Photo

Doctor Who cosplay?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

So last year, a couple of people and I organized a Doctor Who photo shoot, and we were happily surprised by how many people did Doctor Who cosplays and came to the shoot! So, I'm curious, who plans on doing a Doctor Who cosplay this year? Would you be interested in attending another shoot? If there's another shoot this year, I want to work on getting the pictures up where people can see and share them, as I didn't get to see the ones from last year. I may not do a Doctor Who cosplay this year though, as much as I love the Tenth Doctor :/ I'm considering doing a Steampunk cosplay
-"I'm making perfect sense, you're just not keeping up."
The Doctor

#2 MizukioftheMist

MizukioftheMist

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Yessss!

This is my second year going to Otakon, and I wanted to go as a Lolita!TARDIS or a Lolita!Dalek, though I'm leaning more towards the Tardis ^.^

Going to a Doctor Who photoshoot and meeting other Whovians sounds SO fun, especially since I don't know any where I live :'(

But yes, this sounds fun ^_^

#3 Darthy Storms

Darthy Storms

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

If I do make it to Otakon this year, I will attend as the Doctor.

Kat the Timelord!

#4 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Yessss!

This is my second year going to Otakon, and I wanted to go as a Lolita!TARDIS or a Lolita!Dalek, though I'm leaning more towards the Tardis ^.^

Going to a Doctor Who photoshoot and meeting other Whovians sounds SO fun, especially since I don't know any where I live :'(

But yes, this sounds fun Posted Image

Yeah I know what you mean, there are oh so few Whovians in my area as well :/ But the TARDIS cosplay sounds awesome! There were maybe 2 TARDIS cosplayers last year, and they turned out pretty good, so I can't wait to see

If I do make it to Otakon this year, I will attend as the Doctor.

Which Doctor? :D
The Doctor

#5 MizukioftheMist

MizukioftheMist

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Ahaha, let's just hope that it looks good XD
Cause I'm trying to sew it myself, and I have no idea how to sew @.@
But hopefully the sewing tutorials that I'm finding online will help me, and my mother, who does know how to sew ^.^
It would be awesome to have as many Doctors, companions and TARDIS's in one place as possible. That pic would look great :D

#6 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Ahaha, let's just hope that it looks good XD
Cause I'm trying to sew it myself, and I have no idea how to sew @.@
But hopefully the sewing tutorials that I'm finding online will help me, and my mother, who does know how to sew ^.^
It would be awesome to have as many Doctors, companions and TARDIS's in one place as possible. That pic would look great Posted Image

Oh I'm sure it will be! So long as it's recognizable, I think it's a success :3 but yeah the photo shoot last year had all that. 10th and 11th Doctors were probably the most popular, and then some earlier Doctor, but I can't remember who. Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of Doctor Who in its early days :/
The Doctor

#7 MizukioftheMist

MizukioftheMist

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thanks, it's nice to get some encouragement :D everyone just shakes their head when I tell them what I want to do

Even though I haven't watched any Old Who, I can appreciate it and I love when I see Old Who cosplayers, which is why I had a total fangasm when I saw a 4th doctor cosplayer with a life-like Dalek and K9. Gahhh, I was so happy **_**
But it'a weird, cause I saw so few Doctor Who cosplayers last year; I only saw three 11th Doctors. This made me so sad :(
Though I was happy that I had a great Who conversation with a really nice 11th cosplayer ^.^
How many Whovians would you estimate were at the Photo shoot?

#8 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

Thanks, it's nice to get some encouragement Posted Image everyone just shakes their head when I tell them what I want to do

Even though I haven't watched any Old Who, I can appreciate it and I love when I see Old Who cosplayers, which is why I had a total fangasm when I saw a 4th doctor cosplayer with a life-like Dalek and K9. Gahhh, I was so happy **_**
But it'a weird, cause I saw so few Doctor Who cosplayers last year; I only saw three 11th Doctors. This made me so sad Posted Image
Though I was happy that I had a great Who conversation with a really nice 11th cosplayer ^.^
How many Whovians would you estimate were at the Photo shoot?

Geez how many? It was impossible to tell! We were in that one entrance that doesn't have the fountain, and TONS of DW cosplayers showed up, as well as a ton of people taking pictures. It was epic. We saw tons of people cosplaying as DW elsewhere at the convention, too. It was soo epic. And I remember the Dalek and k-9! they were AMAZING!

And I think it's awesome that you're doing what you like! Personally I dislike it when people lecture you and say you should stick to ASIAN culture >.< Heck there was Doctor Who merchandise in the dealer's room! If they don't follow it, we certainly don't have to.
The Doctor

#9 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

I just really hope that there's another photo shoot this year :D
The Doctor

#10 infinitemonkey

infinitemonkey

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:26 PM

Yessss!

But yes, this sounds fun Posted Image

I actually finished a lolita Doctor Who outfit this past week for Anime Boston. It's neat that there's at least one more person out there attempting the same =). Just another reason to love Otakon.

#11 graelyn

graelyn

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

Yes, there will be more Doctor Who goodness this year. There will be Friday and Saturday photoshoots. Friday's location and time is still up for discussion. We have two on Saturday. Saturday morning, we will meet around 9 am and take a bus to the Baltimore police box. The one on Saturday night will be around 6 pm. Rob wants to attempt outdoors again since it will possibly be cooler than the fountains at 3 last year. Sorry about that, guys. I wasn't expecting the killer heat wave.

There were five TARDIS cosplayers last year that I know of. At least five that showed up to the shoots. ;)

Also, here are some pictures from last year's Who shoots (I didn't get that many from the Saturday shoot because people were being misinformed of the time at the con.):

DA (They'll be in the cosplay folder starting on page 5.): http://graelyn-chan.deviantart.com/
Cosplay.com: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/214621/
Facebook: https://www.facebook....8832864&type=3
Otakon '12 cosplays:
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)
Applejack (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
Derpy Hooves (MLP: FiM)

#12 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Yes, there will be more Doctor Who goodness this year. There will be Friday and Saturday photoshoots. Friday's location and time is still up for discussion. We have two on Saturday. Saturday morning, we will meet around 9 am and take a bus to the Baltimore police box. The one on Saturday night will be around 6 pm. Rob wants to attempt outdoors again since it will possibly be cooler than the fountains at 3 last year. Sorry about that, guys. I wasn't expecting the killer heat wave.

There were five TARDIS cosplayers last year that I know of. At least five that showed up to the shoots. Posted Image

Also, here are some pictures from last year's Who shoots (I didn't get that many from the Saturday shoot because people were being misinformed of the time at the con.):

DA (They'll be in the cosplay folder starting on page 5.): http://graelyn-chan.deviantart.com/
Cosplay.com: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/214621/
Facebook: https://www.facebook....8832864&type=3

Wait wait, a bus? To another part of Baltimore? I know I can't do that, and I know other people won't be able to do that... That's cool and all but I think I'm gonna try and start another shoot of my own if I go as the Tenth Doctor. It was really confusing last year about when and where, and I think the one my friends and I had set up kind of got taken over by the other... So I'm just trying to set up a more organized one.
The Doctor

#13 graelyn

graelyn

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

Wait wait, a bus? To another part of Baltimore? I know I can't do that, and I know other people won't be able to do that... That's cool and all but I think I'm gonna try and start another shoot of my own if I go as the Tenth Doctor. It was really confusing last year about when and where, and I think the one my friends and I had set up kind of got taken over by the other... So I'm just trying to set up a more organized one.

Yes, the police box photoshoot is just something fun if you would like to join. It was a spur of the moment thing last year. You don't have to attend that one as we do have two other photoshoots around the convention center on Friday and Saturday. I'm not sure if I'm even going to attend that one. It depends on what the people I'm with want to do. I mean it sounded like a fun idea when we were sitting around hyped up on free Monster drinks.

I've been setting up the Who gatherings since 2010. The photoshoot on Friday last year, although huge, went off with very few problems. The Saturday one was a bit of a mess, I'll admit that. It was supposed to be at the outdoor fountains at 3:30. But, people were going around telling people the wrong time, and then, we got that sweltering heat. I sent everyone inside while a few others and I waited outside for stragglers. We made it in by the time the photoshoot was originally supposed to start, but by then, the photoshoot was over. :/ Gatherings are always going to have a few kinks. Especially if there is a large number of people attending. This gathering is open to suggestions, which is why I have the majority agree on time and location.
Otakon '12 cosplays:
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)

#14 graelyn

graelyn

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Also...

http://www.cosplay.c...ad.php?t=254481

Here's the list of people so far that we know of:

Doctors:
2nd Doctor: Vash
9th Doctor: megatron992, Arvina's fiancé
10th Doctor: maxaxe, Terrasolo, JacqueHarper, Shardin2
11th Doctor: N1NJ4GL4R3

Companions:
Rose Tyler: screamedwhisper, Arvina
Amy Pond: OsakiNana87, Elycium, screamedwhisper, StrawberrySiren
Jack Harkness: JackHarkness
Donna Noble: crownedclown16, OsakiNana87
Martha Jones: Rellychan13

Villains:
Harold Saxon: Vash
Dalek (dress): FlamePrincess
Simm Master: JacqueHarper
Weeping Angel: JacqueHarper
Delgado Master: Scorpion89
Silent: BardicFire

Side Characters:
UNIT soldier: Scorpion89
Sybelline priestess: Elycium
Otakon '12 cosplays:
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)

#15 KSweeley

KSweeley

Otakon Staff since 2010, Otakon Attendee since 2001.

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Let me say thank you for planning to cosplay Doctor Who characters at Otakon!!!! I totally love Doctor Who and am very happy that there will be Doctor Who cosplayers at Otakon this year.

Kun Sun Sweeley (KSweeley) | Otakorp, Inc. Voting Member 2010-14 | Otakon 2014 Staff - Exhibitions Divison - Art Show Department | Otakon 2013 Staff - Member Relations (formerly Member Services) Division - General Staff Department, Otakon 2011-2012 Staff - Programming Division - Otachan Department, Otakon 2010 Staff - Staff Relations Division - Staff Pool Department | (former Gofer 2004, TCG 2005-06, 2008, Tier 2: 2009 #403) | Otakon 2001-2013 Attendee | Chat with me on AIM: WeezingPok | Add Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ksweeley/ | Add Me As a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ksweeley

#16 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

o dont get me wrong the phone box things sounds really cool. It's good that someone is planning the big shoots. I think that last year the "wrong times" you heard were actually the times for our shoot...

Either way I'm just trying to set up another smaller one. It doesn't hurt to have more, especially since a lot of people have rough schedules
The Doctor

#17 graelyn

graelyn

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Haha! Was yours Saturday at 3 by the outdoor fountains because that's what a few people were telling everyone else? I had to go to the fountains early to either start the shoot or send everyone in to save them from heat exhaustion. D:

By all means, set up a smaller one. :) The more photoshoots, the better. If yours is at a time I can make, I'll stop by. ;)
Otakon '12 cosplays:
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)

#18 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

WE WOULD NEVER LET THE COMPETITION PARTICIPATE D:< sike naw lol by all means stop by. Yeah I think ours was at that time haha so if I do one I'll be sure not to set it up at the same time as yours, since you already have a time and all... Anyhow, I'm mostly just trying to find a group to hang with at Otakon. The shoot is just a little fun thing, idk if it'll even happen. But yeah stop by if you like, especially if you do Rose Tyler ;)

plus i'm even more softspoken in person most of the time xD like I'd run a good shoot, PFFT
The Doctor

#19 graelyn

graelyn

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Yeah. It took me a while to gather the "voice" to host photoshoots. XD I'm actually really softspoken as well.

Ack! Fine! I'll just put up my photoshoot next to yours and we'll have to battle it out. ;)

If you want a group to hang out with for a bit, you can wander around with us. We'll be in Doctor Who costume all weekend with the exception of a couple of hours in which a few of us have another photoshoot we have to go to.
Otakon '12 cosplays:
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)

#20 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Haha Well sure if I talk to you some first I'm sure that'd be awesome :3 I have to figure it out though, not quite 18 yet >.< so close... so unfortunately it's up to the parents if I can
The Doctor

#21 graelyn

graelyn

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

Ah. I know what that's like. Well,if you can, that's awesome. If not, I completely understand. :)

We'll keep each other updated on the photoshoot times.
Otakon '12 cosplays:
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)

#22 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

Unless of course you don't want a 17 year old around, which I understand. I have no clue how old you are, but I know some people don't want teens around xD

But if you're cool with it you can always just message me :3
The Doctor

#23 graelyn

graelyn

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

I just turned 25 two weeks ago. My youth is slowly seeping away from me. D: Hahaha!

I'm fine with any age as long as I'm not held responsible for them. Also, as long as they're not creepers. <.<
Otakon '12 cosplays:
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)

#24 josephbarnett36

josephbarnett36

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

oh well geez, I'm definitely out <.< lol jk. No creepiness here.

o it also depends on my girlfriend too. If she goes I might not even look for a group xD
The Doctor

#25 graelyn

graelyn

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:50 AM

Let me say thank you for planning to cosplay Doctor Who characters at Otakon!!!! I totally love Doctor Who and am very happy that there will be Doctor Who cosplayers at Otakon this year.

YAY! A Doctor Who fan! :D

o it also depends on my girlfriend too. If she goes I might not even look for a group xD

That is alright. Hope to see you at one of the photoshoots at least. The more Doctor Who, the merrier.
Otakon '12 cosplays:
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)

#26 KSweeley

KSweeley

Otakon Staff since 2010, Otakon Attendee since 2001.

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,332 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:19 AM

YAY! A Doctor Who fan! Posted Image

That is alright. Hope to see you at one of the photoshoots at least. The more Doctor Who, the merrier.

Yep, I am a huge fan of sci-fi, huge fan of Doctor Who and Star Trek, interestingly enough, there will be an actual Doctor Who-Star Trek crossover involving the Borg and the Cybermen who have teamed up and featuring the Doctor and Captain Jean-Luc Picard from Star Trek: The Next Generation and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise fighting to save humanity from the Borg and the Cybermen: http://screenrant.co...on2-aco-155089/

The sci-fi crossover of the century has arrived! The Doctor, Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the USS Enterprise will take on the Borg and the Cybermen in the first ever ‘Star Trek: TNG’ and ‘Doctor Who’ comic book crossover.

Nearly five decades and 1,500 episodes in the making, the ultimate sci-fi crossover of Doctor Who and Star Trek is finally happening, as IDW recently announced that they will be premiering Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation2 this May.

Centered around the unholy alliance of the Borg and the Cybermen, Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation2 will force the Doctor to team up with Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise to prevent the destruction of all humanity.

The eight-issue series will be written by Star Trek: Infestation writers Scott and David Tipton, with New York Times Best-Selling graphic novelist and longtime Doctor Who comic scribe Tony Lee serving as consultant. J.K. Woodward (Fallen Angel) will provide fully-painted artwork for the series.

Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation2 premieres May 2012 in a comic book shop near you.

Doctor Who season 7 will premiere Fall 2012

Star Trek 2 will be released May 17, 2013

Kun Sun Sweeley (KSweeley) | Otakorp, Inc. Voting Member 2010-14 | Otakon 2014 Staff - Exhibitions Divison - Art Show Department | Otakon 2013 Staff - Member Relations (formerly Member Services) Division - General Staff Department, Otakon 2011-2012 Staff - Programming Division - Otachan Department, Otakon 2010 Staff - Staff Relations Division - Staff Pool Department | (former Gofer 2004, TCG 2005-06, 2008, Tier 2: 2009 #403) | Otakon 2001-2013 Attendee | Chat with me on AIM: WeezingPok | Add Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ksweeley/ | Add Me As a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ksweeley

#27 Mokal

Mokal

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

I used to do a mean Six as Colin Baker is my favorite. But the fans seem to have changed in ways I do not agree with so I will be hanging up my multi-colored coat and exchanging it for a more Purple one

#28 graelyn

graelyn

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:52 AM

I used to do a mean Six as Colin Baker is my favorite. But the fans seem to have changed in ways I do not agree with so I will be hanging up my multi-colored coat and exchanging it for a more Purple one

Six is wonderful! O_O How have the fans changed? If you don't mind me asking of course.
Otakon '12 cosplays:
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)

#29 SylverSun

SylverSun

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

I am looking forward to seeing all the costumes! I don't have a DW cosplay yet but I am a Whovian!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving somthing in return. To obtain something with equal value must be lost. - Law of Equivalent Exchange

#30 Fifthrate

Fifthrate

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'll be sporting my UNIT Trooper costume. I'll try to be at one or both of the Saturday meets.
GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU HOOLIGANS!

#31 Gorie

Gorie

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'll be back again this year as a Weeping Angel. Improved costuming, of course. Those wings are KILLER.

http://sphotos.xx.fb...3_4579537_n.jpg

@Neophyte Otaku

Glad to see you've got a pic of my youngest brother and sister as the 11th and Amy~ http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3075249/
:) They'll be back again as the same characters, and I'm making a Sexy!4th Doctor costume for my other sister and a Tardis costume for her twin. -.- Lots of work to do, not much time to do it. hahaha

"He’s like fire and ice and rage.

He’s like the night,

and the storm at the heart of the sun...

He’s ancient and forever.

He burns at the center of time

And he can see the turn of the universe.

...And he’s wonderful."

#32 MoonNeko

MoonNeko

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:01 PM

I'm hoping that my sister and myself will be coming to a shoot!!! I'm trying to muscle her into cosplaying the Master since she has short blond hair >___> (is a horrible manipulative sister) and myself I'll be cosplaying as Rose when she first met the 9th Doctor!

#33 cabbitsu

cabbitsu

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

I'm making a 4th Doctor costume for another event and was undecided on if I should bring it to Ota, too. I'm a long time Otakon patron, but a new Whovian, and wasn't sure if there was a place for Who cosplay here...
But now reading this post I'm really excited to do this.
Hopefully the weather will be nice on Saturday (and not too hot). I hope to see everyone then!

#34 graelyn

graelyn

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Just to let everyone in this thread know about the final photoshoot times and locations.

Saturday 9 am: Meet in Charles Street Lobby near indoor fountains to possibly go to the police box.
Saturday 6 pm: Meet in Charles Street Lobby near indoor fountains to go to fountain across from 1st Mariner Arena.
Sunday 10 am: Charles Street Lobby near indoor fountains.
Otakon '12 cosplays:
Rose Tyler (Doctor Who)
Amy Pond (Doctor Who)