Photo

The Year of the ...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#51 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

Oh my goodness, the sheer amount of Doctor Who cosplay. D: I don't even understand where that came from. Did Doctor Who suddenly become a fad or something? I thought it's been around for awhile. I don't even see what they're doing at an anime convention...I mean, no offense to them, I say you can cosplay whatever you want, but cosplaying a British show to a Japanese convention seems to be stretching the point of the convention...I can understand video games, I can even understand comic books and American cartoons, but...a British sci-fi show? D: I felt the exact same way about all the freakin' Harry Potter I saw too.

Aaanyway. Yeah. Black Butler seemed to be on the rise from previous years as well.

Well first off Doctor Who has been part of Otakon since it first started as for it being at Con I would like to point out that Doctor Who has been a very major influence over many Anime shows. Plus over the years I've heard many quest panelist site that Doctor Who as one of their influence.

#52 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Fly Away, Now.

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

I believe this is the year of Doctor Who.

Nope. That's 2012 :P

Actually, the series began in 1963...

panty-and-stocking-4.jpg

Otakon 2012: Moar Hype | Otakon 2011: This Moment

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John Bachman, Member '07, '09-'12]

#53 Revengel

Revengel

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:43 AM

I do recall being rather shocked at the number of TARDIS cosplays this year. While Otakon is an anime/Japanese culture themed convention it's not a surprise that a broader audience attends & spreads thier wings. E.G. Steampunk.

Saw a lot of Lightnings too. That said I was glad that there wasn't *one* dominant cosplay as there have been in other years.
Been to every Otakon since 1997 and counting...

#54 boingboingmiroku

boingboingmiroku

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:50 PM

Oh my goodness, the sheer amount of Doctor Who cosplay. D: I don't even understand where that came from. Did Doctor Who suddenly become a fad or something? I thought it's been around for awhile. I don't even see what they're doing at an anime convention...I mean, no offense to them, I say you can cosplay whatever you want, but cosplaying a British show to a Japanese convention seems to be stretching the point of the convention...I can understand video games, I can even understand comic books and American cartoons, but...a British sci-fi show? D: I felt the exact same way about all the freakin' Harry Potter I saw too.

Aaanyway. Yeah. Black Butler seemed to be on the rise from previous years as well.

Well first off Doctor Who has been part of Otakon since it first started as for it being at Con I would like to point out that Doctor Who has been a very major influence over many Anime shows. Plus over the years I've heard many quest panelist site that Doctor Who as one of their influence.

What animes have vestiges of Doctor Who in them?
"They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands."-Gungrave(opening credits)
mV(^_^)Vm
Truth:"Watashi wa etchi(or ecchi) da!"-boingboingmiroku
"I reject reality and substitute my own."-Adam Savage
"Jamie want big boom!"-James Hyneman
Posted Image

#55 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 05:58 AM

What animes have vestiges of Doctor Who in them?

Any that have any Time Travel in them but I guess you missed the part where I said many Panel Guest Cite Doctor Who has one of their influence sort of like how Pop Singers will stated that certain Punk or Hard Rock Bands influence them but you don't see them performing Punk or Hard Rock in their shows.

Let face it folks Doctor Who is a very large Cosplay Group and it's only getting larger(This is from someone who has been going to cons for 25 years) but if all goes right then you want have to worry about us Whovians attending Kon because there are plans for a new Doctor Who Convention but even with that said I expect to see quite a few Doctor Who Cosplayers at Otakon.

#56 SilverMiko

SilverMiko

young lady

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

Ok look y'all...I am a big Who fan too like alabaster, but regardless of how you debate it- is has no relevance in anime. I'm sorry, it doesn't, and time travel as a concept existed before Doctor Who every first aired. HG Wells WELL pre-dated anything related to Doctor Who so to say it popularized who that time travel is directly owed to Doctor Who is stretching it. Yes you had a panelist cite it as an influence, but this hardly reflects the whole anime/manga genre.
That being said, it's not like we're going to start banning Doctor Who cosplay. As much as some people don't get why people cosplay non-anime/Asian things at con, we as a staff have never sat around and decided we're ever going to banhammer it, so worry not.

With that said, this thread is NOT about Doctor Who and its relevence on anime, nor about Scorpion89's plans to make a Doctor Who con and if it keeps turning into a Who debate I will lock this.

Lauren Gallo

Otakon 2014 Virtual Info Desk Head
Otakon 2012-2013 Operations Division Head

Otakon 2011 Con Ops Dept Head
Otakorp 2011 Board of Directors- Recording Secretary
Otakon 2010 Con Ops Dept Head
Otakon 2006-2009 Exhibitions Staff
Otakon BBS moderator

#57 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:08 PM

Ok look y'all...I am a big Who fan too like alabaster, but regardless of how you debate it- is has no relevance in anime. I'm sorry, it doesn't, and time travel as a concept existed before Doctor Who every first aired. HG Wells WELL pre-dated anything related to Doctor Who so to say it popularized who that time travel is directly owed to Doctor Who is stretching it. Yes you had a panelist cite it as an influence, but this hardly reflects the whole anime/manga genre.
That being said, it's not like we're going to start banning Doctor Who cosplay. As much as some people don't get why people cosplay non-anime/Asian things at con, we as a staff have never sat around and decided we're ever going to banhammer it, so worry not.

With that said, this thread is NOT about Doctor Who and its relevence on anime, nor about Scorpion89's plans to make a Doctor Who con and if it keeps turning into a Who debate I will lock this.

Then you mine as well lock it now because it has turned into a Doctor Who debate starting with the OP first post sorry but your very wrong on the whole Doctor Who and Anime or shall I start posting all the Doctor Who Anime because I'm pretty sure alabaster will tell you there is quite a allot out their, and the last time I looked Otakon was part ANIME Convention and I can come up quite allot of NON-Japanees Anime that I see at Otakon every year.

And as far as the Who Convention yes we are hoping to start one and yes I've been following you and alabaster and some other folks steps on how to do one the correct way will it happen in 2012 most likely not we are actually shooting for 2013 the 50th Anv of Doctor Who.

#58 SilverMiko

SilverMiko

young lady

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:13 PM

Then you mine as well lock it now because it has turned into a Doctor Who debate starting with the OP first post sorry but your very wrong on the whole Doctor Who and Anime or shall I start posting all the Doctor Who Anime because I'm pretty sure alabaster will tell you there is quite a allot out their, and the last time I looked Otakon was part ANIME Convention and I can come up quite allot of NON-Japanees Anime that I see at Otakon every year.

And as far as the Who Convention yes we are hoping to start one and yes I've been following you and alabaster and some other folks steps on how to do one the correct way will it happen in 2012 most likely not we are actually shooting for 2013 the 50th Anv of Doctor Who.

Firstly, I am actually very good friends with Alabaster/Jim in real life, so trust me, we've had those types of conversations but also there is no actual real liscensed Doctor Who anime but fan projects and also- Jim has said it is a seperate fandom from anime.
That being said- topic locked.

Lauren Gallo

Otakon 2014 Virtual Info Desk Head
Otakon 2012-2013 Operations Division Head

Otakon 2011 Con Ops Dept Head
Otakorp 2011 Board of Directors- Recording Secretary
Otakon 2010 Con Ops Dept Head
Otakon 2006-2009 Exhibitions Staff
Otakon BBS moderator