Photo

How do I become an Otakon Gofer for 2012?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:37 AM

You've just fniished downloading your pictures from Otakon, and started thinking that you'd really like to be part of Otakon in a more substantial way. How do you go about that?

You can Gofer! A Gofer is a volunteer for Otakon who works just at the Con. There are perqs, and you can read about those on the Gofer FAQ.

But keep this in mind if you're considering working for us next year....

When Pre-reg opens, the Gofer pre-reg opens.

You pre-reg for the con, and then go right to the Gofer pre-reg and sign up.

It is that easy!

Think about it, won't you?

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013

#2 wubwub

wubwub

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

You can Gofer! A Gofer is a volunteer for Otakon who works just at the Con. There are perqs, and you can read about those on the Gofer FAQ.

I can confirm gofering is (sometimes hard) work but lots of fun and a great way to spend any spare down-time you have at the con. I really enjoyed my gofering and helping out. It is almost like being staff but without all the responsibilities and headache that I know Sue endures :-)

#3 Xatni

Xatni

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:44 AM

I can confirm gofering is (sometimes hard) work but lots of fun and a great way to spend any spare down-time you have at the con. I really enjoyed my gofering and helping out. It is almost like being staff but without all the responsibilities and headache that I know Sue endures :-)

Pretty much this! I gofered for the first time this past year, and I had a blast. I got to meet a lot of awesome people that I probably wouldn't have interacted with otherwise, just among my fellow gofers, and I also gained an appreciation for just how much goes on behind the scenes, how much hard work is invested in pulling Otakon together into the awesome weekend it always is. With that said, it is a lot of work; you won't just be sitting around doing nothing and resting on the laurels of your awesome shiny orange gofer ribbon, but I always found my work to be extremely rewarding and gratifying.

Aside from that, the perks are pretty freakin' sweet, too; I didn't opt to work enough hours to qualify for all of them, but the meal vouchers I got came in pretty handy, and getting both a nifty exclusive gofer T-shirt and an Otakon shirt for free were definitely well worth the hours I put in.

Basically, like wubwub mentioned, being a gofer is the next-best thing to working staff for Otakon; you get to help out at one of the biggest anime conventions on the east coast and you get free goodies for doing so, but with none of the stress of being a full-time staffer! (Trust me, they work their BUTTS off...)
Gofer #131 for Otakon 2011

2011 Cosplays:
Genderbent!Junpei Iori from Persona 3
Wall Reaper (red) from The World Ends With You

2012 Cosplays:
Friday - Junpei Iori (spring outfit); Persona 3/Trixie; Speed Racer
Saturday - Tenkai; Sengoku Basara
Sunday - female Ranma; Ranma 1/2