Photo

bringing instruments?

music instruments cosplay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 resika

resika

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

ok so im a violinist (i just started 7 months ago but im working on it ive want to play since i was like 5 damn me being poor XD)
anyway lets say i wanted to cosplay as a anime character with a violin could i play it?
what if it wasnt for any character but the music was anime themed music?

sorry in advance if this was mentained some where. i looked but found nothing
kidnapping? I prefer surprise adoption >:-D
<3 <3 this year's otakon is going to be awesome! <3 <3
------>watch for me I'll be erza scarlet in her new heart cruz armor and other random cosplays I haven't decided yet ^^<-----

#2 Kyon

Kyon

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:56 PM

It's not a weapon, and it's certainly not a vuvuzela ( they banned that a couple of years ago ) so I don't see why you couldn't. Two years ago there was a guy with a Tuba and he played it.

#3 Jive

Jive

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

So far as to my knowledge, as long as you're not being disruptive as you are playing your violin - impeding traffic, increasing noise level, purposely goading others by playing after they've asked you to stop or play elsewhere - you can play it at the convention. However, it is highly advised that you limit your playing to outside the convention center and not within its walls.

As an aside, unless you are cosplaying and will be using it for brief amounts of time as a prop for photoshoots, I would strongly suggest you leave the violin at home. Musical instruments - violins especially but I'm sure you're aware of that - are expensive so if anything (heaven forbid) should happen to it, you'll be SOL.
Ellen Li - Gofer 158
Otakon Attendee since 2002
Gofer since 2006

#4 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

So far as to my knowledge, as long as you're not being disruptive as you are playing your violin - impeding traffic, increasing noise level, purposely goading others by playing after they've asked you to stop or play elsewhere - you can play it at the convention. However, it is highly advised that you limit your playing to outside the convention center and not within its walls.

As an aside, unless you are cosplaying and will be using it for brief amounts of time as a prop for photoshoots, I would strongly suggest you leave the violin at home. Musical instruments - violins especially but I'm sure you're aware of that - are expensive so if anything (heaven forbid) should happen to it, you'll be SOL.

I remember someone brought in and played a set of Bag-pipes (I think it was 2 years, ago), and it was pretty loud and disruptive. Security had escourted the guy out of the center (while he was still playing).

Granted, it was toward the end of the con, but it was still loud and disruptive (the crowd that followed him didn't help matters, either).
Danny Perales
Attended every Otakon since 1994

#5 SilverMiko

SilverMiko

young lady

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Please let the appropriate staff answer this question, thank you.

Lauren Gallo

Otakon 2014 Virtual Info Desk Head
Otakon 2012-2013 Operations Division Head

Otakon 2011 Con Ops Dept Head
Otakorp 2011 Board of Directors- Recording Secretary
Otakon 2010 Con Ops Dept Head
Otakon 2006-2009 Exhibitions Staff
Otakon BBS moderator

#6 Micalas

Micalas

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Security had escourted the guy out of the center (while he was still playing).

That sounds hilariously awesome. I hope that he was playing the bagpipe funeral march as he walked.

#7 resika

resika

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Security had escourted the guy out of the center (while he was still playing).

That sounds hilariously awesome. I hope that he was playing the bagpipe funeral march as he walked.

lol

and ok thats what i thought im not bringing it but its good to know for the future thank you everyone for answering ^^
kidnapping? I prefer surprise adoption >:-D
<3 <3 this year's otakon is going to be awesome! <3 <3
------>watch for me I'll be erza scarlet in her new heart cruz armor and other random cosplays I haven't decided yet ^^<-----

#8 Jive

Jive

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:59 PM

Please let the appropriate staff answer this question, thank you.

My apologies for stepping on toes. In my defense, however, I did say "so far as to my knowledge". ;)
Ellen Li - Gofer 158
Otakon Attendee since 2002
Gofer since 2006