Photo

Parking advice?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikejones

mikejones

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

I had an issue with parking on Friday. I found a garage that didn't cost to much fairly close to the convention center. Unfortunately, they locked the garage at a certain time and I had to stay at a very expensive hotel for the night (as far as I could tell, they didn't advertise the hours). They did have a number to call if somebody's car got locked in, but they just laughed at me. The next day I complained about it, but they refused to do anything. They just told me that on Saturday and Sunday, they were open all night, so I was able to use the same garage, which again, was conveniently close.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for me so I don't have to deal with this next year? I would take a bus, but we picked up a weapon in the dealer's room and I might pick one up next year. (I was staying at a friends place who lived just outside the city, by the way.)

#2 ZGL

ZGL

this is spec ops, go ahead.

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

There are other garages in the area that are always 24-hours. The one that comes to mind immediately is the one near the Radisson and the Sheration City Center (on Fayette Street), but there are others, as well. Hotel garages are almost always 24-hours.

Alternatively, you could stay at a hotel, or park at a light rail lot and take the train into the city.

Meredith Davey || Access Control Lines Captain
Access Control 2nd 2013, Communications Captain 2011-2012

Board of Directors Member at Large 2009-2010, 2012
Programming Section Chief 2010
Assistant to the Programming Section Chief 2009
Panels Ninja Department Head 2007-2008

#3 righteouscookies

righteouscookies

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

Alternatively, you could stay at a hotel, or park at a light rail lot and take the train into the city.

Just be advised that the light rail does close after 10 or 11pm.

#4 Yhette

Yhette

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

Depending on how late you plan on staying, you may just have to suck it up on friday night and pay bigger fees for the 24hour parking. Otherwise for sunday and saturday there are cheaper 24hour weekend parking garages for the con. I don't recall the exact location at this time though. I apologize

#5 mikejones

mikejones

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 12:41 AM

Thank you guys for the input. I'll keep it all in mind and do better research of these 24 hour garages. I'd much rather pay a few extra bucks for those than pay almost $300 for a hotel for one night. I like to check out the fan parodies so I stay pretty late.
"Shut up boy! I have money and I can BEAT you with it!"

#6 tsimduckahs

tsimduckahs

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

I had a similar problem at another convention. At katsucon this year, I left my stuff in the car to get later, and when we went to get it, the garage was locked. We only found out later that during the day you can get security to open it, although by then I had already borrowed clothes from a room mate and it was almost sunday, so I ended up not using anything a brought.
You should message me if you are trying to hang out at the con