Photo

newbie location question

Hotel location

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 mars12012

mars12012

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

This will be my first year going to otakon and I am very excited.

I have one question though, due to booking late and having little money at this time (Oh the life of a college kid), we had to book a hotel around 1 mile away from the con. I was just wondering if this is normal not to stay directly in the inner harbor? I really don't want to be the only one dressed up in cosplay at my hotel. Plus if there would be more people around I'd feel more comfortable walking through the streets in my outfit since it looks like a ballet outfit. I am sadly a shy person who rambles so I apologize if my question is confusing.

#2 KSweeley

KSweeley

Otakon Staff since 2010, Otakon Attendee since 2001.

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

This will be my first year going to otakon and I am very excited.

I have one question though, due to booking late and having little money at this time (Oh the life of a college kid), we had to book a hotel around 1 mile away from the con. I was just wondering if this is normal not to stay directly in the inner harbor? I really don't want to be the only one dressed up in cosplay at my hotel. Plus if there would be more people around I'd feel more comfortable walking through the streets in my outfit since it looks like a ballet outfit. I am sadly a shy person who rambles so I apologize if my question is confusing.

Hello and welcome to your first Otakon ever!!!!!

Which hotel did you book your room at?

There are hotels that are within a 1 mile vicinity of the BCC that are usually booked by Otakon attendees every year that's in the Inner Harbor/Downtown area of Baltimore.

Hope you have an awesome and fun time at your very first Otakon this year!

Edited by KSweeley, 10 April 2012 - 02:24 PM.

Kun Sun Sweeley (KSweeley) | Otakorp, Inc. Voting Member 2010-14 | Otakon 2014 Staff - ???? Divison - ???? Department | Otakon 2013 Staff - Member Relations (formerly Member Services) Division - General Staff Department, Otakon 2011-2012 Staff - Programming Division - Otachan Department, Otakon 2010 Staff - Staff Relations Division - Staff Pool Department | (former Gofer 2004, TCG 2005-06, 2008, Tier 2: 2009 #403) | Otakon 2001-2013 Attendee | Chat with me on AIM: WeezingPok | Add Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ksweeley/ | Add Me As a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ksweeley

#3 mars12012

mars12012

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

There are hotels that are within a 1 mile vicinity of the BCC that are usually booked by Otakon attendees every year that's in the Inner Harbor/Downtown area of Baltimore.

Thanks, and I booked my hotel at a holiday inn. ( Only because my father has something special that got us in with a rather good discount and one free night)

That's a relief to hear. Thank you for telling me.

#4 KSweeley

KSweeley

Otakon Staff since 2010, Otakon Attendee since 2001.

• Otakon Staff
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

Thanks, and I booked my hotel at a holiday inn. ( Only because my father has something special that got us in with a rather good discount and one free night)

Not a problem, is this the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor hotel? If it is, it's a definite for Otakon attendees staying at that hotel during the con.

Kun Sun Sweeley (KSweeley) | Otakorp, Inc. Voting Member 2010-14 | Otakon 2014 Staff - ???? Divison - ???? Department | Otakon 2013 Staff - Member Relations (formerly Member Services) Division - General Staff Department, Otakon 2011-2012 Staff - Programming Division - Otachan Department, Otakon 2010 Staff - Staff Relations Division - Staff Pool Department | (former Gofer 2004, TCG 2005-06, 2008, Tier 2: 2009 #403) | Otakon 2001-2013 Attendee | Chat with me on AIM: WeezingPok | Add Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ksweeley/ | Add Me As a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ksweeley

#5 mars12012

mars12012

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Not a problem, is this the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor hotel? If it is, it's a definite for Otakon attendees staying at that hotel during the con.

No it is not the one in the Inner Harbor because sadly it was completely booked. The Holiday Inn I have booked the people who took the reservation said we have about a 1 mile walking distance to the convention center.

#6 sukibeth

sukibeth

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:14 PM

I'm guessing that you booked at the Holiday Inn Express on North Gay Street (that was the only other one I could find outside of the Inner Harbor HI)? It looks like there's a bus stop just outside of the hotel for the 36 that'll at least get you to the light rail. http://mta.maryland....les/route36.jpg, otherwise it's a bit of a walk (especally if you're going to be coming back at night - nottttt a great idea). Also, considering checking if there's a shuttle service to the Convention Center from the Hotel!

Beth Campbell

~ 2013 Maid Cafe Staff ~
~ 2011 -- Gofer #138 : 2012 -- Gofer #307 ~ || Otakon Attendee since 2004 ~

#7 mars12012

mars12012

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

I'm guessing that you booked at the Holiday Inn Express on North Gay Street (that was the only other one I could find outside of the Inner Harbor HI)? It looks like there's a bus stop just outside of the hotel for the 36 that'll at least get you to the light rail. http://mta.maryland....les/route36.jpg, otherwise it's a bit of a walk (especally if you're going to be coming back at night - nottttt a great idea). Also, considering checking if there's a shuttle service to the Convention Center from the Hotel!

That does sound familiar I believe it is the one I got, and thank you so much for the advice. I know I have been to Baltimore before but only to a concert and didn't think it was that much of a walk from my hotel to the area in the inner harbor that had the ships.

But as you pointed out it is a decent distance, and I know it is odd but I worry about being the only one in cosplay at my hotel especially since I am going to be wearing something a little more flashy than what I normally wear to cons.

#8 Nadistu

Nadistu

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

But as you pointed out it is a decent distance, and I know it is odd but I worry about being the only one in cosplay at my hotel especially since I am going to be wearing something a little more flashy than what I normally wear to cons.

Uh...I was going to say....If you're that worried...you could always try taking your costume down to the convention center and change in the bathrooms in the con...I always seem to see people do that every year...

though I wouldn't recommend doing that if say...your costume has tons of complicated/huge pieces or something....or if it's going to take an extremely long time to switch into it...

Call me Nadi if you want

2003-2006 -- "regular" con attendee ||
2007 - 2014 -- Gofer #108
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014 tentative cosplay: Sanae Y (Suikoden 3)

#9 Kirika

Kirika

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

I would say check with the hotel and see if they have a shutle. Sometimes they might take you into the inner harbor or if not they maybe able to drop you off somewhere near the Light Rail.

#10 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Fly Away, Now.

• Veteran Members
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Definitely see if there is a shuttle available, or see if you can grab a taxi back and forth. You're not gonna want to walk that distance there and back every day, it's very exhausting in the summer heat and probably not the safest thing to do.

panty-and-stocking-4.jpg

Otakon 2012: Moar Hype | Otakon 2011: This Moment

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John Bachman, Member '07, '09-'12]

#11 sherriahstargirl

sherriahstargirl

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hey yo!

My group is staying at that same hotel for one night and trust me there will be some cosplaying modeling up and down some streets. :D

Since I visit the downtown area alot I gotten use to walking miles around the area so for me it will be a 10-20 mins walk and if you are walking with friends really the time flies no matter how hot it is in my opinion. But for someone not use to it maybe shuttle, bus, taxi, whatever would be the best choice for you.

#12 eleoopy

eleoopy

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

i believe that hotel has free shuttle service. I looked that hotel up last year and was considering booking it until i found a better deal with Sheraton under Otakon's block. It's best to call the hotel and see if they offer this kind of service or not, and how late they run :)

Yee Lau
2006-Present: Otakon Attendee
2010: Gofer #10018
2011: Gofer #105
2012 - Present: Registration Staff

#13 Cousinsue

Cousinsue

Evil Ex-Chair Admin

• Administrators
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

Baltimore has public transport. Although we (the staff) do have hotels, when we come down to the meetings we don't, so we park at Hunt Valley or somewhere and come in by light rail. Yes, we've walked a long distance to some of our hotels, but it isn't that bad. So no, don't worry about not being in the Inner Harbor.

Susan Monroe
Gofer Ops Tri-DH
BBS Administrator
Otakon 2013