Photo

Cosplay hook-ups at cons?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Sonic Whammy

Sonic Whammy

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

Hello once again to the masses.

Ever since I got involved in this whole con scene 2 years ago (and witnessed it a year before that), I've had a thought that's racked my mind for the longest time. And being an Otakon vet now, I feel this is the best place to ask.

In real life, you see someone, regardless of which side of the coin you're on, that physically just turns you on in an instant, and you think to yourself, "I gotta/wish I could get with him/her." Well, at these anime cons, for guys like me, I know there's a lot of female characters that we find attractive, and when someone really pulls it off, it makes them all the more attractive, which leads you to start thinking... things. And for you ladies out there, I wouldn't be surprised if seeing certain guys pull off certain characters you like to perfection make you feel the same way.

But the real question here is twofold:
> Does anyone actually use cosplay as an excuse to physcially attract people to themselves?
> Has anyone ever actually "hooked up" with anyone at a con because of cosplay attraction?

It's a serious and wild question. And no, I'm not trying to give anyone ideas, but I've always wondered about this.

Anyone daring enough to share?
Stay Way Past Cool!

Brian "Sonic Whammy" Sapinski
Sonic Whammy Enterprises (Take our Card Sharks survey!)

Host of Anime Game Show Super Show

#2 TimLaptopm101

TimLaptopm101

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:04 AM

Cant say Ive ever gone to a con looking for the hook-up. Age is just too much of a factor being in my early 20s. A lot of the attendees are the same people I teach on a daily basis. I do however <3 Faye Valentine's if done properly but its not something I have fantasies about. Actually have never thought of an anime character that way.

Will say wouldnt mine seeing someone doing Rin from Mnemosyne!!

#3 The Last WaltZ

The Last WaltZ

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:46 AM

I've met (and gone on to date) 2 girls I met at cons over the last 6, 7 years. I guess I could say cosplay was one attraction (maybe just an icebreaker, if anything) I had towards one them.

She did an amazing Red XIII from FFVII. I had gone as Cell from DBZ that year, too. We're still good friends now, and whenever we talk about us meeting, I always tell her I was the hot one (I wasn't, I looked horrible, and she knows it too).

We didn't go onto 'hook up' or date due to the cosplay, though. Like I said, it was more of an icebreaker than anything.

I'm 25 now, though, and honestly, it just seems awkward. Hell, I can barely go to my sisters high school football games and sit in the stands without feeling awkward, because some of the things the cheerleaders do.

As for this...

> Does anyone actually use cosplay as an excuse to physcially attract people to themselves?

Come on, what woman WOULDN'T want Cell? :)

#4 Ikano

Ikano

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

I have a sneaking suspicion my cousin has this sort of mindset as she refuses to go to Otakon unless she has a cosplay outfit (and she's not the type to make em herself, she buys every single one)....and says the thing that she finds "the most fun about Otakon" is people taking her picture and calling her "cute", "pretty" etc.

But maybe I just don't understand that line of thinking cuz I have pretty low self-esteem in terms of my "physique"/"physical looks"
And....even though I cosplay, it's mainly for showing support of a fandom, nothing like the reason my cousin cosplays.
So...to go back to thee original questions, me personally: No for either.

Though I'd be rather interested how it's working out for anyone who has hooked up in such a way :)

#5 SoraVII

SoraVII

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

Though I'd be rather interested how it's working out for anyone who has hooked up in such a way :)

What happens at Otakon stays at Otakon.

*Shifty eyes*

Lol.
Joseph Davis
Congoer - 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009
Gofer #188 - 2010, 2011
Registration Staff - 2012, 2013

#6 MD Twister

MD Twister

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:49 PM

This is crazy, haha.

I guess someone who can really pull off a costume would be a turn-on?

=P

#7 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

I'd say that one danger of this is a problem common to theatre folk. What if you're crushing on the character, rather than the person in the costume?

Is she sexy because she is Faye Valentine, or do you really like Nancy from DC?
Is he a hottie because he is Jacob from Twilight or because he is Ed from New Jersey?

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#8 Nash

Nash

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:32 AM

i don't know why you people are saying age is a factor in cosplay hookups, you make it seem like all cosplayers are underage...

( ¯ω¯·)

#9 Sonic Whammy

Sonic Whammy

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

I'd say that one danger of this is a problem common to theatre folk. What if you're crushing on the character, rather than the person in the costume?

Is she sexy because she is Faye Valentine, or do you really like Nancy from DC?
Is he a hottie because he is Jacob from Twilight or because he is Ed from New Jersey?

Well, that's part of the issue to begin with, although I'm sure that some who ARE in the theater, movies, etc. consider that a perk. And everyone else has picked up on the other half of it. I think what it ends up being is this:

Step 1: You have the fantasy about the character every time you see him/her.
Step 2: You see the person dressed as the character, and when you see their already attractive natural physical appearance fill out the character perfectly, you are instantly drawn to them.
Step 3: You find yourself talking to the person, breaking the ice and getting to know them.
(Step 4: If things go that far that fast...)

So it starts as one, and ultimately plays into the other if it's meant to be. The key is that yes, the cosplay is the hook for one or the other.

But of course, I'll always be curious who has ever actively participated in this, either as the attractor or the attracted.

Feel free to share. Bottom line, it's just has healthy as just about any other way of getting together with someone, so if it makes you happy, you'll hear no complaints from me.
Stay Way Past Cool!

Brian "Sonic Whammy" Sapinski
Sonic Whammy Enterprises (Take our Card Sharks survey!)

Host of Anime Game Show Super Show

#10 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

one word will qualify you as soon as someone notices that you're trying to hook up with them over their costume.

creepy.

Unless you get that really low self esteem cosplayer that is just looking desperately for anything and you happen to qualify as anything
Looking for a room? We can find one for you.
https://docs.google....1o1ZUE6MQ#gid=0

#11 chibitakeshi

chibitakeshi

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

Cant say Ive ever gone to a con looking for the hook-up. Age is just too much of a factor being in my early 20s. A lot of the attendees are the same people I teach on a daily basis. I do however <3 Faye Valentine's if done properly but its not something I have fantasies about. Actually have never thought of an anime character that way.

Will say wouldnt mine seeing someone doing Rin from Mnemosyne!!

Lulz, I'm cosplaying Faye Valentine again this Otakon. ^^ Also my boyfriend will be coming along with me =P

On subject, I can't imagine hooking up at an anime convention, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised if some did.

#12 chibi

chibi

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 03:13 AM

I don't go to Otakon to hook up/find a relationship :P so I can't honestly say what this is like.

Alabaster does have a point though. Are you attracted to the person because of who they're cosplaying, or who they are underneath that cosplay? Granted that the subject of their costume is an ice breaker but once that costume is replaced by everyday garb, will you still find them attractive?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Heiwajima Shizuo though!

Edited by chibi, 29 July 2010 - 03:14 AM.

Otakon Attendee 2004-2013
2014 Awaits *_*

Current Cosplay Plans:

Kiryuin Satsuki from Kill la Kill

Mikasa Ackerman/Historia Reiss from Attack on Titan

Morgiana from Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic

#13 KitsuneTheFoxgirl

KitsuneTheFoxgirl

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:59 AM

A friend of mine started dating someone she met at Otakon a few years back...Sadly, it didn't last long...

#14 LynLethal

LynLethal

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

Sadly, I never have. And honestly I'm surprised that I haven't! I cosplay Yoko from Gurren Lagann and I have a thing for some of the Kaminas I've met. Then again, I've got a thing for Pyramid Head too haha. I think it's difficult to hook up with people at cons though because I find that a lot of con-goers are shy to initiate that sort of thing, myself included. Maybe if people weren't so shy, it would happen more often ^^;;