Photo

S.A.F.E. Redshirts Needs To Screen Their Staff Better!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Darthy Storms

Darthy Storms

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:11 PM

While I found the Otakon staff to be polite & helpful, the S.A.F.E. Redshirts staff seemed for the most part to be totally lewd, crude & rude. I sat at the left corner of the water fountain area Friday & overheard a lot of rude & lewd comments from S.A.F.E. Redshirts staff about female cosplayers. It's one thing to think it, it's another to verbalize such thoughs where there are ladies & children nearby. No doubt, the S.A.F.E. Redshirts staff is in some serious need of sensitivity training.

Kat the Timelord!

#2 Aresef

Aresef

Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:16 PM

BCC staff or SAFE redshirts?

#3 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,824 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

In both cases we've noted a number of complaints and will be addressing them with the appropriate folks. It's worth remembering, though, that there is only so much we can do about it unless you notify us (meaning OTAKON staff) right away.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#4 Darthy Storms

Darthy Storms

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

The S.A.F.E. Redshirts were the offenders!! Thank you, I've made the correction.

Kat the Timelord!

#5 Flying Scotsman

Flying Scotsman

Seasoned Otaku

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:33 PM

Just to clarify a little bit for everyone's sake:

Otakon Staff wore black shirts that said "Otakon STAFF" somewhere on them. We do almost everything.

S.A.F.E. wore red shirts and are a contracted "security" firm/service of/for the BCC. They basically watched doors for badge wearers or troublemakers.

Your complaint, from what I understand, is far from the only one about S.A.F.E., and supposedly there were some far more serious allegations made against them. I would ask that anyone reading this forum that has a serious, very legitimate complaint about S.A.F.E. staff (you saw one drunk on duty, one confiscated your camera/prop and you never saw it again, you were physically struck by one, etc.) please post details here (the more specific, the better). If your complaint warrants reporting to us but you want to keep details private, you may also PM our various higher-ups and ask to be contacted.

To say we're unhappy with the S.A.F.E. situation at the moment is an understatement. It might be safe to say that certain Riot Acts are being read, and "other options are being explored"..........

#6 Spetsnaz

Spetsnaz

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:27 PM

It seems like to me these "SAFE" employees have no business at all being in the security line of work if they can not handle themselves appropriately. I'm glad to hear Otakon is doing something about them, so bravo!

Is there a website or contact information on this SAFE group? I know you guys are submitting complaints and all but I'd love to personally give them a call and complain about some of the bad experiences with them I had. It gives that little edge and maybe they will learn to bring it legitimate people rather than random people off the street to do security.

#7 KSweeley

KSweeley

Otakon Staff since 2010, Otakon Attendee since 2001.

• Otakon Staff
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 04:45 PM

It seems like to me these "SAFE" employees have no business at all being in the security line of work if they can not handle themselves appropriately. I'm glad to hear Otakon is doing something about them, so bravo!

Is there a website or contact information on this SAFE group? I know you guys are submitting complaints and all but I'd love to personally give them a call and complain about some of the bad experiences with them I had. It gives that little edge and maybe they will learn to bring it legitimate people rather than random people off the street to do security.

Here's a website for SAFE Management: http://www.safemanagement.net/

And here's their contact info:

S.A.F.E. Management, Inc.
1101 South Russell Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21230

Office: 410-230-8087
Fax: 410-230-8081

E-Mail: safeeventmd@safemanagement.net

Kun Sun Sweeley (KSweeley) | Otakorp, Inc. Voting Member 2010-14 | Otakon 2014 Staff - Exhibitions Divison - Art Show Department | Otakon 2013 Staff - Member Relations (formerly Member Services) Division - General Staff Department, Otakon 2011-2012 Staff - Programming Division - Otachan Department, Otakon 2010 Staff - Staff Relations Division - Staff Pool Department | (former Gofer 2004, TCG 2005-06, 2008, Tier 2: 2009 #403) | Otakon 2001-2013 Attendee | Chat with me on AIM: WeezingPok | Add Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ksweeley/ | Add Me As a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ksweeley

#8 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,824 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:09 PM

Unfortunately, it's a sad truth that these are generally low-paying jobs comparable to your typical mall security guard. You're just not going to get very many outstanding employees --- though despite the criticism I want to emphasize that there are several standouts in SAFE that I would miss if they weren't there. It's a shame that they can't all be as great as that one older guy I talked to a year or two ago, but such is life.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#9 The Eva Monkey

The Eva Monkey

Veteran Poster

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:57 PM

It's one thing to think it, it's another to verbalize such thoughs where there are ladies & children nearby.

For the record, I consider that a sexist statement.

Aaron Clark

Otakon Vegas Panels Department Head | Otakon Panels Staff

Otakon 2010 Panels Department Head; 2009-2008 Panels Lieutenant; 2013-2011, 2007-2006 Panels Staff; Panelist since 2003; Attendee since 2000
Former Panelist:
Anime Boston, Katsucon, Tigercon, Anime USA, New York Comic Con, Tekkoshocon, Ohayocon, Anime Central, Nekocon, Anime Mid-Atlantic
Webmaster, Eva Monkey, an Evangelion Fan Website; Co-Founder, Co-Administrator Eva Geeks, an Evangelion Fan Community
Former Officer: UMBC Anime Society
| MAGFest Panels Staff | Former Tekkoshocon Panels Staff

#10 SoraVII

SoraVII

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:48 PM

It's one thing to think it, it's another to verbalize such thoughs where there are ladies & children nearby.

For the record, I consider that a sexist statement.

We live in a double standard society mate, though I would agree that it's sexist in that it's making the claim that men can't be offended by someone's actions or words or do not have the right to be and that is just not the case.
Joseph Davis
Congoer - 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009
Gofer #188 - 2010, 2011
Registration Staff - 2012, 2013

#11 Spetsnaz

Spetsnaz

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 12:48 AM

Unfortunately, it's a sad truth that these are generally low-paying jobs comparable to your typical mall security guard. You're just not going to get very many outstanding employees --- though despite the criticism I want to emphasize that there are several standouts in SAFE that I would miss if they weren't there. It's a shame that they can't all be as great as that one older guy I talked to a year or two ago, but such is life.

I'm a Mall security officer and I do not act the way many of these people act. It's not the highest paying job, heck I get payed 7.50 an hour and work part time. I have the job for two reasons: To give me something to do and make money and get experience, and to keep me occupied while I wait to get transferred into the academy for the Sheriff's office. I'm there to help people, and I go there with that attitude.

Not that I'm throwing blame at Otakon at all for this, thank you for giving me the contact information, I will definately be contacting them in the near future regarding their employees.

It seems a lot of them were very rude and inconsiderate of others. Yes, I do agree there were a small handful of them that were awesome. One guy I met at the fountain lobby entrance was a great guy. I walked in and out maybe five or six times, was greeted with a smile, given a thank you when I showed my badge, and he wished everyone a great day.

But sadly there are several rotten apples that have fallen in their batch, and that really can not be ignored. Hopefully this event will make management lighten up to what is going on and they better take control of their employees and let those who have a desire to assist and stand up to their company values.

#12 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 08:37 AM

Something to remember too...

If a S.A.F.E. staffer was good, please let us know, and we can let them know.

Good work needs to be rewarded, even if it's only by "Hey! Good job!"

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013

#13 4chanpartyvan

4chanpartyvan

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:16 PM

Ugh, I've had bad encounters with SAFE workers the past few years. I'm amused by the fact that I got yelled at for sitting on a railing, but not for my lack of a badge (which was in my bag at the time, but not visible), or my lack of shoes (also in my bag, for that matter!).
the web

how do i shot it?

#14 The INfamous MC

The INfamous MC

Fine, I'm guilty! I wear false eyelashes!

• Board Moderator
  • 6,386 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Please check the dates of topics before you post in them. If they are over 2 months old, you're necroing really old stuff.

*Topic Lock*

Robin L. Vial
Otakorp, Inc. Chief of Staff 2014
Otakon Staff since 2002, so I've done a lot on staff. Frm Gofer (2001) and TCG (2002) #117
Been going to Otakon since 2000.
BBS Moderator: The Originator of Staying on Topic since 2002