Photo

Important Announcement Regarding TCGs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 kiryu

kiryu

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

What a bombshell! With this breaking news I have the following questions:

1) Can you reveal why TCGs were eliminated this year, and if you can what were the reasons?
2) Is this policy for this year only or forever (until Otakon modifies its Gofer program)?
3) If you are invited to staff what are the work requirements and what are the advantages?
4) When will be know whether or not we will be invited to staff - before Gofer preregistration?

I'll be coming back this year either way.
Joel Santos
Gofer/Tier 2/TCG #377/ Registration Staff
I'll see you at the rainbow bridge, Maggie.
NO I'M NOT MARVIN!!!

#2 vegeta70

vegeta70

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

What a bombshell! With this breaking news I have the following questions:

1) Can you reveal why TCGs were eliminated this year, and if you can what were the reasons?
2) Is this policy for this year only or forever (until Otakon modifies its Gofer program)?
3) If you are invited to staff what are the work requirements and what are the advantages?
4) When will be know whether or not we will be invited to staff - before Gofer preregistration?

I'll be coming back this year either way.

I was about to start this thread myself, Joel, you beat me to it. First, let me repost the announcement I just sent to the TCGs, so everyone is up to speed. The announcement is as follows:

Important Announcement from Gofer Ops

Attention all TCGs:

After serious discussion between Gofer Ops and Human Resources, with input from the Otakorp Board of Directors and other Staff, it has been decided to eliminate the Totally Committed Gofer position this year.

What does this mean? Well, for many of you, it means you may be invited to join Staff.
This will of course be subject to approval by our Chief of Staff, based on past performance and recommendations by other Staffers. Those who do not make the cut or choose not to join Staff will be welcome to remain as Tier 2 Gofers, with all the duties and perks thereof.

I will also be posting this announcement to the Gofer Q & A section of the Otakon BBS, and will be happy to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability, either in the open forum, or by private message or e-mail if you prefer.

I look forward to seeing all of you back at Otakon this year.

Clint Santos
Gofer Ops Department Head
Otakon 2009

Ok, now that we're up to speed, let me answer your questions. As far as the reasons for this change, they were many and varied. First there were various budget considerations; these are tough times economically, and like many of you, Otakon is looking to cut spending where possible so we can continue to bring you a great con experience. There is also a continuing need for experienced, responsible people to fill Staff positions. As far as I know, this change is permanent, but anything is possible, after all up until 2007 there was no such thing as a Tier 2 Gofer.

For those of you who are invited and join Staff, there are many advantages. First, you get in for free, no more paying up front and getting reimbursed after con. No more standing in lines. You get to eat at the Staff Suite while at con, if you so choose. You're also eligible for free Staff hotel rooms, and get to attend Staff-only events, such as the annual Staff retreat (ComCon). You also get to attend Staff meetings, and become a voting member if you choose, which gives you a voice in how Otakon is run, as well as future changes and developments. You also get to wear the awesome black Staff shirts, and a nifty badge with your picture on it!

As for responsibilities, they vary with your department. If you're in Staff Pool, for instance, you could be placed wherever the con needs you. How much you work can depend on the department you're assigned to, but all us department heads want to make sure our people get out and enjoy the con, too.

As for the invitations, all I can say is we're working on it. I'm going to get my recommendations up the chain as soon as possible, and I'm assuming the Chief of Staff will take it from there, unless they want me to handle it myself, and then I'll be happy to.

I hope that helps alleviate some of the anxiety you all may be feeling at this announcement. I look forward to seeing you all this year.

Clint Santos
Chief of Gofer Ops since 2008
Gofer Ops Staff since 2006
Formerly Gofer #561
Attendee since 2002