Photo

I dread the war about to ensue but... K-Pop or J-Pop?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:43 PM

J-Pop. All the way. Can't stand K-Pop. Though I'm more of a J-Rock fan anyways xD
-"I'm making perfect sense, you're just not keeping up."
The Doctor

#2 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,918 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:50 PM

It is permissible to be a fan of several different things, you know.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#3 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

It is permissible to be a fan of several different things, you know.

O yeah I know I'm not saying one is above the other, I'm just seeing what people's opinions are :3 plus I love watching forum debates lol oh I'm so diabolical
The Doctor

#4 OtakonOtaku

OtakonOtaku

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:12 PM

Both of course
in fact they are about the same to me. in an I-can't-completely-understand-what-is-being-said-in-either kind of way
I equally enjoy and look for both (it's pop in English I don't look for XD A-pop? XD )
Gofer 1017 ( 2013) Vanessa

2014Cosplay line up

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Some vocaloid >_<;
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Casual Lolita
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

#5 Hisagiluv

Hisagiluv

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

I like both, but some people drill me for liking "crappy anime Jpop"
As in, I should be listening to Jpop that isn't in anime. Sorry bro, I get 90% of my Jpop from anime.

Thus, I feel a lot better when I listen to Kpop.

Edited by Hisagiluv, 24 June 2011 - 03:33 PM.

| Waiting for Otakon 2014 |

#6 Duelistbluerose

Duelistbluerose

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 04:20 PM

My opinion is that J-pop seems to sounds more varied than K-pop. Most K-pop to me all sounds like super junior and Girls' Gen. I still like both, but if I had to pick it would be J-pop. Now, I like K-r&b much better

#7 NOTanOTAKU

NOTanOTAKU

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

I like both, but if I had to choose between the two genres then definitely k-pop. I follow certain k-pop bands (Big Bang, Girl's Generation, B2ST, Clazziquai) so I feel more invested in the artists, whereas with j-pop I just listen to whatever's currently popular.

#8 royalcharm

royalcharm

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:01 AM

From what i know of it all i like jpop and the little i do know comes from my anime watching as well

#9 BLX

BLX

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

I like both but I'm more into K-Pop than J-pop, though I also like J-rock and K-R&B. B)

Shawna Phelps

Staff (2013) : Member Relations - Registration & Programming - Otachan

Attendee 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Art History Buff and Baltimore Local :)

#10 RainAlvaran

RainAlvaran

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:33 AM

More into the RnB, myself. I lean more towards the Japanese side. However....partially due to the fact that Korean confuses me, a little. That...and their pop is....TOO cutesy. (It puts japan to shame in the overly cutesy department.) I enjoy both, though. I'm still exploring C-Pop....I like Jolin Tsai. ^_^ Wilber Pan is pretty cool, too.

There's way too much music out there to be tied down to one. =D
-Catch ya on the flipside-
And by Novel...I mean Girlfriend

#11 Starberry

Starberry

Fresh Meat

• Otakon Gofers
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

I like both but I always joke that Kpop is like Jpop but with talent. :P
What I mean by that is that in Kpop most of the time the dances are a lot more intense and if you listen to them live you can see those groups can really sing! I'm not a fan of the overly autotuned sound in a lot of Jpop. But as I said I like both.

#12 iamjenii

iamjenii

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:42 PM

Both & neither. Depends on the artist and song. Some of BoA's more upbeat songs sound better in Japanese while her ballads sound better in Korean. I prefer my rock in Japanese & hiphop in Korean o_O? The languages seem to flow better.
070610 <3 TOMATO :3

#13 Duelistbluerose

Duelistbluerose

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

I prefer my rock in Japanese & hiphop in Korean o_O? The languages seem to flow better.

totally agree with this. hip hop and r&b sound better in korean - it does flow better

#14 RainAlvaran

RainAlvaran

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:38 PM

I prefer my rock in Japanese & hiphop in Korean o_O? The languages seem to flow better.

totally agree with this. hip hop and r&b sound better in korean - it does flow better

If you could tell me who is good in hip hop for Korean, please. I've yet to hear a Korean rapper that has gotten my attention. Whereas I've got Japanese ones I like. I'd appreciate the help, thank you.

I feel the RnB is even....I don't really think there's a better aspect in either. The thing with Korean and Japanese music is that they each have their own faults and perks which is why I can't truly have a preference. Also....Koreans auto-tune as well. I think the auto-tune hating fad is done. Just face it...just like anything else...when used properly it's not bad.

Also...with artists like Namie and AI....there's truth to the talent and dedication on the Japanese side on live performances as well. The difference? It depends on where you look for music. The comparable stuff is outside of anime. (Not saying that there's not some amazing stuff for anime, mind you.) Utada.....was simply amazing live. That woman had me mesmerized when I saw her in concert. Home Made Kazoku....if you didn't see them in concert last year....you missed out. High energy, and great performance. Namie always proves herself live. AI does amazing live, too. Koda Kumi....whaaaaaaaaaaaat? She got some skills. Chihiro Onitsuka....that woman has got some soul to her. =D

God I love music. :P It's nice that we can be chill and talk about it. It's got me in a good mood. Thanks guys!! =D

#15 NOTanOTAKU

NOTanOTAKU

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

If you could tell me who is good in hip hop for Korean, please. I've yet to hear a Korean rapper that has gotten my attention. Whereas I've got Japanese ones I like. I'd appreciate the help, thank you.

I recommend listening to Epik High or Drunken Tiger. :D I've been a fan of both bands for awhile now.

As for c-pop, try Jay Chou, Wang Leehom, Aaron Yan, or F.I.R.

#16 iamjenii

iamjenii

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

I recommend listening to Epik High or Drunken Tiger. :D I've been a fan of both bands for awhile now.

I haven't been into hiphop much these days but I highly agree with the recommendations.
For pop-ier hiphop you can find some older groups: Jinusean, 1TYM (which is both hiphop & pop), Epik High, YG Family (of older days, the company used to put out multi-artist singles and such), T (Tasha, formerly of Tashannie)
For harder rap styles: Drunken Tiger, select "The Movement" artists.

It's been so long I can't remember who else I used to listen to. ;;^^ I don't know who's popular now since I've long gotten out of Korean music. And the weird thing about Korean pop is that a lot of it somehow incorporates "rap verses" into their songs.
070610 <3 TOMATO :3

#17 RainAlvaran

RainAlvaran

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:04 PM

Okay, will do, and thanks.

The C-pop, well I'm familiar with Jay Chou and Wang Leehom. Not the other two, though. I think Justin Lo was my first introduction to that....either that or Wilber Pan. (I'm thinking it's the Latter)

#18 Shiro420

Shiro420

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:46 AM

I'll take all music for the win B)

Chris Lane
2004-2009: Attendee
2010-2011, 2013: Registration Staff

#19 IceCreamGuitar

IceCreamGuitar

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:06 PM

If I have to pick one, J-Pop. For the sole reason that I think the Japanese language sounds smoother and more pleasant to listen to than Korean or Chinese.

#20 aliruth1

aliruth1

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:05 PM

I personally like both. Although when I want more Rock, I tend to go for Jrock and pop, but when I just want dancing music or just fun stuff....Or beautiful boys singing in my ears I go for Kpop.

I'm really not picky, although Jpop is easier to sing along with.

Otakon 2013
Thursday: Bittersweet Lolita
Friday: Galatea from Claymore
Saturday: Galatea from Claymore
Sunday:  Yachiru from Bleach

Message me if you have any photos of a Maka or Zatsune from Otakon 2012. That might be me!
Thanks!

#21 Makaimi

Makaimi

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:58 PM

I actually like both, but it depends on the song for me. I listen to K-Pop more nowadays as it grew on me, but I still listen to J-Pop every now and then.

#22 lambogirl

lambogirl

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

can't help my bias, being a j-pop fan before years ago and has forever abandoned it to join the K-POP side.
Though K-POP now a days is starting to sound a bit meh, I still enjoy it more.

#23 ranmah

ranmah

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

The only k-pop I know is Boa. I'm not a big fan of the genre.
Old Guard
TGC (2001)
Con Coverage staff (2002-2004)
Board Moderator (2003-2008)

#24 MBlilithschild

MBlilithschild

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

I love J-rock and K-pop/rap/hip hop (which is funny cause i hate all three of these in america). But this all depends on the groups too, cause I can't stand all of them.
IN A WORLD OF CHERRIOS BE A FRUIT LOOP!!!!!!!!!

#25 MBlilithschild

MBlilithschild

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Okay, will do, and thanks.

The C-pop, well I'm familiar with Jay Chou and Wang Leehom. Not the other two, though. I think Justin Lo was my first introduction to that....either that or Wilber Pan. (I'm thinking it's the Latter)

I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion for korean hip hop, Personally I love Big Bang, but you should also check out Bang Yong Guk's stuff, he's voice is amazing to me! (he's in a group called B.A.P but he also does a lot of other solo songs with other artist, Secret by Song Ji eun and I Remember with yoseob of Beast, plus him and zelo, also from B.A.P, made never give up )
IN A WORLD OF CHERRIOS BE A FRUIT LOOP!!!!!!!!!

#26 djmaestro777

djmaestro777

Fresh Meat

• Otakon Gofers
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:04 AM

really enjoy both because you can always find something interesting. have also explored CPOP - Vangie Tang, BY2 and Won FU which are good, then went into Mongolian Pop/Rock which is very interesting - 3 OHIN,AMINA, ANU amd KIWI are faves along with YAKSA, OXYGEN CAN, RAKASASA(heavy metal/thrash),

David Henneforth
Gofer # 376 since '03

#27 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

I can't believe I even started this thread lol I was mistaken anyways. The genre I love is J-Rock, not pop. Honestly I'm not saying K-Pop is bad, I just can't stand it because all I've seen (and believe me, plenty floods my facebook news feed) is boy bands trying to be all... what's the word I'm looking for... girly? lovey-dovey? I love groups like Abingdon Boys School, Nightmare, etc. I guess typical anime songs haha
The Doctor

#28 blackkira18

blackkira18

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

thats a tough question i can't decide guess I'm neutral Posted Image

#29 Tachibana

Tachibana

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

I quite enjoy both. However, I tend to find the Japanese language more interesting to listen to, so I tend to lean a bit more towards J-Pop.

#30 Fadamor

Fadamor

This title space for rent! Reasonable rates! Ask within.

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:33 AM

Neither! A-Rokku at Nippon Buddokan! (Grinning, ducking, and running) Posted Image

#31 SoraVII

SoraVII

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

I think I prefer my rock and hip hop in Japanese and my dance and pop in Korean but really I think I'm pretty neutral I'll listen to anything if it's got a good beat, melody and I can rock out to it.

As a side note just wondering do you ever have people ask you what you're listening to and when you tell them, they ask oh cool so you speak (insert language here) and then they give you a funny look when you say no. Hah I feel like I should be learning the languages so I understand the music more in depth but sadly I don't have time to dedicate to learning a new language(s).

Edited by SoraVII, 13 July 2012 - 10:27 AM.

Joseph Davis
Congoer - 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009
Gofer #188 - 2010, 2011
Registration Staff - 2012, 2013

#32 lexie

lexie

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

Oh dear ... Im not really a j-pop man im more visual kei person, however i can't stand k-pop, for the reason i have only heard almost all of the boy bands, i did try to give it a go. I only really like secret but yeah.

Edited by lexie, 20 July 2012 - 11:21 PM.

Cosplay for Otakon 2012

Pikachu boy
Lelouch Lamperouge / Zero
Pretty cat boy

#33 julietplz

julietplz

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

More Kpop than Jpop. But I do like both :D

oh my beautiful target.

#34 Redr(@se

Redr(@se

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

Kpop makes me inexplicably happy, but Jpop and Jrock will always be my first loves.
----------<---(@
Excited about Otakon since 2000.