Photo

Steampunk cosplays! :D

steampunk cosplay unusual

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#1 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

So this year for Otakon, I decided I would, instead of cosplaying as an anime/video game character, that I'd just go all-out Steampunk for one day, if not the whole weekend. So, I decided to see if there was anybody going to Otakon who'd join me! The outfits are pretty outrageous (I know they get my full attention), so I think it'd be a lot of fun! If anybody is interested or likes the idea, please comment or message me :D

For those of you who are unfamiliar, the basic concept is that it is a style that incorporates Victorian style outfits with accessories that focus on steam technology. It's a pretty bad description, so if anybody is confused, you can look it up on wikipedia or find some good images on google :)
-"I'm making perfect sense, you're just not keeping up."
The Doctor

#2 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:09 PM

Wow NOBODY else is thinking of doing this? That's kinda sad, I was hoping to find people with the same interest :(

But on the OTHER hand, more attention for me so not a total loss :D
The Doctor

#3 Duelistbluerose

Duelistbluerose

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

There will definitely be steampunk at Otakon, dont worry! Have you tried checking the cosplay.com forums?

Im actually working on a steampunk version of Harely Quinn. I got inspired by seeing a steampunk Joker last otakon and thought he looked amazing.

#4 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:59 PM

There will definitely be steampunk at Otakon, dont worry! Have you tried checking the cosplay.com forums?

Im actually working on a steampunk version of Harely Quinn. I got inspired by seeing a steampunk Joker last otakon and thought he looked amazing.

Ha that sounds awesome :D Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to check it out too.
The Doctor

#5 Elysium

Elysium

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I'll be bringing something steampunk along. I haven't quite decided the whole outfit yet, but I'll have one.

#6 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I'll be bringing something steampunk along. I haven't quite decided the whole outfit yet, but I'll have one.

Isn't Steampunk awesome like that? You can basically put anything together and it looks awesome! I wanna do something with a Steampunk waistcoat, but they're soooooooo expensive!
The Doctor

#7 Elysium

Elysium

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Isn't Steampunk awesome like that? You can basically put anything together and it looks awesome! I wanna do something with a Steampunk waistcoat, but they're soooooooo expensive!

But not too terribly difficult to make. Or at least I didn't have too terrible of a time putting one together for a friend.

And yeah, that is the nice thing - it will be easy to put something together. I'm just trying to figure in the heat factor of the con.

#8 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

But not too terribly difficult to make. Or at least I didn't have too terrible of a time putting one together for a friend.

And yeah, that is the nice thing - it will be easy to put something together. I'm just trying to figure in the heat factor of the con.

Oooh you mind showing me pictures of the kinda stuff you make? And yeah I hear ya on the heat. I'm lookin into this black tailcoat... oi I'm gonna die >.< buuut it's worth it
The Doctor

#9 dgcosplay

dgcosplay

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

i wanna do a steampunk cosplay...i actually started making the props...the costume is the tough part tho

I'm Barret Wallace #$@&^!

I am a photographer from Baltimore who shoots cosplay. If you would like to book a shoot please contact me at www.facebook.com/dgphotography2 . Sample photo in my sig and more on my page. Also created the DMV ANIME WATCHERS CLUB Our club holds a lot of events such as workshops, anime screening, laser tag, photo shoots, cosplay events, video game nights, happy hours, and much more in the Maryland, D.C., Virginia, and surrounding areas. if you would like to join visit us here http://www.facebook....<!--NoParse1-->

1013223_604566479624385_603470814_n.jpg

#10 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:26 PM

i wanna do a steampunk cosplay...i actually started making the props...the costume is the tough part tho

O what kinda props are ya doin? And yeah I know what you mean. I would make some stuff but I don't have the skill. Therefore I'm buying my costume xD
The Doctor

#11 thebatthecatandthepenguin

thebatthecatandthepenguin

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

My friend and I are doing Steampunk pokemon. We did Steampunk Vaporeon and Jolteon for Anime Boston, so we're hoping to fine tune them more for Otakon. :DDD
We'd also really love a Steampunk Flareon to join us Posted Image

Otakon possibles:

Jolteon

Blastoise

Moka or Kurumu from Rosario + Vampire

Juri fromSuper Street Fighter

#12 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

My friend and I are doing Steampunk pokemon. We did Steampunk Vaporeon and Jolteon for Anime Boston, so we're hoping to fine tune them more for Otakon. :DDD

Holy crap that's awesome! I have to meet you guys :D
The Doctor

#13 thebatthecatandthepenguin

thebatthecatandthepenguin

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

Holy crap that's awesome! I have to meet you guys Posted Image

Well, she's pretty blue, and I'm pretty yellow, so as far as steampunk outfits go we're hard to miss :D

Otakon possibles:

Jolteon

Blastoise

Moka or Kurumu from Rosario + Vampire

Juri fromSuper Street Fighter

#14 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

That's awesome! So how are you guys steampunk pokemon? what kinda stuff did you do with your outfits?
The Doctor

#15 Elysium

Elysium

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Oooh you mind showing me pictures of the kinda stuff you make? And yeah I hear ya on the heat. I'm lookin into this black tailcoat... oi I'm gonna die >.< buuut it's worth it

You know, I don't really have any decent photos of my steampunk stuff, at least not yet. I have to wait until after the first weekend of May to get my dress form back from a friend to get some.

I think I'm going to be doing some based on a wind-up dancer / doll. I've always wanted to do something like that... and I think I can make a somewhat heat-friendly costume.

#16 legalesey

legalesey

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

You know, I don't really have any decent photos of my steampunk stuff, at least not yet. I have to wait until after the first weekend of May to get my dress form back from a friend to get some.

I think I'm going to be doing some based on a wind-up dancer / doll. I've always wanted to do something like that... and I think I can make a somewhat heat-friendly costume.

I'm so curious about what all of you guys want to try/are making, you should link to some photos! (Steampunk looks hella cool, but I'm intimidated - because it looks so complicated, for one, and because it's always so damn hot at Otakon ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ )

#17 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

FYI, we always have a large Steampunk Gathering at Otakon I'll get some more info this weekend (May 18-20) is World Steampunk Fair. Allot of folks that go to that go to Otakon I will once again be doing something Steampunk most likely a Highlander.

Edited by Scorpion89, 12 May 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#18 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm so curious about what all of you guys want to try/are making, you should link to some photos! (Steampunk looks hella cool, but I'm intimidated - because it looks so complicated, for one, and because it's always so damn hot at Otakon ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ )

You shouldn't be intimidated! It's not that hard really. A lot of sites and places sell steampunk merchandise, like goggles, accessories, etc., and you can get like Voctorian style clothing from some vintage clothing stores or websites. If you want some links I'd be more than happy to help :)
The Doctor

#19 legalesey

legalesey

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:22 AM

You shouldn't be intimidated! It's not that hard really. A lot of sites and places sell steampunk merchandise, like goggles, accessories, etc., and you can get like Voctorian style clothing from some vintage clothing stores or websites. If you want some links I'd be more than happy to help Posted Image

Thank you! I did recently bookmark an armor tutorial that I was planning to try out that looks like it might translate for steampunk work, for anyone who's curious:

http://captaincrapst...process-on-foam

Do you guys make everything yourselves, or are your costumes a hodge-podge of everything that works?

#20 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

You shouldn't be intimidated! It's not that hard really. A lot of sites and places sell steampunk merchandise, like goggles, accessories, etc., and you can get like Voctorian style clothing from some vintage clothing stores or websites. If you want some links I'd be more than happy to help Posted Image

Thank you! I did recently bookmark an armor tutorial that I was planning to try out that looks like it might translate for steampunk work, for anyone who's curious:

http://captaincrapst...process-on-foam

Do you guys make everything yourselves, or are your costumes a hodge-podge of everything that works?

I'm a bit of a modge-podge lmao I don't quite have the artistic flare. but I don't get everything from like steampunk sites
The Doctor

#21 theKialish

theKialish

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hey! Just joined the board and wanted to reply to this last night but they had to do that review thingy ugh. Any whoo! Im planning on Steampunking it up for my first Otakon this year <3! I wish I had more money to buy fancy stuff or to be able to do more fancy stuff. Im looking into a cheap little corset, offwhite blouse and have a few watches and clocks to disassemble for the cogs~ When I went to Ohayocon in January I spent 100$ on a pair of goggles and a gas mask though so I got that out of the way lol :D

#22 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hey! Just joined the board and wanted to reply to this last night but they had to do that review thingy ugh. Any whoo! Im planning on Steampunking it up for my first Otakon this year <3! I wish I had more money to buy fancy stuff or to be able to do more fancy stuff. Im looking into a cheap little corset, offwhite blouse and have a few watches and clocks to disassemble for the cogs~ When I went to Ohayocon in January I spent 100$ on a pair of goggles and a gas mask though so I got that out of the way lol Posted Image

That sounds awesome! I like the gas mask idea a lot!
The Doctor

#23 Irvette232

Irvette232

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

Planning on doing something steampunk for Friday Posted Image Well... sort of lol I love that i can just swap accessories, a different coat, and blouse with my renaissance faire garb. Versitle costume FTW. I'll be getting a new corset this year, but unfortunately it wont be till after the con. Mine's seen some miles.

#24 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Planning on doing something steampunk for Friday Posted Image Well... sort of lol I love that i can just swap accessories, a different coat, and blouse with my renaissance faire garb. Versitle costume FTW. I'll be getting a new corset this year, but unfortunately it wont be till after the con. Mine's seen some miles.

Sounds awesome! I wouldn't worry much about the corset, though. If you ask me, a little wear and tear appearence gives the cosplay a rough look, which I think goes better with steampunk than the brand new look. know what I mean?
The Doctor

#25 lilseba2002

lilseba2002

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:51 AM

Me and my sister and her boyfriend are steampunking as a group so we are looking forward to seeing more steampunkers.

#26 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:03 PM

Awesome :D
The Doctor

#27 Autumn_Steam

Autumn_Steam

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

I've gone in steampunk attire for the past 3 years. There is a very large steampunk community at Otakon and we always schedule photoshoots, usually on Saturday. The group keeps growing every year! I remember when there were only a handful of us, and last year we had over 50 people at our photoshoot!

This year one of my costumes will be a steampunk rendition of Medusa. I'll be bringing my whip (cuz every steampunk Medusa uses a whip, duh :P) and hope to do an impromptu performance if we can find somewhere safe outside :) I have some friends who are doing other greek gods/goddesses in steampunk garb. I look forward to seeing you there!

#28 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

I've gone in steampunk attire for the past 3 years. There is a very large steampunk community at Otakon and we always schedule photoshoots, usually on Saturday. The group keeps growing every year! I remember when there were only a handful of us, and last year we had over 50 people at our photoshoot!

This year one of my costumes will be a steampunk rendition of Medusa. I'll be bringing my whip (cuz every steampunk Medusa uses a whip, duh :P) and hope to do an impromptu performance if we can find somewhere safe outside :) I have some friends who are doing other greek gods/goddesses in steampunk garb. I look forward to seeing you there!

Same! :D
The Doctor

#29 lilseba2002

lilseba2002

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:54 PM

This year one of my costumes will be a steampunk rendition of Medusa. I'll be bringing my whip (cuz every steampunk Medusa uses a whip, duh Posted Image) and hope to do an impromptu performance if we can find somewhere safe outside Posted Image I have some friends who are doing other greek gods/goddesses in steampunk garb. I look forward to seeing you there!

that's awesome i didn't even know that there was a steampunk photo shoot last year hopely there's one this year.

#30 sketchyraptor

sketchyraptor

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

I am making my own steampunk outfit specifically for Otakon. I was glas when I saw this thread because I was scared I would be alone. I have never made a costume of any type before so I'm nervous that I'll mess up. Is there such thing as messing a steampunk outfit up? I am hoping mine is up to par with the amazing ones I see online.

#31 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

I am making my own steampunk outfit specifically for Otakon. I was glas when I saw this thread because I was scared I would be alone. I have never made a costume of any type before so I'm nervous that I'll mess up. Is there such thing as messing a steampunk outfit up? I am hoping mine is up to par with the amazing ones I see online.

Oh no not at all! If you ask me, a non-specific cosplay like steampunk is the hardest sort of thing to mess up. Whether it's simple or complex, the idea is that it's creative and made of your ideas, and for the most part (unless you order a full costume from the steampunk emporium or something like that) your costume is unique, original. So there is no real way to do steampunk "wrong", unless you do things that aren't steampunk style, which is hard to do because the style is so distinctive. Just go with what you like :D
The Doctor

#32 sketchyraptor

sketchyraptor

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

Oh no not at all! If you ask me, a non-specific cosplay like steampunk is the hardest sort of thing to mess up. Whether it's simple or complex, the idea is that it's creative and made of your ideas, and for the most part (unless you order a full costume from the steampunk emporium or something like that) your costume is unique, original. So there is no real way to do steampunk "wrong", unless you do things that aren't steampunk style, which is hard to do because the style is so distinctive. Just go with what you like Posted Image

Can a steampunk outfit be only black and white or must it have rust, bronze, and brown colors mixed in? I have brown jodhpurs, but everything else in my outfit is black or white.

I am getting so excited for this convention that making my outift is all I can think of!

#33 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

Mmm it doesn't really go with the typical outfit color scheme, but who know! Maybe post pictures? It could end up being more along the lines of Cyberpunk
The Doctor

#34 tatercosplay65

tatercosplay65

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hello! I am new to the forums and this is my first time at Otakon!!! X3 Would it be too late to suggest a steampunk photoshoot/gathering? >.<

#35 sketchyraptor

sketchyraptor

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hello! I am new to the forums and this is my first time at Otakon!!! X3 Would it be too late to suggest a steampunk photoshoot/gathering? >.<

I would go to it if you made one.

#36 tatercosplay65

tatercosplay65

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

i would love to I just don't know where we would do it. One place that would look cool is the big pirate looking ship that is in the inner harbor. that would make a pretty good back drop.