Photo

Anime Expo has more people, but...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Adv1sor

Adv1sor

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

Looking at the list of events, guests, and dealers for both AX and Otakon, it seems that Otakon has more of all.

Or am I reading this wrong?

(I've never been to AX, but I am trying to determine if it's worth the trip).

#2 GlitteringLoke

GlitteringLoke

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:50 AM

Looking at the list of events, guests, and dealers for both AX and Otakon, it seems that Otakon has more of all.

Or am I reading this wrong?

(I've never been to AX, but I am trying to determine if it's worth the trip).

you are correct! my time at AX this year was: Friday: industry hall. Saturday: Morikawa Toshiyuki panel; industry hall. Sunday: Industry hall, guest reception ($ was more than my AX ticket), Monday: Industry hall, panel where panelists didn't show up. We missed 2 of the other seiyuu panels we wanted to see and autographs aren't listed on any schedule, so i missed sawashiro miyuki completely :(

sooooooooo much more programming at otakon. though i got crispin freeman, wendee lee (i wish i knew she was gonna be there D:), and stephanie sheh's (i can't seem to ever spell her name right) autographs at the the one industry table. I guess being in LA has that perk of getting VAs to promote at their table without really being guests. (Sweet folks tho. Wendee was super nice)
Cosplay 2011: Kagetoki (Haruka3), Michiru (zombie loan), Milard/Mirald (Tales of Phantasia)
Cosplay 2012: Sarasa (Basara), Veigue - Carta style (Tales of Magic Carta/Rebirth), Michiru (Zombie Loan)

#3 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,918 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:08 AM

New York and L.A. Both have the big advantage of lots of locals who do voice work, which makes it possible (and cheap) to have them aa guests. Many times they can just stop in for a few hours and be done with it, and all you need is a table.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)