Photo

Otakon on .... Al-Jazeera?!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Xavier

Xavier

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

Just amusing that Otakon hit the English Al-Jazeera :)

This is the Al Jazeera channel for English viewers. Arabic version not available, but just a bit on the side of "wow."

Edit: *Curiosity hit me to see if they have an Arabic version, but cannot read much arabic, flail. looking...*
~ Xavier Valentine ~

#2 rotinoma

rotinoma

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

Anime is a global export after all--it's like seeing some japanese people put this together (including some otakon footage!)

#3 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

love the vulgar comments under it.....
Looking for a room? We can find one for you.
https://docs.google....1o1ZUE6MQ#gid=0

#4 Champagon

Champagon

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 05:48 PM

thats pretty cool
My Live Journal :D

Posted Image
[Upload photos] - [Download Photos] - [Chat] - www.animejutsu.com

Then you'll be able to talk good, like what i do.. -YU-GI OH abriged series
Thats Joey's fine ass sister, i'd recognize that "come hither" look from anywhere!-Yu-Gi-Oh abridged Series
HAIL Lord Illapalazo
4Kids Hater Since 87'

#5 ike

ike

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 06:09 PM

Anime is a global export after all--it's like seeing some japanese people put this together (including some otakon footage!)

I was just about to say, "wow, this is REALLY recent video, the Otakon panel's in it!"

..and of course, the largest, most organized (i.e. "hey everyone, let's not bump into each other whilst swaying and such") is in Akibahara.
this is my signature. there are many like it, but this one is mine!

#6 Snow Puma

Snow Puma

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 08:08 PM

Holy crap, the Yaranaika guy in Akihabara was one of the best and most energetic dancers I've ever seen in one of these videos. Even so, it's incredibly impressive to see people all around the world dancing to the same song. It's almost like a very nerdy campaign for world peace.
Posted Image

#7 Xavier

Xavier

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:32 PM

Back to topic ... I couldn't find the Arabic version but ah well *blasts self for not TiVoing it*

I know this sounds bad, but out of any television outlet... be it local, national, and international ... Al Jazeera's lil report is probably the best one I've seen of anime conventions so far ...

*blushes* one of the many times watching the channel kinda paid off for stuff I do, but first time I run into "ourselves" so to say. I like how they let anime fans explain ourselves, and not make much of snide commentary. I'll probably use the clip they have if people do ask me questions of conventions and what they are.

So by all means, if they come again, let em' ^_^ From what they did with the report, they'd be an actual decent news presense, believe it or not.
~ Xavier Valentine ~

#8 Duelistbluerose

Duelistbluerose

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:09 PM

oh I love this..... I had no idea al jazeera was there! They did a better job reporting otakon than the Baltimore news [which didnt take the con seriously]. My only complaint though....... and I see this a lot with the media reporting otakon......... they always focus on the cosplay and the crazies. I know that makes good news but otakon is more than that. we do have concerts, raves, workshops, panels, cultural things, etc. The media never focuses on that. ^_^

But still, I am bookmarking that link, so thanks!

#9 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,617 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:27 PM

oh I love this..... I had no idea al jazeera was there! They did a better job reporting otakon than the Baltimore news [which didnt take the con seriously]. My only complaint though....... and I see this a lot with the media reporting otakon......... they always focus on the cosplay and the crazies. I know that makes good news but otakon is more than that. we do have concerts, raves, workshops, panels, cultural things, etc. The media never focuses on that. ^_^

But still, I am bookmarking that link, so thanks!

Wow, way to necro that four-month-old post.
(HINT: Digging up topics that haven't been replied to in more than two months is considered a faux-pas unless you have something really new and significant to add.)

As for your comment -- for many years, the local City Paper and one of the regional critics (JD Considine) covered Otakon and the concerts, and the impact of anime and manga, were center stage. However, colorful costumes will always be more of a visual interest-getter.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#10 The INfamous MC

The INfamous MC

Fine, I'm guilty! I wear false eyelashes!

• Board Moderator
  • 6,372 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:13 PM

Since this was necroed, I am going to go ahead and toss the lock

*lock*

Robin L. Vial
Otakorp, Inc. Chief of Staff 2014
Otakon Staff since 2002, so I've done a lot on staff. Frm Gofer (2001) and TCG (2002) #117
Been going to Otakon since 2000.
BBS Moderator: The Originator of Staying on Topic since 2002