Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

md02geist

Clear the way! Watch your step! And what NOT to do in a fire drill.

28 posts in this topic

Seriously guys.

One of the biggest things about Otakon that bothered me this year (and this was my first year, so I have no idea if it occurs at others though I"m sure it does..) is twofold, and has to do with behavior in the Artist's Alley and the Vendors.

First off, in Artist's Alley: don't stop and talk in a huge group in front of an artist's booth. I'm there to see their art, and to talk to them, get some commissions done, etc. I'm not there to listen to you and your friends make various pop culture references while blocking all access to an artist's table. I'm sure they don't appreciate you impeding their business, but maybe they're just too nice to tell you. I'm not -- please, if you're not admiring art / buying art / talking to an artist, then clear the way and allow those of us who are there for something other than chitchat to do what we need to do. I get that discussions will be had, and that's totally cool -- just do it in the right places. Same applies for the Vendors. If you're not there to do business / browse the wares / talk to the store employees, MOVE ON.

Second off, please by all means WATCH WHERE YOU GO. I lost track of the number of times that if I hadn't been paying attention, I would've stonewalled somebody because they were barreling through a crowd at full speed and would've ended up with my shoulder in their face. You're excited because it's Otakon, you're rushing to get to a vendor praying they have that last figurine left, you're amped up on Red Bull or something, I get it. But you don't plow through the mall and run into all sorts of people, do you? Just because this is Otakon doesn't mean common decency and not injuring people can go out the door. Watch where you go, and if you have to move with a little haste to get somewhere then do so -- but don't go full out sprint shouldering aside anyone you see between you and your goal, you could easily injure someone or break that figurine or whatever that they've been after for months. And you don't want me to chase you down in a fight tech suit do you?

And finally..what NOT to do in a fire drill. I'm talking to one person in particular -- I think he may have been staff, but he may not have been, I'm not sure. Either way I reported it to several staff members. You, older bald guy with the glasses who looks like he hits the gym -- when a fire alarm goes off, you do NOT go running through the artist's alley screaming "FIRE ALARM GET OUT GET OUT GO NOW FIRE ALARM!" You can cause a stampede that way and cause people to be suffocated or run over. If you doubt that it can happen, please do some google work and you will see it is extremely possible, particularly when you have very limited exits (as in the case of Otakon) for the number of people that were present. To that guy -- you know who you are and if I'd had a second to pull you aside before you sprinted through the rest of the crowd screaming, we'd have some words. You quite literally could have killed people with your inane behavior.

This has been a public safety briefing by everyone's favorite bad anime character, Geist. Thanks.

This needed its own topic that badly? Really?

Oh, for when the fire alarm went off, there are exits in the back of the gaming room, but the staff still wanted everyone to go through the main entrance. wtf. Isn't they why you have exit signs at all exits, so during an emergency it can be easily found? I guess there could be stuff they didn't want stolen or something back there but still.

During an evacuation, all persons should leave via the closest available exit. We'll be working to address issues such as the ones tsimduckahs and md02geist encountered as we begin to plan for Otakon 2011. Please post or email us (via our website contact page) any other instances that you felt were mis-handled during the evacuation so we can be sure they are addressed.

During an evacuation, all persons should leave via the closest available exit. We'll be working to address issues such as the ones tsimduckahs and md02geist encountered as we begin to plan for Otakon 2011. Please post or email us (via our website contact page) any other instances that you felt were mis-handled during the evacuation so we can be sure they are addressed.

Sounds like you had a bad experience in the Artists Alley.....It took a good 10 minutes for people in the Dealer's Room to even realize the alarm went off. I was buying a Soul Eater wallscroll when the dealer said "is the BCC burning down? oh well. Thanks and have a good weekend!"

The atmosphere in the dealer's room was almost sleepy lol

Had there been an actual fire and they were not allowing people to use every available exit there could have been many legal issues. With the guy screaming down Artist Alley that definitely could have caused legal issues. People could have been injured if everyone was rushing like a nutcase to get out of there. Even in an actual fire you have to stay calm or it could cause a lot of problems including the injury or death of someone.

I know I may be the only one not in the loop, but was the fire alarm actually a prank, did someone think they saw a fire, or was there actually a grease fire like some people have said?

As for me, I was out getting food at the time, which worked out rather well but I heard from some of my friends that it was a bit of concerning experience that they didn't go out the emergency exits...

Sounds like you had a bad experience in the Artists Alley.....It took a good 10 minutes for people in the Dealer's Room to even realize the alarm went off. I was buying a Soul Eater wallscroll when the dealer said "is the BCC burning down? oh well. Thanks and have a good weekend!"

The atmosphere in the dealer's room was almost sleepy lol

I know I may be the only one not in the loop, but was the fire alarm actually a prank, did someone think they saw a fire, or was there actually a grease fire like some people have said?

As for me, I was out getting food at the time, which worked out rather well but I heard from some of my friends that it was a bit of concerning experience that they didn't go out the emergency exits...

Why do people persist in passing along rumors when an official answer has been given repeatedly (and starting immediately on return to the BCC)?

Some idiot pulled the alarm, and investigators are looking into footage that may have captured someone in the act.

Why do people persist in passing along rumors when an official answer has been given repeatedly (and starting immediately on return to the BCC)?

Some idiot pulled the alarm, and investigators are looking into footage that may have captured someone in the act.

People Never watch where they are going ._. I leraned a lot about blocking in Karate class, so I actuly use forms of that at conventions. because people don't look. if someone isn't paying attention and they are getting too close I actully touch them of if they were going too fast I do use block to guard myself XD it's never hurt anyone but it gets theor attention and they they look all bewildered

I have to agree with AA. too many people just holding a convo. in the dealers room too. I just wanted to say to them GTFO if you aren't looking to buy something don't stand in the way of people who are

however as for the fire drill I have to say that the door I was at oh! I forget the name >_< the side door UNDER the skywalk going to

Sheraton where the spiral stairs are. that door was handled nicely by staff of both Otakon and BCC.

The only issue I had was getting back in because everyone was pushing forward and I was getting hurt. I'm only 5"2' so everyone was talker than me so it was really fursutrating not haveing my feet on the ground ._.; so People need to have a bit more respect for the fact everyone needs to have their badge checked on the way in a door there were only a few staffers so just WAIT YOUR TURN :<

I'm not sure if this will have much reason to go with the fire procedure or not but could we stop people from sitting across the whole stairs??

I was on my way to a number of photoshoots on the 4th floor and on my way up the stairs behind starbucks and some of the back side stairs people block the whole stairwell by sitting there! it was really pissing me off. most of all the people blocking the side stair didn't even bother to move when I came to use the stairs >:lol: some people were LAYING across the section I had to step over them! The one behind starbucks at one point I had to go under the rail to go down because not one section was free of people sitting side-by-side

I kinda hope that some how staff will address this. it seems like a minor issue but the thing is not one person I saw was considerate enough to move

I'm not saying people should be banned from sitting in the stairs . Just that they should be forced to move over when blocking the way for people who need to use them

People Never watch where they are going ._. I leraned a lot about blocking in Karate class, so I actuly use forms of that at conventions. because people don't look. if someone isn't paying attention and they are getting too close I actully touch them of if they were going too fast I do use block to guard myself XD it's never hurt anyone but it gets theor attention and they they look all bewildered

I have to agree with AA. too many people just holding a convo. in the dealers room too. I just wanted to say to them GTFO if you aren't looking to buy something don't stand in the way of people who are

however as for the fire drill I have to say that the door I was at oh! I forget the name >_< the side door UNDER the skywalk going to

Sheraton where the spiral stairs are. that door was handled nicely by staff of both Otakon and BCC.

The only issue I had was getting back in because everyone was pushing forward and I was getting hurt. I'm only 5"2' so everyone was talker than me so it was really fursutrating not haveing my feet on the ground ._.; so People need to have a bit more respect for the fact everyone needs to have their badge checked on the way in a door there were only a few staffers so just WAIT YOUR TURN :<

I'm not sure if this will have much reason to go with the fire procedure or not but could we stop people from sitting across the whole stairs??

I was on my way to a number of photoshoots on the 4th floor and on my way up the stairs behind starbucks and some of the back side stairs people block the whole stairwell by sitting there! it was really pissing me off. most of all the people blocking the side stair didn't even bother to move when I came to use the stairs >^_^ some people were LAYING across the section I had to step over them! The one behind starbucks at one point I had to go under the rail to go down because not one section was free of people sitting side-by-side

I kinda hope that some how staff will address this. it seems like a minor issue but the thing is not one person I saw was considerate enough to move

I'm not saying people should be banned from sitting in the stairs . Just that they should be forced to move over when blocking the way for people who need to use them

Oh, for when the fire alarm went off, there are exits in the back of the gaming room, but the staff still wanted everyone to go through the main entrance. wtf. Isn't they why you have exit signs at all exits, so during an emergency it can be easily found? I guess there could be stuff they didn't want stolen or something back there but still.

Those exits lead to a rabbit warren. We'd never be able to make sure everyone had left if we let people go that way.

And so far as I know there was no Public Safety in that area to ensure that people would leave.

In the past, having worked a lot of fire alarms and drills in multiple places (including a dorm called Fire Hall because of people who ahd been burnt to death in it) I've seen people hiding in closets, bathrooms, stair wells, all sorts of places to avoid having to go out. And since we're responsible for you all...to the BCC and to you, we chose to do the clear in this fashion.

The only thing that annoyed me about this fire drill is people yelling out Marco polo. Like really? I think i remember a staff member was trying to tell us to go across the street from the BCC but how can we hear them when some one is yelling out stuff like that?

The only thing that annoyed me about this fire drill is people yelling out Marco polo. Like really? I think i remember a staff member was trying to tell us to go across the street from the BCC but how can we hear them when some one is yelling out stuff like that?

The "con closed due to AIDS" stuff is SO far from funny. Try watching a good friend waste away over a year and die from it, and then tell me where the lulz come from there.

The "con closed due to AIDS" stuff is SO far from funny. Try watching a good friend waste away over a year and die from it, and then tell me where the lulz come from there.

My younger brother died from it. My family still feel the pain after all these years.

I can never understand how people can find life threatining sicknesses and suffering so humorous. :mad:

I also agree, it's quite sickening that someone made a joke regarding AIDS... Truly truly awful.

My younger brother died from it. My family still feel the pain after all these years.

I can never understand how people can find life threatining sicknesses and suffering so humorous. <_<

Those exits lead to a rabbit warren. We'd never be able to make sure everyone had left if we let people go that way.

And so far as I know there was no Public Safety in that area to ensure that people would leave.

In the past, having worked a lot of fire alarms and drills in multiple places (including a dorm called Fire Hall because of people who ahd been burnt to death in it) I've seen people hiding in closets, bathrooms, stair wells, all sorts of places to avoid having to go out. And since we're responsible for you all...to the BCC and to you, we chose to do the clear in this fashion.

I'm agree about some of those issues. This was my 4th Otakon and first con firedrill (this it what it's been dubbed in our house) I and my sister were in otachan and when the alarms went off

1.) We couldn'd hear them. three of the four dorrs to that area were closed as to mffle sound for the art contest or what ever went on that hour.

2.) saw the light and a staffer told us it was probably someone outside takeing photos.

3.) After hearing the alarm fianlly many people said "Should we leave?" the response: I'm not sure let me ask

I don't blame the staff at all. this was highly unexpected but I don't think it wise to say I don't know and the like when an actual emergency could be going on.