Photo

gofer hours

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 neomattlac

neomattlac

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:14 PM

When do we learn of what hours do we work, and if we will be working? :ph34r:
I included the times I would like to work in the application(Friday morning, nights, all of Sunday). Its just that I like to know my plans months ahead of time(to the point where I have taken over school groups so that I could have those plans).
Also, what did you gofer-veterans think of gofering? Any one have bad experiences?

#2 Mezi

Mezi

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 11:08 PM

When do we learn of what hours do we work, and if we will be working? :D
I included the times I would like to work in the application(Friday morning, nights, all of Sunday). Its just that I like to know my plans months ahead of time(to the point where I have taken over school groups so that I could have those plans).
Also, what did you gofer-veterans think of gofering? Any one have bad experiences?

I can't answer anything about the hours, but I can tell you that I personally loved gofering. I did two years of it (2008 and 2010) and I'd be doing it again if I hadn't moved up to staff for this year. In particular I really liked working with Registration, and I can't really think of any bad experiences I had other than the video rooms were always really cold (I learned to bring a hoodie with me after the first time, because of it).
Sarah Mummert
Info Desk Staff 2014, Registration Staff 2011, 2013 (previously gofer #10868)

#3 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 07:57 AM

When do we learn of what hours do we work, and if we will be working? :D

Hi,

We take into account your requests when we schedule, but we won't be able to give you that schedule until closer to the con. Because we are working with so many variants, we will not be able to give you months of advance warning as to when you'll be working though.

You will receive a confirmation letter about your spot in Gofering if you have pre-registered. Those should be going out in the next week for the people who have pre-registered up to this point.

I was a Gofer in 1995, and did Door Guard Duty. That was back in the only time the video theaters were run from one main Video Operations Room. The room was locked, and I was the person who opened and closed it when staff needed to get in. Felt sort of like a speakeasy.

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013

#4 neomattlac

neomattlac

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:27 AM

I don't mind the cold theater rooms... XD

#5 Ikano

Ikano

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

normally....gofer scheduling starts when the otakon schedule comes out (otherwise how will you know what panels etc? you'd want to watch or skip?)

Me, my mom and bro all started gofering since 2007 and we all love it-- it's slowly become our main reason for coming (as sad as that may sound).
Personally I haven't had any 'very bad' experiences gofering besides maybe this one instance of working really late at night one year [which I won't go into the details of] way in the beginning, but otherwise it's quite a fun and interesting "approach to Otakon" so-to-speak.

EeChiann Shen

2003-2006 -- "regular" con attendee ||
2007 - 2014 -- Gofer #108
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 planned cosplay: Sanae Y (Suikoden 3)

#6 neomattlac

neomattlac

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

If you don't mind, I would like to hear about your bad experience.
I just want to know how I should prepare; sweaters, food, mace, spiked mace, club, etc.

#7 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:05 PM

normally....gofer scheduling starts when the otakon schedule comes out (otherwise how will you know what panels etc? you'd want to watch or skip?)

Me, my mom and bro all started gofering since 2007 and we all love it-- it's slowly become our main reason for coming (as sad as that may sound).
Personally I haven't had any 'very bad' experiences gofering besides maybe this one instance of working really late at night one year [which I won't go into the details of] way in the beginning, but otherwise it's quite a fun and interesting "approach to Otakon" so-to-speak.

I don't think it sounds sad. My family all come to work as Staff, so... you'll find a remarkable similarity there.

I am also interested in hearing about issues and experiences - it will help us to take some positive steps. But why don't I start a separate topic for that.

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013

#8 Ikano

Ikano

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

I just want to know how I should prepare; sweaters, food, mace, spiked mace, club, etc.

I wouldn't say it was "bad" per se...I just found it a tad scary for one who's never worked that late before (nor that department for that matter).

I look back at it now though it wasn't really a big deal.....I don't really want to post about it out here in case affected party/parties see it and I don't know...have a negative reaction to how I explain it? *shrug*

I should say however-- somewhat in relation to that, that unless your hotel is close to the con or you plan to meet up with friends to walk each other back to the hotels, it is wise not to schedule yourself to work real late. Some departments I was with some years were cool enough that when they weren't so busy they let me off a few minutes early cuz it was real late....but in the end, don't underestimate Baltimore streets late at night.

Not to sound like it's completely dangerous either though (and the 'experience' I had isn't directly related to what I'm saying either...if you're still curious about that...)--- I mean, I still schedule myself to work real late irregardless.
....I guess I'm just trying to say, be smart/realistic when you're scheduling your work hours. Not just for late night but giving time for you during the course of the day to eat and take a break...snooze in your hotel room, whatever else you need to do to recharge yourself as well.

Edited by Nadistu, 03 May 2011 - 01:37 PM.

EeChiann Shen

2003-2006 -- "regular" con attendee ||
2007 - 2014 -- Gofer #108
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 planned cosplay: Sanae Y (Suikoden 3)

#9 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:25 PM

I wouldn't say it was "bad" per se...I just found it a tad scary for one who's never worked that late before (nor that department for that matter).

I look back at it now though it wasn't really a big deal.....I don't really want to post about it out here in case affected party/parties see it and I don't know...have a negative reaction to how I explain it? *shrug*

I should say however-- somewhat in relation to that, that unless your hotel is close to the con or you plan to meet up with friends to walk each other back to the hotels, it is wise not to schedule yourself to work real late. Some departments I was with some years were cool enough that when they weren't so busy they let me off a few minutes early cuz it was real late....but in the end, don't underestimate Baltimore streets late at night.

Not to sound like it's completely dangerous either though (and the 'experience' I had isn't directly related to what I'm saying either...if you're still curious about that...)--- I mean, I still schedule myself to work real late irregardless.
....I guess I'm just trying to say, be smart/realistic when you're scheduling your work hours. Not just for late night but giving time for you during the course of the day to eat and take a break...snooze in your hotel room, whatever else you need to do to recharge yourself as well.

The year I was vice chair, and the year I was con chair, I was one of the last people to leave the building each night. I'd walk back to my hotel with the Spec Ops staff after we cleared the building. Yes, we still do that, but at the time it was fun to make sure people weren't hiding in the bathrooms. I made the head of Spec Ops (a gentleman) clear the women's rooms. Hee hee hee. Guys seem to think the Ladies' Rooms have arcane trappings.

Anyway, best thing to do when going back to your room is to go en mass. There should be enough staff or other gofers leaving that you can get a group together to walk together.

In 2001 (4 a.m.) I saw a rat the size of a chihuahua. That was the year of the toxic waste in the sewers, and the exploding manhole covers. They were running the fire hydrants at night to get the waste and gas out of the system, and it made the rats come up into the open.

Meanwhile, you're absolutely correct. Take care of yourself, because you're the one who can do it best. If we waited for someone else to do it, we'd be passing out from starvation and lack of sleep.

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013

#10 neomattlac

neomattlac

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:12 PM

Of course I plan to take care of myself, after all, I'm a big self-indulger. XD
My hotel is a good block from the convention center. The "Hampton on the corner," as I like to call it. Its over by the Pickles(I think?) bar.
I'm a pretty big(fat, not muscle, but I have broad shoulders) guy, but I'm still somewhat afraid of walking back by myself(I'm a country boy, not a city boy). Usually I go back with a few friends, and we never had a problem except that hopeless homeless guy who is there every year, and he is just an annoyance.

#11 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

Of course I plan to take care of myself, after all, I'm a big self-indulger. XD
My hotel is a good block from the convention center. The "Hampton on the corner," as I like to call it. Its over by the Pickles(I think?) bar.
I'm a pretty big(fat, not muscle, but I have broad shoulders) guy, but I'm still somewhat afraid of walking back by myself(I'm a country boy, not a city boy). Usually I go back with a few friends, and we never had a problem except that hopeless homeless guy who is there every year, and he is just an annoyance.

Honestly, do not EVER walk back by yourself after dark. No matter how big you are, it's an issue, and we just don't want to take that chance. Even with a small group you could have problems.

Be safe, travel in Gaggles.

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013

#12 neomattlac

neomattlac

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:46 PM

Then, how do you find people that room in the same place?
I'm not very social, ya see?

#13 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:23 AM

Well, I suppose we can do something about that at Gofer Central.

We used to have a space in one of the main lobbies for members to group together by hotel before they left. I'm thinking we could put a board up for that sort of thing in either Gofer Central or the Gofer Lounge.

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013

#14 neomattlac

neomattlac

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 02:09 PM

We used to have a space in one of the main lobbies for members to group together by hotel before they left. I'm thinking we could put a board up for that sort of thing in either Gofer Central or the Gofer Lounge.

Awesome sauce.
I might have to have my schedule tweaked a bit, if I work Sunday. I expected to be leaving the con around noon, but I might be going on a cruise that leaves on Sunday... Not sure yet, so no changes yet.
I like the idea that sven72383 said in the "Issues from..." thread, about the more detailed orientation, FAQ, etc. particularly pertaining to what the gofers are supposed to be doing.

#15 Jefferson

Jefferson

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

The year I was vice chair, and the year I was con chair, I was one of the last people to leave the building each night. I'd walk back to my hotel with the Spec Ops staff after we cleared the building. Yes, we still do that, but at the time it was fun to make sure people weren't hiding in the bathrooms. I made the head of Spec Ops (a gentleman) clear the women's rooms. Hee hee hee. Guys seem to think the Ladies' Rooms have arcane trappings.

You mean, they don't?!?! I swear there has to be some reason why ladies go in packs to the bathroom...unless they don't want to be alone when they take a powder...am I right or wrong? Argh! The mysteries of the opposite sex! Inquiring minds (not really) want to know. :-P

Jefferson Eng - Gofer #638 (2006-2009) / #10638 (2010) / #173 (2011)
2005 - Attendee ; 2006 - Gofer ; 2007 - Gofer (Tier 1) ; 2008 - Gofer (Tier 2) ; 2009-11 - Gofer

2012 - Convention Table Exchange (Zenkaikon) ; 2013 - Convention Table Exchange (Intervention)
I'm also a podcaster. Check out the Otaku Generation podcast at http://www.otakugeneration.net

#16 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

Awesome sauce.
I might have to have my schedule tweaked a bit, if I work Sunday. I expected to be leaving the con around noon, but I might be going on a cruise that leaves on Sunday... Not sure yet, so no changes yet.
I like the idea that sven72383 said in the "Issues from..." thread, about the more detailed orientation, FAQ, etc. particularly pertaining to what the gofers are supposed to be doing.

We're working on it!

: )

We value your suggestions, so if you have them, post them on that topic.

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013