we luck out and come in under budget; some years that's not the case.

We generally don't run a deficit; we have a reserve fund that keeps us solvent year round -- we have to start spending money long before registration kicks in -- and part of that is a rainy day fund in case we go over budget.

For most of the time that I've been on staff (since 2002), we've been close but haven't actually gone in the red any year. We start with the assumption that last year's income will be coming in -- though last year we budgeted as though we'd see a slight dip in attendance. Better safe than sorry.

My own mantra for guests -- where the costs vary wildly due to the strength of the dollar vs the yen, the ever-changing costs of fuel, and so forth -- is that I budget high and spend low. I have to be prepared for emergencies, and that planning has saved our bacon several times when, for example, the cost of gas (and fuel surcharges for airfare) shot through the roof and the dollar tanked, effectively reducing my budget by 10-15%. Most of that has been transparent to you guys, but it keeps us responsible fiscally.