Photo

What day do most people come to Otakon?

otakon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 DestroyingStars

DestroyingStars

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

My friend and I would like to know, because we're trying to plan out our cosplays~. I wasn't sure if there was already a topic on this, so delete it if necessary. c:

I heard that most people come on Saturdays, but I know sometimes most people come on Friday. . .

rinkagarnine @ tumblr

• i'm always online there, so if you need to reach me for some reason, send me an ask on there to get a quicker response

CONVENTIONS

• Otakon 2013 (money's tight this year, gotta cut back orz)

COSPLAY

• Kagamine Rin (I need a Len, if you know a Len like set me up with them or s/t.)
  • Ultimate Madoka (or Godoka, Kamidoka, etc. etc.)
  • Aisaka Taiga (this uniform)

I'm totally up to meeting with you / taking pictures or anything of the sort!! If we don't coordinate or anything, but you still want to keep an eye out for me or something, look below!!

FRIDAY: Look for an Ultimate Madoka cosplayer, about 4'11" (really short). I'll be wearing a Pikachu-plush backpack, and I'll be with a Kitana (Mortal Kombat) cosplayer! I'll also have a bow and arrow with me, if that helps~

SATURDAY: Look for a Kagamine Rin cosplayer with light-up headphones and the same backpack~ I'll be with my friend again, this time as Hatsune Miku!

#2 gamergirlx

gamergirlx

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Otakon's members usually attend all 3 days of the convention. And you'll see plenty hanging around the harbor on thursday afternoon and evening as well. As for cosplays, you'll see a lot more of the bigger and flashier costumes on saturday of the convention. But you'll see people in cosplay Thursday through Sunday of the con. A lot of people plan out their cosplays depending on when certain gatherings/photoshoots are. If you are looking for those, you'll find some posted here on this forum. But you'll find a lot more posted over on coscom.

gamergirlx_link_1.jpg

#3 The Eva Monkey

The Eva Monkey

Veteran Poster

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

The number of attendees that are actually on-site peaks sometime on Saturday. While everyone registers for the weekend, not everyone makes it each day of the event on account of work, travel, and other commitments. If you're looking to cosplay, Friday and Saturday are the days more people will get to see you in your costumes.

Aaron Clark

Otakon Vegas Panels Department Head | Otakon Panels Staff

Otakon 2010 Panels Department Head; 2009-2008 Panels Lieutenant; 2013-2011, 2007-2006 Panels Staff; Panelist since 2003; Attendee since 2000
Former Panelist:
Anime Boston, Katsucon, Tigercon, Anime USA, New York Comic Con, Tekkoshocon, Ohayocon, Anime Central, Nekocon, Anime Mid-Atlantic
Webmaster, Eva Monkey, an Evangelion Fan Website; Co-Founder, Co-Administrator Eva Geeks, an Evangelion Fan Community
Former Officer: UMBC Anime Society
| MAGFest Panels Staff | Former Tekkoshocon Panels Staff

#4 Ikano

Ikano

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

I normally aim to get there Thursday noon or a little before that....

But it's true...there is a tendency for people to get there on Saturday cuz
1) Probably a large handful of people can't get Friday off
2) The line to both get in the building and/or pick up your badge on Friday tends to be really really long. Example: Before I even started considering picking up my badge on Thursday night I would wait in line Friday morning (around 6 or 7am) to get badges and would STILL take me till noon to actually get into the building.

Granted...the bar-code scanning system has made the process faster but at the same time Otakon has gotten more popoular too....so *shrug*

#5 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Disciplinary Committee Chair

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

The optimal day to cosplay is usually Saturday. Friday it's just nice to walk around in normal clothes and get your bearings, especially if you're a first timer. I recommend checking the Otakon forum at http://cosplay.com to see if there's a photoshoot for the series from which you're cosplaying, and planning accordingly. Posted Image

gama2014_zps45cead10.jpg

Otakon 2012: Moar Hype | Otakon 2011: This Moment

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John Bachman, Member '07, '09-'12]

2014 Cosplay:

Ira Gamagori (Original Honnouji Academy 3-Star Uniform)

#6 totalanimefan

totalanimefan

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:04 AM

I go all 3 day, but if you are looking for a day to have the most people see you I would say Sat. I cosplay on Friday normally, but that's just cause I like to.
Counting down the days until Otakon~

#7 SuperiorSamaaX3

SuperiorSamaaX3

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

Normally i go all three days, cause there's always perks to each day. For Friday its a pretty calm and collect day, you're kinda there just to observe more than do. Its also good for planning and mapping where everything is. Saturday is the "it" day, because every 2 seconds you can't not see cosplay and the most random people ever. Normally people have a lot of energy and are way more lively on Saturday. And if you're an avid shopper (like i am...) then Sunday is your day for all of the deals at the Dealers room.

"YOU SIR! (MADAM)! CAKE OR DEATH?! X3"

*Mod Edit: Image removed for being to big: http://board.otakon....tion=boardrules

Cosplays 4 Otakon 20!!!!

Friday: ((maybe saturday too)) Genderbent Tia Halibel
Saturday: ((Maybe Friday if i do Tia Saturday)) Kazeshini
Sunday: Genderbent Yoko or Kneesocks

#8 GasparAKAShiggitay

GasparAKAShiggitay

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

I go all three days ( I give my work PLENTY of notice, and they can usually plan around it). I've gone 4 years now and I don't see myself stopping any time soon, even if I'll be in my 30s. xD. I go to see friends I can't see often, I go to see the awesome guests that come, I go to see Baltimore as a whole. I love Baltimore, and if i could I'd move there from boring old Boston where I live. lol.

I totally agree with the 'formula' mentioned above. On Saturday the cosplayers come out to play. lol. In the past 4 years out of all the cons I've gone to Otakon is THE con for cosplay display. Anime Boston and Anime Central have some good cosplay as well, but Otakon beats it in that respect hands DOWN.

I sadly haven't had much money the past few years for anything good from the Dealer Hall/Dealer's Room, but this coming year I plan on changing that! xD

#9 Fadamor

Fadamor

Posts too Much.... Waaaaaay too Much

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Heh, there were Gofers in cosplay for the Thursday morning orientation. It seemed to me if it was an Otakon day, it was a cosplay day. Posted Image

#10 Litwolf

Litwolf

Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

Friday and Saturday are the days I always cosplay. Sunday is homeward bound and only being at the convention for a few hours so there never seemed much point to me in dressing up (though I do have friends who cosplay Sunday as well as Friday and Saturday because they want to wear a different costume each day of the con). Of those two days, Saturday seems to be the day most people cosplay.
Otakons Attended: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013

Also an attendee of San Diego Comic Con, Dragon*Con, MAGfest, Katsucon, Philadelphia Comic Con, AwesomeCon, Annapolis Comic Con

Erin G
Gofer #1177 (2013)

#11 joecrouse

joecrouse

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:57 PM

Sunday Morning was DEAD (LIKE SUPER DEAD) till about 1100.

#12 Ikano

Ikano

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

Heh, there were Gofers in cosplay for the Thursday morning orientation. It seemed to me if it was an Otakon day, it was a cosplay day. Posted Image

It was either that or leave it with the hotel...and god knows where they throw it/ how they handle the stuff if they have to 'push stuff aside' to make space.

Funny thing was I had parts of 2 different costumes on during orientation.

EeChiann Shen

2003-2006 -- "regular" con attendee ||
2007 - 2014 -- Gofer #108
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 planned cosplay: Sanae Y (Suikoden 3)