Photo

Otakon Staff Concerns - Please read

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 ladylark

ladylark

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Otakon values member feedback as an opportunity to improve. We know that not every staffer is a good fit for every job and we strive to make sure that our staff provide the best experience possible for its attendees. However, I've noted that many staff complaints are getting buried in other threads. That being said, We want to know if a staff member was rude, crude, or just generally bad and at the same time we want to know if a staff member went above and beyond and made your experience at Otakon an even better one.

So I am asking you to either reply to this thread, send me a PM, or Email me at rkonecki@otakorp.org with the following information.

1. Staff Member Name (if you have it)
2. Description of the Staff Member (if you do not)
3. Time of the Incident.
4. Location of the incident
5. Detailed description of the incident including anything the staff member said and your replies.

We want to make sure that we weed out those staff who are not suited for the kinds of stressful situations they will be put in at the convention and at the same time recognize/reward those who really help make Otakon great.

I will be sharing your comments with the Chief of Staff and those department heads involved.

Thank you.

Rea Konecki
Member Services Division Head (2014)
Member Services Assistant Division Head/Assistant Chief of Staff (2012-2013)

Human Resources Section Chief (2009-2011)
Otakorp Vice President (2010)
Spec Ops Co-Department Head (2008)
Spec Ops Captain (2006-2007)

"Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change."

#2 Jeremytroid

Jeremytroid

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:11 PM

The staff member on the stairs (Asian male, I think his hair was short and black) into the Dealer's Room was great. This was around 3PM Saturday, and he was there on Sunday too. He did his job by telling us that we needed our badges out, while at the same time being humorous.

Also, the lady (Dark frizzy hair in a ponytail, medium height) who staffed the line for the Haruhi premier was good too. She did her job while also engaging the people already in-line. This was at approximately 3:15PM but she stayed the whole time I think.

Fortunately I only had one minor negative experience.
This was on Saturday when the Gaming Room was opening up. The female staffer kept yelling to get in to her taped lines. Ok I get that. But it's who she was yelling at. She seemed to be yelling at the people already in the line. She did it multiple times literally within a minute and became quickly annoying. Most of us were in the zig-zag shape we needed to be in. If there were one or two people, she could've spoken to them personally.

Although my negative experience was expanded on more, it's simply because many of the good things seem to go un-noticed because they feel so right and not note worthy. But please, the staff who were doing their job well were a joy to be around.
Attending since 2008
A. Thompson Gofer #1128

#3 soreyle

soreyle

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:08 PM

I would like to commend the fine folks working in the Panel Ops room for being really wonderful to me after I had an unfortunate incident with a staffer. I won't get into the details because it was already dealt with - I just wanted to thank them again for being very kind and understanding to my situation (:

#4 Azri23

Azri23

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

On the whole, most staff were friendly and helpful. We saw several on their way back to the hotel that looked like they had been through hell, but still had a smile on their face. One that really stood out was working the dealer's room line on Sunday. As he termed it, we were "playing human tetris". The analogy was apt, and he made a great play of it.

The only concern we had was in the Cosplay Burlesque line. We had gone there 2.5 hours early, to see where the line was going to be, so we could find it later. It just happened that the line had already formed, and was already quite lengthy, so we quickly joined it. While I understand what the staff managing that line were trying to accomplish (fitting as many people in line as possible), they kept telling my mother to stand up. My mother qualifies as a senior citizen, so expecting her to stay standing for 2.5 hours was a bit much. We were able to sit down every so often, but then someone would come by and tell us to stand again, to tighten the line. She pushed through it, as there was no way she was going to miss the show, but waiting in line for it could have been a better experience.

#5 Bahiya

Bahiya

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

A special thank you goes to the two ladies who took my pre-registration on Friday at about 3 pm. They were on the left side of the pre-registration booth. I wish I'd taken their names! After I told them my parking woes, they gave me the parking tip of a lifetime! It saved not just me, but the two other families I was traveling with. I owe them big time! They get kudos for helping me. If I give you my name and registration number can the con tell who checked me in?

#6 Adv1sor

Adv1sor

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

I was on the third floor taking pictures of the sea of people that had gathered for the FMA movie. I saw the problem they were having trying to get people out of Video 1 and out of the lobby with the mob standing outside the doors. A staffer, a young woman, came up beside me and started shouting at the people below to move over a little. (Not shouting rudely, just shouting to be heard). I thought, "there is no way she's going to move them." But then, she did it! The entire mob shifted over a few feet and the remaining people were able to exit Video 1. Outstanding work!

#7 pineappaloozas

pineappaloozas

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:21 PM

A special thank you goes to the two ladies who took my pre-registration on Friday at about 3 pm. They were on the left side of the pre-registration booth. I wish I'd taken their names! After I told them my parking woes, they gave me the parking tip of a lifetime! It saved not just me, but the two other families I was traveling with. I owe them big time! They get kudos for helping me. If I give you my name and registration number can the con tell who checked me in?

It depends . . . where either of them in cosplay? Chances are, if the tip was about parking in the Oriole's lot and one of the them was wearing a blond wig, that was me! I was gofer #160. Glad I could help!
2011 Cosplays -
Steampunk Angel
Riza Hawkeye (Mini Skirt Compromise Version)
2012 Cosplays -
Edward Elric (Briggs Version)
(http://www.cosplay.com/member/273804/)

#8 vivids

vivids

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

I keep making shoutouts to this guy, but if you can pass along a huge thank you to the male staffer working the information booth by Registration at around midnight Friday night, that would be most appreciated! My phone died and I walked up there asking for a nickel for the payphone, he offered me a dollar. He then let me use his phone, and saved me from having a near panic attack that night.

#9 Bahiya

Bahiya

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

It depends . . . where either of them in cosplay? Chances are, if the tip was about parking in the Oriole's lot and one of the them was wearing a blond wig, that was me! I was gofer #160. Glad I could help!

Yes, the tip was about parking in the Oriole's lot. Thank you!

#10 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

Yes, the tip was about parking in the Oriole's lot. Thank you!

Hooray! Good job for the Gofers!

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013

#11 mechafaux

mechafaux

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

Friday afternoon, we went to Spec Ops to get our weapons checked and a lady staffer there made it a very easy and pleasant experience for us. Thank you!

#12 ZGL

ZGL

this is spec ops, go ahead.

• Otakon Staff
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

On the whole, most staff were friendly and helpful. We saw several on their way back to the hotel that looked like they had been through hell, but still had a smile on their face. One that really stood out was working the dealer's room line on Sunday. As he termed it, we were "playing human tetris". The analogy was apt, and he made a great play of it.

He's my roommate, and when I read this to him just now, he threw his hands over his head \o/ and said "That was me! Woohoo!" :) He also says, "I see space - please move up!"

edit: He wanted me to add that his voice really does sound like that all the time. (I can confirm this.)

Edited by ZGL, 03 August 2011 - 06:23 PM.

Meredith Davey || Access Control Lines Captain
Access Control 2nd 2013, Communications Captain 2011-2012

Board of Directors Member at Large 2009-2010, 2012
Programming Section Chief 2010
Assistant to the Programming Section Chief 2009
Panels Ninja Department Head 2007-2008

#13 Kilgamayan

Kilgamayan

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

I wanna give the I SEE SPACE PLEASE MOVE UP guy a shout-out too for finding something catchy and entertaining to chant at a convention, and while doing his job to boot.

If people are gonna insist on yelling memes, I'd be all for that taking the place of something stupid, like...well, anything they yelled before this year. >_>
Official Aya Shameimaru of New England
Otakon 2010: Co-Lead Panelist, Touhou Project
Otakon 2011: Lead Panelist, Touhou Project

#14 ChibiMoon

ChibiMoon

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:23 AM

The staff member on the stairs (Asian male, I think his hair was short and black) into the Dealer's Room was great. This was around 3PM Saturday, and he was there on Sunday too. He did his job by telling us that we needed our badges out, while at the same time being humorous.

I knew somebody else was gonna mention this guy, He should definitely be on the stairs by the dealer's room every year, He was great and his humor was the best.
Attended Otakon 2010, 2011, 2012.

#15 Marzipan

Marzipan

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

I didn't have any staff members be rude to me. Even the guy I pleaded with to let me enter the exit door. He said no, but he was super polite and sweet about it. And staff helped me get out of the dealer's room when I got lost and frustrated. Thank you staff! B)
All Otakon 2012 pictures posted here! Don't forget to "like" me! <3

http://www.facebook....144502175606377

#16 kathainbowen

kathainbowen

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

I want to give a shout-out to Lauren Iser and Rebekah Costello from the Art Show, as well as everyone who stayed so late with my random entourage on Thursday night. I know I already gave them a shout-out in the Artist Alley / Art Show section, but I wanted to make sure they got credit due.

I was bringing a large piece of artwork and had no idea how I was going to safely get it into the con. Lauren was super helpful pre-con with giving me great instructions on what I needed to do to bring the piece down on Thursday before the chaos started on Friday. Rebekah was awesome checking me in from there and getting all the paperwork processed despite the fact that we arrived at maybe ten to nine with the artwork. Rebekah and Lauren stayed late, along with the rest of the crew from the Art Show, when I would have been happy enough to just drop everything off and come back to register everything in the morning (*I just didn't want to risk taking the big canvas through the sea of people in the morning).

Speaking of the Art Show - the auctioneers were awesome as always. Funny and just great. I know they had a daunting task with all the pieces going to live auction and all the charity auction pieces, but they did an amazing job.

I also already gave a shout-out in the Rave Reviews thread about the gentlemen on Saturday night between 10 to 12ish who were busting up circles by jumping in the middle and dancing. It was a fun, light-hearted and totally natural way to kill the circle without killing the mood.

I think someone already commented on them, but the men staffing the door to the Dealer's Room on Sunday in the afternoon were awesome as well. Singing to see badges?!? Awesome-friggin'-town and absolutely classic.

#17 righteouscookies

righteouscookies

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:23 PM

The guy (in the kilt) manning the microphone to remind people to find a seat during the Hetalia World Premier event was hilarious! Definitely made listening to the same info over and over incredibly entertaining.

EDIT: Also want to add that the older gentleman with the white hair/beard wearing the cat ears that always comes by each dealer's booth at the end of the con Sunday evening is awesome! I was only helping pack up this con, but it's always appreciated to be thanked for being a big part of Otakon. I never get your name, sir, but taking the time to thank all the dealers is kind of an honor.

Edited by righteouscookies, 11 August 2011 - 08:27 PM.

#18 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

The guy (in the kilt) manning the microphone to remind people to find a seat during the Hetalia World Premier event was hilarious! Definitely made listening to the same info over and over incredibly entertaining.

EDIT: Also want to add that the older gentleman with the white hair/beard wearing the cat ears that always comes by each dealer's booth at the end of the con Sunday evening is awesome! I was only helping pack up this con, but it's always appreciated to be thanked for being a big part of Otakon. I never get your name, sir, but taking the time to thank all the dealers is kind of an honor.

I believe that was Chuck Shandry. Did he have muttonchop whiskers?

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013

#19 ctg21361

ctg21361

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:02 PM

1. Staff Member Name - I don't know
2. Description of the Staff Member - She had glasses, if I remember correctly? Her hair was a bit curly and pinned back? I can't remember, since I did not take note of details
3. Time of the Incident - Friday, when everyone was in line for Chemistry
4. Location of the incident - Main events
5. Detailed description of the incident including anything the staff member said and your replies - She just kept going between the lines and reassuring people the they would get in. She didn't really have to do that. If I'm not mistaken, she is the same lady who did the same thing during the Home Made Kazoku line in 2010. She has such a pleasant disposition, very soft spoken, etc. Like I said, she did not have to do all the reassuring, but I guess she was trying to persuade people to be patient during the long wait. Anyone who was in line for either Home Made Kazoku in 2010 or Chemistry in 2011 will remember her.

Also the registration staff and volunteers, the staff/volunteers at the table for the $5.00 contributions to Japan, so many! I always wonder why there are complaints about staff when all I have experienced from Otakon staff has been respect and courtesy.

But again, please always ask for identification when handing the eighteen and up wristbands. I guess this was a case of being too nice.

#20 mickey8701

mickey8701

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

I thought the staff was pretty cool this year and I didn't run into any major problems. The only thing I would like to note is how important it is for the entire staff to know basic information about the convention. Like the time that it closes, the location of popular events, etc. I've ran into more than one staff where they didn't know basic information because "it wasn't their department." That's not an excuse. A staff member should be able to answer basic questions no matter what department they are in. That was my only issue.

#21 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:55 AM

I thought the staff was pretty cool this year and I didn't run into any major problems. The only thing I would like to note is how important it is for the entire staff to know basic information about the convention. Like the time that it closes, the location of popular events, etc. I've ran into more than one staff where they didn't know basic information because "it wasn't their department." That's not an excuse. A staff member should be able to answer basic questions no matter what department they are in. That was my only issue.

I agree to an extent. But I will point out that location of popular events isn't always something that is going to be known. Where is the Dance? Yes. Where is the Hetalia showing? Not necessarily. Well, that's why we should be carrying our program schedule, and also why we suggest people head for the two information booths.

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013

#22 Dallas

Dallas

the Wisewolf

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

I agree to an extent. But I will point out that location of popular events isn't always something that is going to be known. Where is the Dance? Yes. Where is the Hetalia showing? Not necessarily. Well, that's why we should be carrying our program schedule, and also why we suggest people head for the two information booths.

As a staffer who is usually working in the Arena for masquerade, I will say that being able to pull up the Guidebook app on my EVO to help members find things was a godsend.

Dallas Odom
Otakon XXI (2014): Member at Large (BoD); Staff Housing Liaison, Masquerade Co-Dept. Head
Otakon XX (2013): Member at Large (BoD); Staff Housing Liaison, Masquerade
Otakon XIX (2012): Staff Housing Liaison; Masquerade
Otakon XVIII (2011): Co-Staff Housing Liaison; Masquerade | Otakon XVII (2010): Staff Housing Assistant; Masquerade
Otakon XVI (2009): Masquerade | Otakon XV (2008): Asst. to Chief of Staff | Otakon XIV (2007): Tabletop Gaming/Staff Pool | Otakon XIII (2006): Panels