Photo

Question about pre-reg for panelists?

Pre-reg Panels Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 dianalw

dianalw

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

This is a question aimed at Otakon Staff or experienced returning panelists.

Last year, I applied for a panel - my very first one - and was happily chosen. It was a massive learning experience, and I'm eager to come back with a much-improved version of the panel this year if at all possible. The awesome Staffers who worked with my group said that our high turnout meant we might be invited back as panelists for 2012, and they mentioned that there was some sort of process for that invitation. Unfortunately, I only vaguely remember what we discussed back then, so I can't remember what the process is (and even then, it may be changed this year, as I know last year had a lot of big changes too).

So my questions are:

Is there a process for Otakon Staffers to invite popular or niche panels back to the con, and if so, what is it?

Should I go ahead and pre-reg for 2012 (since no matter what, I am ALWAYS going to attend Otakon!!) or wait until panel applications open? If I remember correctly, last year there was a bit of confusion over getting my panelist ribbons since I had already pre-registered before applying for the panel.

Thanks in advance for any help! :) See you at Otakon 2012!

#2 SilverMiko

SilverMiko

young lady

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

I believe, and Bruce or Jim can chime in and correct me as needed, that you submit a panel application, same as last time, nothing extra.

Lauren Gallo

Otakon 2014 Virtual Info Desk Head
Otakon 2012-2013 Operations Division Head

Otakon 2011 Con Ops Dept Head
Otakorp 2011 Board of Directors- Recording Secretary
Otakon 2010 Con Ops Dept Head
Otakon 2006-2009 Exhibitions Staff
Otakon BBS moderator

#3 babroseker

babroseker

Otaku In Training

• Board Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

If you are a potential returning panelist (one who has succesfully run a panel at a previous) Otakon, you should NOT pre-register at this time.

The Otakon Panels Staff will sometimes directly contact panelists in advance to ask them to present for the coming year, but this more the exception than the rule. The standard process would be, once panels submissions open to submit your panel idea for this year, but on the form note that you are a returning panelist (there is a field for that). Returning panelists whose panels are selected for the current year receive pre-con comp memberships, as oppossed to first time Otakon Panelists who receive post-con reimbursements. There would still be plenty of time to pre-reg once we have made our Panels selections for Otakon 2012, in the event that your panel isn't chosen.

Our intention was for the opening of Panels Submissions to occur at the same time as the official opening of Pre-Reg, however we are still working on some technical enhancements to the submissions form process. We anticipate resolving them over the next several days, and will adjust the end of the submissions period to take into account this delay. Please keep an eye on the BBS and the website as the opening will be posted in both locations.

Bruce Broseker

Otakon 2014: Programming Staff

Otakon 2012-2013: Panels Co-Department Head
Otakon 2011: Panels Department Head & Internet Operations Staff
Otakon 2010: Gofer Ops Staff & Otakon 2009: Panels Lieutenant
Otakon 2008: Panels Staff & Otakon 2007: Gofer Ops Staff
Otakon 2005-2007: Panelist & Otakon 2001-2004: Member

#4 ebonythunder

ebonythunder

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:49 PM

I'm also quite interested in submitting for a panel. This will be my 4th Otakon and I'd love to contribute.

#5 Kilgamayan

Kilgamayan

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

If you are a potential returning panelist (one who has succesfully run a panel at a previous) Otakon, you should NOT pre-register at this time.

Shoot, I always forget Otakon does things this way and went ahead and pre-regged before finding this thread. Is there a way can cancel that pre-reg and go through the process normally?
Official Aya Shameimaru of New England
Otakon 2010: Co-Lead Panelist, Touhou Project
Otakon 2011: Lead Panelist, Touhou Project

#6 SilverMiko

SilverMiko

young lady

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

In housecleaning efforts, moving this topic to Otakon Q&A.

Lauren Gallo

Otakon 2014 Virtual Info Desk Head
Otakon 2012-2013 Operations Division Head

Otakon 2011 Con Ops Dept Head
Otakorp 2011 Board of Directors- Recording Secretary
Otakon 2010 Con Ops Dept Head
Otakon 2006-2009 Exhibitions Staff
Otakon BBS moderator

#7 GlitteringLoke

GlitteringLoke

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:13 AM

Shoot, I always forget Otakon does things this way and went ahead and pre-regged before finding this thread. Is there a way can cancel that pre-reg and go through the process normally?

I'm not an official person, so not an official answer: but generally if you've already pre-registered, and you do get a panel, usually you can be reimbursed after the convention.
Cosplay 2011: Kagetoki (Haruka3), Michiru (zombie loan), Milard/Mirald (Tales of Phantasia)
Cosplay 2012: Sarasa (Basara), Veigue - Carta style (Tales of Magic Carta/Rebirth), Michiru (Zombie Loan)

#8 babroseker

babroseker

Otaku In Training

• Board Moderator
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:50 AM

We don't really have a process in place to cancel a pre-reg. If you are a returning panelist who has a panel accepted again for this year's Otakon and you did pre-reg in advance, you'll just need to fill out a post-con reimbursement form in Panel Ops after your panel has run at con (the same process that is used for first time Otakon panelists). You'll then recieve your reibursement post-con.

Edited by babroseker, 26 February 2012 - 01:51 PM.
fixed typo

Bruce Broseker

Otakon 2014: Programming Staff

Otakon 2012-2013: Panels Co-Department Head
Otakon 2011: Panels Department Head & Internet Operations Staff
Otakon 2010: Gofer Ops Staff & Otakon 2009: Panels Lieutenant
Otakon 2008: Panels Staff & Otakon 2007: Gofer Ops Staff
Otakon 2005-2007: Panelist & Otakon 2001-2004: Member

#9 Kilgamayan

Kilgamayan

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

All right, that works. Thanks!
Official Aya Shameimaru of New England
Otakon 2010: Co-Lead Panelist, Touhou Project
Otakon 2011: Lead Panelist, Touhou Project

#10 Akari Usada

Akari Usada

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:52 PM

Is there any info for panel registration yet? I have a few ideas for panels I wanna do and would have a friend help me on the panels. I don't wanna miss out the window for the panel registration. :/

El. Psy. Congroo.

#11 dianalw

dianalw

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Thanks so much, babroseker! That's exactly the info I was looking for. Posted Image I'll hold off on pre-reg.

Another question: I'm going to have at least one other panelist sit on my panel with me, possibly two (our third presenter is still working out his schedule). Should they also wait to pre-reg?

Akari Usada, panel registration isn't open yet, but per babroseker it should be opening soon! As he/she mentioned, keep an eye out on the main Otakon website for the announcement. If I recall correctly, we had about a month to submit panel applications last year.

Edited by dianalw, 28 February 2012 - 01:44 PM.