Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libraof4swords

Maid Cafe

67 posts in this topic

This sounds like a really awesome idea, and I can't believe Otakon's never done something like this before. I was at one at ausa, and it was incredible. I hope this all comes together (and isn't just some cruel april fool's day prank).

I'm 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999etc.% sure this is an April Fool's joke, considerin that in the past, people have asked about a maid cafe at Otakon, and the answer has been "no" due to something about food in the BCC -- only their vendors could sell food in there, or something like that.

The only way I could see this happening at ALL is if they managed to be able to use some pace in the Hilton for it.

er, that should be "space", not "pace".(yeah, just realized I made a typo, and I can't edit my original post. my bad.)

I suppose we'll know its a prank if the forms are gone tomorrow. But it seems like a lot of work to go through for just a prank (actually making and posting submission forms that is)

Not a prank, I promise! It's just how the timing worked out ^^'''

This is a April Fools joke - I just dont see how a maid cafe could work out with a con this size.

and what food could they possibly serve? The Butler cafe at Anime USA works out because its in an actual restaurant that serves alcohol

As Toujourspret said this is not a joke. This is a very real thing and we are looking for fun volunteers to help make this a wonderful event for everyone.

If this is legitimate, when would the forms be due?

Now that I'm back from work and can actually write up a post:

Hi, guys! I promise that this is an actual thing--Otakon would never ask for your personal info as a joke! Our Maid Cafe staff is super-excited about putting on this event for the very first time, and we'd love for you guys to help us. We're accepting performer applications until the 14th. Applicants don't need to already own a maid or butler uniform--actually, that may not be as helpful as you might think, since we've got a dress code that's a little different and will hopefully set us apart from other cafes.

There are still many aspects of the cafe that are still being worked out; please be patient with us as we try to iron out the first-year kinks and set things up. Feel free to ask questions in this thread--if I can answer them, I will! And even if you can't join us on stage, we look forward to seeing you at the convention!

Now that I'm back from work and can actually write up a post:

Hi, guys! I promise that this is an actual thing--Otakon would never ask for your personal info as a joke! Our Maid Cafe staff is super-excited about putting on this event for the very first time, and we'd love for you guys to help us. We're accepting performer applications until the 14th. Applicants don't need to already own a maid or butler uniform--actually, that may not be as helpful as you might think, since we've got a dress code that's a little different and will hopefully set us apart from other cafes.

There are still many aspects of the cafe that are still being worked out; please be patient with us as we try to iron out the first-year kinks and set things up. Feel free to ask questions in this thread--if I can answer them, I will! And even if you can't join us on stage, we look forward to seeing you at the convention!

This looks amazing, and would love to be apart of it.

But what if I cant make it there for the 26th?

Would I still be able to join?

It depends. We've got quite a lot planned for the 26th--it's our "boot camp", after all--but if you make it through the application process, we can talk about alternatives. I'd really prefer applicants be able to make it to at least part of the meeting on the 26th, though.

But... Otakon has always said before that they'd never be able to put on a maid cafe, due to some sort of BCC regs or something. So unless you're using space in the Hilton, I honestly don't see how y'all are going to pull this off...

But... Otakon has always said before that they'd never be able to put on a maid cafe, due to some sort of BCC regs or something. So unless you're using space in the Hilton, I honestly don't see how y'all are going to pull this off...

Like I said, there are still a few things in the works; we'll be able to give out more info a little later, when we've had a chance to set some more details in stone. I can say that we're looking into working with our venue to iron out the issues with food, but that the cafe will definitely be more focused on the performance aspect and maid cafe culture than the snack/food aspect.

Omg, I'm so happpppyyyy this isn't an April Fool's joke. I may just have to get myself and a friend to apply. :)

I really hope this cafe is not why costs have gone up this year.

This will probably be run like Apple Kissa; the maids are volunteers and the snacks / drinks are provided by the BCC catering service.

With all do respect I think this a stupid idea why I understand why you want to do(Folks have been asking for many years now) but wasn't it last year that we heard senior staff say that the BCCC doesn't have a location large enough to be used for a Cafe. The only four place I can think of that can be used in the BCCC are the Gaming Room,Dealers Room and the two up stairs Ball Rooms that by my understanding are already booked and setup for stuff.

How do you plan on dealing with the long line which we all know will happen.

With all do respect I think this a stupid idea why I understand why you want to do(Folks have been asking for many years now) but wasn't it last year that we heard senior staff say that the BCCC doesn't have a location large enough to be used for a Cafe. The only four place I can think of that can be used in the BCCC are the Gaming Room,Dealers Room and the two up stairs Ball Rooms that by my understanding are already booked and setup for stuff.

How do you plan on dealing with the long line which we all know will happen.

Maid/Butler Cafe is only allowed to function if they do an elaborate rendition of "Be Our Guest." :P

I also had said friend apply, but they are not pre-registered yet. Would they need to probably e-mail the Maid Cafe manager with their newly assigned Otakon member #?

The reason we want applicants to give member numbers is because we want them to be preregistred for the convention, but as long as they're registered by the first meeting, there's a little bit of leeway. Please only apply if you are committed to being at the convention, though! There's a lot to be done before the con, and we only want to work with people who are definitely going to be able to see the whole thing through. Sometimes things come up and that's understandable, but it's not fair to the other applicants or our visitors to sign up, get a spot, and decide to back out!

Oh good god why!? It took me 2 years and 7000 miles to cleanse the awkwardness of last time....

5572_1212739486528_1470000035_30610669_184104_n.jpg

I dunno, I'm kind of with those who are expressing doubts about whether this will actually work. Otakon just seems way too huge for a maid cafe to be even remotely feasible. Also... I really hope this isn't elbowing out the Otacafe, which is my absolute favorite place to hang out during downtime. The only other place I can imagine having it is in a panel room, which really cuts down on the number of panels you can hold, which is also not ideal IMO.

When would the actual performers be announced? On the application it says that you should be able to provide your own uniforms, but for people like me who doesn't own maid uniforms yet, we might need some time to make/buy them after the actual participants are announced.

Oh goodness, I hadn't even considered where they'd have it. Please please please don't even consider moving in on the Otacafe, I love that place. It is one of my favorite things about Otakon, the fact that even if there aren't any panels going on I want to see, or guests I care about, I can just hang out there and it's enjoyable. And it's a great place if you or some of your friends really like singing anime songs. Or if you want to sit somewhere and enjoy newly purchased manga or something. Yeah, the manga library exists and you can do that last thing there easily, but I would hate if the maid cafe were to interfere with Otacafe.

Applicants who've been chosen for further interviews should hear from Maid Cafe staff by the 18th, at the latest. Uniforms will be something that's discussed at the first cast meeting, but I promise we're going to try to give our performers plenty of time to find what they need.

As for location, etc., as soon as we're ready to share that info, we'll make sure it's out there. Please be a little patient with us as we get everything together; we don't want to make any hasty announcements that we'll have to take back later!

What are you looking for in a maid/butler volunteer?

I dont think its a prank...im sure the contracted was reworked this year and thats why theres so many changes and they probably requested that food related activities be a part of it

And once again, Otakon comes through giving the people what they want.

I can't wait to hear the details.

Good job Otakon!

Well, it gave some people something they wanted and is worrying the rest of us who don't care about a maid cafe and don't want it taking up space that could be given to stuff we DO want... ^_^*

What is with some of this negativity? Otakon is trying something different, and we should at least give them a shot. Seriously folks, lets not jump to any conclusions and assumptions. No official annoucements have been made yet about the location of the cafe.

Just my two cents.

Hi All,

Let me reassure you, this is no joke. Elizabeth and her team have been working on the logistics of this for months to make this a reality. Please bear with us while we work through this. The first step is to get volunteers to participate. Once that is set, the team will take care of everything else over the next several weeks. Have faith that we want Otakon to be the best it can be and we love to try new things when we can. Yes, we have logistical challenges at times but our team has been working hard to find alternatives to make everyone happy. Think of this at a new addition to Otakon; not a replacement, not culling something you all love, but something new and exciting that we want to share with our members.

Hope to see you all in July!

~Jen

It's definitely an intriguing idea, and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. As for location... maybe the far end of the 4th floor lobby? Once you get past the line queues, I don't really see much up there. (Of course, I also don't know if said queues fill up the far end, either...)

This might be in the connecting Hilton somewhere - that way it's not taking up the OtaCafe room. To accommodate all the interest this is going to gather, I don't think Otacafe is even big enough.

I only have one thing to say about the differing opinions: Hey, you can't please every one.

It's definitely an intriguing idea, and it'll be interesting to see how it plays out. As for location... maybe the far end of the 4th floor lobby? Once you get past the line queues, I don't really see much up there. (Of course, I also don't know if said queues fill up the far end, either...)

Other than photoshoots, it's a rather empty area. That, and it would be a little sad to see the Otacafe get kicked out for this, even though the Maidcafe sounds pretty exciting. (I agree with what everyone's saying about lines, though. It will probably happen, though. Oh well...)

LOL, sorry I'm sounding so negative, I'm just really worried. I love Otakon and I don't want to see something I like shoved aside to make room for something I don't care about ^_^*

(hey, I know! why not just replace the Rave with this? >.>)

Other than photoshoots, it's a rather empty area. That, and it would be a little sad to see the Otacafe get kicked out for this, even though the Maidcafe sounds pretty exciting. (I agree with what everyone's saying about lines, though. It will probably happen, though. Oh well...)

For the folks who are running the cafe may I suggest something that is used at both AX and SDCC which is setting up a reservation like going to a real restaurant you could do it via here and when you pick up your badge you could have a table(s) setup with a sign up time and then iseeu some sort of ticket. I know that is how AX did it a few years ago and SDCC also did/does the same way.

just wondering when we would hear back from the butler applications? my friend got a selection for interview email right away, still haven't heard anything yet! o:.

We're still working through the applications (there were a lot of really excited people, which just makes us more excited!). If you haven't heard from us by the 21st, drop me a line and I'll take a look.

I have to admit, I am, as they say, intrigued. I'll be watching and seeing how this plays out.

This is great, and I agree that a reservation system will probably work well. Perhaps there should be something like a time limit, where if you don't show for your reservation your table is given away. I'm not too sure how best to work this out, but just thought I'd throw it out there so people can still have a chance to get in. Also, a similar method could be used if a reservation cancelled. Really looking forward to this!

Since this wasn't mentioned on the Maid/Butler page, I will ask. What are the volunteers getting in return for their work? Besides having to attend training and work 12 hours, the uniform isn't provided. I have seen a few other cons provide the uniform for their volunteers. Will they be considered gofers and paid as such?

All of our performers will be Gofers, and as such will be eligible for Gofer perks.

Will they be considered gofers and paid as such?

Will they be considered gofers and paid as such?

Also, to make things clear, gofers (and for that matter, the staff) are not actively 'paid'. Using prior years as an example, gofers have been eligible for perks such as meal vouchers and a con t-shirt. I'm guessing if you volunteer for the maid cafe, you will get these, based on the head saying you will get gofer perks. If you choose to gofer for other departments also outside of your cafe shifts, you may be eligible for other perks also; that's something that staff would have to comment on.

That's absolutely correct, none of Otakon's staff and gofers are paid in any way, the only compensation that we as staff receives each year in exchange for running Otakon is a food voucher, similar to the Gofer food voucher, a free hotel room for the weekend, and the waiver of the requirement to pay the membership fee every year to get in.

Has the suggestion of parental consent forms been considered?

I know the technical age of consent in Maryland is 16 years old, whereas the rest of the country it's typically 18.

They offer this feature at all the other conventions; Katsucon, Fanime, Sacanime etc...

I just find it unfair that individuals of 16-17 can't participate ;w;

Does anyone know when we'll be notified? A few of my friends and I applied a few days ago and haven't heard back yet!

Have many people applied? o.o It's so far away, but I'm so excited ^^

Does anyone know when we'll be notified? A few of my friends and I applied a few days ago and haven't heard back yet!

Have many people applied? o.o It's so far away, but I'm so excited ^^