Photo

Hurricane Irene

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

Just got back from Walmart with flash lights, canned food, batteries and enough bottle water to survive in the Sahara for several years.

How is everyone coping? Has anyone evacuated? What are you doing to keep safe? Being down the eastern shore we're prone to flooding during even modest weather so this big storm has a lot of people worried.

Hope all the otaku here on the boards are safe and sound and are aptly prepared! :lol:

"OoOoOOo  shiny! .....I'm sorry what was your question?"- Kyle Hebert 

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
Otakon 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012
NekoCon 2010, 2011, 2014. 

NekoCon 2014: The Emperor's Royal Guard, Return of the Jedi. 

#2 gamergirlx

gamergirlx

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:08 AM

I'm just moving my motorcycle into a more sheltered area. I don't think it's going to be as bad as the media is making it out to be. I'm just glad my rotation at the hospital was last weekend. Because of the disaster alert, everyone scheduled to work this weekend has to remain there from Saturday through Monday. So glad it's not me.

gamergirlx_link_1.jpg

#3 Tigress

Tigress

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:50 AM

Nothing impressive so far and it's currently creeping along the Carolina coast. (I'm in Greensboro right now.)
Kat's Play -- Unrelated to Reality

I always wanted to be somebody, but I should've been more specific. -- Lily Tomlin

#4 animelair

animelair

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 02:49 AM

nothing to prepare really see I'm the assistant manager in a shoppers food warehouse so if anything bad really happens I'm in a grocery store packed full of food so I'm good :lol:
Wolfgang Krauser on Facebook feel free to drop me a line

#5 Ultimecia029

Ultimecia029

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:05 PM

I put a few extra bottles of water in the fridge and closed the basement window. Not planning to much else since the fridge and pantry were already stocked and we keep batteries and candles on hand at all times. I hope people stay safe.

Without psycho analysis we would never know that when we think a thing the thing we think is not the thing that makes us think but only the thing that makes us think the thing we think we think we think.
Author Unknown.... I think

Otakon Attendee Since 1999

#6 Clutch

Clutch

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

The local stores are completely sold out of flash-lights, and C cell/D cell batteries. One person was standing in the empty flash-light aisle just shaking his head; he was dumbfounded. There was a run on bottled water too. The local drug store clerk said it was a mad-house when she came in. The hurricane may turn out to be nothing in the Philadelphia area, but I would rather people be over-prepared, than overwhelmed.
Otakon attendee since 1994 Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 RTeker

RTeker

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 03:38 PM

i live in northern Va and after the earthquake and ALL them aftershocks, the hurrican isn't a worry for me. I work at a shoppers food and last night people were paniking for water and stuff and we aren't even gonna get hit with the hard stuff according to the maps... aint that funny
Posted Image

#8 windseeker

windseeker

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:18 PM

My biggest concern where I live is tree branches falling and a power out. Out power company sucks ass and power goes out all the time. Got some bottled water, ice, candles and some foodstuffs, but that's the most of it. And just in case we'll all be sleeping downstairs.

Otakon attendee: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
2011 1st time Gofer #178

#9 Hiroto

Hiroto

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

I hope that everyone will be okay and all. I'm wondering how the house is doing back in Maryland. I'm currently out west right now on vacation for an extra few days because the flights were canceled. We were supposed to come back today but the airport is closed I think.

#10 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:02 PM

I was already prepared for it, but then, I had to go to Coney Island to pick up my brother (since the mayor declared that area a part of a mandatory evacuation zone).

It's raining pretty hard here in Manhattan right now, but there's nothing like having a bucket of KFC, ice tea, and watching anime to spend the time. :lol:
Danny Perales
Attended every Otakon since 1994

#11 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:08 AM

Cat 1 historical hurricane.

yes, the most historically overhyped hurricane...ever
Looking for a room? We can find one for you.
https://docs.google....1o1ZUE6MQ#gid=0

#12 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:29 AM

Cat 1 historical hurricane.

yes, the most historically overhyped hurricane...ever

Yeah I'd have to agree. We got hit on the eastern shore but it was no where near as bad as the weather channel made it out to be. I think people were so terrified of it being another Katrina and hitting a major urban area that everyone panicked.

I agree that it IS better to be safe than sorry though. The localized damage down here was heavy. Dorchester county below me got flooded out pretty badly. Maybe I won't have to teach tomorrow lol :lol:

"OoOoOOo  shiny! .....I'm sorry what was your question?"- Kyle Hebert 

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
Otakon 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012
NekoCon 2010, 2011, 2014. 

NekoCon 2014: The Emperor's Royal Guard, Return of the Jedi. 

#13 itachiromeep

itachiromeep

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:00 PM

I agree that it was overhyped, but a hurricane is a hurricane. This was still no Isabel at the least. At most I lost power for ten seconds, so I sat there and watched all of Madoka. But then I have a friend who apparently now has a hole in his house.

I'm still mad my mom made me fill up two containers with water in case we had none. :lol:

B. Lomotey
Gofer # 1501
---------------

Possible Otakon 2014 Costumes/Outfits
Schoolgirl!Angelic Buster - Maplestory

#14 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,967 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

What people forget is that part of the reason Isabel was so bad is that it came right up the Chesapeake at high tide and pushed it all up the tributaries; there was a pretty good chance that it would happen this time too, hence the "panic" -- really just smart precautions. It is extremely difficult to predict specifics about hurricanes, but generally they did okay with this one, though it stalled unexpectedly and kept changing speeds.

No matter what else, 750,000 people in Maryland were without power, countless areas of flooding occurred, and plenty of property damage too. 4-10 inches of rain and 50-80 mile per hour winds is not something you laugh off. Yes, the newscasters milked it all day long and all night too, but it was something where they really were performing a service because you could get up to date info.

Better safe than sorry.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#15 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

watched all of Madoka.

we actually renamed this hurricane to Walpurgis Night
Looking for a room? We can find one for you.
https://docs.google....1o1ZUE6MQ#gid=0

#16 Darthy Storms

Darthy Storms

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:51 AM

Friday one person bought 10 boxes of Imodium!! I shudder to think what that was for!!!

Kat the Timelord

#17 Cyanna

Cyanna

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

We came out pretty unscathed...just a large puddle in the basement. The worst thing we were expecting was for the power to go out and then we'd have to deal with several inches of water in the basement. So we spent most of the weekend moving things to higher places. We had power for the entire time.

But half of my town is blocked off, under water, and without power. I had a panicked text message from my sister this morning asking if we were okay because she was hearing all these horror stories about our area (we don't have TV). Looking at our individual situation I could make a case for feeling underwhelmed. But there's too much damage in the surrounding areas for me to maintain that sentiment for longer than 2 seconds.

#18 Zairelyn

Zairelyn

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

I'm on Cape Cod. We lost a ton of trees. One brushed the house on the way down but didn't do any damage to the house which is good. Haven't had power since Sunday at 11am which is starting to get a bit sucky. Just got back to work today my boss told me not to come in yesterday. They had power but no internet or phones. We just got those back about an hour ago here at work. Here's hoping the power is on when I get home and I can take a hot shower! The power company's estimate for the power getting turned back on in out neighborhood was Friday though I understand they are fixing the power to towns that had a higher amount of customers without power... I actually went to work with my mother yesterday instead of hanging out in the non-powered house. She works at the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. Check out this pic I snapped of one of the salt-water pump houses near her office. Spent the afternoon in a bar in Wood's Hole that also didn't have power drinking Dark and Stormy's so productive Monday? I think yes.

Hope everyone else is doing okay!

Edited by Zairelyn, 30 August 2011 - 11:34 AM.

here and there and everywhere but no where in between

Check out my Deviantart. It will be fun; I promise.

Posted Image

#19 boingboingmiroku

boingboingmiroku

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:05 PM

On Friday my mother and I started stuffing plastic/resin chairs and trashcans and tables into the tiny (8L x 3W x ~8H) storage shed that was already full of decorations and stuff. On Saturday, we stayed home and watched TV (and I introduced her to Case Closed/Detective Conan). On Sunday I rode my bike (I live in Dundalk) down to the Inner Harbor to see the "damage" of the "hurricane" and saw a total of 3 trees and 1 power line down. BTW it takes me on my bike ~1 hour to get to the convention center. It takes the bus about the same amount of time. Unfortunately I didn't see any bike racks in front of the BCC, so I guess I'll still be riding the bus. Although officially Baltimore City only recieved 2-3" of rain, in my backyard trashcan with the hole halfway to the top(~2.5' from hole to ground), it was full to the hole, so we UNOFFICIALLY recieved more than 2.5 FEET of rain from Irene. When doing weather reports and the like, WJZ usually includes Dundalk with the City b/c we are literally right next to them. I didn't even lose power.
"They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands."-Gungrave(opening credits)
mV(^_^)Vm
Truth:"Watashi wa etchi(or ecchi) da!"-boingboingmiroku
"I reject reality and substitute my own."-Adam Savage
"Jamie want big boom!"-James Hyneman
Posted Image

#20 itachiromeep

itachiromeep

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:42 PM

I hope everyone gets their power back really soon.

B. Lomotey
Gofer # 1501
---------------

Possible Otakon 2014 Costumes/Outfits
Schoolgirl!Angelic Buster - Maplestory

#21 Tai Prime

Tai Prime

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:03 AM

I work near bethany beach in delaware and Our store ran out of gas twice on friday plus we had poeple fist fighting over the pumps. I wish i had a camera Lol! Nothing happened to house my exsept a few huge trees in the neigbors yard fell. I worked all though friday and saturday the boss wouldn't close the store for anything.

Otakon 2013 Cosplays:
Yuki-Onna (nurarihyon no Mago) 100%, Urahara (female Version) (Bleach) 15%, Yukio (Aoi No Exorcist)- 0%, Natsume W/ Nyako Sensei (Natsume Yuujinchou)- 10%

Otakon 2012 Cosplays:
Kikyo (Inuyashia) - 100%, Yuki-Onna (nurarihyon no Mago) 100%, Merin (kuroshitsuji - Maid outfit) 100%, Nanao Ise (Bleach)- 100% (still working on her sword for Otakon ?)

Otakon 2011 Cosplays:
Merin (kuroshitsuji - Maid outfit) 100%, Nanao Ise (Bleach)- 100% (still working on her sword for Otakon ?)

Cosplays for later:

Yoshino (Digimon) 0%, Chrome (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)- 2%

#22 KSweeley

KSweeley

Otakon Staff since 2010, Otakon Attendee since 2001.

• Otakon Staff
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:21 AM

Irene didn't do any damage within my area, just a lot of wind and rain, fortunately my house was not flooded and no trees fell and the power did not go out.

Kun Sun Sweeley (KSweeley) | Otakorp, Inc. Voting Member 2010-15 | Otakon 2015 Staff - ????? Division - ????? Department |Otakon 2014 Staff - Exhibitions Divison - Art Show Department | Otakon 2013 Staff - Member Relations (formerly Member Services) Division - General Staff Department, Otakon 2011-2012 Staff - Programming Division - Otachan Department, Otakon 2010 Staff - Staff Relations Division - Staff Pool Department | (former Gofer 2004, TCG 2005-06, 2008, Tier 2: 2009 #403) | Otakon 2001-2014 Attendee | Chat with me on AIM: WeezingPok | Add Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ksweeley/ | Add Me As a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ksweeley