Photo

Walking at night in Baltimore...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 bean93

bean93

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:40 PM

First off, this year's Otakon could possibly be the first time going for more than one day. If everything works out, a group of friends will be staying at the Tremont Friday night and Saturday night.

Now, one of the main reasons I wanted a hotel was to finally have a chance to go to the midnight Persona photoshoot that happens, usually Friday night.

And I am too much aware of the high crime rates of Baltimore city...

I've never seen or stayed at the Tremont, but according to Otakon's hotel site, it's about .4 miles away, 4-5 blocks.
Even if I were to walk to and from the hotel to the convention center at/after midnight WITH a buddy (or, hopefully) a group, would you yourself feel safe?

I'm really afraid I'll get jumped or something lol and I've never seen Baltimore's activity at nighttime, has anyone been out and about the convention center around that time, so maybe the streets won't be TOTALLY deserted? Perhaps the roads are properly lighted?

It would help me alot to quell these fears... thanks!

#2 YangWenli

YangWenli

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:41 PM

My friends and I have stayed at the Tremont plenty of times, and I think it's one of the better places to stay. Alot of great places to eat nearby, not to mention the hotel and rooms themselves. As far as the walk, we've never had any problems going back and forth to the Tremont at any time, or really any of the hotels in Baltimore for Otakon, for that matter.

It's a straight shot down to the con center from the Tremont, and it's all lit quite well, so I wouldn't worry about that. I don't think you have a great deal to worry about, really.

#3 KSweeley

KSweeley

Otakon Staff since 2010, Otakon Attendee since 2001.

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:03 PM

The general area surrounding the Baltimore Convention Center and the Hilton Baltimore Convention Center Hotel is relatively safe, there are constant police patrols and the entire downtown area is monitored by CCTV cameras that are monitored by the city police department who dispatches a unit to a specific area immediately if they see any sort of suspicious activity going on via the CCTV cameras.

The streets are well lit in the downtown area and during Otakon, there are people constantly walking around outside the convention center at night so if you don't feel safe walking alone, find a group of people who are going to your hotel and walk with them to the hotel.

Kun Sun Sweeley (KSweeley) | Otakorp, Inc. Voting Member 2010-14 | Otakon 2014 Staff - Exhibitions Divison - Art Show Department | Otakon 2013 Staff - Member Relations (formerly Member Services) Division - General Staff Department, Otakon 2011-2012 Staff - Programming Division - Otachan Department, Otakon 2010 Staff - Staff Relations Division - Staff Pool Department | (former Gofer 2004, TCG 2005-06, 2008, Tier 2: 2009 #403) | Otakon 2001-2013 Attendee | Chat with me on AIM: WeezingPok | Add Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ksweeley/ | Add Me As a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ksweeley

#4 ZGL

ZGL

this is spec ops, go ahead.

• Otakon Staff
  • 5,823 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Though the streets are usually deserted late at night (seriously, Baltimore feels like a ghost town after 9:30 or so most nights), there will be folks milling between BCC and hotels, especially on main streets like Charles, etc.

The Tremont is a staggeringly beautiful hotel, and worth the price IMHO. Walk with a buddy, use common sense when you're out and about (don't flash cash or fancy doodads, don't wear a particularly revealing or immobilizing costume), and you'll be fine, no matter what time of day :)

Meredith Davey || Access Control
Access Control 2nd 2013, Communications Captain 2011-2012

Board of Directors Member at Large 2009-2010, 2012
Programming Section Chief 2010
Assistant to the Programming Section Chief 2009
Panels Ninja Department Head 2007-2008

#5 YangWenli

YangWenli

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:15 PM

The only downside to the Tremont is the in-house restaurant, Tuggs, being ridicously expensive, even I think by Tremont standards. That having been said however, there is no one "twisting your arm," as it were, to eat there, and with the amount of restaurants in the area, you have your pick of eateries. That's really the only thing I remember being rough about the Tremont, and even that isn't that big of a deal.

#6 Micalas

Micalas

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

First off, this year's Otakon could possibly be the first time going for more than one day. If everything works out, a group of friends will be staying at the Tremont Friday night and Saturday night.

Now, one of the main reasons I wanted a hotel was to finally have a chance to go to the midnight Persona photoshoot that happens, usually Friday night.

And I am too much aware of the high crime rates of Baltimore city...

I've never seen or stayed at the Tremont, but according to Otakon's hotel site, it's about .4 miles away, 4-5 blocks.
Even if I were to walk to and from the hotel to the convention center at/after midnight WITH a buddy (or, hopefully) a group, would you yourself feel safe?

I'm really afraid I'll get jumped or something lol and I've never seen Baltimore's activity at nighttime, has anyone been out and about the convention center around that time, so maybe the streets won't be TOTALLY deserted? Perhaps the roads are properly lighted?

It would help me alot to quell these fears... thanks!

As the conductor of the local raep train, I'd like to welcome you to the city!

Seriously though, as long as you stay in well lit, populous areas, you'll be fine. The shopping/restaurant area of the inner harbor should be reasonably safe. Especially during Otakon because there always seems to be tons of us running around.

Also, you don't mess with hundreds of people with wooden swords. You'll get a splinter!

#7 bean93

bean93

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

All of you are amazing, thank you so much for your reply :D I feel much more confident and excited now! If only July would come sooner!! :)

#8 sarahstrangex

sarahstrangex

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Just want to chip in my 2 cents...

I stayed at the Tremont Plaza for my first Otakon. (2008) I wanted to go to the rave, but none of my roommates wanted to go so I went by myself. I met up with 2 other friends there. I insisted on walking back to the hotel by myself, but my friends wouldn't let me. We were followed back to the hotel by a group of 3-5 guys. Definitely not con-goers.

So yeah... just make sure you're walking with a group & you should be fine. :]

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." - Mel Brooks

Otakons attended: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

#9 FleetStreetNightmare

FleetStreetNightmare

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:54 AM

The main street around the con center and the streets where the large nice hotels are is pretty safe, however don't venture too far off from the main street with the con center and the main hotels. I went a few blocks away from my hotel last year (I think it was the Reniassance Harborplace something like that..hotel) and things got pretty sketchy fairly quickly.
I would just say to try and always walk with a friend or group of friends, or at least a group of con goers. And don't wear a revealing cosplay at night, might give off the wrong idea (my friend was cosplaying as Misa first year we went, and got quite a few people honking their horns at her.. no joke).
Need a Jack Sparrow impersonator? Feel free to contact me on Facebook

I'm Captain Jack Sparrow.... savvy?

ScreenShot2013-04-03at15132AM_zps72643d1

#10 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

Keep to the main roads, don't go down alleyways. All the hotels within walking distance, if you go back before 3 am, will have people walking up and down them. Do not go down the alleyways if you are not familiar with the city because you will get lost quickly and they usually lead into deserted secluded areas.
Looking for a room? We can find one for you.
https://docs.google....1o1ZUE6MQ#gid=0