Photo

Any lolita (anime) cosplays for 2008?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 ArtisticGeek

ArtisticGeek

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

Since this will be my first Otakon and what not, I've been through two or three ideas of whom to choose and buy the cosplay costumes with.
So I've finally settled with a lolita-themed costume. I've got a list and what not, I plan to have all the essentials and even some extra add-ons.
Does anyone else plan to go as a gothic/lolita cosplayer? I'm buying a dress that's concept is from Chobits, especially since I love the anime.

I'd love to hear what you're going as and what your costume consists of :3
Make a list, if you can, of what would normally go with your idea for your cosplay.

List of materials
---
Bunny Hair Clips
Chobits Gothic Dress
Platform Lolita Shoes/Boots
Silver-ish/White Stockings
White Lacy Polka-Dot Umbrella
Silver Gloomy Bear
(Hair) Straightener and Curling Irons and lots of hair spray ^^;

Little Sister [Bioshock 2] -
100% completed (reusing from 2010)
Jade [Homestuck] -
0% completed ; Currently working on: Jade's Lunchtop/Strife Specibus.

#2 toujourspret

toujourspret

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:08 AM

If you want to wear lolita, why not just wear lolita? It's not like you need a special event for it, and the actual fashion is almost always prettier and easier to acquire than cosplay loli.

Elizabeth Hawkins

2012/2013: Department Head - Maid Cafe ♥!

2001 - 2003: Attendee; 2006 - 2008: Gofer/TCG #617; 2009: Treasury Staff; 2010: Registration Staff; 2011: Registration Staff/all over the place!

#3 ArtisticGeek

ArtisticGeek

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (toujourspret @ Feb 2 2008, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want to wear lolita, why not just wear lolita? It's not like you need a special event for it, and the actual fashion is almost always prettier and easier to acquire than cosplay loli.

I know but it's honestly not really big here where I live, and I'd rather not go into specifics because I'll sound like a hypocritical person.
I just figured, why not wear it to Otakon and actually be able to wear it where people don't mind, not to mention I'd enjoy it more, in all honesty.
A bunch of people are coming along anyway and I'm sure they would support lolita stuff (I don't know, but some may be coming with costumes as well).
As for the last statement, I'm not really doing a cosplay-costume, I'm making the outfit from different items from e*Bay. I really don't want to argue or anything if that was an antagonizing response (if it was at all) >>;; I'm new here and I don't want to fight and what not.

Edited by ArtisticGeek, 02 February 2008 - 01:27 AM.

Jade [Homestuck] -

#4 ChibiNeko

ChibiNeko

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:43 AM

QUOTE (toujourspret @ Feb 2 2008, 01:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is kind of not true. Its actually a whole lot easier to find a cosplay loli outfit then an actual lolita outfit. From what I gather you have to be careful what you call lolita these days or the little princess' will jump on you and beat you with their tea cups and petticoats. >.<

Artistic Geek I don't think Toujourspret was saying that to pick a fight. Just stating some helpful advice. :) As for my lolita I change my mind on what I'm bringing so much that I've decided to just wait till August. If its last minute I should be able to make a decision.

Edited by ChibiNeko, 02 February 2008 - 06:45 AM.

Shellby Foster
[Otakon Atendee since 2001]

[Otakon Staffer since 2013]

[Member Relations - Photography Suite Staff]

#5 ArtisticGeek

ArtisticGeek

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (ChibiNeko @ Feb 2 2008, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Artistic Geek I don't think Toujourspret was saying that to pick a fight. Just stating some helpful advice. :) As for my lolita I change my mind on what I'm bringing so much that I've decided to just wait till August. If its last minute I should be able to make a decision.

I figured that toujourspret was just giving some advice, but I said it just incase, I am new and I really don't want to say anything wrong and stuff.
I'm probably not going to buy my dress until late June, it'll be easier too because I'll know what amount of money I'll have for Otakon :3
Are you going to do a dark theme? I figured white cosplays are easier in the summer, and from what I've heard it gets pretty humid in Baltimore sometimes, not to mention I'll have an umbrella if I really need one :3

Jade [Homestuck] -

#6 Psycho_Sukafu

Psycho_Sukafu

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

If it rains, it's insanely humid, so you have the right idea with wearing light colours. Also might want to figure out a bag of some sort to carry water, snacks and money in. Just wondering, but are you familiar with many Lolita websites or communities; or do you have a friend that's into Lolita that could give you advice? I found it made me more confident when I was walking around dressed up.

#7 toujourspret

toujourspret

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:49 AM

If you're set on doing a cosplay lolita outfit (or any lolita-looking outfit, really), you should be careful where you buy your items. If you've got livejournal, scope out the lolita community there [http://community.livejournal.com/egl]. We'll be able to give you more advice that's better for what you need than just randomly guessing at what your goals are via the message board here.

Just a tip, though--checking EGL will help you find cheap lolita clothing, as well as helping you select which (if any) eBay stores to buy from. We've collected a huge list through thousands of users' experience and will help you avoid lace-monster travesties like Momo's Handicrafts Store or the Chinese tailors or the sissy dresses. You should also take a peek at Fan Plus Friend, a Chinese company of generally reliable quality. Anna House is good, too, though they seem to be on vacation right now (?), and of course there's always the EGL sales community (accessed on LJ, as well), where you can get brand name items for significantly cheaper than anywhere else.

Just a very slight warning--though I really didn't like ChibiNeko's phrasing, it is true that we're very particular about our fashion and we are defensive about it. Since you're not planning on buying anything until June, you ought to check out the Lolita Handbook and learn the basic rules of the fashion before you commit to any ideas. The most important thing is quality--no cheap, synthetic laces, no hanging threads, that sort of thing--followed closely by shape--depending on the substyle you're going for, it can range from huge cupcake skirts to pannier hoops to A-line to nearly flat. It makes for a fascinating study, at least in my opinion, and I'm sure you'd rather do it right than wrong.

There are also some fantastic panels being planned, pending approval, of course, including a fabulous fashion show and likely a reprise of the advanced lolita how-to panel (though I haven't asked the ladies who hosted it last year if they intend to do so again this year) and maybe a reprise of the DIY panel, as the DIY scene has become really popular and influential in the US. There are also all sorts of events that are planned off the books, like tea parties and swap meets and meet and greets and all sorts of fun things, and the best way to find out about them is to keep an eye peeled on EGL.

Elizabeth Hawkins

2001 - 2003: Attendee; 2006 - 2008: Gofer/TCG #617; 2009: Treasury Staff; 2010: Registration Staff; 2011: Registration Staff/all over the place!

#8 Usagi.Hoshino

Usagi.Hoshino

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 05:03 PM

I planned to go in lolita fashion, but the kera blazer I found wouldn't fit me. So maybe I will just use what I've in my wardrobe but I won't shout I'm trying to pass as a egl or anything. Now do any one of you do (sell) loli yukatas? I found one on ebay but as I said it wouldn't fit me T_T.

I visited the EGL LJ Community ^^ It's really nice.
Gofer #1009
Event Management Student
Dreams come true~! ^_^/***

#9 ChibiNeko

ChibiNeko

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:38 AM

Although my phrasing of it might sound harsh in a way its not. I've seen some of the way newbies to the lolita fashion are torn apart, and sometimes not with sound advice but with just plain female cattiness in the guise of "being helpful". (Off topic moment end)

Bottom line is if you're going to call it lolita you have to know your stuff. If learning all the rules and regulations (as I like to call it.) to the fashion isn't really something you want to do, then try taking a picture of the outfit beforehand and asking for advice. Although their methods may not always be the best form (IMHO) the girls on http://community.livejournal.com/egl, http://www.lolitasnap.com/, and even Cosplay.com EGL sub forum really do know their stuff.

Usagi.Hoshino I don't think I've found many good loli yukata's on eBay, however if your not opposed to getting it made I know a few people who do an excellent job on them. It really all depends on your budget, but if you're just looking for something to wear thats cute and cheap (But I wouldn't necessarily call it loli.) V-chan Studios on eBay has some really cute yukata's. I've ordered from her before and the only thing you really have to worry about is the length of the skirt. They tend to be on the short side which is why I wouldn't categorize it as loli, just something cute to wear around the con. Every once in a while she puts them on eBay for bidding and I've never seen one go over $40. So a pretty good deal. If you want one made:

http://www.taeliacstudio.com/ - They are close for commissions right now but take a look at the ones they have custom made. Wait time for a commission reply is pretty long due to school and other projects but they are worth the wait.

http://www.cosaru.com/ - Every once in a while they have some really cute (but a bit pricey) yukata's in their pre-made section. You have to be quick about getting the one you want cause its only one and they sell out really fast. However, they also take commissions.

http://www.cosplay1.com/ - Does commissions for pretty low prices. He can make a lolita yukata in any style that you want. I don't know if he has any examples of them in his gallery.

You can also trying asking on the EGL Live Journal community. They can point you in the right direction if these don't suit your needs.

Shellby Foster

#10 Usagi.Hoshino

Usagi.Hoshino

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:26 PM

Thank you!

Yep I know EGL is a fashion and has rules that's why I ask before hand ^^ I wanted to go with Wa-loli because is a less expensive and less risky way for a newbie like me to start in the fashion ^^.

Your help is really appreciated and believe me, I understand your concern towards something you love ^^

Edited by Usagi.Hoshino, 04 February 2008 - 04:29 PM.

Gofer #1009
Event Management Student
Dreams come true~! ^_^/***

#11 ArtisticGeek

ArtisticGeek

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:45 PM

This is really horrible on my part, but since this is, once again, my first cosplay, it's also my first try at lolita.
I have read up on the lolita styling and the EGL livejournal posts (a good amount too) and from what I've seen there, the outfit I have picked out seems ALRIGHT, but it's somewhat... revealing? I guess I could say that, from most of the pictures I've seen, the people don't have short dress bottoms, and if they do, they're wearing knee-highs and cute dress shoes.
As I mentioned earlier, I'm buying a bit below the knee boots, I mean, I could buy a longer dress, but I figured that it would be much too uncomfortable to walk around in.
It IS a chobits-themed dress and it has a long dragging back, sort of sloping upward where it levels out about... two or three inches above the knee. Obviously, I'll probably be wearing short shorts of the dress's color underneath it just in case >>;

From seeing all of the EGL pictures I'd have to say it bummed me out, now I feel as if I'm not really cosplaying lolita, but a sort of modern-day Chii dress >>;; If that makes any sense, you deserve panda cookies. I want to say it's sort of Sweet Lolita mixed with Punk Lolita (punk if you squint and tilt your head at an odd angle).
I'll continue to read up and what not, my friends think I'm insane because I'm taking this so seriously, but I really want to get this correct and not be a downright fool when I hit Otakon and walk around for godawful hours in this outfit.

By the way, I earlier found that if you searched something to the sort of Gothic Lolita Dress on e*Bay and sifted through the first few pages, you'd come across a yukata, I'm not sure if it's still there since I had found it by pure chance during the school day and I wasn't able to keep the page open for that long >>;
Thanks so much for all the links and advice, also, no matter how dumb this post sounds to all the lolita experts, please give only advice, no flaming ><

Jade [Homestuck] -

#12 .Schala.

.Schala.

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:56 AM

I say if you wanna wear a lolita type dress, and even if you're "breaking rules", or it's not perfect, who cares. If you like it and are having fun, that's what matters. Most of the people who wear kimono to Otakon don't wear them right either, but I'm not about to point my finger and be like "OMG!! YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!!!" and make them feel bad.

It's supposed to be fun, and there are so many anal cosplayers it really turns new people away from doing it. There are so many people with elitist attitudes in the anime fan and subculture communities, it gets on my nerves. And that's one reason why, even though I still like some anime and manga, I say I HATE most anime fans. It's good to be passionate about something, but so many people take it WAY too far. Not everyone has the time or money to make a 100% perfect lolita costume.

Wear what you want. Have fun. And if you've accomplished that, then you're successful.
Posted Image

#13 ArtisticGeek

ArtisticGeek

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:59 AM

Aw D: Thanks Schala, that was a really really nice reply to it all >w<;
Well, I'm thinking of buying some punk Loli and settling for that if it doesn't creep out my parents too much xD
Most likely it's going to be a Sweet Gothic Lolita costume or a gentle Punk Lolita dress ^^; Since I already have my mind set on a specific pair of boots.

Thanks guys, anyone else have some stories to share about what Lolita styles they're worn to Otakon?

Jade [Homestuck] -

#14 ChibiNeko

ChibiNeko

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE (.Schala. @ Feb 6 2008, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I say if you wanna wear a lolita type dress, and even if you're "breaking rules", or it's not perfect, who cares. If you like it and are having fun, that's what matters. Most of the people who wear kimono to Otakon don't wear them right either, but I'm not about to point my finger and be like "OMG!! YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT!!!" and make them feel bad.

It's supposed to be fun, and there are so many anal cosplayers it really turns new people away from doing it. There are so many people with elitist attitudes in the anime fan and subculture communities, it gets on my nerves. And that's one reason why, even though I still like some anime and manga, I say I HATE most anime fans. It's good to be passionate about something, but so many people take it WAY too far. Not everyone has the time or money to make a 100% perfect lolita costume.

Wear what you want. Have fun. And if you've accomplished that, then you're successful.

Actually I totally agree with this. I've always had a problem with the elitist attitudes surrounding not only lolita fashion but cosplay in general. However, I do understand where some of it comes from. To some of these people wearing lolita is not a fashion or a sub forum of cosplay its a lifestyle, and they want it to be protrayed in the right light for others who might want to follow it. (Though at times they don't go about it the right way.) Which is why anything I wear I call cosplay lolita because I know I'm not following the rules and don't really care I just want to wear something that's cute. But I do know enough about lolita to come up with an outfit that fits its tough standards, its just some outfits are cuter and don't fall into the lolita rules.

And Schala you might not point at someone's outfit and say something about it, but not everyone has as much common sense as you. I've had it happen to me personally; did I care, no not one bit, but not everyone has my tough "I don't give a darn" skin. So its nice to give a newbie a bit of warning a head of time so that they are not too shocked about how some people come off. I really wish someone would've told me ahead of time. ^_^ No one here is telling you not to wear what you want just simply inserting general knowledge of the style so that you have some information on it. I'm going to jump down from my little busted up dusty soap box and talk about all the fun things. :D

I always wear Kawaii Lolita to Otakon. The first year I did lolita it was an EGL dress and Motsue from MOVE called me Kawaii. (when they were at AUSA) I swear hearing that made me float on cloud 9 for the rest of the convention. <_< I did my first wai-lolita last year at AUSA but it wasn't finished, it was still adorable but it just felt so undone to me. Always wanted to try a punk loli but its always soo much easier to find kawaii and gothic.

As for your parents you should have seen my mothers face the first time I showed her my kawaii loli dress. She looked like she wanted to ask herself "Where did this kid come from?" The best part about cosplay is looking at my mothers face and seeing her reactions to it all. Its hilarious!

Shellby Foster

#15 ArtisticGeek

ArtisticGeek

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

xD;
The reaction would probably be the most hilarious thing possible from my mother, worthy of youtube I believe xD;
And you got complimented by the band M.O.V.E.? O____O
My friend who is in love with the idea of me cosplaying loli and the idea of just going to Otakon in general, said I'd look cuter in Sweet Lolita, my hair would also compliment the outfit.
>>; So now I'm stuck.
The dresses (I'll take the links out if it causes trouble) are these: Sweet (sorta) Lolita
Dress Possiblity
This is probably completely and totally disregarded as lolita but I'd just like to know, is there a way to somehow transform it into a punk Loli? Don't Click if you want to see Loli Dresses

Edited by ArtisticGeek, 06 February 2008 - 03:35 PM.

Jade [Homestuck] -

#16 Margi-sama

Margi-sama

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

I used to be a Lolita.
I didn't bother wearing anything even remotely Lolita-ish at last year's con because I was somewhat ill and I was afraid wearing a poofy dress would be uncomfortable in the heat.
I'm kind of glad I didn't wear a Lolita outfit after all, because I swear I must have seen about 100 Lolitas in one day, all in dresses that looked nearly identical to the one I was going to wear.
Then I saw even more when I was leaving the convention center on Saturday night.
Chii cosplay is EXTREMELY overdone at anime conventions in general, and I think Lolita has gotten to the point where it's pretty much overdone also.
And yeah, with the amount of Lolitas that I see at Otakon, you're almost sure to bump into one (or a few) in more expensive outfits than you who give you dirty looks because you're apparently "DOIN' IT WRONG".
I have found that "serious" Lolitas tend to be the biggest snobs about clothes.
Just a thought.
Posted Image

#17 .Schala.

.Schala.

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (ArtisticGeek @ Feb 6 2008, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
xD;
The reaction would probably be the most hilarious thing possible from my mother, worthy of youtube I believe xD;
And you got complimented by the band M.O.V.E.? O____O
My friend who is in love with the idea of me cosplaying loli and the idea of just going to Otakon in general, said I'd look cuter in Sweet Lolita, my hair would also compliment the outfit.
>>; So now I'm stuck.
The dresses (I'll take the links out if it causes trouble) are these: Sweet (sorta) Lolita
Dress Possiblity
This is probably completely and totally disregarded as lolita but I'd just like to know, is there a way to somehow transform it into a punk Loli? Don't Click if you want to see Loli Dresses

Ooo...I like them all. ^^ I say just buy whatever one YOU like the best. It's good to listen to advice from friends, but if there's one you favor over others, you should get that one. Afterall, YOU'RE the one who will be wearing it. :3
Posted Image

#18 PuffyPowerOtaku

PuffyPowerOtaku

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (ArtisticGeek @ Feb 2 2008, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I figured that toujourspret was just giving some advice, but I said it just incase, I am new and I really don't want to say anything wrong and stuff.
I'm probably not going to buy my dress until late June, it'll be easier too because I'll know what amount of money I'll have for Otakon :3
Are you going to do a dark theme? I figured white cosplays are easier in the summer, and from what I've heard it gets pretty humid in Baltimore sometimes, not to mention I'll have an umbrella if I really need one :3

it gets so hot and humid downtown, make sure u bring alot of hairspray cause it will get wild >< I would agree and say that the lolita cosplay has just overwhelmed otakon >< last year was everywhere. that doesnt mean u shouldnt do it though <_< go for it, its your first year so do something u really wanna do. plus not every lolita dress is the same so try to make it unique so people can tell u apart from the rest lol
~*~OTAKON 2007~*~
Atoli - .hack//G.U.
100% done
Kairi - Kingdom Hearts 2
100%done
-HYATT HOTEL-

~*~OTAKON 2008~*~
Rider - Fate Stay Night
100% done
-SHERATON HOTEL-

#19 toujourspret

toujourspret

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

You should wear what you want, yes. You should also be aware that a large group of lolitas, many of which belong to many of the so-called "elitist" lolita communities, plan to meet and converge into large groups (generally around 20 at a time?).

We do wear similar things. There are only so many variations on the traditional Sweet style available on the market, and Sweet style is what's popular right now (though Classic seems to be catching up as many of us are getting older and less interested in the MOAR RACE! part of the fashion). That doesn't mean that we're dressed like clones or even that we're all following some strict set of rules that don't allow for different styles. We're following our own personal preferences, and I think it's kind of ridiculous to say that everyone wearing a pink dress and petticoat is dressed exactly the same, just as I would be making a gross overgeneralization if I said that all people wearing a black shirt and black pants were dressed exactly the same.

The fact of the matter is that Lolita fashion has rules. These rules exist to keep people from looking like Chii cosplayers and Hot Topic rejects--a lolita who is actually trying, rather than simply slapping together an outfit that she thinks is "kawaii", has usually spent hundreds of dollars on the outfit she's wearing. If she hasn't imported it from Japan, she's had it commissioned just for herself or has spent hours tailoring her own dress so as to look as polished and well-put-together as possible. There's some serious effort that goes into the fashion, and it's really incredibly galling to see a group of twenty-odd girls who went to incredible lengths to look fantastic and another group who went into their local goth store, bought a black skirt and glued some lace to it, and then to hear that both are called "lolita" (well, usually they're both called "gothic lolita" or "EGL", though I forgive muddling of terms by outsides of the fashion)! It really feels like a kick in the face when you wake up at six so you can style your hair just so and apply your makeup artfully and carefully coordinate for the day, only to see people who look like they just slapped on a maid outfit and cat ears over their greasy, unwashed hair and two pounds of black eyeliner, especially since these latter almost invariably tend to proudly strut around telling everyone and anyone within hearing range that they're "cosplaying Goth Loli" when they really look like a hot mess.

The rules exist, and they don't stifle creativity. One look around the real Lolita communities would show that every day we're changing the fashion--adding colors, shapes, styles, variations, themes, and ideas to the plain old style--making it better, more elaborate, more fantastic and at the same time infinitely more wearable. No, the rules exist to help you, the newbies. They exist to guide you into making the right choices--lace-topped knee highs, which slim and lengthen the leg, instead of striped stockings, which make you look fat and dumpy and short; elegant skirts with voluminous petticoats that flatter and make the wearer look more demure and polished, rather than Leg Avenue skirts with triangle-shaped petticoats that make you look like you played dress-up in a hooker's closet--and they serve as mentors, showing you a way to take care and pride in your appearance without sacrificing a fun, playful edge.

I've said before, elsewhere, that there's only two ways to do lolita--be an "elitist" or do it wrong. I stand by that. If everyone wore whatever they wanted and called it lolita, real lolita would disappear, leaving the shattered remains of the fashion without a guide. When you say you want to wear Lolita, you must think about what you mean--did the lumpy black dress with synthetic laces dripping from its uneven, unflattering, and ragged hem inspire you to try your hand at something unusual and new, or was it the smooth, elegant dress discreetly decorated, so distinct and different from anything you'd ever seen before? The way I see it, if you're going to do something, you ought to take the time to do it justice.

Elizabeth Hawkins

#20 ArtisticGeek

ArtisticGeek

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (toujourspret @ Feb 7 2008, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When you say you want to wear Lolita, you must think about what you mean--did the lumpy black dress with synthetic laces dripping from its uneven, unflattering, and ragged hem inspire you to try your hand at something unusual and new, or was it the smooth, elegant dress discreetly decorated, so distinct and different from anything you'd ever seen before? The way I see it, if you're going to do something, you ought to take the time to do it justice.

xD; Oh heavens no, it would be a disgusting dress if I tried to do it myself, I'm getting it custom-made or getting one that seems to have nicely done detail and the such from eBay.

From the links I put up before, do any of you all know if those shopowners get their products (from the original people/companies that make these merchandise) from places that use good material or cheap material? Because I'd like to know before I shell out over a hundred and fifty dollars for something that will be frowned upon >>;

Jade [Homestuck] -

#21 .Schala.

.Schala.

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

I don't see why you're all oh-so concerned about what other people are wearing. So you spend hundreds of dollars to impress other people? Yeah, they're gorgeous dresses and a lot of time, effort, and money are put into them, and it's admirable at times.

What's NOT admirable is looking down on others because they're wearing what they want to wear, or trying to imitate it because they don't have said time or money to spend on CLOTHES, and because it's not perfect or high quality like your own, you stick up your nose at them.

If it really is "elitist" or "do it wrong", then I'd rather do it wrong and have fun and not care what other people think.
Posted Image

#22 ZGL

ZGL

this is spec ops, go ahead.

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

Okay, take a step back.

This topic is not the place to argue about whether your costume is "lolita enough." If you want to discuss that, please use PMs.

Otherwise, please return to the topic - whether you're cosplaying as a lolita, and what your costume consists of if you are.

Meredith Davey || Access Control
Access Control 2nd 2013, Communications Captain 2011-2012

Board of Directors Member at Large 2009-2010, 2012
Programming Section Chief 2010
Assistant to the Programming Section Chief 2009
Panels Ninja Department Head 2007-2008

#23 ArtisticGeek

ArtisticGeek

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (ZGL @ Feb 7 2008, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, take a step back.

This topic is not the place to argue about whether your costume is "lolita enough." If you want to discuss that, please use PMs.

Otherwise, please return to the topic - whether you're cosplaying as a lolita, and what your costume consists of if you are.

^^; Sorry for getting sidetracked.

So only a couple of the members of the board who are active are wearing lolita this year?

Jade [Homestuck] -

#24 4chanpartyvan

4chanpartyvan

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

That's a very well-thought out.. spiel on EGL. I agree with you fully.
I don't know... my skills are -crap- and I don't want to come in looking terrible, but I might do some commissioning... we'll see.
the web

how do i shot it?

#25 Yseult2nd

Yseult2nd

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 06:30 PM

Well, after some of the comments above, I'm not sure I should admit that I am doing a lolita-inspired interpretation costume. Two, actually. They're both video-game characters that I think would look super-cute in a lolita-style.

One of my latest favorite things to do with cosplay is to see if I can do an interpretive costume that people will still recognize as the original character. I happen to also really like lolita style, so I like to try to emulate it in my interpretations.

While I really try to do my best, I admit that I haven't made an in-depth study of lolita as strict fashion. I try to keep the general edicts in mind, and I don't think I do too badly. At least, I think it looks great, and I feel great in it!

#26 .Schala.

.Schala.

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Yseult2nd @ Feb 11 2008, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least, I think it looks great, and I feel great in it!

And that's all that matters. ^_^
Posted Image

#27 ochibicake

ochibicake

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (.Schala. @ Feb 7 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see why you're all oh-so concerned about what other people are wearing. So you spend hundreds of dollars to impress other people? Yeah, they're gorgeous dresses and a lot of time, effort, and money are put into them, and it's admirable at times.

What's NOT admirable is looking down on others because they're wearing what they want to wear, or trying to imitate it because they don't have said time or money to spend on CLOTHES, and because it's not perfect or high quality like your own, you stick up your nose at them.

If it really is "elitist" or "do it wrong", then I'd rather do it wrong and have fun and not care what other people think.

She is concerned BECAUSE she puts a lot of time and effort into her clothes. Clothing is an important part of some people's lives: it is a way to express oneself in a creative manner, and if one makes their clothing, that is especially so. It's an artform. Lolita is a spectular example of clothing/textiles as art in modern culture, seeing as so much of everything we wear is mass produced, low quality, and unexpressive. As such, people who DO NOT put similar effort into this artform, then try to pass themselves off as equal to those who do, are INSULTING.

It's not really a question of "looking down" on these people. It's really a question of tolerating people who are belittling what you worked so hard to create/present in a beautiful manner. Good for you for wanting to have fun and whatever, but don't DARE compare yourself with lolitas who work hard to present themselves as living pieces of art. It's exactly the same thing as buying a Monet painting, and then having someone else buy a print and claim that it's the real thing. It's just not. It's nice to have, but it's. just. not. equal.

No one is telling you that you can't wear what you like.. in fact, I'm completely encouraging it here! I love when people are creative and inventive with their clothes --- it's my favorite thing in the world! But it's not lolita.

It's just not.

#28 ZGL

ZGL

this is spec ops, go ahead.

• Otakon Staff
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE (ochibicake @ Aug 17 2008, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She is concerned BECAUSE she puts a lot of time and effort into her clothes. Clothing is an important part of some people's lives: it is a way to express oneself in a creative manner, and if one makes their clothing, that is especially so. It's an artform. Lolita is a spectular example of clothing/textiles as art in modern culture, seeing as so much of everything we wear is mass produced, low quality, and unexpressive. As such, people who DO NOT put similar effort into this artform, then try to pass themselves off as equal to those who do, are INSULTING.

It's not really a question of "looking down" on these people. It's really a question of tolerating people who are belittling what you worked so hard to create/present in a beautiful manner. Good for you for wanting to have fun and whatever, but don't DARE compare yourself with lolitas who work hard to present themselves as living pieces of art. It's exactly the same thing as buying a Monet painting, and then having someone else buy a print and claim that it's the real thing. It's just not. It's nice to have, but it's. just. not. equal.

No one is telling you that you can't wear what you like.. in fact, I'm completely encouraging it here! I love when people are creative and inventive with their clothes --- it's my favorite thing in the world! But it's not lolita.

It's just not.

Whoa. Two things: please take a deep breath and relax; and please don't necro old posts.

Meredith Davey || Access Control
Access Control 2nd 2013, Communications Captain 2011-2012

Board of Directors Member at Large 2009-2010, 2012
Programming Section Chief 2010
Assistant to the Programming Section Chief 2009
Panels Ninja Department Head 2007-2008

#29 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 03:13 PM

Thought I had locked this.

So sorry.

QUOTE (ZGL @ Aug 18 2008, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (ochibicake @ Aug 17 2008, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's just not.

Whoa. Two things: please take a deep breath and relax; and please don't necro old posts.

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013