Photo

Otakon 2011 Group Horror Stories

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 cards344

cards344

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:48 AM

What was the worst thing that happened with your group at Otakon 2011.

For starters i just want to point out that i am the group leader, i make the reservations, i make sure people pre-reg and drive everyone around, my friends now actually call me their father of cons. Me and my friends agreed to meet up and bail a little early on Friday night, our hotel was about a 15 minute drive from the convention center and i was the driver. All my friends arrived on time but my one female friend, her phone was going straight to voice mail and no one had seen her for hours. Finally my one friend remembered her saying something about meeting some people from 4chan, and thats when i began to freak out. Its not that the fact they were from 4chan that bothered me, its her meeting people we dont know and that she has never met before that had me concerned. We ended up searching the whole convention center for over an hour and couldn't find her, we finally remembered a late night panel she said she wanted to go to, and thank god we finally found her. The reason why we couldnt find her was because she completely changed her hair style and clothes since we last seen her and didnt recognize her and she neglected to tell anyone her phone batterie dies in less than an hour and she didnt bring a charger. Needless to say we had the most awkward silent car ride to the hotel and I wasnt calmed down until i took my muscle relaxers and sleeping pills. The next day she full apologized and i made sure she had her phone charger in her purse and the rest of the weekend went with no problems.

This next test applies the principles of momentum to movement through portals. If the laws of physics no longer apply in the future, Gold help you.
-Prerecorded Message in Portal 2

Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/cards344

Deviantart Page: http://cards344.deviantart.com/

#2 Ties

Ties

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

Yay, another group organizer. I know how it feels to be waiting for somebody when the rest of the group is waiting for that one tardy person (happened to me in 2010)

My horror story from Otakon 2011 is about parking. I rent a minibus for our trip (20 people 12 hour roadtrip is super awesome) and before Otakon I call the hotel we're staying at, the Holiday Inn, to check that they have parking for oversized vehicules. The clerk tells me that it's no problem and the parking valet will show us where it is when we get to the hotel. We get there and the guy at the parking says there's no parking for large vehicules. I go inside and the clerk at the reception desk tells me that the only parking for large vehicules would be at the Orioles stadium parking. I get there and the parking is 60$ per day for large vehicules, pretty much double what I had budgeted for parking. All of my planned overhead went in that unexpected parking price.

Can't wait to be back at the Days Inn for 2012. Was there in 2010 and parked the minibus there for 25$ per day in their own large vehicule parking. Also the bus will be in the shade most of the day compared to the stadium parking. It was damn hot in that minibus after spending 3 days under direct sunlight.

#3 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

*ahem* organizer pro-tip: If someone is over 18, hovering over them being the "con dad or mom" is a sure fire way to get on someones annoying list, really quick. Getting into a nervous break down over an ADULT walking around and being that person that suffocates everyone with their overprotectivness will only ruin the con for yourself and others.

Trying not to be mean cards, but if I was in her shoes, I would likely steer clear of you in any future con plans as I would not enjoy feeling like I was on a leash 24/7, plus getting that worked up over someone wanting to have fun by their own means instead of by the "group herd" would likely be an instant turn or at least sit in the back of their minds.

Edited by evaunit01berserk, 16 January 2012 - 12:43 AM.

Looking for a room? We can find one for you.
https://docs.google....1o1ZUE6MQ#gid=0

#4 cards344

cards344

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

Oh, while at the con i feel you should do whatever you want, and me and my friends always split up and do our own thing, the only group descion is when to leave since i have to drive everyone back to the hotel and no one wants to spend money on a cab or go through the trouble of getting a shuttle. I was just freaked out because she has never been to Otakon or an anime convention with more than 3000 people, hasnt been seen or heard from since noon that day and it was midnight and she was over an hour late to the meeting spot.

This next test applies the principles of momentum to movement through portals. If the laws of physics no longer apply in the future, Gold help you.

#5 scifigrl47

scifigrl47

Fresh Meat

• Otakon Staff
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

*ahem* organizer pro-tip: If someone is over 18, hovering over them being the "con dad or mom" is a sure fire way to get on someones annoying list, really quick. Getting into a nervous break down over an ADULT walking around and being that person that suffocates everyone with their overprotectivness will only ruin the con for yourself and others.

Trying not to be mean cards, but if I was in her shoes, I would likely steer clear of you in any future con plans as I would not enjoy feeling like I was on a leash 24/7, plus getting that worked up over someone wanting to have fun by their own means instead of by the "group herd" would likely be an instant turn or at least sit in the back of their minds.

I understand what you're saying, but when my friends and I split up at con, there's usually an agreement as to when and where we're going to meet up. If one of my friends didn't show up at the appointed time, there's two reasons: they're unreliable, or something unexpected and possibly bad has happened.

Think about it. If a friend knew that everyone was planning on leaving at a certain time, and by being late, they were holding up the whole rest of the group, that's kind of a horrible thing to do to your friends. They have the choice between waiting for you, or leaving without you, and they don't know if you're sick, in trouble, lost, fallen asleep in a panel room, gotten eaten by grues, gone to get something to eat, kidnapped by pirates... The possiblities are endless, and I would get worried, too. If one of my friends didn't make it to an approved meetup point and time, and they weren't answering their phone, I'd be in crisis mode pretty darn quick.

Hovering and controlling is bad. Not being concerned when your friends disappear is equally lame. 8)
Kerry Walker
Main Events Staff, Otakon 2011

#6 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

I was just freaked out because she has never been to Otakon or an anime convention with more than 3000 people, hasnt been seen or heard from since noon that day and it was midnight and she was over an hour late to the meeting spot.

Again, if she was 18, she is a big girl and can handle herself <or so society likes to think> but man, don't get that worked up over such things that your health is in danger, there is a reason cops want at least 24 hours to file a missing persons report :P

I understand what you're saying, but when my friends and I split up at con, there's usually an agreement as to when and where we're going to meet up. If one of my friends didn't show up at the appointed time, there's two reasons: they're unreliable, or something unexpected and possibly bad has happened.

Think about it. If a friend knew that everyone was planning on leaving at a certain time, and by being late, they were holding up the whole rest of the group, that's kind of a horrible thing to do to your friends. They have the choice between waiting for you, or leaving without you, and they don't know if you're sick, in trouble, lost, fallen asleep in a panel room, gotten eaten by grues, gone to get something to eat, kidnapped by pirates... The possiblities are endless, and I would get worried, too. If one of my friends didn't make it to an approved meetup point and time, and they weren't answering their phone, I'd be in crisis mode pretty darn quick.

Hovering and controlling is bad. Not being concerned when your friends disappear is equally lame. 8)

I sent my reply in a PM :P
All in all, I've gone through a good amount situations being that I organize the hotel rooms for the last...hell I lost count, years. Getting all worked up ready to freak out is counter productive and just causes more damages in the long run.

As for the topic I will add my own nightmare: A former friend waking up in the middle of the night stone cold drunk and peeing on one of the girls luggage in the room thinking it was a toilet.

#7 flight815kitsune

flight815kitsune

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:34 PM

My roommates last year could have been much worse, but two did things that were...annoying. It was disappointing, as they are my coworkers and I thought I knew roughly how they would behave.
The first did not prereg, saying that it was his tradition to stand in line. Fine, your decision. So the other three of us, who had prereg'd, leave to pick up our badges. He calls us as we are entering the bcc, saying that he is going to order pizza. We tell him that if he waits maybe 20 minutes, we'd be back and glad to order with him. He agrees. The pizza guy has already come by the time we get back. He ate all but two slices, which he offered to the three of us. He then takes his sleeping pills as he would like to get some sleep (this was maybe 7) before he leaves in the morning (he said around 3.). We read, watch tv at low volume, and browse the internet, since we don't want to be too loud. He is OUT. At 10, we decide we don't want to eat all of our snacks and decide to order chinese food. After it arrives and we've eaten most of it, he wakes up. He asked why we didn't wake him and gets pissy that we didn't get him anything. We offer him what's left, and he refuses and goes back to sleep. We go to bed around 11:30-midnight (the air conditioning made a noise.)
His phone alarm goes off at 1. After that, all hell breaks loose. He takes a shower and apparently decided his prop needs washed. This would be fine, except his prop is a metal toolbox that he banged around. A lot. We fall back asleep and wake up to go to the con later.
We go back to the room for lunch. when we get there, he is sitting in a bed, watching tv. Very obviously with no pants on (only saw his behind). My bff and I, being female and trying to be polite, excuse ourselves to get ice, "So that you can get dressed." We dawdle to give him plenty of time, but when we return, he hasn't moved. We ate our lunch with his naked self watching us.
He will not be staying with us again.

The other roomie was not as bad. He lost his key. By "lost", I mean "left behind in the morning". This is maybe 10 at night, My bff and I would be at the con until 1-ish. Rather than call either of us or my coworker to get a key, he goes to the front desk. They cancel our keys and give him a replacement. He isn't leaving for the rest of the night. So we had to hit the front desk at nearly 2 in the morning when we were exhausted. Not as horrible, and now that he has been instructed on what to do, he might be staying with us again this year.

#8 toujourspret

toujourspret

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:21 PM

I think the closest thing to a horror story that I've had in at least five years is stepping on apiece of glass last year and my roommates gave me lots of bandages because they're awesome like that. Before that, I think I was the problem, leaving at 7am every morning while my roommates were party animals!

Elizabeth Hawkins

2012/2013: Department Head - Maid Cafe ♥!

2001 - 2003: Attendee; 2006 - 2008: Gofer/TCG #617; 2009: Treasury Staff; 2010: Registration Staff; 2011: Registration Staff/all over the place!

#9 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

when we get there, he is sitting in a bed, watching tv. Very obviously with no pants on (only saw his behind). My bff and I, being female and trying to be polite, excuse ourselves to get ice, "So that you can get dressed." We dawdle to give him plenty of time, but when we return, he hasn't moved. We ate our lunch with his naked self watching us.

That is the best one i heard yet, a naked roommate staring at you eating :P

#10 cards344

cards344

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

We go back to the room for lunch. when we get there, he is sitting in a bed, watching tv. Very obviously with no pants on (only saw his behind). My bff and I, being female and trying to be polite, excuse ourselves to get ice, "So that you can get dressed." We dawdle to give him plenty of time, but when we return, he hasn't moved. We ate our lunch with his naked self watching us.

Thats kind of creepy.

#11 chatterchud13

chatterchud13

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

I had two photoshoots planned for 2011. I'm not naming them because they didn't go as planned. While I know nothing ever goes as planned, this was a whole new level of crazy I had to dea with. One of my shoots was a later evening shoot. Someome who used to do the photoshoot for this group wasn't happy with it and they caused ALOT of drama at the con and on various web boards. needless to say everyone backed out for that reason.
Onto the next photoshoot which was on saturday evening. a large part of the goup informed us (through a patsy no less) that they were at dinner and would be late to the shoot. fun fact: the not only failed to show up but left the state of MD entirely to go home. I was quite embaressed by that but after meeting a few last minute arrivals made the best of it and have a great group of friends that I can't wait to see this year.

outside of photoshoots I had alot of costume problems due to the heat and one of my costumes dissapeared altogethere between my house and the arrival at the hotel. but I don't blame Otakon for any of it. things happen and then you have stories to tell friends and new con-goers every year

#12 SonyTantoni

SonyTantoni

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

reading these makes me happy that i live 10 mins from the convention center if that, and dont have to deal too much with parking for the most part and having to worry about where everyone is and such. also can say i luckily havent had a horror story yet. (knock on wood)
FROM THE EAST COAST TO THE WEST COAST, GOTTA GOTTA GOTTA GO!

#13 mreynolds

mreynolds

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

My friends cheat and park at a light rail commuter parking lot (free), and take the rail right to the convention center (cheap). We did this, even when we lived in Baltimore, because it meant getting to the car with a lot less walking in the hot weather.

Michael Reynolds
Online Registration Lead

#14 ChaosFinaleX

ChaosFinaleX

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Although I was with my group of friends last year. I'm staying by myself this year. Much easier.

Otakon Attendee: 2008 and 2010
AUSA Attendee: 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009
Katsucon Attendee: 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2010

"Never give up on anything you do, because it's going to be worth it in the end."

#15 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:19 PM

The worst thing?

Having to wait in line for 25 minutes at California Tortilla. That was murder. I could smell the freshly cooked flour tortillas.

"I've been playing with Leah Clark's wenis all weekend"- Chris Rager

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
Otakon 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012
NekoCon 2010, 2011

Otakon 2014: The Emperor's Royal Guard, Return of the Jedi. (again)

#16 Jeremy

Jeremy

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

My friends cheat and park at a light rail commuter parking lot (free), and take the rail right to the convention center (cheap). We did this, even when we lived in Baltimore, because it meant getting to the car with a lot less walking in the hot weather.

I'm planning on doing the exact same thing... I'm going to book a hotel by BWI because they're cheaper, and park at North Linthicum, as the rail ticket is cheaper than parking. (Plus, as a car driver who usually takes the bus, I'd much rather have to plan around a public transit schedule than deal with downtown traffic.)
Peace and love (^_^)

#17 cards344

cards344

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:15 PM

The Orioles are going to be having home games that weekend, so parking is going to really suck, so the light rail mite be a good idea.

#18 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

The Orioles are going to be having home games that weekend, so parking is going to really suck, so the light rail mite be a good idea.

At least they're playing the Oakland A's. I remember back in '07 when the Yankees came to town on Otakon weekend. The crowds were horrible and you couldn't find a good parking spot anywhere.
Seeing the reactions of the Yankees fans who were bused in from New York was funny though.

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
NekoCon 2010, 2011

#19 Darthy Storms

Darthy Storms

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

The Orioles are a lousy team & attendance will be low for the games, so you should have no trouble finding a place to park.

Kat the Timelord!

#20 DeathJester

DeathJester

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

At least they're playing the Oakland A's. I remember back in '07 when the Yankees came to town on Otakon weekend. The crowds were horrible and you couldn't find a good parking spot anywhere.
Seeing the reactions of the Yankees fans who were bused in from New York was funny though.

One of my favorite Otakon '07 memories was seeing Alex Rodriguez signing some autographs a block away from the Thursday pre-reg line. If I didn't stand there like an idiot asking myself if that was really him, I could have gotten an autograph too. This is especially ironic since I have lived in the Bronx all my life and I have never ran into any Yankee players outside of a stadium.

#21 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

I'm planning on doing the exact same thing... I'm going to book a hotel by BWI because they're cheaper, and park at North Linthicum, as the rail ticket is cheaper than parking. (Plus, as a car driver who usually takes the bus, I'd much rather have to plan around a public transit schedule than deal with downtown traffic.)

Well if your going to get a hotel near BWI just have the hotel shuttle drop you off at BWI and catch the Light rail from there. The stop is all the wasy next to the International section of BWI.

#22 thebatthecatandthepenguin

thebatthecatandthepenguin

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

The Orioles are a lousy team & attendance will be low for the games, so you should have no trouble finding a place to park.

Actually I find Baltimorians just love the Orioles enough to take up a lot of parking regardless of how crappy their team is.

Otakon possibles:

Jolteon

Blastoise

Moka or Kurumu from Rosario + Vampire

Juri fromSuper Street Fighter

#23 cards344

cards344

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

Thursdays parking is going to be bad, because their is going to be a game at 12:30 pm, i myself am getting down their early to see the game before pre-reg opens, but if you show up after 5 or 6 the fans should have mostly left by then and their will be open parking. Friday and Saturday games arent until 7 pm, so parking wont be a problem in the morning or early afternoon. Sundays game is a 1:30 game, so show up early if you want parking.

#24 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Disciplinary Committee Chair

• Veteran Members
  • 2,641 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Getting back on the subject of horror stories....

It's Friday morning of Otakon 2009. It's my first year going since 2007 and I have 6 or 7 people on their way counting on me for a place to stay. I attempt to check in at the Holiday Inn with no joy; the guy at the front desk tells me my card is short. I call my bank and low and behold... my card is missing about $200. The charge is from the Hilton connected to the convention center, a reservation I knew I had canceled a day or two after I had made it since more rooms opened up at the Holiday Inn after I'd booked it. I print off my cancelation receipt and head over there, and of course since the reservation "wasn't technically made through their systems," they can't give me any sort of refund. I had some choice words for the folks at Passkey that day, and I'm pretty sure they're using the recording of that call to train people on how to handle an irate customer.

I end up paying for the room with most of the cash I had saved for stuff like food and the dealer's room and somehow made it through the weekend with $30 to my name. Luckily I had some fantastic roomies who bought me food here and there throughout the weekend. Despite everything that went wrong that year is probably still my second favorite. :3

gama2014_zps45cead10.jpg

Otakon 2012: Moar Hype | Otakon 2011: This Moment

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John Bachman, Member '07, '09-'12]

2014 Cosplay:

Ira Gamagori (Original Honnouji Academy 3-Star Uniform)

#25 resika

resika

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

worst things that happened last year (my first year too):
my best friend go sick on the ride there and i missed Patrick Seitz signing
then we did make it to his Q&A but she start to feel sick again and we had to leave in the middle
a butten on my cosplay fell off
i left my wallet and items i bought in the person who fixed it's room
stood in line for lost and found for 2 hours
then we got lost in the convention center (dont ask me how we thought we figured it out)
and some guy ask me if he could video tape my feet wiggling creeped me out man XD
kidnapping? I prefer surprise adoption >:-D
<3 <3 this year's otakon is going to be awesome! <3 <3
------>watch for me I'll be erza scarlet in her new heart cruz armor and other random cosplays I haven't decided yet ^^<-----

#26 Bigdumbhippy

Bigdumbhippy

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

the Orioles are quite good this year

#27 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

the Orioles are quite good this year

Yankees are back in first though :D sorry, off-topic....

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
NekoCon 2010, 2011

#28 Matsumoto Rangiku

Matsumoto Rangiku

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:47 AM

Well, I've only been to Otakon once, in 2010, and there was the fire alarm/evacuation incident... Even so, I considered that more to be an interesting change of events, and it didn't really ruin my convention or anything. I did however have a hard time concentrating on things and having fun because my aunt was in the hospital with cancer...We all thought she would get better, but she never did. She passed away a month after the convention and I have always felt really guilty about going, because those were the last couple of days that she was conscious. I bought her a cute plush of the bunny from Host Club, and a Baltimore Inner Harbor coffee mug, and she told me how much she loved them, but within three days she fell into a coma and never came out of it.

...Sorry. i just got really depressing. I hope I'll be able to enjoy myself more this year.

Edited by Matsumoto Rangiku, 20 July 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#29 youjik33

youjik33

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

The Orioles are doing a lot better than usual but their attendance still isn't that great. Still going to be more crowded than a typical Otakon, but not nearly as crowded as the Yankees year.

This year I'm going to be at the con while my brother's girlfriend's due date is upon us o.O Obviously I had no idea she was going to get pregnant with my nephew a year ago when the room was booked, but I'm going to be checking my texts religiously XD

Otakon 2013 Cosplay Plans (tentative):

Enjolras (Les Miserables - stage version -- OR IS THAT "ARM JOE" VERSION)

Tsuritama not-really-a-cosplay cosplay (Hemingway store employee apron, with incorrect hair to actually be Misaki this time)