Photo

Maid Cafe

Maid Cafe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#51 noiretta

noiretta

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

We're still working through the applications (there were a lot of really excited people, which just makes us more excited!). If you haven't heard from us by the 21st, drop me a line and I'll take a look.

Applicants who've been chosen for further interviews should hear from Maid Cafe staff by the 18th, at the latest. Uniforms will be something that's discussed at the first cast meeting, but I promise we're going to try to give our performers plenty of time to find what they need.

As for location, etc., as soon as we're ready to share that info, we'll make sure it's out there. Please be a little patient with us as we get everything together; we don't want to make any hasty announcements that we'll have to take back later!

Are we supposed to know by the 18th or the 21st? Thanks.

#52 leanbean

leanbean

Fresh Meat

• Otakon Gofers
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

I was wondering how many people have applied to be maids or butlers? I know i'm really excited about this event and I hope that I can be a part of it! Posted Image It's so suspenseful waiting for the 18th or 21st ^_^

#53 noiretta

noiretta

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

I was wondering how many people have applied to be maids or butlers? I know i'm really excited about this event and I hope that I can be a part of it! Posted Image It's so suspenseful waiting for the 18th or 21st Posted Image

I think there were lots of maids applications but I hope I also can be a part of it also! <3 Good luck to youuu~

#54 toujourspret

toujourspret

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Due to some unfortunate personal issues, we're running just a smidge behind in the selections; there are still a lot of e-mails to be sent out, but we're shooting for a final selection on either the 18th or 19th. Give us a few days after to get e-mails out to everyone, but if you haven't heard anything by the 21st, feel free to let me know. We've had over 80 applicants in just shy of two weeks, so it's taking a little bit to make sure that every application is processed and considered!

Elizabeth Hawkins

2012/2013: Department Head - Maid Cafe ♥!

2001 - 2003: Attendee; 2006 - 2008: Gofer/TCG #617; 2009: Treasury Staff; 2010: Registration Staff; 2011: Registration Staff/all over the place!

#55 noiretta

noiretta

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Due to some unfortunate personal issues, we're running just a smidge behind in the selections; there are still a lot of e-mails to be sent out, but we're shooting for a final selection on either the 18th or 19th. Give us a few days after to get e-mails out to everyone, but if you haven't heard anything by the 21st, feel free to let me know. We've had over 80 applicants in just shy of two weeks, so it's taking a little bit to make sure that every application is processed and considered!

Thanks for letting us know and good luck with the apps! (*・゜゚・*:.。..。.:*・'(*゚▽゚*)'・*:.。. .。.:*・゜゚・* just got my reply back so I am so excited!)
Do you have any idea as to how many butlers and maids will be chosen for the 3 days of Otakon?

#56 peachjars

peachjars

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

Will we still get an email regardless if we were chosen or not? 3:

#57 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

I really hope this cafe is not why costs have gone up this year.

Costs went up this year because costs went up in real life. Gas, airfare, lodging, and labor have all gone up, and the money has to come from somewhere. We typically eat costs and shave budgets (and argue a LOT internally) before we raise the rates, and then all of us voting members have to pay the difference as well. The reasons have been explained to death in this very forum, and of course the actual reasons have been ignored and crazy accusations have been made all over the web by people who don't know what the heck they're talking about.

When they went up in 2006, I was accused of lining my pockets with the cash. (Please, I was chair that year, and it cost me thousands of dollars out of my own pocket to volunteer 40+ hours per week. At least I had a deduction on my taxes!)

No, what happened was that someone finally put together a viable working plan for running a maid cafe, addressed all the concerns I (and others) had about it, and did the grunt work to get things running. And because of that, I am now doing what I can to find a way to make it workable in terms of the "cafe" part. We are tryiing to get some addiitional space in the Hilton, where it'll be a bit easier, but if that doesn't pan out, we have a back-up plan. Again, bear with us as we figure out how to make it work for our unique situation (huge con, difficult-to-manage catering contract restrictions), but we're hoping to make it awesome.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#58 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Well, it gave some people something they wanted and is worrying the rest of us who don't care about a maid cafe and don't want it taking up space that could be given to stuff we DO want... Posted Image*

As we've already reassured you, it's NOT bumping any existing programming. That was one of the concerns *I* raised when we looked at all of programming this year. In fact, we are looking to add some space, if we can get it; if not we have already made a few layout changes that will open up space to hold the Maid Cafe. We compressed some function space that was used by staff last year, and moved a few things around -- and hopefully we'll be able to make that all work. If not, at least we tried!

You are, however, right that we will have to have extremely limited seating as there really aren't any medium (by our standards) rooms available. It is very likely that demand will outstrip supply by a fair amount, but until we've got a handle on it, that's a risk we have to take. If it's huge success, that's great, and we'll find some way to expand it next year.

So we're doing what we do: we start out fairly small and make sure the concept will work, and then we expand it as much as possible using available resources. We did the same thing with last year's Matsuri, and going back a ways, when we first started holding concerts.

Jim Vowles

Previously:

#59 leanbean

leanbean

Fresh Meat

• Otakon Gofers
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for all your hard work!! ^
As for the email notifications I have the same question as peachjars Posted Image

#60 Ichigogami

Ichigogami

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

You'll find out by the 21st right?

Edited by Ichigogami, 19 April 2012 - 08:42 PM.

Cosplayer and Jane of all trades.

#61 youjik33

youjik33

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the reassurance, Alabaster. I do feel less worried about it now.

Otakon 2013 Cosplay Plans (tentative):

Enjolras (Les Miserables - stage version -- OR IS THAT "ARM JOE" VERSION)

Tsuritama not-really-a-cosplay cosplay (Hemingway store employee apron, with incorrect hair to actually be Misaki this time)

#62 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

I will never understand why people -- every single year -- work themselves into a tizzy, imagine all sorts of crazy stuff, attribute ridiculous motives, and jump to conclusions that make zero sense. You'd think I would get used to it by now. :)

Jim Vowles

Previously:

#63 youjik33

youjik33

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

= / I don't think I was doing that. I was just concerned.

Otakon 2013 Cosplay Plans (tentative):

Enjolras (Les Miserables - stage version -- OR IS THAT "ARM JOE" VERSION)

Tsuritama not-really-a-cosplay cosplay (Hemingway store employee apron, with incorrect hair to actually be Misaki this time)

#64 NOTanOTAKU

NOTanOTAKU

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

Wow, a maid cafe! I've never been to a maid cafe before, so I'm excited to see what it will be like.

#65 ChibiMoon

ChibiMoon

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

When can we expect more details about the Cafe? I mean I didn't apply to be a maid or anything, Im just really curious about the Cafe and would like to know how the Cafe actually works and what not cause I've never been to one.
Attended Otakon 2010, 2011, 2012.

#66 Otaku4ever

Otaku4ever

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

I think this is a great idea and plan on stopping by to check it out. I really hope this goes off without a hitch. Good luck and have fun to everyone who was selected :-)

#67 Adv1sor

Adv1sor

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

I will never understand why people -- every single year -- work themselves into a tizzy, imagine all sorts of crazy stuff, attribute ridiculous motives, and jump to conclusions that make zero sense. You'd think I would get used to it by now. Posted Image

What else would we do with our time while waiting for Otakon :)

My sincere thanks to you and the other staff for working so hard to bring us so much fun.