Photo

My first time gofering, and my friend's first con...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xatni

Xatni

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

Well, this is going to be my fifth year (almost consecutively; has to miss '09 because of summer college) attending Otakon, and I've finally decided to be a gofer since I'm going to be going without a parent this year. Consequently, I'm also paying for all my own expenses, and decided to have a friend come along with me to make the cost a little less steep, since she's been wanting to come to Otakon for years now, but never had the opportunity before this year. However, she's decided not to be a gofer (understandable, since it's her first convention, and she wants to be able to get the full con experience), so I'm wondering how that might complicate things.

We're coming down on Thursday afternoon to get our badges early and so that I can attend the earlier orientation, but I'm not sure what she'll be doing while I'm at orientation... It's probably safe to assume that she can't come with me, and she can't exactly wander the BCC on her own on Thursday either, can she?

She's unfamiliar with the BCC and I think with the Inner Harbor, as well, so I'd feel bad to just leave her alone to amuse herself, and I don't want her to have to just hang out at the hostel for the day... I'm not quite sure what to do. Any suggestions?
Gofer #131 for Otakon 2011

2011 Cosplays:
Genderbent!Junpei Iori from Persona 3
Wall Reaper (red) from The World Ends With You

2012 Cosplays:
Friday - Junpei Iori (spring outfit); Persona 3/Trixie; Speed Racer
Saturday - Tenkai; Sengoku Basara
Sunday - female Ranma; Ranma 1/2

#2 Xatni

Xatni

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:29 PM

Well, this is going to be my fifth year (almost consecutively; has to miss '09 because of summer college) attending Otakon, and I've finally decided to be a gofer since I'm going to be going without a parent this year. Consequently, I'm also paying for all my own expenses, and decided to have a friend come along with me to make the cost a little less steep, since she's been wanting to come to Otakon for years now, but never had the opportunity before this year. However, she's decided not to be a gofer (understandable, since it's her first convention, and she wants to be able to get the full con experience), so I'm wondering how that might complicate things.

We're coming down on Thursday afternoon to get our badges early and so that I can attend the earlier orientation, but I'm not sure what she'll be doing while I'm at orientation... It's probably safe to assume that she can't come with me, and she can't exactly wander the BCC on her own on Thursday either, can she?

She's unfamiliar with the BCC and I think with the Inner Harbor, as well, so I'd feel bad to just leave her alone to amuse herself, and I don't want her to have to just hang out at the hostel for the day... I'm not quite sure what to do. Any suggestions?

Oh um oops, can't find an edit option, but I forgot I was supposed to add my real name and gofer number to the end of this...

Tina Whittington
Gofer #131

2011 Cosplays:

2012 Cosplays:

#3 OtakonOtaku

OtakonOtaku

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:18 AM

I've been in this situation before ... but orientation won't last forever (unless it is longer than I remember >_< )
Theres a mall down the road that is an easy place to kill time at along with the barns & noble (isn't it what that book store is ?) and there is always go back to the hotel. Even tho you'll be in Baltimore early sometimes you can check-in (I mean I've checked in at 10 AM before) you don't really have to be familiar with the inner harbor to find those places. in fact it can be interesting to just hang around any hotel lobby
Gofer 1017 ( 2013) Vanessa

2014Cosplay line up

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Some vocaloid >_<;
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Casual Lolita
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

#4 Ikano

Ikano

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

I think it can be fun to wander around the area just to see what sort of stores there are.
Last year we got there really early and wandered around a bit to discover that some of the restaurants even had "Otakon specials."

We also tend to like to wander around the block to remember "oh...there's a CVS over here, oh there's a 7-eleven over here." for those food emergencies, etc.
But since it sounds like she'll be by herself...Not sure how comfortable she'll be wandering around by herself.

She could always bring something to the hotel to play with I guess? I always bring my handheld games...
or bring some books and/or sketchpad... *shrug*

EeChiann Shen

2003-2006 -- "regular" con attendee ||
2007 - 2014 -- Gofer #108
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 planned cosplay: Sanae Y (Suikoden 3)

#5 pineappaloozas

pineappaloozas

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 09:45 AM

So I'm from the Baltimore Area and I'll assure you there are a lot of things to do in the inner harbor on your own. The inner harbor is actually a rather safe place in Baltimore (trust me, I'm a city teacher and I know where to and not to hang out). If your friend is interested, there are two malls down there (one on the harbor and one across Pratt Street from the Harbor), also a really cool science museum, a huge Barnes and Noble, and an aquarium. Hope that helps!
2011 Cosplays -
Steampunk Angel
Riza Hawkeye (Mini Skirt Compromise Version)
2012 Cosplays -
Edward Elric (Briggs Version)
(http://www.cosplay.com/member/273804/)

#6 Xatni

Xatni

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

Ah, thanks for the replies, everyone!

Yeah, I know there are things to do in the Inner Harbor (I actually grew up in southern MD, so I used to go to the Inner Harbor all the time as a kid), but I still feel bad just kinda tossing her out into the city... Even so, I'm sure she'll have fun with all the shopping areas and even just sight-seeing.

Thanks again! c:

2011 Cosplays:

2012 Cosplays:

#7 Hyuga

Hyuga

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 08:39 PM

Yeah, I know there are things to do in the Inner Harbor (I actually grew up in southern MD, so I used to go to the Inner Harbor all the time as a kid), but I still feel bad just kinda tossing her out into the city... Even so, I'm sure she'll have fun with all the shopping areas and even just sight-seeing.

It's nice that you're concerned for your friend :) Though it's hardly "tossing her out". Most of the inner harbor action is just a block or two from BCC, and on a Thursday evening there should be plenty of people around so it's pretty safe. There's lots to look at and do too.

If she wants something to eat (and has the money) I'd recommend Edo Sushi. I'm a sushi snob, and I think they do a really good job most of the time, especially for an establishment in a touristy area. In fact, I might go over there afterwards anyways :)

#8 Xatni

Xatni

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

It's nice that you're concerned for your friend <_< Though it's hardly "tossing her out". Most of the inner harbor action is just a block or two from BCC, and on a Thursday evening there should be plenty of people around so it's pretty safe. There's lots to look at and do too.

If she wants something to eat (and has the money) I'd recommend Edo Sushi. I'm a sushi snob, and I think they do a really good job most of the time, especially for an establishment in a touristy area. In fact, I might go over there afterwards anyways :o

Ah, that sounds great, actually! She loves sushi, so I'm sure that she'll enjoy that. Besides, now that there's the Matsuri festival, that should also give her something to do, so I'm quite relieved about how things have turned out.

Thanks so much for the advice, Hyuga! :'D

2011 Cosplays:

2012 Cosplays: