Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CocoFaerie

NOTICE: Outside Events

38 posts in this topic

This is a notice for Otakon goers: As many of you local goers know the O's are hosting the A's during the weekend, but just announced today is the return of the World Football Challenge July 28 at the next-door M&T Bank Stadium, and it's going to be a good one--Tottenham versus Liverpool! Please be extra careful around town then, and for more click the rinku below.

http://www.wbaltv.com/sports/30802841/detail.html

Parking is going to be a nightmare. Once you find a spot, it would be a good idea to walk for the rest of the weekend. It also means that people only coming for one day should plan accordingly.

Ah man. D; It's gonna be hella packed and crazy. Ugh, and drunks are going to be out and about late at night and such too.

Well the Spurs-Liverpool game won't be an issue neither will the O's game most of these folks will steer clear on the BCCC when they see us running around that is what happen a few years ago.

Well the Spurs-Liverpool game won't be an issue neither will the O's game most of these folks will steer clear on the BCCC when they see us running around that is what happen a few years ago.

One things for sure: with these sporting events going on, it does guarantee the return of the "Ice Cold Water" guy. smile.png

I hope that for safety's sake female attendees travel in groups as there will be alot of horny drunks lurking around the Convention Center & Inner Harbour because of the two sporting events.

Hmmm so I guess someof you don't understand EPL Games which this will be consider a Freindly the fans that go to this game aren't that bad plus I look at the Spurs Summer List and while they have it listed as playing Liverpool they haven't given a date yet for it.

This is sure going to be an interesting first Otakon.

Besides the additional crowds and heckling by rowdy, possibly innebriated, sportsfans, it also means that most of the restaurants will be busy and there will be extended waits to be seated.

Parking is going to be a nightmare. Once you find a spot, it would be a good idea to walk for the rest of the weekend. It also means that people only coming for one day should plan accordingly.

One things for sure: with these sporting events going on, it does guarantee the return of the "Ice Cold Water" guy. smile.png

I hope that for safety's sake female attendees travel in groups as there will be alot of horny drunks lurking around the Convention Center & Inner Harbour because of the two sporting events.

Ah man. D; It's gonna be hella packed and crazy. Ugh, and drunks are going to be out and about late at night and such too.

Ugh, why does everyone get all "OMG SPORTS FANS ARE CRAZY DRUNKS WATCH OUT!!!!"? This happened when the Orioles played the Yankees a few years ago, and you know what actually happened at the convention? I got asked by a lot more random people what was going on at the BCC. That was it. "Sports fans" are not some mysterious other race of beings. I go to multiple baseball games a year myself and I'm sure I'm not the only Otakon attendee that does so. Yes, parking, food and hotels are going to be more crowded, but seriously, you shouldn't EVER walk around downtown Baltimore by yourself anyway -- that's just big-city common sense. The only time anyone in my group has ever been harassed by a drunk was one time back in like 2002 when there weren't any sports events going on at all.

Ugh, why does everyone get all "OMG SPORTS FANS ARE CRAZY DRUNKS WATCH OUT!!!!"? This happened when the Orioles played the Yankees a few years ago, and you know what actually happened at the convention? I got asked by a lot more random people what was going on at the BCC. That was it. "Sports fans" are not some mysterious other race of beings. I go to multiple baseball games a year myself and I'm sure I'm not the only Otakon attendee that does so. Yes, parking, food and hotels are going to be more crowded, but seriously, you shouldn't EVER walk around downtown Baltimore by yourself anyway -- that's just big-city common sense. The only time anyone in my group has ever been harassed by a drunk was one time back in like 2002 when there weren't any sports events going on at all.

For me personally, I've never encountered more rude people around the convention center than the year they played. Plenty of drunk sports fans (definitely drunk, definitely went to the games) who tried to harass females dressed up. I've never had a problem with Baltimore in some really crazy costumes, expect then. Had plenty of rude sports fan who insulted us to our faces. I don't know other people and their reasoning, but it sure left a bad taste in my mouth.

For me personally, I've never encountered more rude people around the convention center than the year they played. Plenty of drunk sports fans (definitely drunk, definitely went to the games) who tried to harass females dressed up. I've never had a problem with Baltimore in some really crazy costumes, expect then. Had plenty of rude sports fan who insulted us to our faces. I don't know other people and their reasoning, but it sure left a bad taste in my mouth.

Travel with a group of people when walking to & from your hotel or anywhere else downtown. Better to be safe than sorry. Those who downplay it or treat this like a joke won't find it so funny if they or their friends get harrassed or assulted.

Definitely this. There are plenty of nice fans, but not only can there be the bad fans I dealt with, but with B-more being more crowded in the Inner Harbor, the more chance for trouble. Still, always travel in groups, especially with people who look like they can hold their own, if you can. Keep a good hold of your merch and money and whatnot. I noticed a drastic difference even from one year to another (not taking into account the sports issue) of my own experiences. Through self defense and close quarters combat training, my confidence rose and my ability to sense my surroundings grew. But you don't need to learn to fight, just fake your ability to not look like a nervous tourist. I travel with one other person too. If you don't look like prey and travel with others who remain confident (if you aren't, fake it), no one bothers you, period. Now of course don't try to fight people, but what I'm trying to say is to keep with others, look confident, and know your surroundings, and you should be fine, drunk sports fans or no.

Yahhh for hotel parking and the car staying there all weekend!!! And just to point out my friend told me she got hit on by a drunk guy last year waiting for her boyfriend and it made her uncomfortable and scared, so at anytime, especially at night you should be with someone, and rude people are everywhere all the time, a games not going to change that.

Travel with a group of people when walking to & from your hotel or anywhere else downtown. Better to be safe than sorry. Those who downplay it or treat this like a joke won't find it so funny if they or their friends get harrassed or assulted.

Shhhh, shshsh. You'll be alright, Rich. Just take a deep breath. :D

To be brutally honest, I have more trouble with drunk ass convention attendees that can't hold their liquor or know how to behave outside of mommy and daddies house then I do with sports fans.

Shhhh, shshsh. You'll be alright, Rich. Just take a deep breath. biggrin.png

Oh, I'm sorry. I tend to be able to handle normal social situations and not hide in a hole when a normal sporting event is going on. It's called the real world.

To be brutally honest, I have more trouble with drunk ass convention attendees that can't hold their liquor or know how to behave outside of mommy and daddies house then I do with sports fans. Yeah you get some hooting and hollering, yeah you get drunk guys that will hit on women...and some men, hell you get drunk women that will hit on guys AND women! But every freaking year there is a sporting event, people act like this will be a rape fest and the wolves are set free in baltimore.

This is going to be real interesting... Now the last time there was a sporting event in 2009 (World Football Challenge 2009) I expected all sorts of things, but that never occurred due to the lower than expected turn out.

However with a Baseball game, I'm definitely going to witness the insanity that will happen.

Okay folks first off I'm not sure about the date and location for the Spurs-Liverpool game considering both teams website have them playing in DC at said time. Next it's the O's and they are playing the A's if they get any fans to actually show up it it will be a mircle. So please everyone stop running around crying wolf.

Yeah, the game a few years ago was really busy because they were playing the Yankees, but the Orioles have been pretty bad for a number of years now so their attendance isn't normally terribly high ^_^*

(as a Detroit Tigers fan, I can't help but feel for the loyal fans during a team's rock-bottom years, haha.)

To KyoKyo: Yeppur, I do remember well the last time the Empire came to town during the Otakon, and that wasn't much fun.

To JKid: The last time the World Football Challenge took Baltimore in '09 (my favorite Otakon BTW) it turned in over 71,000, and that was for CHELSEA vs. AC MILAN. It didn't seem like a big deal for us Otakon goers concerning those football fans, at least to me, and actually I expect similar sentiment for 2012. Just be fortunate we didn't have to deal much with Manchester United & Barcelona last year because that friendly was played down the 95 at the FedEx Field.

Every single Otakon I've encountered rude tourists, drunks, hobos, general crazy people, hookers, flirty creepy men - all while with a group - and you probably will too. None of which should tarnished your convention experience. This is just part of the urban city experience. Honestly, walking with friends in a costume at night isn't going to shield you from night time crazies. The yearly warning threads about who to avoid is getting old because there is nothing we can do about this. If by horrible luck you encounter a situation were you feel threatened physically there's always 911 and/or your martial arts skills.

(And no, I do not want any mention of that one particular man who sells bottled water, and you know who I'm talking about)?

I just realized the soccer match was the same day like just now. Downtown will be a zoo all weekend.

The good news: Orioles are playing on Thursday, giving congoers easy, cheap, classic entertainment.

Side question: What of the Matsuri this year?

We actually *have* had several issues with drunken sports fans harrassing our members, causing damage to hotels, frightening folks, and so forth. And drunken football (not soccer) fans attempted to force their way into the BCC during my year as Chair.

But those incidents are relatively rare and often exaggerated.

The bigger impact will be that you're essentially trading access to cheap, decent game day food stands and increased police presence for a HUGE increase in foot traffic outside the BCC and a major pain for anyone looking for parking. Even a *poorly* attended Orioles game draws about as many people as Otakon does, and the Yankees pretty much guarantee a full house -- nearly *twice* our size. Add in the employees and support staff and vendors and you've got probably 60,000 people in the Stadium area, plus another 35k associated with our event, all trying to move around in the same handful of city blocks.

We actually *have* had several issues with drunken sports fans harrassing our members, causing damage to hotels, frightening folks, and so forth. And drunken football (not soccer) fans attempted to force their way into the BCC during my year as Chair.

But those incidents are relatively rare and often exaggerated.

The bigger impact will be that you're essentially trading access to cheap, decent game day food stands and increased police presence for a HUGE increase in foot traffic outside the BCC and a major pain for anyone looking for parking. Even a *poorly* attended Orioles game draws about as many people as Otakon does, and the Yankees pretty much guarantee a full house -- nearly *twice* our size. Add in the employees and support staff and vendors and you've got probably 60,000 people in the Stadium area, plus another 35k associated with our event, all trying to move around in the same handful of city blocks.

With regards to safety,

I attended a game con in Indiana a few years back and they had placed small signs in the main loby of the convention center where people could gather to walk back to some of the main hotels together at night.

The idea being that you could just wait by the sign with your hotel's name until a few others joined and walk back as a group. Safety in numbers sort of thing.

Not that I saw any problems at that con nor have I seen any at Otakon, but it wouldn't hurt to help people group up at night.