Photo

NOTICE: Outside Events

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 CocoFaerie

CocoFaerie

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:29 PM

This is a notice for Otakon goers: As many of you local goers know the O's are hosting the A's during the weekend, but just announced today is the return of the World Football Challenge July 28 at the next-door M&T Bank Stadium, and it's going to be a good one--Tottenham versus Liverpool! Please be extra careful around town then, and for more click the rinku below.

http://www.wbaltv.co...841/detail.html

CocoFaerie's "To Buy" list: Fairy Tail (FT), Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (NDA) Blu-Ray, Accel World (AW), Super Robot Wars OG (SRW)

I'll see y'all again in August hons!

#2 Sassadri

Sassadri

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Parking is going to be a nightmare. Once you find a spot, it would be a good idea to walk for the rest of the weekend. It also means that people only coming for one day should plan accordingly.
Posted Image

Otakon 2005-2012

#3 Yuno

Yuno

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Ah man. D; It's gonna be hella packed and crazy. Ugh, and drunks are going to be out and about late at night and such too.

2013 Cosplay

undecided

#4 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:59 PM

Well the Spurs-Liverpool game won't be an issue neither will the O's game most of these folks will steer clear on the BCCC when they see us running around that is what happen a few years ago.

#5 Matsumoto Rangiku

Matsumoto Rangiku

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:34 PM

Well the Spurs-Liverpool game won't be an issue neither will the O's game most of these folks will steer clear on the BCCC when they see us running around that is what happen a few years ago.

I wouldn't count on that. Everyone should always keep their wits about them - sporting events attract a lot of people who are going to be drinking alcohol and everyone knows you don't exactly think at your clearest when you're intoxicated. Stay in groups , don't hassle people and remember to have fun!

#6 TnAdct1

TnAdct1

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:24 PM

One things for sure: with these sporting events going on, it does guarantee the return of the "Ice Cold Water" guy. Posted Image
Joseph Klemm
Maryland/DC Con Vet since 2001.

#7 Darthy Storms

Darthy Storms

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

I hope that for safety's sake female attendees travel in groups as there will be alot of horny drunks lurking around the Convention Center & Inner Harbour because of the two sporting events.

Kat the Timelord!

#8 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

Hmmm so I guess someof you don't understand EPL Games which this will be consider a Freindly the fans that go to this game aren't that bad plus I look at the Spurs Summer List and while they have it listed as playing Liverpool they haven't given a date yet for it.

#9 Kagamine Kotarou

Kagamine Kotarou

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

This is sure going to be an interesting first Otakon.

Facebook, @InugamiKotarou, Tumblr

Current Otakon 2013 Cosplay Plans:

Gaul Gallete des Rois (DOG DAYS)

Tsukiyomi Ikuto [Seven Seas Treasure ver.] (Shugo Chara!)

Kagamine Len [Aa, Subarashiki Nyansei or Poker Face or Love Is War or default]

Naoe Riki [Girls School Uniform ver.] (Little Busters!)

Genis Sage (Tales of Symphonia)

Itsuka Kotori (Date A Live) [Crossplay]

Banner500110.jpg

#10 gamergirlx

gamergirlx

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

Besides the additional crowds and heckling by rowdy, possibly innebriated, sportsfans, it also means that most of the restaurants will be busy and there will be extended waits to be seated.

gamergirlx_link_1.jpg

#11 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Parking is going to be a nightmare. Once you find a spot, it would be a good idea to walk for the rest of the weekend. It also means that people only coming for one day should plan accordingly.

I was thinking about driving down, again. But because of this, I may have to resume taking the train, instead.
Danny Perales
Attended every Otakon since 1994

#12 Duelistbluerose

Duelistbluerose

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

One things for sure: with these sporting events going on, it does guarantee the return of the "Ice Cold Water" guy. Posted Image

Oh he shall be there in all his greasy, loud glory

#13 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:15 PM

I hope that for safety's sake female attendees travel in groups as there will be alot of horny drunks lurking around the Convention Center & Inner Harbour because of the two sporting events.

Oh yes the male attendees should travel in groups too, because there will be a lot of female horny drunks looking for those innocent poor bishies too! OH NOOOOOOES

Edited by evaunit01berserk, 01 April 2012 - 09:16 PM.

Looking for a room? We can find one for you.
https://docs.google....1o1ZUE6MQ#gid=0

#14 Micalas

Micalas

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Ah man. D; It's gonna be hella packed and crazy. Ugh, and drunks are going to be out and about late at night and such too.

Some of the drunks are hilarious though. Back in 2006 (I think) I came dressed as Roy Mustang. I was waiting outside of the convention center at like 1AM when a group of them ran over yelling, "Yo, this guy looks cool! We gotta get a picture man." So I struck up a pose and now someone, somewhere has a picture they probably don't remember snapping with a guy in a costume.

Also, your forum name; Gasai Yuno? :D

Edited by Micalas, 02 April 2012 - 12:08 PM.

#15 youjik33

youjik33

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

Ugh, why does everyone get all "OMG SPORTS FANS ARE CRAZY DRUNKS WATCH OUT!!!!"? This happened when the Orioles played the Yankees a few years ago, and you know what actually happened at the convention? I got asked by a lot more random people what was going on at the BCC. That was it. "Sports fans" are not some mysterious other race of beings. I go to multiple baseball games a year myself and I'm sure I'm not the only Otakon attendee that does so. Yes, parking, food and hotels are going to be more crowded, but seriously, you shouldn't EVER walk around downtown Baltimore by yourself anyway -- that's just big-city common sense. The only time anyone in my group has ever been harassed by a drunk was one time back in like 2002 when there weren't any sports events going on at all.

Otakon 2013 Cosplay Plans (tentative):

Enjolras (Les Miserables - stage version -- OR IS THAT "ARM JOE" VERSION)

Tsuritama not-really-a-cosplay cosplay (Hemingway store employee apron, with incorrect hair to actually be Misaki this time)

#16 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Ugh, why does everyone get all "OMG SPORTS FANS ARE CRAZY DRUNKS WATCH OUT!!!!"? This happened when the Orioles played the Yankees a few years ago, and you know what actually happened at the convention? I got asked by a lot more random people what was going on at the BCC. That was it. "Sports fans" are not some mysterious other race of beings. I go to multiple baseball games a year myself and I'm sure I'm not the only Otakon attendee that does so. Yes, parking, food and hotels are going to be more crowded, but seriously, you shouldn't EVER walk around downtown Baltimore by yourself anyway -- that's just big-city common sense. The only time anyone in my group has ever been harassed by a drunk was one time back in like 2002 when there weren't any sports events going on at all.

Because they like to exaggerate to feel more important.

#17 Verbannen

Verbannen

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

For me personally, I've never encountered more rude people around the convention center than the year they played. Plenty of drunk sports fans (definitely drunk, definitely went to the games) who tried to harass females dressed up. I've never had a problem with Baltimore in some really crazy costumes, expect then. Had plenty of rude sports fan who insulted us to our faces. I don't know other people and their reasoning, but it sure left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by Verbannen, 03 April 2012 - 11:47 PM.

#18 Darthy Storms

Darthy Storms

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

For me personally, I've never encountered more rude people around the convention center than the year they played. Plenty of drunk sports fans (definitely drunk, definitely went to the games) who tried to harass females dressed up. I've never had a problem with Baltimore in some really crazy costumes, expect then. Had plenty of rude sports fan who insulted us to our faces. I don't know other people and their reasoning, but it sure left a bad taste in my mouth.

Travel with a group of people when walking to & from your hotel or anywhere else downtown. Better to be safe than sorry. Those who downplay it or treat this like a joke won't find it so funny if they or their friends get harrassed or assulted.

Kat the Timelord!

#19 Sassadri

Sassadri

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

Travel with a group of people when walking to & from your hotel or anywhere else downtown. Better to be safe than sorry. Those who downplay it or treat this like a joke won't find it so funny if they or their friends get harrassed or assulted.

I don't believe that anyone is downplaying staying safe in the city. it is common sense to stay in groups when walking around outside of the convention center. The point is that as long as you plan ahead, you will find it easier to enjoy your weekend. When out on the street you should stay alert, stay in a group, and don't let people on the street get too close to you or your friends. The sports fans are not the worst people that we have had to deal with over the years. For the most part, they are there to have fun too. Wherever you find large groups you will find people willing to prey upon them. Best to be safe than sorry.
Posted Image

Otakon 2005-2012

#20 JBFire

JBFire

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

I don't believe that anyone is downplaying staying safe in the city. it is common sense to stay in groups when walking around outside of the convention center. The point is that as long as you plan ahead, you will find it easier to enjoy your weekend. When out on the street you should stay alert, stay in a group, and don't let people on the street get too close to you or your friends. The sports fans are not the worst people that we have had to deal with over the years. For the most part, they are there to have fun too. Wherever you find large groups you will find people willing to prey upon them. Best to be safe than sorry.

I think it goes without saying as normal travel through Baltimore ESPECIALLY at night, to stay in groups and try to keep to lit areas. Baltimore has some pretty unsavory characters that lurk around, even in the inner harbor, late at night (around when Otakon closes for the night) that don't just disappear when Otakon time of the year rolls around.

In defense of our local baseball fans though, I will say that they are some of the friendliest I've ever encountered. They (and the visiting teams) have generally expressed more curiosity than hostility when it comes to our costumes and fanfare going on. I'm not sure about local football fans (the european oriented ones, not the Ravens). I don't think we'll particularly get any football ruffians causing any trouble, but definitely be on your guard in costume, especially flamboyent ones.

As others have mentioned, these events happening behooves you to find a single place to park and walk around for the weekend (unless you are coming back and forth from a nearby town obviously). Also, be prepared that the inner harbor restaurants are going to be overwhelmed with not only baseball fans, football fans, our own con-goers but the normal heavy amount of summer-time tourists that come specifically for the events/museums/aquarium that are featured at the inner harbor. Do NOT languish and wait too long to get something to eat, otherwise you might miss your chance.

#21 ErinErin

ErinErin

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

This. Otakon attracts just as many drunks at night - heck I'm usually one of them!

I think in the past people had issues when the Yankees were in town because NY is close enough for a lot of those fans to travel down to B-more for the weekend, filling up the hotels and restaurants/bars. With the A's in town, there probably won't be as many out of town fans. As for the football event, who knows?

Regardless, Inner Harbor is always crowded around Otakon time so plan accordingly.
Loyal Otakon Attendee since 2001...

#22 Verbannen

Verbannen

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

Definitely this. There are plenty of nice fans, but not only can there be the bad fans I dealt with, but with B-more being more crowded in the Inner Harbor, the more chance for trouble. Still, always travel in groups, especially with people who look like they can hold their own, if you can. Keep a good hold of your merch and money and whatnot. I noticed a drastic difference even from one year to another (not taking into account the sports issue) of my own experiences. Through self defense and close quarters combat training, my confidence rose and my ability to sense my surroundings grew. But you don't need to learn to fight, just fake your ability to not look like a nervous tourist. I travel with one other person too. If you don't look like prey and travel with others who remain confident (if you aren't, fake it), no one bothers you, period. Now of course don't try to fight people, but what I'm trying to say is to keep with others, look confident, and know your surroundings, and you should be fine, drunk sports fans or no.

Edited by Verbannen, 04 April 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#23 MBlilithschild

MBlilithschild

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:01 PM

Yahhh for hotel parking and the car staying there all weekend!!! And just to point out my friend told me she got hit on by a drunk guy last year waiting for her boyfriend and it made her uncomfortable and scared, so at anytime, especially at night you should be with someone, and rude people are everywhere all the time, a games not going to change that.
IN A WORLD OF CHERRIOS BE A FRUIT LOOP!!!!!!!!!

#24 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. I tend to be able to handle normal social situations and not hide in a hole when a normal sporting event is going on. It's called the real world.

To be brutally honest, I have more trouble with drunk ass convention attendees that can't hold their liquor or know how to behave outside of mommy and daddies house then I do with sports fans. Yeah you get some hooting and hollering, yeah you get drunk guys that will hit on women...and some men, hell you get drunk women that will hit on guys AND women! But every freaking year there is a sporting event, people act like this will be a rape fest and the wolves are set free in baltimore.

Just use the freaking same common sense that you would like any other damn time. It is no different then if there wasen't a sports event going on. The only things you have to worry about are hotel, parking and food because the sheer number of bodies that are going to be downtown. Those are going to be your major issues. Safety? Go search the safety tips thread that has been posted, re-hashed and reposted like 10 times on this board

Edited by evaunit01berserk, 04 April 2012 - 10:03 PM.

#25 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Fly Away, Now.

• Veteran Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:20 PM

Shhhh, shshsh. You'll be alright, Rich. Just take a deep breath. :D

panty-and-stocking-4.jpg

Otakon 2012: Moar Hype | Otakon 2011: This Moment

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John Bachman, Member '07, '09-'12]

#26 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

To be brutally honest, I have more trouble with drunk ass convention attendees that can't hold their liquor or know how to behave outside of mommy and daddies house then I do with sports fans.

This ^^

Honestly, I never had any problems with "sport-fans" (at least, not yet), for all the years that I've attended Otakon. I run into vagrants once in a long while, but I've ALWAYS seem to run into rude con attendees at just about anywhere.
Danny Perales
Attended every Otakon since 1994

#27 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

Shhhh, shshsh. You'll be alright, Rich. Just take a deep breath. Posted Image

everyday i'm flipping tables

#28 Duelistbluerose

Duelistbluerose

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Oh, I'm sorry. I tend to be able to handle normal social situations and not hide in a hole when a normal sporting event is going on. It's called the real world.

To be brutally honest, I have more trouble with drunk ass convention attendees that can't hold their liquor or know how to behave outside of mommy and daddies house then I do with sports fans. Yeah you get some hooting and hollering, yeah you get drunk guys that will hit on women...and some men, hell you get drunk women that will hit on guys AND women! But every freaking year there is a sporting event, people act like this will be a rape fest and the wolves are set free in baltimore.

^^ All of this.

Every single Otakon I've encountered rude tourists, drunks, hobos, general crazy people, hookers, flirty creepy men - all while with a group - and you probably will too. None of which should tarnished your convention experience. This is just part of the urban city experience. Honestly, walking with friends in a costume at night isn't going to shield you from night time crazies. The yearly warning threads about who to avoid is getting old because there is nothing we can do about this. If by horrible luck you encounter a situation were you feel threatened physically there's always 911 and/or your martial arts skills.

Edited by Duelistbluerose, 06 April 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#29 jkid

jkid

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

This is going to be real interesting... Now the last time there was a sporting event in 2009 (World Football Challenge 2009) I expected all sorts of things, but that never occurred due to the lower than expected turn out.

However with a Baseball game, I'm definitely going to witness the insanity that will happen.

#30 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

Okay folks first off I'm not sure about the date and location for the Spurs-Liverpool game considering both teams website have them playing in DC at said time. Next it's the O's and they are playing the A's if they get any fans to actually show up it it will be a mircle. So please everyone stop running around crying wolf.

#31 youjik33

youjik33

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:19 AM

Yeah, the game a few years ago was really busy because they were playing the Yankees, but the Orioles have been pretty bad for a number of years now so their attendance isn't normally terribly high ^_^*

(as a Detroit Tigers fan, I can't help but feel for the loyal fans during a team's rock-bottom years, haha.)

Otakon 2013 Cosplay Plans (tentative):

Enjolras (Les Miserables - stage version -- OR IS THAT "ARM JOE" VERSION)

Tsuritama not-really-a-cosplay cosplay (Hemingway store employee apron, with incorrect hair to actually be Misaki this time)

#32 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

As a devoted New York Yankees fan, some sports fans ARE another species lol. When the Yanks came in '06, several NY fans asked me what was going on. They told me they felt "safer" asking me since although I had on a badge, I was currently wearing a Hideki Matsui jersey :P Any large number of drunks in the inner harbor are going to heckle the con-goers, it's just a simple fact. It's just that game attendees may be a little more vociferous in their misunderstandings of what Otakon is. I mean come on, a bunch of scantily clad girls and dudes with spikey giant hair is bound to get some funny looks.

"I've been playing with Leah Clark's wenis all weekend"- Chris Rager

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
Otakon 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012
NekoCon 2010, 2011

Otakon 2014: The Emperor's Royal Guard, Return of the Jedi. (again)

#33 CocoFaerie

CocoFaerie

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

To KyoKyo: Yeppur, I do remember well the last time the Empire came to town during the Otakon, and that wasn't much fun.

To JKid: The last time the World Football Challenge took Baltimore in '09 (my favorite Otakon BTW) it turned in over 71,000, and that was for CHELSEA vs. AC MILAN. It didn't seem like a big deal for us Otakon goers concerning those football fans, at least to me, and actually I expect similar sentiment for 2012. Just be fortunate we didn't have to deal much with Manchester United & Barcelona last year because that friendly was played down the 95 at the FedEx Field.

Every single Otakon I've encountered rude tourists, drunks, hobos, general crazy people, hookers, flirty creepy men - all while with a group - and you probably will too. None of which should tarnished your convention experience. This is just part of the urban city experience. Honestly, walking with friends in a costume at night isn't going to shield you from night time crazies. The yearly warning threads about who to avoid is getting old because there is nothing we can do about this. If by horrible luck you encounter a situation were you feel threatened physically there's always 911 and/or your martial arts skills.

To DuelistBlueRose: Well true that girl! Anyway, while we're at it, has anyone had a bad experience involving any of the vendors around town (And no, I do not want any mention of that one particular man who sells bottled water, and you know who I'm talking about)?

CocoFaerie's "To Buy" list: Fairy Tail (FT), Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (NDA) Blu-Ray, Accel World (AW), Super Robot Wars OG (SRW)

I'll see y'all again in August hons!

#34 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

(And no, I do not want any mention of that one particular man who sells bottled water, and you know who I'm talking about)?

We do not speak of him, he is legend!

#35 Aresef

Aresef

Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

I just realized the soccer match was the same day like just now. Downtown will be a zoo all weekend.

The good news: Orioles are playing on Thursday, giving congoers easy, cheap, classic entertainment.

Side question: What of the Matsuri this year?

#36 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,604 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

We actually *have* had several issues with drunken sports fans harrassing our members, causing damage to hotels, frightening folks, and so forth. And drunken football (not soccer) fans attempted to force their way into the BCC during my year as Chair.

But those incidents are relatively rare and often exaggerated.

The bigger impact will be that you're essentially trading access to cheap, decent game day food stands and increased police presence for a HUGE increase in foot traffic outside the BCC and a major pain for anyone looking for parking. Even a *poorly* attended Orioles game draws about as many people as Otakon does, and the Yankees pretty much guarantee a full house -- nearly *twice* our size. Add in the employees and support staff and vendors and you've got probably 60,000 people in the Stadium area, plus another 35k associated with our event, all trying to move around in the same handful of city blocks.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#37 Schtanza

Schtanza

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

We actually *have* had several issues with drunken sports fans harrassing our members, causing damage to hotels, frightening folks, and so forth. And drunken football (not soccer) fans attempted to force their way into the BCC during my year as Chair.

But those incidents are relatively rare and often exaggerated.

The bigger impact will be that you're essentially trading access to cheap, decent game day food stands and increased police presence for a HUGE increase in foot traffic outside the BCC and a major pain for anyone looking for parking. Even a *poorly* attended Orioles game draws about as many people as Otakon does, and the Yankees pretty much guarantee a full house -- nearly *twice* our size. Add in the employees and support staff and vendors and you've got probably 60,000 people in the Stadium area, plus another 35k associated with our event, all trying to move around in the same handful of city blocks.

If I were staff, I would be more worried about a particular groups yearly prank than I would some drunk sports fan. Was not a fan of being banished into the streets for several hours in 2010.

Otakon 2010 - New Congoer
Otakon 2011 - Veteran Status Obtained
Otakon 2012 - Still going strong.

Otakon Vegas 2014 - Pending.

#38 Adv1sor

Adv1sor

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

With regards to safety,

I attended a game con in Indiana a few years back and they had placed small signs in the main loby of the convention center where people could gather to walk back to some of the main hotels together at night.

The idea being that you could just wait by the sign with your hotel's name until a few others joined and walk back as a group. Safety in numbers sort of thing.

Not that I saw any problems at that con nor have I seen any at Otakon, but it wouldn't hurt to help people group up at night.