Photo

Otaku Idol 2007

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
95 replies to this topic

#51 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:21 PM

Erm, just sent my demo in. Submitted twice because I forgot to attach a copy of the form in the first e-mail. Gomen! ^_^
"It's GENDO!!!"

#52 Jinirawks

Jinirawks

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:33 PM

The reason why we dont let minors use the internet to submit their stuff is because just that: theyre minors, we require a parent signature in paper form saying they allow you to participate in this.

but why mail the cd? sorry for the questions.. my cd burner is broken thats why ><

#53 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

God of Duct Tape Cosplayery

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 11:36 PM

You would need to mail the cd because you mail the permission form and info all in one package, and since we cant take anything by minors over the internet, you would need to send it via snail mail.

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Matsuri Guest Operations Department Head

Otakon Guest Relations

Otaku Idol Event Coordinator

Otakon Prize Wrangler Department Head

Otakon Multiple Hat Wearer

#54 Sylnte

Sylnte

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 06:40 PM

Are we supposed to get a comfirmation email that the submission was received from the website?
Roxanne Atienza
2006 Gofer #611

Now that I have one Otakon under my belt, it's time to go really really crazy!!!

#55 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 07:15 PM

I did not recieve a confirmation, so I'm rather worried. :?
"It's GENDO!!!"

#56 Lainforce

Lainforce

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

It's past deadline and I did not enclose a waiver? Can I still do it now, or can I give it in during the event?
Posted Image

#57 Chaoslight

Chaoslight

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:27 AM

It's past deadline and I did not enclose a waiver? Can I still do it now, or can I give it in during the event?

Crap! I forgot the Entry form. T-T I'm missing the song titles (Wo da ai ren, and Kiss~Kaerimichi no Love Song~, though that's the title of the mp3 >.<), our phone number, reg. numbers and our signatures.

I second the question.

#58 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

It said specifically in the rules on the Otaku Idol website that you would not recieve a confirmation email. You will be contacted soon if you have been chosen for the contest, as the deadline ends today.

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#59 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

If you are over 18, you can bring the waiver to us at con if you are chosen for the contest. If you sent in your song without the info via over the internet, email me your info and what song you did, and I will pass it along to the right person. You must do this by today, since today is the deadline.

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#60 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

I'm pretty sure I submitted twice, because the first time I forgot to attach the information.
"It's GENDO!!!"

#61 tygerchickchibi

tygerchickchibi

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:02 PM

Yay!

^_^ Hope you guys got enough submissions.

#62 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:48 PM

Lemme put it this way, if we got your submission, and you are chosen for the contest, you'll hear back from us within a day or so. We wont make any announcement on the BBS or the Otakon website, those who are chosen will know who they are. If you arent chosen, sorry, better luck next year, but still come out to see this years contestants, as well as the Otaku Idol concert that will open for the contest on Friday night at 10pm!

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#63 illsprawl

illsprawl

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:19 PM

Er, I submitted a file already, but I have a few concerns. Eheh.

When you told us to check sites like yesasia.com to ensure that an instrumental track of our chosen song exists, did you want us to simply be sure? I guess what I mean is...if it exists, you'll have it available, right? We don't have to buy it ourselves do we? (Sorry if this question is utterly retarded)

And for my second question, would a song like 'Real Emotion' by Koda Kumi count as our JPop/JRock song? It's the opening theme for a videogame afterall.

#64 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:34 PM

No, if you are chosen, we want you to have the karaoke track ready to go. Thats why I said check around to see if you can find it, so that you would buy it or obtain it somehow, and have it ready for use. When we contact you to be chosen for the contest, we will ask you to send us your karaoke tracks, since we need to compile them into a master cd to be used at the con. If you are chosen, we ask you send them in asap, since we only have 4-5 days from now until con, and its basically con crunch time for all of us, so it is imperitive you send them asap.

As for Real Emotion, it can count for your Jpop/Jrock song, as it is done by a jpop/rock artist.

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#65 illsprawl

illsprawl

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

No, if you are chosen, we want you to have the karaoke track ready to go. Thats why I said check around to see if you can find it, so that you would buy it or obtain it somehow, and have it ready for use. When we contact you to be chosen for the contest, we will ask you to send us your karaoke tracks, since we need to compile them into a master cd to be used at the con. If you are chosen, we ask you send them in asap, since we only have 4-5 days from now until con, and its basically con crunch time for all of us, so it is imperitive you send them asap.

As for Real Emotion, it can count for your Jpop/Jrock song, as it is done by a jpop/rock artist.

Ngghaaaaaaaa!!!!111dsu34

Is there anyway that we can flip through the karaoke library at the con early Friday to see if they have our tracks? We're getting to the wire here, and I'm kind of broke...so buying karaoke tracks that I might not even need (since I probably won't get picked) isn't exactly something I want to do. xD Also I still wouldn't purchase the necessary tracks unless I knew I was a contestant, and that still hasn't been anounced. *is cheap*

Thanks so much for answering our questions, by the way. You're a lifesaver. ^_^

#66 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 11:24 PM

There are other ways of getting the k tracks online, but I will neither confirm or deny the ways to do such. However you aquire them is your own business.

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#67 Lainforce

Lainforce

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:03 PM

Can someone post if they've gotten in? I don't want to be stuck in limbo here in whether I'm in or not. XD
Posted Image

#68 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:22 PM

We are sending out emails to the people we have chosen sometime tonight, I will post back on Monday morning as to who we have chosen.

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#69 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:49 AM

It is time! I have the names of the contestants that have been chosen for this years Otaku Idol contest. They are as follows:

Aaron Becker
Fawn Szymoniak
Meghan Williames
Shabram Salek
Alissa Purcell
Ayanni Hanna
Jacklyn Stutts
Katherine Cotton
Melody Yoo
Roxanne Atienza

I appologize if I have butchered your name in any way, this is basically what I got from the names on the demo songs.

If you are one of these 10 people, congratulations, you are in the contest! You should have or will be recieving an email soon regarding what to do next for the contest. Please respond asap so we can get everything ready for Otakon. If you were'nt chosen for the contest this year, try again next year, we had a lot of great talent this year, and it was pretty tough to choose our 10 contestants.

If you were'nt picked, come out and see the contestants that were picked for this years contest on Friday of Otakon, July 20th, at 10pm in Panel room 4. Listening to the talent we have chosen for the contest, it should be quite a show! Thanks to all who auditioned for the contest, we hope to see you all at Otakon and at this years Otaku Idol!

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#70 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:10 AM

Rock on! I'm honored to be amongst the chosen otaku! I'm sure it will be a blast!

- Aaron
"It's GENDO!!!"

#71 MelaraYuhi

MelaraYuhi

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:29 AM

Would it be possible to pull a person from the audience for a duet for one of our three pieces (not a random person, but one we've practiced with)

Also, you mentioned earlier that a song from a game was fair play for the J-pop/rock song so long as the artist was a j-pop/rock artist. Does this still apply if the artist is J-folk? (example: Rikki's Suteki da Ne)

#72 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:35 AM

As long as the artist is some form of a japanese singer, you're good to go. You could do J-folk, J-rap(both of which I dont think we've ever had) or whatever else you really want, as long as the song is predominantly in Japanese.

As for the duet, we really want just you to sing the song alone, so I'd have to say no on the duet thing.

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#73 BrakusJS

BrakusJS

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:09 PM

Dammit. Second try at this and I still didn't get picked. At least I can see the AMV contest on Friday night uninterrupted......

I know I can sing well, and I know people have told me that I do sing well, but it's just too bad that I can't sing as well as the people you've chosen.

Good luck with your contest.....
- Jeremy Soria
Otakon 2014 AMV Theater

#74 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:15 PM

Brakus, don't be too hard on yourself. Try again next year, you may well get in! In the meantime, I understand if you want to watch the AMVs, but don't be afraid to stop by Otaku Idol and check it out! If you got in, you would want people to come and cheer you on even if they didn't make it in that year, right?
"It's GENDO!!!"

#75 Sylnte

Sylnte

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

Yay! Otaku Idol!!! It seems like the level of competition is going be high which makes it more fun.

I second what SecondChild said. Try again next year and watch this year's competition to see what performance skills work and what doesn't. I regret not going last year. I think I could have benefitted learning about performance aspect of it.
Roxanne Atienza
2006 Gofer #611

Now that I have one Otakon under my belt, it's time to go really really crazy!!!

#76 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

See you there, Roxanne! :wink:
"It's GENDO!!!"

#77 tygerchickchibi

tygerchickchibi

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

xD OMG...

My heart just stopped!

@_@ I get...a second chance...... <3

#78 MelaraYuhi

MelaraYuhi

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:58 PM

IIIIII'm really nervous. I only got to see part of the second round last year, kind of stumbled upon it totally on accident. And i have absolutely no idea what to expect :oops:

How much of stage presence is "dancing" in this competition? I have some classical training, and so I know that stage presence can be had while simply standing still, but i'm not sure what judges are looking for.

I'm excited to see all the competition though! If it was difficult to choose the final ten, it'll probably be one heck of a show!

#79 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:07 PM

Our "Stage presence" definition is basically how well you get the audience into your song. If the crowd is really digging your singing and how you are presenting yourself and the song, then you are doing awesome. I tend to snag some ideas on stage presence from the stage presence god himself, Freddie Mercury. If you have seen any Queen concerts on DVD with Freddie, you know what Im talking about. How he composes himself on stage, how he gets into his songs, how he interacts with the crowd/band.

That is what we want from you in terms of stage presence. We want you to put a ton of oomph into your song, so that we feel your energy, the crowd feels it, and you will know if you are rocking or not with the energy you put forth.

Thats stage presence 101. Simple, no?

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#80 tygerchickchibi

tygerchickchibi

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:38 PM

o_o wow, so they're only one guy singing?

Not a lot of male entries, ne?

#81 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

Am I the only dude? :shock:

Well, hopefully I will represent and come correct for the guys. :P
"It's GENDO!!!"

#82 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

A couple of questions - pardon my ignorance, this is my first time. =0

1.) Are there going to be "rounds" - eg: Anime Theme, J-Pop/J-Rock, Free Choice, or do we pick the order of our songs?

2.) Are we going to have a wireless mic, or a wired mic?

I'm not planning on crowd surfing or anything (heh), but I thought it would be nice to know.
"It's GENDO!!!"

#83 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

There will be rounds. Im pretty sure the ones you mentioned, Anime theme, Jpop/rock and singers choice, are all in the correct order we will go in, i.e. Round 1 is Anime themed songs, Round 2 is Jpop/Rock songs, and Round 3 is your choice.

You should already have picked songs for these rounds, if not, get cracking on learning them and having the Karaoke tracks prepared(you should have gotten an email asking for karaoke tracks to the songs you choose to sing when you heard you got picked for the contest.)

As for mics, you may have a wired mic, we may have a wireless mic for you, we're not sure yet. We prefer to get a wireless mic, but we wont know what we have to work with until we get to con on Thursday/Friday.

As for crowd surfing, if the crowd is digging your song and theres enough people there...I'd still say no. The room we are in, I dont think you'd have the room to jump to the crowd and get above them high enough for them to catch you. So, no dice(trust me, I wanted to try this at so many of our concert gigs, and the room was never right, so youre not the first person here to wanna crowd surf.)

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#84 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:45 AM

The crowd surf comment was a joke, but kudos on being prudently cautious. :P

As for my songs, I have them picked out, and will be uploading to fileshare or whatnot shortly.

I just hope I survive until at least the first j-rock round, since that's really what I'm made for. :P

Thanks for the info!
"It's GENDO!!!"

#85 Sylnte

Sylnte

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:44 PM

Hi,

Jeff said that there was going to be a email sent with at-con procedures. Did anyone get one? Also, if we leave for Otakon before the email gets sent, how should we get info about rehearsal? through the info desk?
Roxanne Atienza
2006 Gofer #611

#86 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

Find me, or ask for me at the info desk/con ops. I will have a radio on me almost at all times, so if you need me, tell them to try to get ahold of me thru radio. If not, my cell number is 570-974-6762, call me if you cant get ahold of me and have some major last minute snafu. I will be at con tomorow afternoon.

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#87 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:35 PM

E-mail w/ karaoke tracks sent. Will check e-mail from hotel for at-con procedures e-mail. =)
"It's GENDO!!!"

#88 ShadowVash04

ShadowVash04

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:26 AM

yup, we got your stuff aaron, we'll see you at con.

Mike "ShadowVash" Flury

Otakon Guest Relations

#89 SecondChild

SecondChild

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:57 AM

Whoo-hoo! So much fun. Must begin preparing for next year... that would be helpful. =0

Everyone was really awesome, congrats again to Melody and everyone who participated!

To the people who went barhopping afterwards - you guys are the BEST!

Otakon 07 RULED!
"It's GENDO!!!"

#90 tygerchickchibi

tygerchickchibi

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:38 PM

;___; I miss Melody.

But I have a picture of most of the group. It's a little blurry, though. ^^;

http://img.photobuck...07/DSCF1020.jpg

Maybe someone will have a better picture.

#91 chrono

chrono

Fresh Meat

• Otakon Staff
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:05 PM

Here's my take:
http://ashitaka.myvn.../otaku_idol.jpg

I've also posted 2 videos so far... I'm having trouble posting others though, since Youtube has a 100M video filesize limit.

D.J. Wilsey
Otacafe Head

#92 evilm00

evilm00

Otaku In Training

• Otakorp Wiki Editors
  • PipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:18 PM

You can either split it, or maybe you could make a torrent out of it? Let me know if you need help in setting it up, or seeding...
Jason Duerstock
Otakon 2012 18+ Wristbands department head
Otakon 2009-2010 Staff - Head of Registration/2008 & 2011 Staff - Registration
Otakon 2006-2007 TCG #504/2005 Gofer #504

#93 chrono

chrono

Fresh Meat

• Otakon Staff
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:21 PM

I'll have to play around with a couple options... I haven't done video editing in a while :3 Splitting seems quite reasonable... reducing bitrate is also tempting.
D.J. Wilsey
Otacafe Head

#94 tygerchickchibi

tygerchickchibi

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:55 AM

Here's my take:
http://ashitaka.myvn.../otaku_idol.jpg

I've also posted 2 videos so far... I'm having trouble posting others though, since Youtube has a 100M video filesize limit.

^_^ cool, lovely picture.

I posted our vid, btw. =P

#95 Sylnte

Sylnte

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:01 PM

Awww, looking at the picture makes me all nostalgic. I totally miss you guys. I'm trying to get my friend Steve to prepare to audition next year.
Roxanne Atienza
2006 Gofer #611

#96 tygerchickchibi

tygerchickchibi

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:16 PM

I miss you guys too.