Photo

Guide Book App Again?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Aux10

Aux10

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

So anyone know if there're plans to use the Guide Book App again this year? I really loved using it last year, especially with the instant schedule updates.

Aux10's Words of con Wisdom:
6-8 hours of sleep a day keeps the nonconsensual planking away!
Help prevent premature nose death, take a soapy shower and use deodorant every day!
Instant Ramen is trash, eat REAL food!
Don't be a crumbly dry sponge, drink lots of water!

#2 legalesey

legalesey

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

I hope they do, it was great!

#3 mreynolds

mreynolds

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

We do plan to use Guidebook again for Otakon 2012.

Michael Reynolds
Online Registration Lead

#4 GasparAKAShiggitay

GasparAKAShiggitay

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Awesome. I wish Anime Central would do the same. >_> They're going paper only, which is stupid. What if something changes? Are they gonna depend on signs on the doors near panels rooms etc? >_>

#5 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Awesome. I wish Anime Central would do the same. >_> They're going paper only, which is stupid. What if something changes? Are they gonna depend on signs on the doors near panels rooms etc? >_>

Well... yeah. That has worked for the last few millenia reasonably well. It's still used widely by many conventions and it has the advantage of being available to people who don't have $90/month to shell out for a smartphone. We use it ourselves; Guidebook was an experiment that worked well, but we still manually update the room signage and schedules, and stream the schedule via interwebs to the screen on the other side of the BCC for live updates.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#6 Adv1sor

Adv1sor

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Having joined the 21st century and actually bought a smartphone this year, I am looking forward to using the guide app. Glad to hear it's coming back.

#7 Daisuke Uchiha

Daisuke Uchiha

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

seeing as how i depend on all the apps in my phone this sounds really good.
Otakon 2012 cosplays:
Rangiku Matsumoto (Bleach)
Neji Hyuga (Naruto Shippuden)

NARUTO AND BLEACH GATHERING AND PHOTOSHOOT GROUP ON FB!!!!
COME JOIN!!!!!!!!
http://www.facebook....95923020445489/

If you wanna talk more with me before the con and stuff add me on facebook- Jessica Kitty Perez
I'd like to have more friends to talk to! And say that you're from the Otakon website so I don't ignore your request! XD

#8 youjik33

youjik33

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:25 AM

I honestly would always assume that signs outside panel rooms would be the definitive word on changes.

And I don't even WANT a smartphone. I'm on the internet way too much as it is without having it in my pocket.

Not saying the app isn't great for people who use it. It just irks me when people act like they can't live without their phone.

Otakon 2013 Cosplay Plans (tentative):

Enjolras (Les Miserables - stage version -- OR IS THAT "ARM JOE" VERSION)

Tsuritama not-really-a-cosplay cosplay (Hemingway store employee apron, with incorrect hair to actually be Misaki this time)

#9 onsenmark

onsenmark

Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

I have my tablet, so I should be able to update when I can get wi-fi, lol.

Give me cheese to go with my whine.

Thinking about Otakon 2014:

Franken Stein - Soul Eater(Saturday afternoon/evening only)

#10 Pharkas

Pharkas

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

Anyone know if it will be available on the Windows phone marketplace?

#11 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Disciplinary Committee Chair

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Anyone know if it will be available on the Windows phone marketplace?

Here you go~

http://guidebook.com/getit/wp7/

Well... yeah. That has worked for the last few millenia reasonably well. It's still used widely by many conventions and it has the advantage of being available to people who don't have $90/month to shell out for a smartphone. We use it ourselves; Guidebook was an experiment that worked well, but we still manually update the room signage and schedules, and stream the schedule via interwebs to the screen on the other side of the BCC for live updates.

FWIW, you can get Guidebook on your tablet of choice; my Nook Color fed me everything I needed to know about the schedule last year. But I digress....

Guidebook was fantastic last year, I'm so excited for its return to Otakon in 2012. Groups of people kept asking me if they could sneak a peek at the updated schedule since my screen is so big and pretty. Posted Image

Edited by Otaku Ru, 11 May 2012 - 05:48 PM.

gama2014_zps45cead10.jpg

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John B., Member '07, '09-'12, '14]

Fanvideos:  2014 | 2012 | 2011

#12 SylverSun

SylverSun

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

YAY! This was an awesome feature! I love building my own schedule and it sending me reminders! I wish my other cons would do the same but they seem really reluctant! Shame. So thank you for making MY con time a better experience!
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving somthing in return. To obtain something with equal value must be lost. - Law of Equivalent Exchange

#13 SylverSun

SylverSun

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Also according to a post on 5/1/12 on the guidebook app, someone used it during Anime Central.
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving somthing in return. To obtain something with equal value must be lost. - Law of Equivalent Exchange

#14 dgcosplay

dgcosplay

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:13 PM

never heard of guidebook...sounds interesting

I'm Barret Wallace #$@&^!

I am a photographer from Baltimore who shoots cosplay. If you would like to book a shoot please contact me at www.facebook.com/dgphotography2 . Sample photo in my sig and more on my page. Also created the DMV ANIME WATCHERS CLUB Our club holds a lot of events such as workshops, anime screening, laser tag, photo shoots, cosplay events, video game nights, happy hours, and much more in the Maryland, D.C., Virginia, and surrounding areas. if you would like to join visit us here http://www.facebook....<!--NoParse1-->

1013223_604566479624385_603470814_n.jpg

#15 onsenmark

onsenmark

Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

Any word on when this year's guide will be available for download?

Give me cheese to go with my whine.

Thinking about Otakon 2014:

Franken Stein - Soul Eater(Saturday afternoon/evening only)