Photo

Sad News: RIP Satoshi Kon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,608 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:36 PM

I'm very sorry to report that Satoshi Kon passed away suddenly yesterday at the age of 47.

We don't have many details yet, but have confirmed (via Mr Maruyama at Madhouse) that it isn't just a rumor. Our friends at Madhouse are understandably upset; Kon was a phenomenal director and a huge asset for the studio, but also a good friend of Mr Maruyama, Rintaro, and many of our former Madhouse guests. To say he'll be missed is an understatement. This is the second well-liked director Madhouse has lost in the 13 months, the first being the director Takuji Endo (who did our 2009 opening animation).

I had the pleasure of meeting Kon-san several times, and have stood in his office at Madhouse's old office space (which strongly resembles the artist bullpen in Paranoia Agent). My sense of him is someone who was passionate about his work and the themes he addressed, and largely immune to the accolades heaped on him.

Obviously Otakon will arrange for some flowers and a card to be sent, but perhaps we can put something interesting together from the fans, who have long had him as a dream guest. I'll let you know what we work out.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#2 tstidm1

tstidm1

Redneck Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:43 PM

I thought it was a Twitter hoax until I just saw your post. I am in total and utter shock. He was one of the greats of my generation. I would probably throw an in memorium panel at Dragon*Con, but their schedule is set. He was an amazing director. It is a true shame. Could Otakon do a member event where three or four of his films are shown at a Baltimore/DC area theatre in the next few weeks?
Tom Stidman
Gofer #1204
On my second tour of Duty as a Gofer

#3 onsenmark

onsenmark

Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:22 PM

I thought it was a joke myself until I saw it on ANN.

Now... I dunno. It hasn't quite sunk in yet, I think. ;_;

Give me cheese to go with my whine.

Thinking about Otakon 2013:

Franken Stein - Soul Eater

#4 The Eva Monkey

The Eva Monkey

Veteran Poster

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:30 PM

Kon is one of my favorite directors. I'll certainly miss seeing his creative filmmaking expressed in new and interesting ways.

Aaron Clark

Otakon Vegas Panels Department Head | Otakon Panels Staff

Otakon 2010 Panels Department Head; 2009-2008 Panels Lieutenant; 2013-2011, 2007-2006 Panels Staff; Panelist since 2003; Attendee since 2000
Former Panelist:
Anime Boston, Katsucon, Tigercon, Anime USA, New York Comic Con, Tekkoshocon, Ohayocon, Anime Central, Nekocon, Anime Mid-Atlantic
Webmaster, Eva Monkey, an Evangelion Fan Website; Co-Founder, Co-Administrator Eva Geeks, an Evangelion Fan Community
Former Officer: UMBC Anime Society
| MAGFest Panels Staff | Tekkoshocon Panels Staff

#5 Daryl Surat

Daryl Surat

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:31 PM

I wasn't present for it, but following the release of Paprika Satoshi Kon came to New York City, where a retrospective of his work was held. He closed by noting that he was too young to have a retrospective, and that perhaps they should invite him back after he's made a few more films.

Sadly, it appears that was to be his final retrospective after all. At 47 years old, Kon's death--"too young" is right--came at the same age as that of Studio Ghibli's Yoshifumi Kondo, the director of Whispers of the Heart who was on track to succeed Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. Like Kondo, the death of Satoshi Kon further emphasizes the fact that there are so few up-and-coming anime directors under the age of 50 to take the reins from the generations preceding them. Indeed, many of the most notable such talents are directors such as Mamoru Hosoda, Masaaki Yuasa, and Takeshi Koike, all of whom also work at Madhouse. Death is always a tragedy, but with the global anime industry in its current condition, the loss of such a critical talent is particularly damaging. In illustration of this, I observe that several of Satoshi Kon's major works are currently out of print in the US.

On a tangential note: on Sunday, for the first time in my life, I went and bought a poster frame since my years worth of collecting posters had all been for naught by virtue of the fact that I'd never put any of them up. The question dawned on me: which poster do I choose to put up out of all the ones I owned? I looked over what I had, and in the end I decided one deserved to be up on my otherwise-empty walls more than the rest:

It was the poster for Millennium Actress.

Edited by Daryl Surat, 24 August 2010 - 02:34 PM.

Anime World Order: my award-winning podcast about Japanese cartoons and comics!
Otaku USA Magazine: please read my articles in print and on the web! Now on Kindle, Nook, and iOS!

#6 rotinoma

rotinoma

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:38 PM

Words can hardly express the grief and surprise all this came to me!

I won't namedrop other greats of now and yesteryear, but I just hope that somehow Kon understood the impact of his works among not only his fans but everyone that has touched the lives of those who has been influenced and inspired by his works. Despite his relative youth he was one of the best animators and directors among us. Kon has a lasting legacy that I hope fans and lovers of great cinema alike will carry on with us. After all he had accomplished few has done and many dreamed of!

#7 TheBigN

TheBigN

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:45 PM

Kon was one of my favorite directors in general, anime or otherwise. Hearing about his death (I do feel like it's way too soon) is surprising and very depressing, as I had been expecting many more works from him in the future. As others have said, I think it's a huge blow to Madhouse and to the anime industry general as a whole. I can only hope that his works can be introduced to many people who did not know about them beforehand, since they are some of the best that anime can offer, in my opinion.

#8 DarkAntiCrista

DarkAntiCrista

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

Too young. I am indeed grief-stricken. I can only imagine what friends and family must feel. RIP Satoshi Kon

#9 kaki

kaki

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:41 PM

I'll echo what Jim said, but Kon-san was truly a kind man. He was filled with smiles and jokes and just a pleasant person. He will be missed.
Kaki Hu
Guest Relations
Tokyo Outreach
Otakon 2010

#10 youjik33

youjik33

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

I saw this on a friend's LiveJournal a little while ago and hoped it was just a rumor or misinformation. Every one of his works was just so amazing. I suppose in one sense it's a fantastic thing that he made so many wonderful films (and Paranoia Agent), but on the other, it's so depressing that he'll never do any more.

I'm really kind of in shock right now.

Otakon 2013 Cosplay Plans (tentative):

Enjolras (Les Miserables - stage version -- OR IS THAT "ARM JOE" VERSION)

Tsuritama not-really-a-cosplay cosplay (Hemingway store employee apron, with incorrect hair to actually be Misaki this time)

#11 windseeker

windseeker

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

Damn...Millenium Actress is my favorite anime film. I don't think any film has made me cry so much :D

Otakon attendee: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013
2011 1st time Gofer #178

#12 NOTanOTAKU

NOTanOTAKU

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

I am terribly shocked by the news. I never had the honor of meeting Satoshi Kon in person, but I loved his works. He was such a talented director. Rest in peace, Satoshi Kon.

#13 summersnow

summersnow

Fresh Meat

• Otakon Staff
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:07 AM

Having this as the first news that I read this morning is not something that anyone can really digest. Satoshi Kon sensei's work have been simply genius and a great influence in many people. He will be greatly missed but will never be forgotten. =(

Rest In Peace.
- summersnow
animator::illustrator::jewelry designer
http://www.pinkimoon.com

#14 Violet Firefly

Violet Firefly

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:05 AM

...I don't even know what to say. I'm devastated.

#15 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,608 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

Since ANN has more up to date information, I'm providing a link to their page on the matter. Included are translations of notices and thanks posted by both Madhouse and Kon's wife, as well as a note from Kon himself. I warn you, it's kind of tough to read.

http://www.animenews...out-his-passing

Jim Vowles

Previously:

#16 bobn64

bobn64

Seasoned Otaku

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:56 AM

Here is a partial translation of his last message (originally posted in Japanese on his own website).
Bob Klemens
Information Technology Director
BBS Administrator
Otakon Vegas 2014 Director of Logistics & Operations

#17 Violet Firefly

Violet Firefly

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

Wow. Those links are tough. Wow.

So sad. Such a talented person. Goddamn.

#18 KSweeley

KSweeley

Otakon Staff since 2010, Otakon Attendee since 2001.

• Otakon Staff
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:15 PM

Damn... What very saddening news. I first heard about this yesterday while on the Light Rail on my way home from my doctor from a friend on AIM. He told me if I heard that Satoshi Kon died and I was like "What? Seriously, when?" and he told me. When I got home, I saw the ANN news story and I was like "Damn... We have lost a very good director..." and today when I saw on ANN that he died due to pancreatic cancer, I was like "Holy f**k... This is totally awful." and I was actually crying when I read that.

R.I.P Satoshi Kon.

Thank you Jim for telling us about the passing of a very good and promising director and it would be awesome if Otakon could do something involving the fans to show MADHOUSE and his wife their condolences and their appreciation of his works.

Kun Sun Sweeley (KSweeley) | Otakorp, Inc. Voting Member 2010-14 | Otakon 2014 Staff - ???? Divison - ???? Department | Otakon 2013 Staff - Member Relations (formerly Member Services) Division - General Staff Department, Otakon 2011-2012 Staff - Programming Division - Otachan Department, Otakon 2010 Staff - Staff Relations Division - Staff Pool Department | (former Gofer 2004, TCG 2005-06, 2008, Tier 2: 2009 #403) | Otakon 2001-2013 Attendee | Chat with me on AIM: WeezingPok | Add Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ksweeley/ | Add Me As a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ksweeley

#19 bobn64

bobn64

Seasoned Otaku

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

Here is a full translation of Satoshi Kon's last words:
http://www.makikoito...kons-last-words

:mellow:
Bob Klemens
Information Technology Director
BBS Administrator
Otakon Vegas 2014 Director of Logistics & Operations

#20 rotinoma

rotinoma

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:32 AM

Reading that it sounds like we really should do something for Maruyama-san...

#21 Violet Firefly

Violet Firefly

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

At first I didn't want to read this...and even though I cried through the whole thing I'm glad I did.

So sad. But I'm glad he had to opportunity to share his amazing vision with the world. Satoshi Kon will certainly never be forgotten.

#22 GlitteringLoke

GlitteringLoke

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

Thank you for this - although I just used the last of the kleenex at my desk and my coworkers are probably wondering why i'm a sobby mess
Cosplay 2011: Kagetoki (Haruka3), Michiru (zombie loan), Milard/Mirald (Tales of Phantasia)
Cosplay 2012: Sarasa (Basara), Veigue - Carta style (Tales of Magic Carta/Rebirth), Michiru (Zombie Loan)

#23 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,608 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:53 PM

Reading that it sounds like we really should do something for Maruyama-san...

Trust me, we will. He's busy helping sort out memorial and funeral stuff, as well as how to proceed with DREAM MACHINES now that Kon is not available to fulfill his own vision. It's clear that this hit Maruyama pretty hard, and you can see a bit of the closeness he and Satoshi Kon shared in Kon's farewell message. I've been talking with our Madhouse contacts about this and they're all keeping an eye on him. Madhouse is, for better or worse, rather like Otakon in that the staff are sort of a crazy family, and everyone loves the patriarch of the clan.

If everyone who appreciated Kon's works went out and bought the DVD for your favorite Kon film, that might be a useful and appreciated gesture. But at the moment, rest assured that the honest outpouring of grief from fandom -- both here and on ANN's forums, as well as on dozens of personal blogs and other news and community members -- has not gone unnoticed. The shockwaves are rippling throughout the anime world, and I'm not exaggerating in the slightest.

We're looking at precisely what is appropriate for us to do to express our official condolences. Obviously we will send a card to Madhouse (as we did for Endo-san who worked on our animation last year, and who passed just a few weeks prior to the con), and possibly to the family.

Because our president and con chair (Alice & Sean) are in Japan now, we will almost certainly have someone officially representing Otakon, and by extension US fandom, at whatever public memorial materializes. Other friends will be there and And we'll send either flowers or some other culturally appropriate token of condolence.

I'm still mulling over something nice that would allow fans to share their memories, but I want to clear that with our Madhouse friends first, and they're a little busy. Perhaps a retrospective, perhaps a fundraiser for pancreatic cancer research, I'm not sure yet but we'll let you know.

Jim Vowles

Previously:

#24 wolfy2005

wolfy2005

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:32 PM

I had been without internet for the last week so I didn't find out until last night. I was lucky enough to see him in person back in 2003 at the premier of Tokyo Godfathers at Big Apple Anime Fest and I remember how at the Q and A after the movie what a funny insightful guy he was. This has truly come as a shock to me as he was one of my favorite directors, anime or otherwise. I'm really sad now ;_;