Photo

OTAKON 2011 Convention Feedback

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
144 replies to this topic

#101 GlitteringLoke

GlitteringLoke

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

- I was a bit bummed by the fewer badge choices. For 10 years there have been upwards of 10, and this year only 6, none of which i was all excited over. But at least crabby was cool, and he has been added to my badge collection. (Though, otakon, THANKS for at least letting us choose awesome badges. i have some rather lame AnimeBoston and AnimeExpo badges).

- Here's an idea to free up some staff and just make everyone's lives a little easier. 18+ stickers on the badge at pre-reg. you already have your ID out, just slap a neon sticker on it or something so that you don't have to buy bracelets and can free up staff for friday/sat afternoon/night events that might need more attention.

- Sad to hear that the panel feedback is only for internal use. I'm sure a lot of panelists would like to hear things about their panel, especially if a lot of people that fill it out aren't on the boards.

- I mentioned it the day of pre-reg pick up in another thread, but the panelist badge pick up bypass coupon was a good idea, except it would have been faster to just stand in the regular line. All my friends were done pre-reg before me in the panelist pick up line. and that line only had like 30 people in it!

And as an aside, since I went to AX this year (and did, just about nothing at it). you guys have a TON more to do, which is a double edged sword with lots of overlapping and missed events for other events, but you at least give us the option. I spent all of AX in the industry hall aside from one panel. For the size of the facility, the 4 days it runs, there's easily more programming at Otakon. The guests of honor only had ONE panel, while often at Otakon, they have two. (not sure how it was this year, since I wasn't deeply vested in any of them this time around). I still wish Otakon had a 'meet the guest' type of paid evening event like Sakuracon (AX's was really poorly done, IMO) for those that are willing to pay for that extra personal experience. And if it is limited and costs about as much as a registration ticket (or more... *shakes fist at AX*), it CAN'T be overcrowded. I think sakuracon's was 200 people and AX was about 100.

Overall, I had a really good time. Panel crew was great this year, though I didn't use the panelist lounge because of other things, it was a nice idea i'd hopefully like to be able to utilize in the future (if i'm blessed with more panels). Otakon staff was great and hopefully next year will be better :D
Cosplay 2011: Kagetoki (Haruka3), Michiru (zombie loan), Milard/Mirald (Tales of Phantasia)
Cosplay 2012: Sarasa (Basara), Veigue - Carta style (Tales of Magic Carta/Rebirth), Michiru (Zombie Loan)

#102 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:20 PM

Kudos to the staff this year. I've noticed some people raking the staff over the coals on the forums or during the feedback panel, but considering SpecOps (?) said they were at an all-time low for staffers in that section they did very well.

All the staffers I dealt with were courteous and helpful despite some of the unusually pushy attendees this year.

Was anybody else not impressed with the Otaku Burlesque? I mean you have to take it for what it is but still....

Aside from the Holo, who rocked, the rest was so-so.

"I've been playing with Leah Clark's wenis all weekend"- Chris Rager

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
Otakon 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012
NekoCon 2010, 2011

NekoCon 2014: The Emperor's Royal Guard, Return of the Jedi. 

#103 Loki

Loki

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:24 PM

- I was a bit bummed by the fewer badge choices. For 10 years there have been upwards of 10, and this year only 6, none of which i was all excited over. But at least crabby was cool, and he has been added to my badge collection. (Though, otakon, THANKS for at least letting us choose awesome badges. i have some rather lame AnimeBoston and AnimeExpo badges).

Unfortunately, other than our own mascots, any art that uses anime/manga characters must be approved by the companies that own them. Quite often we don't get any approvals in time for badge printing.

- Here's an idea to free up some staff and just make everyone's lives a little easier. 18+ stickers on the badge at pre-reg. you already have your ID out, just slap a neon sticker on it or something so that you don't have to buy bracelets and can free up staff for friday/sat afternoon/night events that might need more attention.

Stickers on badges could cause issues where an 18+ member gives their badge to a member that isn't 18+. It's easy to tell if someone is 11 or 12 and we'd see that right away at the door to the event, but a 16 or 17yr old might not be readily differentiated from an 18yr old. This would open us up to huge liabilities. The wristbands are much harder to transfer, although they are not foolproof either. Also, it would slow the reg process down by 10 to 15 seconds if each person's ID were checked and then had a 18+ wristband put on versus only the couple thousand that would want a wristband.

Loki aka Victor Albisharat

2014 Otakon Vegas Con Chair
2013 Corresponding Secretary and Head of Press & Publicity
2012 Member at Large and Head of Press & Publicity
2011 Head of Press & Publicity
2010 Press/2008-2009 Gofer Ops, Pre-reg Correspondence/2006-2007 TCG/2004 Gofer 410

#104 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

Loki-I have to disagree with you on the 21+ thing for the following reason,

1) We all have to show some sort of Official Issued Photo ID it's already out hence you can check right then

2) Whats an extra minute considering you have to pick your badge fill it out and then place it in the holder while this is going on you can also hand over the 21+ bracelet.

3) Other Kons do this even larger one the Otakon we do it at SDCC

Also may I suggest that instead of using the paper one get the rubber one which actually are cheaper.

#105 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Was anybody else not impressed with the Otaku Burlesque? I mean you have to take it for what it is but still....

Here is a suggestion if you think you can do it then I'll put you in contact with Val and lets see you put together a costume pick the music come up with the routine and perform it.

Oh and one other thing if you don't like it don't go the Rave is going on at the same time.

#106 shoujokakumeijchan

shoujokakumeijchan

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

As far as I know, Otakon staff do not check IDs for wristbands, it's done by trained security people, unless the liability issues related to it have somehow changed. This is because the consequences of a minor getting an 18+ wristband are much greater than those of someone picking up someone else's pre-reg badge. (This is also part of the reason that 18+ stickers on badges will very likely never be done - badges make their way all over the place.) I can't imagine that the cost of getting a security person at every reg booth for the duration of registration's hours is feasible.

And it would slow down pre-reg pickup, no matter how much you argue it wouldn't. While people are writing their name and putting their badge in the holder, we're usually getting the next person in line to come up. The reason reg pickup goes so fast is because we work at a hectic pace back there when it's busy. In my personal opinion, it's not worth inconveniencing all of the people who don't need an 18+ wristband just so the minority that do don't have to come back to the reg booths area one more time during the weekend.

Edited by shoujokakumeijchan, 21 August 2011 - 08:50 PM.

Jennifer Brill

Otakon Registration

#107 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

Here is a suggestion if you think you can do it then I'll put you in contact with Val and lets see you put together a costume pick the music come up with the routine and perform it.

Oh and one other thing if you don't like it don't go the Rave is going on at the same time.

Lol I shouldn't of even said anything. Seems to be a touchy subject with some people. *ahem*

Edited by KyoKyo, 21 August 2011 - 09:13 PM.

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
NekoCon 2010, 2011

#108 The INfamous MC

The INfamous MC

Fine, I'm guilty! I wear false eyelashes!

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:08 AM

Scorpion89: KyoKyo is entitled to his opinion as you are. Not everyone is going is going to agree on what programming they like. You don't have to like their opinion, but show other users respect even if you don't agree with them or their opinion.

Robin L. Vial
Ask me again in 2015
Otakon Staff since 2002, so I've done a lot on staff. Frm Gofer (2001) and TCG (2002) #117
Been going to Otakon since 2000.
BBS Moderator: The Originator of Staying on Topic since 2002

#109 mikasomah

mikasomah

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:57 AM

Overall, the con was amazing. It's only my second year, but I found pretty much everything to be up to the amazing par I'm beginning to expect from Otakon. I might've said some of this elsewhere, but I'll repost here to be official.

I absolutely loved the way the Masquerade was run. I've been in Tekkoshocon's masquerade a few years back, and let me tell you, it was a world apart. Otakon Masquerade staff were not only encouraging and helpful, but knew what was going on, when, how, and got us to do what needed doing in a nice and orderly fashion. From check-in to Rehearsal to Costume Critique to the actual show, we didn't find one staffer that was short-tempered or mean, or any bashing between acts - which I had grown accustomed to at other cons. I really hand it to all the attendees who showed up and the staff who worked it - especially the girl staffer behind stage that was going to "go bear" on me should I try to leave before I was told. You, and the male staffer who encouraged us newbies through the process, really helped out, so thanks.

The Guidebook App was the best thing since sliced bread that weekend. I used it constantly, and loved every second. It was easy to navigate and took only seconds to update. I used the maps religiously, though some of the stands were missing from the DR map - mainly the Otakon table which took me forever to find (I'm completely directionally challenged, so not a big deal to me). Just saying that it should be added next year, as I pray to the convention gods that the almighty App returns.

Though it may not be a big deal, when my group first arrived on Friday around noon, we had the hardest time finding the Pre-Reg line. It took us a while to figure out that a line for something else entirely (I'm not entirely sure what it was, I think it had something to do with one of the Guests) had wrapped around and in front of the entrance to the Pre-Reg line. Though after we got into line, it moved like clockwork and we had our badges in less than 20 minutes. Bravo to that, shortest wait time I ever expected at Otakon on Friday. (Maybe getting that late start Friday morning wasn't such a bad thing after all)

Again, great con, and thanks again for putting it together! See you in 2012! (already got the hotel, just waiting for prereg to open)
Survived Otakon Fire Drill 2010

Instigator of the Inuyasha 2011 group:
Inuyasha, Kagome, Miroku, Sango, Sesshomaru, and Kagura

Winners of the Masquerade Novice Category

#110 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:23 AM

As far as I know, Otakon staff do not check IDs for wristbands, it's done by trained security people, unless the liability issues related to it have somehow changed. This is because the consequences of a minor getting an 18+ wristband are much greater than those of someone picking up someone else's pre-reg badge. (This is also part of the reason that 18+ stickers on badges will very likely never be done - badges make their way all over the place.) I can't imagine that the cost of getting a security person at every reg booth for the duration of registration's hours is feasible.

And it would slow down pre-reg pickup, no matter how much you argue it wouldn't. While people are writing their name and putting their badge in the holder, we're usually getting the next person in line to come up. The reason reg pickup goes so fast is because we work at a hectic pace back there when it's busy. In my personal opinion, it's not worth inconveniencing all of the people who don't need an 18+ wristband just so the minority that do don't have to come back to the reg booths area one more time during the weekend.

Oh please that is a cough out we do it at SD Comic Con which is 6 time larger then Otakon with out any delay

#111 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:27 AM

Scorpion89: KyoKyo is entitled to his opinion as you are. Not everyone is going is going to agree on what programming they like. You don't have to like their opinion, but show other users respect even if you don't agree with them or their opinion.

And so am I if your going to make a comment about about a subject that you have no clue about expect someone to defend it. beside all I said was if he/she thinks that it's that easy I can put them in contact with Val and they can go and find out how easy it is.

And I also point out you don't have to go their are other things going on at the same time.

Trust me if I want to attack the position I would

#112 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:20 AM

And so am I if your going to make a comment about about a subject that you have no clue about expect someone to defend it. beside all I said was if he/she thinks that it's that easy I can put them in contact with Val and they can go and find out how easy it is.

And I also point out you don't have to go their are other things going on at the same time.

Trust me if I want to attack the position I would

You need to step back and turn down the flames. It is not your opinion that is the problem, it is your rudeness in expressing it. You were just warned by one mod, and now you are a hair's breadth away from a time out.

Now on to specifics:

SDCC is a different event in a different state and a different city. It has different rules to follow. And I will say again, the professional opinion of our lawyer and the recommendations of local law enforcement on the topic of ID checking are going to trump most anyone else's.

And you don't need to defend cosplay burlesque from someone's disappointment. I suspect the poster is aware they have other options. And for what it is worth, no matter how popular an event is, there will be some folks for whom it just doesn't hit the mark. And that is just fine - it is not like they are a required event, either for attendees or for us.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#113 sven72383

sven72383

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

We got in the "line about 7pm" and walked right in doors because the line didn't exist! 5 mins, got my badge, out. Compared to other cons that I don't get a special badge and have to sit in a pre-reg line, this is a record.

Also, there are other people at the con besides you, just because the badge art was not to your liking does not warrant you calling it pathetic. Only badge they had that I wanted was the Madoka badge. It didn't have Mami on it, but you don't hear me complaining calling it a pathetic badge now do you? Again, compared to other cons that I listed, be glad they even have art on it that the industry let them use.

Though it may not be a big deal, when my group first arrived on Friday around noon, we had the hardest time finding the Pre-Reg line. It took us a while to figure out that a line for something else entirely (I'm not entirely sure what it was, I think it had something to do with one of the Guests) had wrapped around and in front of the entrance to the Pre-Reg line. Though after we got into line, it moved like clockwork and we had our badges in less than 20 minutes. Bravo to that, shortest wait time I ever expected at Otakon on Friday. (Maybe getting that late start Friday morning wasn't such a bad thing after all)

Thank you.

- I mentioned it the day of pre-reg pick up in another thread, but the panelist badge pick up bypass coupon was a good idea, except it would have been faster to just stand in the regular line. All my friends were done pre-reg before me in the panelist pick up line. and that line only had like 30 people in it!

Noted.
The topic will come up again (internally) closer to con next year. For now the consensus between Registration and Panels is that the outside line worked, and the inside line didn't. I don't wish to speak for Panels, but my impression is that the passes will likely return, and the inside line will be scrapped.

Matthew Rosenberger

2013 Member Registration Section | 2013 Virtual Info Desk Department Head | 2013 - 2012 Internet Operations Staff

2012 - 2011 Registration Department Head | 2012 - 2009: Registration Staff | 2008 - 2006: TCG | 2005: Gofer # 592

#114 wolfy2005

wolfy2005

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:52 AM

How about having 18+ specific registration lanes? Security can still be there and not be stretched out over the entirety of the registration booths. The way I figure it is you can have the normal line outside the convention center and then have the people branch off to 18+ or non 18+ once they get inside. And I don't think it'd result in that much a delay. This was my third Otakon and every time I went to get a wristband it took a total of five seconds for the security guard to look at the birthday on my license and hand it to the staffer. Maybe they're supposed to take longer, but that was not the case with me. An extra five to ten seconds per person shouldn't be that big of a deal, at least I wouldn't mind the time.

#115 shoujokakumeijchan

shoujokakumeijchan

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 07:56 AM

How about having 18+ specific registration lanes? Security can still be there and not be stretched out over the entirety of the registration booths. The way I figure it is you can have the normal line outside the convention center and then have the people branch off to 18+ or non 18+ once they get inside. And I don't think it'd result in that much a delay. This was my third Otakon and every time I went to get a wristband it took a total of five seconds for the security guard to look at the birthday on my license and hand it to the staffer. Maybe they're supposed to take longer, but that was not the case with me. An extra five to ten seconds per person shouldn't be that big of a deal, at least I wouldn't mind the time.

5-10 seconds per person would, in fact, add up... Particularly when you get the person who wants an 18+ wristband but is picking up their pre-reg with a college ID and wants to argue about it, or whatever. You might not mind, but all of the people who couldn't give less of a care whether or not they get a wristband probably would.

The only way that I personally would be even remotely in favor of this would be is if it were a separate line that was simply open DURING registration, but separate from the registration lines. And even then, it'd be booths and lining space taken away from registration, so I can't imagine it being popular logistically. I can't speak for any other staff on the matter, though.

Our top priority at registration (and should be, in my opinion) to keep the line going as quick as possible, not to make sure people have easy access to porn and yaoi. At the end of the day, it is not a hardship to return to the Pratt St. Lobby to pick up an 18+ wristband on Friday/Saturday afternoon, once the hectic rush of registration has slowed, if that programming is of interest to you. It's not as though registration is the only line you wait in all weekend, and if wristband ID checking really goes that quick, it shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, I'm sure the topic will be revisited as we prepare for next year's con, but I wouldn't expect major changes. The system we have now works very well for the majority of attendees, and I think many of us subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

Jennifer Brill

Otakon Registration

#116 wolfy2005

wolfy2005

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

To be fair, not everyone that gets a wristband is into porn and yaoi, some of us like the sweet, sweet violence -_-

Anyway, the way I figured it, the right side of the registration booths would be normal, move at the pace established with the barcodes, no wristbands given out. The left side would be the 18+ side where people who get the wristbands get them with their badge. If people aren't interested in getting a wristband then they don't get on the 18+ side. It doesn't even have to be half and half, it could be 2/3rds normal, 1/3rd 18+ and still have the wristband distribution booths open Friday and Saturday evenings if people don't want to get them at that point in time. As to delays with people trying to use a college ID, I noticed on the website as well as the guidebook that it's not specified what kind of ID you require, it just says proper identification. Perhaps spelling out that you need an official ID with date of birth and photo would help?

I know full well that lines are abundant at Otakon and registration is only the first of many, but if you can consolidate two lines into one then that equals more time to enjoy something else rather then spending it waiting on one more line.

#117 shoujokakumeijchan

shoujokakumeijchan

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

With your idea, we still have half to 1/3 of our registration booths operating at sub-optimal capacity during peak hours. That is the compromise that a lot of us find unacceptable.

We don't specify what sort of ID we require for pre-reg pickup because it's not as strict. We'll accept school/college IDs because a lot of our members don't have government-issued photo ID for whatever reason. (I'm of the opinion that if you're 14+ and don't have an official form of ID, you should get one, but that's beside the point.)

But, you'd be surprised how many people think a college ID can be used to prove they're over 18, which I know is nonsense because I had one when I was 17. :x I'm pretty sure it is spelled out in the program book that IDs for 18+ wristbands must be official forms of identification, but if it's not on the website and/or Guidebook stuff, it probably should be. Of course, some (or a lot of) people don't read anything, and that willful ignorance is always going to be an issue.

Jennifer Brill

Otakon Registration

#118 Darthy Storms

Darthy Storms

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:12 AM

Perhaps spelling out that you need an official ID with date of birth and photo would help?

I agree, just state that an official state or province ID or official government passport is needed. That should be easily understood by everyone.

Kat the Timelord

#119 boingboingmiroku

boingboingmiroku

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:39 PM

What Otakon needs:

A room(s) where you can just sit down and catch your breath (and look at the cool stuff you just bought) that is sort of out of the way so that people aren't sitting/lying on the floor, especially in the more narrow hallways.
A room for PLATONIC (innocent) glomping/hugging (everyone needs a hug). (>'u')> <('u'<)
A couple of rooms for people to take pictures in (instead of the hallways).
pR0n starting slightly earlier for those of us who have to catch buses that stop running earlier.
A section of the Dealer's room (or even another room) for 18+ merchandising. I saw a couple of kids looking through some 'items' when their parent/guardian/whoever wasn't looking.
An announcement (on the awesome sheet of awesomeness) of where EXACTLY to pick up 18+ wristbands. Me and some other people were in line for half an hour after asking a couple of Otakon staffers where to get the bands, only to be told when we got to the front that it was in another line.
BETTER BETWEEN-STAFF COMMUNICATION. While waiting in the lower line to get in the Dealer's room on Saturday morning, it was around 10:20 when we were finally told about the exit door malfunction after yelling at staffers for the past twenty minutes about why we weren't being let in and not getting much of a response.
"They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands."-Gungrave(opening credits)
mV(^_^)Vm
Truth:"Watashi wa etchi(or ecchi) da!"-boingboingmiroku
"I reject reality and substitute my own."-Adam Savage
"Jamie want big boom!"-James Hyneman
Posted Image

#120 GlitteringLoke

GlitteringLoke

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

What Otakon needs:

A room(s) where you can just sit down and catch your breath (and look at the cool stuff you just bought) that is sort of out of the way so that people aren't sitting/lying on the floor, especially in the more narrow hallways.
A room for PLATONIC (innocent) glomping/hugging (everyone needs a hug). (>'u')> <('u'<)
pR0n starting slightly earlier for those of us who have to catch buses that stop running earlier.
A section of the Dealer's room (or even another room) for 18+ merchandising. I saw a couple of kids looking through some 'items' when their parent/guardian/whoever wasn't looking.
An announcement (on the awesome sheet of awesomeness) of where EXACTLY to pick up 18+ wristbands. Me and some other people were in line for half an hour after asking a couple of Otakon staffers where to get the bands, only to be told when we got to the front that it was in another line.
BETTER BETWEEN-STAFF COMMUNICATION. While waiting in the lower line to get in the Dealer's room on Saturday morning, it was around 10:20 when we were finally told about the exit door malfunction after yelling at staffers for the past twenty minutes about why we weren't being let in and not getting much of a response.

1- Otacafe is a place you can sit and chill. and look at your crap and out of the way. You should venture there. bring your lunch. maybe sing a song!

2- we don't need a room for hugging and all. i watched ppl practically dry humping in a hallway. the last thing we need is an orgy room.

3- there's a lot of open areas for pictures, esp behind the registration area and by the boats, for example

4- i'm game for earlyer pr0nz. though i also brought my own, so there was some hotel pr0n watching :)

5- not all dealers that sell 18+ stuff sell ONLY 18+ stuff. most of what i saw that was 18+ was covered and at the doujin stand they do ask for ID.

6 - a small thing like that would be nice, but it's in the big book. and now that you've seen it once, you're good from here on out.

7- better communication is always a wishlist for anything in life. Even at work it'd be nice if it was better - and we have a staff of 6.
Cosplay 2011: Kagetoki (Haruka3), Michiru (zombie loan), Milard/Mirald (Tales of Phantasia)
Cosplay 2012: Sarasa (Basara), Veigue - Carta style (Tales of Magic Carta/Rebirth), Michiru (Zombie Loan)

#121 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:50 AM

To be fair, not everyone that gets a wristband is into porn and yaoi, some of us like the sweet, sweet violence :)

Anyway, the way I figured it, the right side of the registration booths would be normal, move at the pace established with the barcodes, no wristbands given out. The left side would be the 18+ side where people who get the wristbands get them with their badge. If people aren't interested in getting a wristband then they don't get on the 18+ side. It doesn't even have to be half and half, it could be 2/3rds normal, 1/3rd 18+ and still have the wristband distribution booths open Friday and Saturday evenings if people don't want to get them at that point in time. As to delays with people trying to use a college ID, I noticed on the website as well as the guidebook that it's not specified what kind of ID you require, it just says proper identification. Perhaps spelling out that you need an official ID with date of birth and photo would help?

I know full well that lines are abundant at Otakon and registration is only the first of many, but if you can consolidate two lines into one then that equals more time to enjoy something else rather then spending it waiting on one more line.

I'm not staff, but let me put a personal spin to this:

I am 48 years old, and yet I never ask to get an 18+ wristband even though I can get one with no problem. The thing is, I'm not into porn, yaoi, and I don't like over-the-top violent anime. So why waste the staff's time and mine to get one.

What you're proposing will only slow up the reg line for people like myself who are not interested in the 18+ programings. I find that totaly unacceptable. Especially when people can pick it up much later on when there is no line.
Danny Perales
Attended every Otakon since 1994

#122 boingboingmiroku

boingboingmiroku

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

What Otakon needs:

1- Otacafe is a place you can sit and chill. and look at your crap and out of the way. You should venture there. bring your lunch. maybe sing a song!

2- we don't need a room for hugging and all. i watched ppl practically dry humping in a hallway. the last thing we need is an orgy room.

3- there's a lot of open areas for pictures, esp behind the registration area and by the boats, for example

4- i'm game for earlyer pr0nz. though i also brought my own, so there was some hotel pr0n watching :)

5- not all dealers that sell 18+ stuff sell ONLY 18+ stuff. most of what i saw that was 18+ was covered and at the doujin stand they do ask for ID.

6 - a small thing like that would be nice, but it's in the big book. and now that you've seen it once, you're good from here on out.

7- better communication is always a wishlist for anything in life. Even at work it'd be nice if it was better - and we have a staff of 6.

1- Well then there needs to be other Otacafe's, because there are plenty of unused rooms all throughout the BCC, and too many people are sitting around congesting the hallways.
2- Some of us see other people wearing shirts that say 'glomp me', 'attack hug', etc., but don't know if the wearer actually realizes what they are wearing, so a room of INNOCENT (all ages) hugging would be a place to relax and be happy, where you know that everyone there wants to be hugged.
3- Behind the Reg. booths is one of the areas that photo taking should be forbidden b/c it is fairly narrow and you aren't allowed to walk in front of the booths unless you walk all the way around them and the taped-/roped-off areas.

Edited by boingboingmiroku, 31 August 2011 - 10:41 AM.

"They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands."-Gungrave(opening credits)
mV(^_^)Vm
Truth:"Watashi wa etchi(or ecchi) da!"-boingboingmiroku
"I reject reality and substitute my own."-Adam Savage
"Jamie want big boom!"-James Hyneman
Posted Image

#123 Aidan2

Aidan2

Keeper of the Holy Cow

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

1- Well then there needs to be other Otacafe's, because there are plenty of unused rooms all throughout the BCC, and too many people are sitting around congesting the hallways.

I'd like to know which BCC you were in and was it during Otakon?

Of the space we had contracted for 2011 (The entirety of the BCC, and a every large room of the Hilton) there was exactly 2 rooms that were not in use. BCC room 305 and room 306 by Otacafe. both are small rooms (25'x30') and as such are not used for that exact reason, they are tiny and which amounts to .09% of the square footage available to us under contract.

There are some things we can do to utilize our function space better, however to make space for "hang out room" when we have Thousands of events and things to attend over the course of our event, many of which need larger and more rooms to accommodate the people that want to goto them.

Some designated areas in lobbys setup for photo shoots is a good plan, however the rooms we have need to be used for either programming or the support of programming.
---MTL---
Michael Lee
- Logistics Section Chief 2011
- Otakon BBS Moderator

-Keeper of the " Holy Cow "

#124 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 04:56 PM

2- Some of us see other people wearing shirts that say 'glomp me', 'attack hug', etc., but don't know if the wearer actually realizes what they are wearing, so a room of INNOCENT (all ages) hugging would be a place to relax and be happy, where you know that everyone there wants to be hugged.
3- Behind the Reg. booths is one of the areas that photo taking should be forbidden b/c it is fairly narrow and you aren't allowed to walk in front of the booths unless you walk all the way around them and the taped-/roped-off areas.

1 - You're asking us to set up lounges. Sounds simple enough -- until you realize that it costs time to have those rooms cleaned and decorated, and you have to burn staff to put in them. That eats up resources we need elsewhere. We have tried to increase seating where possible, but there simply isn't SPACE for the entire public space of the BCC to become a hang-out zone.

What we WILL do, though, is try to keep people from sitting around congesting the hallways in really stupid spots. Unfortunately, more people seem to come just to hang out and not partake in any of the programming -- usually these are the same folks who complain about the cost. Please don't be one of those people.

2 - Signs or t-shirts that invite glomping, hugging, or other physical conduct are considered to be in violation of our sign policy. We've been over this repeatedly -- when we see those sorts of t-shirts or signs, we should be putting a stop to them. Expect more policy enforcement next year.

I'm pretty confident in saying that we will NEVER set up a room for people just go in and hug. Any kind of "officially sanctioned hug zone" is almost certainly right out, for liability concerns to start with. Our lawyer would get that eye twitch thing.

3 - By "space behind reg", I think they're referring to the large open space behind the Starbucks near registration. This year we DID set up a photo zone there. People still chose to be stupid and try to take photos in the congested Sharp Street walk-over zone, or at the foot of stairs and escalators.

Jim Vowles

Previously:

#125 GlitteringLoke

GlitteringLoke

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:26 PM

3 - By "space behind reg", I think they're referring to the large open space behind the Starbucks near registration. This year we DID set up a photo zone there. People still chose to be stupid and try to take photos in the congested Sharp Street walk-over zone, or at the foot of stairs and escalators.

yup, that's what i meant.

#126 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:48 AM

What we WILL do, though, is try to keep people from sitting around congesting the hallways in really stupid spots.

Since you mentioned it, but it bears repeating, this should also include those idiots who like to sit on the steps of a very busy stairwell and expect for people to just go around them. I've seen this happends numerous times.
Danny Perales

#127 Clutch

Clutch

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

Were the photo zones mentioned anywhere on the maps? I didn't see them listed, that I recall. There was at least 2 large Otakon banners but I didn't see an indication of their purpose.
Otakon attendee since 1994 Posted Image
Posted Image

#128 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:47 PM

Were the photo zones mentioned anywhere on the maps? I didn't see them listed, that I recall. There was at least 2 large Otakon banners but I didn't see an indication of their purpose.

IIRC, they were kind of impromptu -- the backdrops weren't a certainty until late in the game, and we didn't know quite how we'd use them all. But I'm sure they'll appear on the maps next year, assuming we keep them where we had them this time.

Jim Vowles

Previously:

#129 wolfy2005

wolfy2005

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:52 AM

I am 48 years old, and yet I never ask to get an 18+ wristband even though I can get one with no problem. The thing is, I'm not into porn, yaoi, and I don't like over-the-top violent anime. So why waste the staff's time and mine to get one.

What you're proposing will only slow up the reg line for people like myself who are not interested in the 18+ programings. I find that totaly unacceptable. Especially when people can pick it up much later on when there is no line.

That's why not all the registration lanes would have wristbands. Don't want or can't get a wristband? Easy, don't get on the wristband lane.

#130 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

That's why not all the registration lanes would have wristbands. Don't want or can't get a wristband? Easy, don't get on the wristband lane.

Right, but you're missing the point. WE direct the traffic -- you don't pick the line to stand in.

Part of the reason our registration is as streamlined as it is is because we eliminated every step we could. If it takes long that 10 seconds to do, it doesn't belong in the mix. We do what we do to chunk through thousands of people per hour.

It may not seem like much, but the throughput at the lines where something has to happen -- like payment, or a complex lookup (most often because the member spelled his own name wrong when he registered) or a handicapped sticker -- is many times slower than the lanes where that doesn't happen. If you show up at pre-reg pickup with ID and printout, and know which badge you want, you're basically looking at 15-30 seconds. Scan the barcode, visual check of ID, click a button, and hand you the badge and packet. Done.

Our system is tweaked to very simple and fast and easy to understand decision points. Adding complexity slows speed significantly. And every lane NOT spent blasting through 2-4 people a minute means a minute more those 2-4 people wait in line. It compounds quickly.

As Danny points out above, you're basically wanting YOUR time not to be wasted waiting in another line where you have to show ID, and that would be reasonable, except that this extra ID-related requirement is NOT something most people need, and thus you are inconveniencing 80% of the people in line for the other 20%. (And I'm probably being generous here.)

Edited by alabaster, 07 September 2011 - 01:57 PM.

Jim Vowles

Previously:

#131 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

Right, but you're missing the point. WE direct the traffic -- you don't pick the line to stand in.

Part of the reason our registration is as streamlined as it is is because we eliminated every step we could. If it takes long that 10 seconds to do, it doesn't belong in the mix. We do what we do to chunk through thousands of people per hour.

It may not seem like much, but the throughput at the lines where something has to happen -- like payment, or a complex lookup (most often because the member spelled his own name wrong when he registered) or a handicapped sticker -- is many times slower than the lanes where that doesn't happen. If you show up at pre-reg pickup with ID and printout, and know which badge you want, you're basically looking at 15-30 seconds. Scan the barcode, visual check of ID, click a button, and hand you the badge and packet. Done.

Our system is tweaked to very simple and fast and easy to understand decision points. Adding complexity slows speed significantly. And every lane NOT spent blasting through 2-4 people a minute means a minute more those 2-4 people wait in line. It compounds quickly.

As Danny points out above, you're basically wanting YOUR time not to be wasted waiting in another line where you have to show ID, and that would be reasonable, except that this extra ID-related requirement is NOT something most people need, and thus you are inconveniencing 80% of the people in line for the other 20%. (And I'm probably being generous here.)

But as you just pointed out we come to Pre-Reg with our prit-out and photo id that shows are age hmm the person looking at the id is checking to match face and signature to the print out correct has to look at the age at the same time hence if your over 18 you should be giving out the wrist band and what you really think it's going to add how much more time. We do it at SDCC with 4 time amount of folks and don't have issue with it.

As for the Photo back drops may I make one little suggesting the one near Starbucks had real bad lighting most of the day maybe have one of the larger backdrops moved up to the 4th floor and have signs saying that or at least on the map.

#132 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

We do it at SDCC with 4 time amount of folks and don't have issue with it.

And with how many more times the staff? yeah, this is not the SDCC
Looking for a room? We can find one for you.
https://docs.google....1o1ZUE6MQ#gid=0

#133 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:21 PM

Staff size doesn't have anything to do with how about I list some smaller Cons that do it.

#134 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:27 AM

Staff size doesn't have anything to do with how about I list some smaller Cons that do it.

Yes it does have everything to do with it. List every damn con you want and i will pull up the complaint that people stood hours in line compared to the 15 minutes i stood in otakons line.

Seriously just give it up already. The line system otakon has now works fine, stop trying to fudge it up and listen to what people are saying
Looking for a room? We can find one for you.
https://docs.google....1o1ZUE6MQ#gid=0

#135 Clutch

Clutch

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

It looks to me like the Otakon registration lines are optimized for speed and not convenience. It is a lot better to get thousands of people out of the very hot and humid Baltimore air as quickly as possible than to cater to the fewer people that want wristbands. I like air conditioning, not 95+ degree weather with 98% humidity, but I may be in the minority. :lol:
Posted Image

#136 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

It looks to me like the Otakon registration lines are optimized for speed and not convenience. It is a lot better to get thousands of people out of the very hot and humid Baltimore air as quickly as possible than to cater to the fewer people that want wristbands. I like air conditioning, not 95+ degree weather with 98% humidity, but I may be in the minority. :lol:

Include me in among the "minority". :lol:
Danny Perales

#137 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

Actually their are allot of folks who would like to get their 18+ bracelet at the same time, believe me if you were in the line on Friday for the 18+ you would have heard the comments I'm pretty sure allot of the staff heard this question allot why can't we get them while we are Registering. Of the 2 line's I had to stand in Pre-Reg and the 18+ line Pre-Reg took me all of maybe 10 minutes on Thrus 18+ took me almost and 1/2 hour on Frid afternoon.

#138 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

Yes it does have everything to do with it. List every damn con you want and i will pull up the complaint that people stood hours in line compared to the 15 minutes i stood in otakons line.

Seriously just give it up already. The line system otakon has now works fine, stop trying to fudge it up and listen to what people are saying

Lol I agree. I can't believe this thread is still going. I haven't read the forums in over a month and it keeps going and going and going....

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
NekoCon 2010, 2011

#139 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

Actually their are allot of folks who would like to get their 18+ bracelet at the same time,

Well, then there's a W H O L E - L O T of other folks who just want their con's badge much sooner so they can enjoy the event, instead of wasting their precious time waiting in line in the hot-humid sun, or rain.

believe me if you were in the line on Friday for the 18+ you would have heard the comments I'm pretty sure allot of the staff heard this question allot why can't we get them while we are Registering.

From five to seven hundred people out of 14 thousand (I'm just throwing in those numbers)? I'm sure the staff has already thought of what's best.

Of the 2 line's I had to stand in Pre-Reg and the 18+ line Pre-Reg took me all of maybe 10 minutes on Thrus 18+ took me almost and 1/2 hour on Frid afternoon.

So here's a few questions: What time of day it was when you were on Thursday's Pre-reg line? How many people were ahead of you, then? How many people were ahead of you during Friday's 18+ line?

Do the math.
Danny Perales

#140 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Disciplinary Committee Chair

• Veteran Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

When Otakon has 130,000 people in attendance, coverage on national television, tens of millions of dollars in their budget and money to pay their staffers, get back to us. Otherwise, Otakon is a significantly smaller con than SDCC that does what it can with the resources available to it and does a DAMN good job of it. Seriously, what's with all the hate?

It's like going to Five Guys and complaining because they wouldn't serve you a steak. What they offer is still top notch, but if your expectations are irrational, they're just going to laugh at you. <_<

gama2014_zps45cead10.jpg

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John B., Member '07, '09-'12, '14]

Fanvideos:  2014 | 2012 | 2011

#141 The INfamous MC

The INfamous MC

Fine, I'm guilty! I wear false eyelashes!

• Board Moderator
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

Either stay on topic and offer constructive criticism and feedback about Otakon 2011 (we welcome all feedback so we can make Otakon better for you <_<) or bite your tongue (well..fingers) and stop going off topic. The last few posts were nothing but Off Topic snipping back and forth or comparing xyz con to Otakon.

This is a feedback topic. Take the Off topic snipping off the forums.

Thank you come again. :)

Robin L. Vial
Ask me again in 2015
Otakon Staff since 2002, so I've done a lot on staff. Frm Gofer (2001) and TCG (2002) #117
Been going to Otakon since 2000.
BBS Moderator: The Originator of Staying on Topic since 2002

#142 Revengel

Revengel

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

I've been coming to Otakon for years...actually over a decade and a half. Go me!

Anyhow here's my feedback:

1) Pre-Reg lines & process? CHANGE NOTHING. As I've been coming to Otakon since Hunt Valley I have to say I've seen the lines move slow...and I've seen them move fast. A trip around the BCC (in line) in under an hour? GOLDEN.

2) Programming lines - the only one that I had any issue with was the Fullmetal when we were told by staff that we wouldn't get in. Coupled with the long line that went beyond the tape (WAY beyond the tape) there was a general chaos that inhabited the line. We got in, people several layers behind us got in, but it was not the best day. The other lines worked out very well; this was the exception for the premire events (in our experience)

3) Schedules - Having them posted in various areas of the BCC was a good move (again). Having them on the website earlier could help, but there are constraints that we understand you are under. While it's sometimes annoying I'm glad that you force us to make hard choices rather than have *everyone* in the same thing at the same time.

4) Hotels - I wasn't crazy about the link debacle...so if this counts as feedback I'd like to see an annoucement to stick (wait a week to release hotels) or just open them up during the con & stick with that. Personally I'm a fan of the former but there's another thread dedicated to that.

All in all - this was the best Otakon I've been to in years....and the best one that Dr. Mrs. & I have ever been to - meaning we had the best time between the both of us.

Well done.

Revengel
Been to every Otakon since 1997 and counting...

#143 Clutch

Clutch

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:54 AM

I've been coming to Otakon for years...actually over a decade and a half. Go me!

Anyhow here's my feedback:

4) Hotels - I wasn't crazy about the link debacle...so if this counts as feedback I'd like to see an annoucement to stick (wait a week to release hotels) or just open them up during the con & stick with that. Personally I'm a fan of the former but there's another thread dedicated to that.

Revengel

I don't have easily accessible Internet at the convention, and I would imagine that people at the con would sell out all of the next year's hotel space almost instantly with "smart phones". Waiting a few weeks to release the hotels is probably the better option, and would resort in fewer cancellations from impulse reservations.
Posted Image

#144 Elisto

Elisto

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:48 PM

The convention was great, and I didn't mind the lines since there was so much great stuff worth waiting for.

That said, I and a few others STILL HAVE NOT BEEN PAID FOR ART SHOW SALES!! (Some people have told me they've been waiting a few years!!) Yes, I've posted plenty about this in the Art Show forum about this (and will continue to do so until I'm paid), and I've emailed Otakon staff plenty about it, I just want to mention it here where it might get more attention and warn future artists who may not know Otakon does not treat its artists well, so DO NOT sell at the Art Show!

Elizabeth Ingianni

Lost and Found - Otakon 2014

#145 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

Okay here is a topic I know I asked about and at least one other person has asked about and it's a safety issue.

Will the Otakon Staff please ask the BBC folks who run the food stand to please list what type of Oil that the fried food is cook in. I had a person in my group who is can die from eating anything that has Peanut's or Nuts in general. When she ask the person at the booth she got a very snarky remark from the person behind the counter and we ended up eating outside of the BBC.

it's not to much to ask them to put up a simple sign.