Photo

Marriage Proposal at Otakon 2012

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 MNCBeauty

MNCBeauty

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:56 AM

I'm going to propose to my girlfriend of 3 years at Otakon next year (2012) and I want to make a bit of a production out of it. I'm going to sing her a song, then get on one knee and propose (I'm a bit of a romantic). I'd like to do it somewhere in the halls, or by the fountain, or at the start of the masquerade, but I'm unsure where I can do it where I won't be bothering any panels or photoshoots going on. My thought is to do it on Saturday the 28th, and I just need some advice/ideas.

Thanks<3
Banner removed for exceeding max height requirement. Please read the BBS Guidelines.

#2 ZGL

ZGL

here we stand

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

1. Please please please for the love of all that is good and holy (which probably includes your lady), don't pick a spot on the 300 level east of the Skybridge (the side with the fountains, Otacafe, etc). There is so much traffic there! :) Similarly, carefully consider before planning something near the fountains in the Charles Street Lobby, as that area tends to be filled with crowds and lines.

2. When the schedule comes out, you'll be able to see and plan around things with big lines, like popular premieres, major guests, etc.

[Otakon staff hat off]

Downstairs in the Hilton lobby might be a good location, as it's out of the way of lines and crowds, with big open spaces, without being secluded. Likewise over in the Pratt Street lobby, past Registration (sort of near the Skywalk to the Hilton, if you were going from Registration towards Autographs and Workshops), there's a large space that typically has few crowds.

Another possible location is on the 400 level, if you plan for a time when big premieres' lines won't be there. There are some lovely outdoor spots, too.

[Otakon staff hat on]

We generally only ask that you not block traffic or disturb panels/screenings that are occurring, whether you're planning a game of freeze tag or an impromptu dance-off or a marriage proposal. So long as your plans fit within our policies, you're pretty okay by us. We appreciate you asking ahead of time. :D

Meredith Davey || Access Control
Access Control 2nd 2013, Communications Captain 2011-2012

Board of Directors Member at Large 2009-2010, 2012
Programming Section Chief 2010
Assistant to the Programming Section Chief 2009
Panels Ninja Department Head 2007-2008

#3 sven72383

sven72383

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

... over in the Pratt Street lobby, past Registration (sort of near the Skywalk to the Hilton, if you were going from Registration towards Autographs and Workshops), there's a large space that typically has few crowds.

That area is just as you describe it, but it seems that it is getting more popular as a location for photograhy and "just sittin' around" (just so you know).

Matthew Rosenberger

2013 Member Registration Section | 2013 Virtual Info Desk Department Head | 2013 - 2012 Internet Operations Staff

2012 - 2011 Registration Department Head | 2012 - 2009: Registration Staff | 2008 - 2006: TCG | 2005: Gofer # 592

#4 legalesey

legalesey

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:11 PM

Where ever you do decide to do it, you should let us know, this sounds adorable...

#5 The INfamous MC

The INfamous MC

Fine, I'm guilty! I wear false eyelashes!

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,400 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:28 PM

Please don't necro old posts.

Robin L. Vial
Otakorp, Inc. Chief of Staff 2014
Otakon Staff since 2002, so I've done a lot on staff. Frm Gofer (2001) and TCG (2002) #117
Been going to Otakon since 2000.
BBS Moderator: The Originator of Staying on Topic since 2002