Photo

I am happy about otakon 2012 but.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 yaoilover10

yaoilover10

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

This will be my 5th year going to otakon im happy but i find my happiness turning in to just doubts because i am starting to get less interested in watching newer anime and i think it was last year there wasnt as much openness to each other as years before and for some reason every year i go there is always drama going on inside of my group of friends and i am wondering should i go or not because i do love but i am just thinking about this so pleasetell me what your to this is opinion?
Image removed. See banner image requirements in the BBS guidelines.

#2 Adv1sor

Adv1sor

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Here's my suggestion.

Go this year, but volunteer some of your time as a gofer.

I did this a couple year's back and it was a great experience. Give's you a different perspective of the con.

#3 Micalas

Micalas

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

This will be my 5th year going to otakon im happy but i find my happiness turning in to just doubts because i am starting to get less interested in watching newer anime and i think it was last year there wasnt as much openness to each other as years before and for some reason every year i go there is always drama going on inside of my group of friends and i am wondering should i go or not because i do love but i am just thinking about this so pleasetell me what your to this is opinion?

I know what you mean. I've found that it's easy to revitalize your fandom if you just take some time and go to funimation's website and stream some anime. Look for new series that look interesting or find older series that you wanted to watch in the past but forgot about. I've found Future Diary and Welcome to the N.H.K. and since then I've opened a Hulu+ account and have a queue that will take me until Otakon to get through.

#4 Duelistbluerose

Duelistbluerose

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:56 PM

I dont watch new anime anymore because 90% of it is moe stuff. I tend to read a lot of manga, play games, and watch "older" 90s anime that I havent seen yet

#5 OtakonOtaku

OtakonOtaku

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Every one else covered the easy stuff... I'll be the one to say drop the friends with the drama. I can speak from experance that con drama can kill you feelings for a con. if they can't be civalized leave them out........
Gofer 1017 ( 2013) Vanessa

2014Cosplay line up

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Some vocaloid >_<;
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Casual Lolita
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

#6 Nash

Nash

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

i <3 moe stuff

( ¯ω¯·)

#7 Matsumoto Rangiku

Matsumoto Rangiku

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

Seconding the drop your friends idea..I dealt with that in the past and I eventually just got sick of it. I don't spend hundreds of dollars to go to a con so I can listen to drama llamas whine and bitch and try to make themselves the center of attention. I go to have fun, and I don't need anyone who is going to try and ruin that for me.

#8 legalesey

legalesey

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

I think I might disagree with everyone on this one, but I know where everyone's coming from. If you typically don't bring friends, bringing them might be a fun change of pace! That said, I'd bring people who have an idea of what they're getting into - it seems like one of the people in my group this year originally was making me and my husband feel like freaks for coming to Otakon. I hate the idea that I might be judged a lot this year when normally Otakon is a 'safe place' to be nerdy beyond belief.

#9 Kuripurin

Kuripurin

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

I can certainly understand your troubles! Sell the drama llamas and find new people to hang out with, perhaps even randoms!

There usually isn't any drama in my group with the exception of last year (bunch of rude people -____-) but I sometimes drift away from the group and do my own thing as well. Meet some new people, you know...have fun!!

Don't miss out on Otakon if you still enjoy it (even a little bit), its only once a year :3

Seizon Senryaku!

#10 vivids

vivids

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:48 PM

Ditch your friends if they're rude to you. I've spent a good chunk of going to Otakon being by myself, and you never know what kind of people you could meet. Everyone is super friendly (for the most part), and if you're alone waiting in line, they might just strike up a conversation with you! I've had it happen to me plenty of times.

I don't even watch anime any more - a stray series here or there, and that's it. I go for the atmosphere, the excitement, and just the overall sensation of being at Otakon. I dreamed of going for years before I actually could, and it's still just as wonderful to me as it was the first year I went.

#11 legalesey

legalesey

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

@vivids, I agree. I'm not as much into anime and manga as I used to be, but Otakon is just fun! Lots of people come who are part of fandoms that aren't anime and manga anyway, myself included (Adventure Time ftw~)

#12 Yuno

Yuno

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

I dont watch new anime anymore because 90% of it is moe stuff. I tend to read a lot of manga, play games, and watch "older" 90s anime that I havent seen yet

This. I don't watch anime for this reason at all. I am hoping this group I go with is drama llama free, and the others aren't rude about it.

2013 Cosplay

undecided

#13 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

This. I don't watch anime for this reason at all. I am hoping this group I go with is drama llama free, and the others aren't rude about it.

I like "moe" stuff, but I also like classic anime as well (and I do mean anime from the 1960s and beyond).
Danny Perales
Attended every Otakon since 1994

#14 misskitteh

misskitteh

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

the best time i EVER had at a convention was when i went with absolutely no one else. i was 100% alone when i arrived, when i left i had so many new friends that i still talk to and a new man to boot xD haha. ditch the drama, drama's only fun from afar.

also, i dont watch that much anime anymore because i don't think 99% of it is interesting anymore. but hey, i love the style of artwork, cosplay, games, movies so i wouldn't let that be a problem for you :P

#15 Mezi

Mezi

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Seconding the suggestion to try gofering. A few years ago I was at the same point, where I didn't want to go anymore because I wasn't in any popular fandoms and my friends had gotten into drama a few years running and the new shiny feeling had all worn off. I started gofering, and changed why I was going - it's not so much about spending the weekend goofing off anymore as it is just helping give back to the con. Even if you don't gofer, try just changing up what you attend for - if you go for the anime usually, try focusing on more panels or the Dance or the Alley or the Dealer's Room. There's a little bit of something for everyone, and plenty of room to switch up your usual routine and try to get something different out of it.
Sarah Mummert
Info Desk Staff 2014, Registration Staff 2011, 2013 (previously gofer #10868)

#16 ditoh1

ditoh1

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

If you don't want any drama, you're more than welcome to hang out with me :D

come over, Otakon is always fun!

#17 Ikano

Ikano

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

I shall chime in with the gofer option as well.
I first went to Otakon with "friends" but after 4 or 5 years they kind of ditched me with this whole "I'm not going to Otakon this year...OH WAIT I AM but I forgot to tell you" act.
You'll pretty much find new friends (or at least lots of nice friendly people) if you gofer and it does indeed give you another interesting perspective on the con.

I also want to comment that even if one has a waning interest in anime there is still things to do. Like if you're into video gaming you can hang out in the video game room or sometimes a few of the rooms show live-action [asian] movies that aren't necessarily anime-related....or just hanging around the fountain admiring cosplayers can be fun as well I think.....even lurking around the dealer's room could be fun too...some of the industry booths do giveaways and things like that at certain times throughout the weekend too.
Personally (if I had the time) I also think watching the LARP-ers is fun... I hear from other people that they can get really amusing sometimes...but alas I've never had a chance to check it out....
Aye, but in the end it's up to you...but don't let your enjoyment of the con be affected by "friend drama".

EeChiann Shen

2003-2006 -- "regular" con attendee ||
2007 - 2014 -- Gofer #108
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015 [tentative] cosplay: Sanae Y (Suikoden 3) and...?

#18 dunno001

dunno001

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

I guess I'll echo what's been said also- sign up to gofer! I can't lie in that I was starting to feel some burnout in 2009, and I'd been saying internally since 2007 I wanted to gofer. I took the opportunity to try something new, and I'm definitely revitalized! (Well, new on the Otakon front. I'd been staff for Shoujocon long ago.)

As for the drama friends, well... again, being a gofer may help with that. When the drama starts up, you can say that you have to go to a shift. (Whether it's true or not...) And as others have mentioned, you can meet more fans! (I kinda suck at it, but that's because I'm shy. I'm working on that.)
-dunno001, aka Steven Mitchell, gofer #106
-Attendee since 2005, gofer since 2010.
-Butterflies... inside my stomach... flying around... not happy...

#19 youjik33

youjik33

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:31 PM

90% of new anime is moe stuff? Huh. My current and recent watches are Durarara!!, Star Driver, Natsume Yuujinchou, and Fairy Tail, and none of those are "moe".

Seriously, if you feel like there's no good anime out, go to Hulu, Funimation, or Crunchyroll, and just start watching first episodes of things that look mildly interesting. There's SO many ways to watch stuff free and legally now, it's actually pretty awesome if you just want to try things.

I hear you about the friends though. Sadly, sometimes you just need to get new friends ^_^* I spent several Otakons almost by myself, since I was going with people I didn't know super well, but I still had a good time. Now I'm lucky enough to have made some new friends I love to go with.

Otakon 2013 Cosplay Plans (tentative):

Enjolras (Les Miserables - stage version -- OR IS THAT "ARM JOE" VERSION)

Tsuritama not-really-a-cosplay cosplay (Hemingway store employee apron, with incorrect hair to actually be Misaki this time)

#20 itachiromeep

itachiromeep

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

I hear you on the doubting, so try and get involved with gofering like lots of people said. If you're up for it apply to be a maid/butler.

Go to things you've never been before. I'm personally going to try to go to more horror flicks and more things outside of anime. Bring things to do when you get bored other than handhelds. Walk into random panels you don't hate.

About friends: I like telling this story to people who don't like going alone or are worried about drama. My first year I went with my best friend. And Saturday we left early because we couldn't decide on what to do together and she had no phone. Sunday I went alone and had a much better time going to random things instead of us both dragging each other to things we didn't care for. So ditch your friends if they make your con sour. What my group does now is do our own thing and only meet up to eat and go to things we all like. Makes us all happier.

B. Lomotey
Gofer # 1501
---------------

Possible Otakon 2014 Costumes/Outfits
Schoolgirl!Angelic Buster - Maplestory

#21 Verbannen

Verbannen

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

For the past few years, I kept thinking that that year would be the last one. Each year, the last Otakon. Then, while I didn't gofer, something happened - I was more open and met tons of really nice people. Are you going as any popular fandom that has a photoshoot? Are you going to go visit a photoshoot for pictures? Strike up a conversation with them, and maybe you and a few of those guys will end up hanging out most of the day so you can avoid the drama fiends in your room. Heck, I'm not even in my room unless I'm in costume change, maybe a snack, and of course to sleep and shower. Tell them how you feel and avoid them if they bother you. No use not going and having fun because of them.

I also don't watch most new anime. Some of it is just... no. I do watch some older stuff, play a lot of video games (but rarely enter the video game room for some reason), and just learn about new stuff to stream there. If someone is taking about a great new anime, you could always ask them politely about it, asking what its like, and heck, maybe they can give you a hidden gem or new favorite that isn't so moe.

I agree gofering would be good too, but if you don't want to do that, then I think you should do well if you avoid the crazy.

#22 MBlilithschild

MBlilithschild

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

I've mainly only been reading manga for pretty much the past year, the only animes i've seen were Highschool of the Dead and Kiddy Grade (but I've already seen this, i was making my friend watch this and i don't remember why because we never finished it) and I think I saw the trigun movie.... or that could have been last year I don't remember. I just find mangas more enjoyable. And I understand the friend craziness, something stupid seems to happen between my friends every year but I just go off with one of my other friends and they can sulk all they want, I'm not going to let them ruin my good time because they're pissed off about something or other (usually stupid too). And I feel like the cons are never as exciting as your first one, I think that's just a normal feeling, although for me I feel like people are cosplay less and less each year and I think that's sad, cause that's half the reason I go
IN A WORLD OF CHERRIOS BE A FRUIT LOOP!!!!!!!!!

#23 TadSanchez

TadSanchez

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

Every one else covered the easy stuff... I'll be the one to say drop the friends with the drama. I can speak from experance that con drama can kill you feelings for a con. if they can't be civalized leave them out........

Agreed!!! I have been to the last 3 Otakon's and I completely understand the whole drama thing. The first year of the last three I went up with a good friend and a couple of his friends. While we had a great time and it was the first Ota for me in quite some time there was definitely more Drama than I would have liked going on between the three of them that I kind of had to stand by and endure. Things went well after they all vented but I made mental notes the whole time. The second year I asked the same friend to come along and he brought his girlfriend this time. I also invited along a buddy of mine from my hometown. Things went better this go around but their was still some Drama but nowhere near as bad as the first year. Last year I was asked to work the Dealer's Room for another friend of mine and I agreed. Our group last year was larger even still. My friend and his gf, another couple, my hometown buddy and two other guys working the Dealer's Room at the same table. We had a blast but there were still the Drama hiccups every now and again but we did all sorts of stuff including 21+ meet ups and going out to eat at several eateries in the Baltimore area that we had plotted out from watching Food Network..... it was a blast!!!!! All that said this year I was kind of feeling the same way about the friends and the Drama so I decided to try something altogether new again. For starters I trimmed the size of the group way down! This year will be myself, my hometown buddy and my friend minus his gf (they aren't together anymore). We are all working the dealer's room and I have already planned all sorts of other stuff to do this year too. We are going to the Thursday Baltimore Orioles game in the afternoon then more newly discovered eateries and more meetups with all of the wonderful people we have met over the last three years. I guess what I am really trying to say is that you need to mix it up and try to plan activities for all of you to do. Live in the moment and know that Otakon is a great experience to begin with but with a little extra effort you can make it fantastic and unforgettable!!!!! My new goal from here on out for Ota is to try and top the previous year every year thereafter!!!!

Working the Dealer's Room!
Gas and food for 5 days: $250
Hotel room: $600
Getting to hang out with 3 of my best friends and thousands of the coolest most devoted people/fans of a genre for the weekend......
Priceless!!!!!!

Can't wait to see you all in Baltimore!!!! Otakon 2013 here we come!!!!

#24 Conahh

Conahh

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:01 PM

I wouldn't suggest straight up dropping your friends, but do spend a good amount of time on your own or with new people! My friends in particular get upset if I don't at least spend some time with them at cons. Ignoring a friend the whole con could just make drama in the long run. Find a few events you know everyone will enjoy and then lone wolf some of it :).
Also, you don't necessarily have to watch newer anime. There is enough anime out there that you shouldn't have a problem finding something you like. There are plenty of good choices on Hulu!

#25 djmaestro777

djmaestro777

Fresh Meat

• Otakon Gofers
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:21 AM

Ota 2012 will be my 10th time and for many of the years i have done gofering. those are the best experiences i have had so i highly recommend it for those who have not done it. otherwise my friends that stay with me are all independent of my plans. if we converge at an event that is fine but we always go our own ways which means we all get to do what we like best. just sitting in on Otaku Idol or in the Otacafe is a great diversion from everything going on. just keep smiling and showing your passion for Otaku culture and you will find friends all over the con.

David Henneforth
Gofer # 376 since '03

#26 Rick

Rick

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

I've never really had a major interest in anime, but I've always gone to meet people, meet up with friends I only get to see at cons, cosplay, hang around the artist's alley, and get some nice stuff. Sometimes I go to a panel or two if it really holds my interest, but most of the time that's what I do, and I'm perfectly happy.

Gofering sounds like it'd be a good idea, though that one's your call.

#27 Dian

Dian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

No offense, but it sounds like you may want to try going with a new group of friends, if possible. There's no point if there's always drama. If I was you, I'd go, because you're going to really regret it afterwards, I'm sure. I almost didn't go once, and now I realize how much I'd hate myself if I didn't. And hey, even if you haven't seen any new animes that catch your interest lately, just stick with the old ones that you already love until you do find a newer one you like.

Otakon 2013 cosplay?

A Pirate.. just a pirate.

On of these days, I'll be an actual character...

#28 Adv1sor

Adv1sor

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

One more pitch for being a Gofer.

It really does give you a different perspective on the con.

#29 Bigdumbhippy

Bigdumbhippy

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

go in a fursuit

#30 Jezbel_KCOC

Jezbel_KCOC

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

Personally (if I had the time) I also think watching the LARP-ers is fun... I hear from other people that they can get really amusing sometimes...but alas I've never had a chance to check it out....
Aye, but in the end it's up to you...but don't let your enjoyment of the con be affected by "friend drama".

This! Watching LARP can be fantastic at times. This will be my 8th year and I always go with my two best friends and a random amount of other people each year. The first year our one friend got us to try LARP.. we lasted all of 5 minutes. She loves it though as does it every year so we became spectators. We usually sit at the window across from the LARP room (except for when we're in the dealers room) and have her bring over people to act in front of us and such (and we like to see the character sheets). Its great fun as the more the LARP goes on the more plots get twisted and depending on who you're near you can get all kinds of info that the other LARPers don't know. On Sunday we then share with our friend all the stuff we learned that she never knew about... makes for some interesting conversations. Still you or anyone is welcome to come by and sit with us for awhile. We usually have some snacks to share and enjoy meeting the random masses! Posted Image

Otakon: '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13. '14

#31 dgcosplay

dgcosplay

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:24 AM

I would say if your friends are causing drama in your group dont go with them...otakon should be a drama free weekend...find others to hang with at the con...for me half of a good con experience is the people you hang with...different people bring different things to the table. ANd if the con itself is not supplying enough entertainment i would say think outside the box about events and things you can host to add to not only your experience but the experience of others as well.

I'm Barret Wallace #$@&^!

I am a photographer from Baltimore who shoots cosplay. If you would like to book a shoot please contact me at www.facebook.com/dgphotography2 . Sample photo in my sig and more on my page. Also created the DMV ANIME WATCHERS CLUB Our club holds a lot of events such as workshops, anime screening, laser tag, photo shoots, cosplay events, video game nights, happy hours, and much more in the Maryland, D.C., Virginia, and surrounding areas. if you would like to join visit us here http://www.facebook....<!--NoParse1-->

1013223_604566479624385_603470814_n.jpg

#32 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

Yeah I agree. I'm excited about Otakon but now that I'm older, I don't get as excited as I used to. I've found the crowd is getting younger and younger (addressed on a forum topic last year) and the anime that I grew up on is becoming more and more "Classic" while the newer mainstream stuff takes up most of the fandom. Even my cosplay this year is non-Anime related for the first time.

"OoOoOOo  shiny! .....I'm sorry what was your question?"- Kyle Hebert 

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
Otakon 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012
NekoCon 2010, 2011, 2014. 

NekoCon 2014: The Emperor's Royal Guard, Return of the Jedi. 

#33 MisterSniper

MisterSniper

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

To be honest, I dont even watch anime or plau games like I used to.....i love going to Otakon becaise I love the environment. The people, the cosplay, hell even the air! Takes me out of the norm and grind of reality for a weekend...

#34 Dreaming Magpie

Dreaming Magpie

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

I am going through the same thing this year. I am usually SO excited about Otakon that it is just about the only thing I talk about the months of June and July.

But this year I am just not on "Otakon mode" yet. To remedy this, I decided to concentrate on watching new anime and getting caught up on my manga reading before the con in order to pump up my excitement and hopefully switch my "Otakon Mode" to "on".

Otakon 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2014! - and now prepared for Otakon 2015.

Missed Otakon 2013 for a good reason, we got married!

-Magpie

#35 Arsene Lupin Sansei

Arsene Lupin Sansei

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:35 PM

This! Watching LARP can be fantastic at times. This will be my 8th year and I always go with my two best friends and a random amount of other people each year. The first year our one friend got us to try LARP.. we lasted all of 5 minutes. She loves it though as does it every year so we became spectators. We usually sit at the window across from the LARP room (except for when we're in the dealers room) and have her bring over people to act in front of us and such (and we like to see the character sheets). Its great fun as the more the LARP goes on the more plots get twisted and depending on who you're near you can get all kinds of info that the other LARPers don't know. On Sunday we then share with our friend all the stuff we learned that she never knew about... makes for some interesting conversations. Still you or anyone is welcome to come by and sit with us for awhile. We usually have some snacks to share and enjoy meeting the random masses! Posted Image

. You can do that in-character at the LARP, too. Part of the fun is hooking up with the right characters during the LARP. Last year, the Ohran Host Club managed to get nearly every good-looking guy on their team, by the time the Sunday 12 climax occurred. I've been planning my actions this year since right after the LARP. I promise not to be too predictable.
:-J

#36 SeishiN

SeishiN

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:03 PM

I don't really watch Anime or anything like that anymore, the only reason I am thinking about going is because I love the Inner Harbor and all the people that I meet while I am down there, interaction with all the awesome people that go there is the highlight of my weekend.
Posted Image

#37 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Disciplinary Committee Chair

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

Same as above, I'm not necessarily on the ball when it comes to new anime and culture and all that.. I just love the gathering of all things nerdy that is Otakon, and I love the Inner Harbor. I'm more a fan of Otakon itself than I am of actual anime and Japanese culture! :P

gama2014_zps45cead10.jpg

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John B., Member '07, '09-'12, '14]

Fanvideos:  2014 | 2012 | 2011

#38 Fadamor

Fadamor

This title space for rent! Reasonable rates! Ask within.

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:30 AM

I mostly read manga, but there's usually at least ONE anime out that also catches my interest. Currently, the one that has caught my interest is "Nazo no Kanojo X" (Mysterious Girlfriend) I'm not sure if that one qualifies as "moe". To me, "moe" is something like "Dog Days".

Edited by Fadamor, 15 June 2012 - 07:31 AM.

#39 lydiakate98

lydiakate98

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:36 AM

To be honest, I dont even watch anime or plau games like I used to.....i love going to Otakon becaise I love the environment. The people, the cosplay, hell even the air! Takes me out of the norm and grind of reality for a weekend...

This! I sill love anime and manga, though my taste runs older than some people. But for one weekend I can relax and people watch. Which is half the reason I gofer, since I end up guarding places with awesome views for cosplay. I also just walk into random video rooms and see what's playing. When my youngest brother used to come with me we would check out the classic anime on Sundays. I was able to introduce him to El Hazard and Captain Tylor this way. Now I check out rooms all weekend. I discovered Kamen Rider V3 this way last year, which includes my favorite villain, Scissors Jaguar. I laughed about him for a month after con was over.

Lydia Meeks
Otakon Attendee since 1999
gofer 2010 (#145), 2011 (#127), 2012 (#127), 2013 (#127)
Staff Member, The Nook 2014