Photo

What were your worst experiences at Otakon?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
157 replies to this topic

#1 Makaimi

Makaimi

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

DISCLAIMER: THIS THREAD IS NOT TO BASH THE CONVENTION ITSELF. THIS IS A THREAD TO DISCUSS ABOUT THINGS THAT HAPPENED AT OTAKON THAT BUGGED YOU, WHETHER IT HAPPENED TO BE PEOPLE, SHOUTING MEMES, OR ANYTHING THAT HAS HAPPENED, WHETHER IT WAS A BAD EXPERIENCE OR SOMETHING ELSE. PLEASE DO NOT BASH OTAKON NOR ITS STAFF.

Now that's out of the way, I would say that shouting the memes are a bit annoying. It's a given, so I can't really complain. Another thing would be the Caramelldansen, though I haven't seen that in a while, and one year, a staff member was rather rude to me. What were some down points in your year(s) experiencing Otakon?

#2 serel

serel

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

i would say the fan-hosted panels. since the ones i've attended in the past have always been quite lacking. they either spout things that you can find on wikipedia or their own opinions. i would like experts or ppl actually professionals in their field. not ppl like u or me, which by that i mean just someone off the street type. i went to a panel two years ago, god the lady hosting the panel was a rude loudmouth that i really wanted to go up and slap her a couple of times. not only was she aggressively insulting but she was drunk off her bum. my brother actually fell asleep it was so boring.

#3 4r15u

4r15u

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

Well it was in otakon but didn't involve the staff or the con its self. well sort of. NOT STAFF. it was the day when someone pulled the fire alarm and the whole building was evacuated. I was in the hilton part seeing a panel for stephanie sheh & then vic mignogna afterwards same room. the only thing was we didn't know what was going on outside. and when i called my sister asking if she had her camcorder she said it was back at our hotel the sherton that was about 6 blocks up and 2 over i think?

so guess what i did? it was my first con meeting and seeing vic so i was so excited i had to go and get the camera. only to find out EVERY entrance to the hilton was closed off because of all the people from the con crowding the streets. i found a way out and told the door man i would be back and he said okay they would let me back in. so i ran those 6 blocks or so in cosplay up the streets to my hotel passing all these rude people making fun of me saying aren't you a little too old to wear a costume in the summer or what the *beep* are you suppose to be and the occasional laughs. people these days but whatever i digrest.

I get to the hotel and of course everyone from the con thinking well its not going to be open anytime soon and all they need to make sure its safe so lets head back to the hotel. with only 20 min or so to spare i ran up about 7 flights of stairs (since the elevators were all filled and too slow at the time) grabbed the camera being out of breath. ran back down the stairs and back to the hilton. they almost didn't let me in. there was a HUGE line outside the panel doors for vic but everyone in there because of all the situation outside got to stay in the room. i told them i just ran out like 10 min ago to grab my camera and i was lucky enough they let me back in. that was m exercise for the day and how much of a fan i am to anime. lol thank you xD

Otakon 2014 cosplays!

Yakumo - School Rumble

Shiro - No game no life

#4 Otaku7

Otaku7

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:50 AM

Well it was in otakon but didn't involve the staff or the con its self. well sort of. NOT STAFF. it was the day when someone pulled the fire alarm and the whole building was evacuated. I was in the hilton part seeing a panel for stephanie sheh & then vic mignogna afterwards same room. the only thing was we didn't know what was going on outside. and when i called my sister asking if she had her camcorder she said it was back at our hotel the sherton that was about 6 blocks up and 2 over i think?

so guess what i did? it was my first con meeting and seeing vic so i was so excited i had to go and get the camera. only to find out EVERY entrance to the hilton was closed off because of all the people from the con crowding the streets. i found a way out and told the door man i would be back and he said okay they would let me back in. so i ran those 6 blocks or so in cosplay up the streets to my hotel passing all these rude people making fun of me saying aren't you a little too old to wear a costume in the summer or what the *beep* are you suppose to be and the occasional laughs. people these days but whatever i digrest.

I get to the hotel and of course everyone from the con thinking well its not going to be open anytime soon and all they need to make sure its safe so lets head back to the hotel. with only 20 min or so to spare i ran up about 7 flights of stairs (since the elevators were all filled and too slow at the time) grabbed the camera being out of breath. ran back down the stairs and back to the hilton. they almost didn't let me in. there was a HUGE line outside the panel doors for vic but everyone in there because of all the situation outside got to stay in the room. i told them i just ran out like 10 min ago to grab my camera and i was lucky enough they let me back in. that was m exercise for the day and how much of a fan i am to anime. lol thank you xD

This was surprisingly a good experience for me as I was in the dealers hall and had just decided to get food not 10 minutes before all the chaos. So there I was getting Chipotle when I saw a sea of people storming the streets and thought to myself, "huh, that's not normal during this time even for a con." I told my friend something must have happened. We ate our food and asked a few that walked in what had happened and that's when we learned of the fire alarm incident. I was glad because after that every restaurant was completely packed and when I finished eating, the con was open again lol. I am one of the few that it didn't really bother :)

Oh, and yes, I commend you on your fandom. I expect no less from the Otaku culture lol :D

Otakon '13 Cosplay (subject to change)

Friday: Eureka Seven AO

Saturday: Attack on Titan

Sunday: Steampunk

#5 Taylor

Taylor

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

The only bad experiences I had at Otakon was experiences that ended with a good result.

Last year, My friend invited me to his hotel room at the Hilton after the dance. We were restless, so we went swimming in the pool. While we were running and spazzing about, my phone fell out of my pocket. What made it more bad was that my phone was also in a phone wallet hybrid thingy, so my credit card, ID, pass, etc was also dropped. I was running back and forth trying to retrace my steps before someone else found it, then lost all hope. When I went back to the pool room, it was right at the entrance. I was so happy!
That's like buying a '94 Camaro and painting it pink.

#6 RamenSoup43

RamenSoup43

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

2010 - Sunday, a person I was rooming with needed more help paying for her half of the room so she jumped on the net and invited a guy that had been previously booted from his room. I could probably tell why, first thing he does after entering the room was bring over about 4 takeout boxes of Hooters and starts eating, then letting out the ensuing SBD with authority (could hear the effort he put in to the gas he injected to the room.) Preceded to yell to us that "OVER 29 THOUSAND" were in attendance at that year. To distract myself from the noise and the smell, I found a leftover bottle of Jack (peach flavored, a girl left it over from Saturday) and tested my limits, which was a mistake for what it was worth. Ended up regretting that since Monday morning's train ride home was full of my passed out snoring while an entire car of one family reunion group (one of those things where the entire family has a T shirt glorifying their own family-oriented event) coming back to Charleston, same stop as mine, was wondering what in the hell I did last night.

It was kinda a letdown for the last day but overall the convention was okay, aside from the fire alarm incident. Was kinda funny seeing how none of the vendors evacuated. But with all that merch, I guess it's understandable.

#7 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Otakon 2010. My group stayed at the Waterfront Marriott that year. The day before, the water main in the hotel blew and all the rooms were without running water for over a day which, of course, included toilets.

I explained this to my friend who just ate a gigantic pasta dish at the Cheesecake Factory who proceeded to "forget" and then blew up the bathroom for the rest of us for the rest of the night.

We all laughed about it in hindsight and it was funny at the time. Luckily my sinuses were plugged up so I had no sense of smell, thank god.
The other experience was when said friend the next day was kicked out of the AMV competition because he failed to read the "no re-admittance" sign and then argued with several staffers. We collectively laughed at him.

It says something about how fun Otakon is when the "worst" experiences were actually extremely funny.

The only truly bad con experience I've had was this past Nekocon, when a bunch of idiots kept running down the hallway of the Hilton Garden Inn screaming "I LOVE HENTAI" at 3 a.m.

"I've been playing with Leah Clark's wenis all weekend"- Chris Rager

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
Otakon 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012
NekoCon 2010, 2011

Otakon 2014: The Emperor's Royal Guard, Return of the Jedi. (again)

#8 bloomkb

bloomkb

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

My Riru costume got ruined. T^T

Posted Image

You cant resist this.

#9 serel

serel

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

how?

#10 GreenTentacle

GreenTentacle

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Saturday night of Otakon 2009 there was a burst pipe at the hotel where my friends and I were staying. After the burst the next toilet that flushed ended up having all the water diverted to it, which was of course our toilet when I flushed it. Water came pouring out and I couldn't find the cut off valve because there was so little space between the toilet and the wall; You'd have to be on your hands and knees looking behind the toilet to find it which is the last place you want to be when water is flooding out. Posted Image

The maintenance guy eventually showed up after we called twice and took care of it, but by then more than half of our room's carpet was soaked. The hotel said it's wet-vac was broke (my guess is that it was actually being used where they main pipe burst was) and they sent up a guy with a small stack of towels. We convinced them to send up a cart full of towels which he used to sop up the water as best we could then laid down a layer to walk around the room on, though we kept our shoes on in the room. Since the hotel was sold out they couldn't move us to another room but they took half off the bill and gave my friend extra frequent stayer points for the mishap.

So yeah, it was a nightmare but also a hilarious story.Posted Image

2014 Convention Schedule

April: Zenkaikon

August: Bronycon, Otakon

#11 ErinErin

ErinErin

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

2007 - My only "bad" year. I think overall I had fun that weekend but I had some expensive mishaps that, luckily, have not happened again. On Sunday, I lost my camera. I had been taking a ton of pictures all weekend and mostly kept it around my wrist so I could quickly snap a shot while walking around the con. As we're walking out of the con to leave for good, I realize my camera is not around my wrist. I do a search of my bags and retrace my steps that day (pulling apart cushions on all the couches and benches near anywhere I had been), went to lost and found but they hadn't received it. After much looking and getting really upset, we leave. Camera was never found even after following up with the con and other attendees on the board. That year I put the hotel on my debit card and my friends gave me cash. About half of our group had come to my apartment in Philly the night before we headed down to Otakon so I left the cash they gave me there (who wants to walk around Baltimore with excessive cash?). When I got home Sunday, I went to add the rest of the hotel cash to that stash so I could deposit it in the morning and couldn't find it anywhere. I tore my apartment up, dug through the garbage, even went through the dumpster outside, but never found that money. I think my roommate accidentally threw it away while cleaning up (it was inside an envelope so it didn't look like a wad of cash). I was out about $200 for the camera and close to $300 for the hotel. Being only halfway through college at that point, my bank account really took a hit that year.
Loyal Otakon Attendee since 2001...

#12 jtgamer

jtgamer

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

2008- being over charged for my room. I liked my host that had the room, but the prices for the room kept changing until i finally said screw it and paid about $150 for the room. my friend and his brother got screwed over for $300 because of the changing room cost. to add that we had 10 people and we were charged about $120 for the room and $40 for gas. (luckily gas was paid before I got to the con). Other than an awesome time, that was a harsh first otakon and con.
------------------

past cons attended:
Otakon 2008, 2010-13; Anime USA 2008-2012; Katsucon 15-19

Otakon 2014 Hotel: Holiday Inn Inner Harbor biggrin.png (4th year)

#13 joecrouse

joecrouse

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:50 PM

3 years ago things going very bad in life.I had lost my job 3 days before and was down to my last 80 bucks JUST enough to get in and pay for parking. Got very depressed because I was alone in a huge crowd of people and realized I couldn't bring anything home even if I wanted. Had ZERO money to spend couldn't enjoy it as life sucked so bad. My will to live was about as low as it gets without doing the big stage dive and face plant off a balcony. It was so bad I couldn't even go on Sunday. Complete and total shut down I wound up walking the last 5 or 6 miles home because I ran out of gas just south of Aberdeen. At like 5 o'clock on Saturday

But I'm feeling MUCH better now.

#14 modernparanoia

modernparanoia

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:16 PM

My worst Otakon experience was 2007. We had a friend with us who was, for lack of a better term, disgusting. It was his first convention, and because he was a bit socially stunted to begin with, he didn't know how to react to the con. He was extremely rude to all the other con goers. Like, if someone accidentally stepped on his foot or something he would blow a gasket. It was goddamn embarrassing to say the least. This was only Friday he started behaving like this. Well, Saturday rolls around and he proceeds to tell us he doesn't have any money and can't get sushi with us. He disappears to find a McDonalds...and we can't find him for the rest of the day. We call, and we text, but no dice.
So the remaining four of us go to the bar that night and have some drinks. Suddenly, we get a barrage of texts from him accussing US of abandoning HIM. He starts calling us shitty friends then DEMANDS we meet him halfway so we can all "talk".
By this point we are all drunk as hell and don't care about his feelings.
The culmination of our feud came to a head outside of our hotel in the parking lot, where another friend and him proceed to have a screaming battle that gets the cops called. There was a guy beating his wife by the pool (I ---- you all not, this actually happened at the same exact time) so thankfully they went to attend to that unfortunate business right away and let our warring friends off the hook. The douche friend was holding a decent amount of weed, too, which I had told him was not permitted in the room anyway. So, there was that.
I ended up getting sick and throwing up out front of the hotel, due to the alcohol and getting upset from all the fighting.

Sunday morning we leave and the whole entire day in the dealer room and artist's alley is extremely awkward. I felt like ---- because of the puking, and of course tensions were still high from the giant fight which never really got resolved. Everyone just kinda went to bed.
And to make matters worse, the douche friend didn't shower the whole time we were there. Sunday on the drive home he smelled so bad it made me throw up all over again.
So yeah...horrible experience and I'm glad I now have friends who don't put me through this kind of excessive drama.
I want to invent a lightbulb that only shines on things worth looking at.

#15 RamenSoup43

RamenSoup43

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:17 AM

Oooh.. I remember another.

2009 - the whole freakin thing. The con itself was cool, I got to go catch the Crispin Freeman panel. Worst thing: I was forced to take my sister. She is not a fan of anime, was in charge of driving, and did not like ANYTHING. In order for me to go that year, I had to take her. 3 day convention: Total time spent at convention was roughly 8 hours TOTAL. A couple of panels (only thing she liked was "Gunslinger Girl" viewing) and ZERO time in the game room, would make a scene every time I tried going in and started being a bitch. We spent most of the time driving too and from the convention center (brother lived in Silver Spring) Spent an unneccisary 200+ on travel and gas from and to the convention alone.

Constant complaints of "My feet hurt" "We're going home now!" "This is gay..." a lot of "Are you done yet?" and "Oh, that's cute. What cartoon is that from?" a little of "These people are losers." And the occasional "How can you be so selfish?"

Next year I went without her: Couldn't have been more (almost) perfect and fun.

#16 Mythicalfair

Mythicalfair

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:36 AM

The fire alarm was a major hassle for us as a vendor since we had to abandon our booth (luckily they let vendors leave last and re-enter first so we didn't have to worry about theft), but it still happened when the dealer room was packed. Even tho they let the room stay open longer to make up for lost time the energy was dissipated. The staff seemed to handle it as best they could, but honestly there was no way to evacuate that amount of people without problems. I saw a guy waiting for his wife to get out of the restroom ordered to leave but refused to leave his wife. Another person passed out outside due to the heat and congestion. If nothing else it gave us a much needed meal break!

Other then that our experience with Otakon has been overwhelmingly positive and we are looking forward to this year. The biggest general complaint I hear from customers is the lines, but I hear that at almost every con.

Ed
www.mythicalfair.com
Check out our booth at Otakon!

#17 Dreaming Magpie

Dreaming Magpie

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:28 AM

By far my worst otakon moment was in 2010. I was cosplaying Yotsuba (Yotsuba& / Yotsubato) and I had a small figure of the character Yotsuba with me as well. This figure was SO very dear to me. She was my travel companion and I took her all over the world and took photos of her everywhere I went. Well, I ended up dropping her between the room to get professional photos taken and the dealers room. I retraced my steps the moment I realized she had fallen out of my pouch and could not find her. The rest of the con we kept checking back to lost and found with no luck. We figure that whoever found her decided to keep her for them selves. I was SO sad and upset and that is no way to spend your convention. I have since purchased a replacement, but it will never be the same as the first one, as that is the one I took all over with me. It still saddens me to this day. Posted Image

Otakon 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012!

Missed Otakon 2013 for a good reason, we got married!

See yall in 2014... ^_^

-Magpie

#18 Ho-ohLover

Ho-ohLover

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

My 2011 vist

My shoes broke and the hotel I stayed at is a 20 minute walk away
I felt that the AMV contest wasnt that good/wasnt funny
A person who I commisioned didnt have my commision ready (and still doesnt have it Posted Image )
Didnt get to go into the panel I wanted
Other panel I went to was basically 'people have opions/different opions than you' said in 25 ways
Didnt get to see the aritist alley much
An item I was bidding on went over my budget

so yeah Posted Image

Otakon 2014 Cosplays:

Ho-oh - Pokemon: http://fc01.devianta...ver-d6kghbe.png

Princess Celestia - My Little Pony: http://fc03.devianta...ver-d6kgfkg.png

#19 modernparanoia

modernparanoia

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

Oooh.. I remember another.

2009 - the whole freakin thing. The con itself was cool, I got to go catch the Crispin Freeman panel. Worst thing: I was forced to take my sister. She is not a fan of anime, was in charge of driving, and did not like ANYTHING. In order for me to go that year, I had to take her. 3 day convention: Total time spent at convention was roughly 8 hours TOTAL. A couple of panels (only thing she liked was "Gunslinger Girl" viewing) and ZERO time in the game room, would make a scene every time I tried going in and started being a bitch. We spent most of the time driving too and from the convention center (brother lived in Silver Spring) Spent an unneccisary 200+ on travel and gas from and to the convention alone.

Constant complaints of "My feet hurt" "We're going home now!" "This is gay..." a lot of "Are you done yet?" and "Oh, that's cute. What cartoon is that from?" a little of "These people are losers." And the occasional "How can you be so selfish?"

Next year I went without her: Couldn't have been more (almost) perfect and fun.

Something similar happened to me a few years back, except it was my mom and it was for another anime convention. Back when my sister was 16, I wanted to take her to this one day anime con held at a local college. It was small but cool, and it was free. More or less, it was something to do on a Saturday when...frankly, there isn't much to do in my area to begin with. Well, mom made it a point to say that if my sister was going to go that she had to come with us. And I knew it was going to end badly.
My other group of friends drove separately while my sister and I rode down with mom, who started bitching about the traffic before we even GOT to the convention.
The whole time we were there she did nothing but piss and whine. Every time she saw a cosplayer she'd openly say crap like, "what a faggot" purposefully loud enough for them to hear. It was mortifying. Eventually, she started taking pictures of cosplayers with her phone and sending them to her friend so they could sit outside and laugh. Like goddamn children.
And she would make it obvious to them that she wasn't taking their pictures because she liked their costumes, but that she was doing it to make fun of them.
I was so upset I wanted to punch her in the face. We proceed to get into a shouting match in the parking garage because her behavior got that bad.

Eventually she left, leaving my sister and the rest of my group to finally enjoy the rest of the con. It was one of the worst experiences of my life.

#20 ctrlaltamanda

ctrlaltamanda

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

I remember 2007 (I think it was), the pre-reg line and regular reg line outside was outrageous and completely mixed up. I asked a gofer where the end of the pre-reg line was. He pointed at the end (or so he thought) and said it was shorter then the regular line.

BOY WAS HE WRONG. So we go over to the line, stand for about 2 1/2 hours in awful Baltimore heat (one of my friends in cosplay because that year we just drove in instead of getting a hotel, never again). Eventually another gofer comes over to us and accuses us of cutting the line, even though we explained that we were *pointed* here by another gofer. Because I didn't remember the other gofer's name to prove ourselves, we were forced back to the end of the line (which ended up being the f******ng regular registration line).

Needless to say, I was pissed and it ruined that Friday for me.
So now we go on Thursday night, late, so we don't have to deal with misinformed people and be accused of being dishonest Posted Image

Also, I've had roommate drama. I think this was 2008? We have both males and females in our room, and usually if there are people coming from out of state to come, we give them the other bed (most of our friends understand this and prefer the floor anyway). And since we only had one girl coming in from NC, she had preferred to sleep with another girl if she had to bum a bed with someone she didn't really know (understandable). Well, I had another girl who was supposed to share the bed, until her boyfriend showed up in our room. I was pretty relaxed about it, told him he could bum for the night to get his badge if he needed (this was his first con, so I was attempting to be helpful). The boy/girlfriend proceeded to go and get WASTED as hell, text me asking me to boot my friend from her bed so THEY could sleep together.

Uh, no. If you guys have to sleep ~~together~~ you can do so on the floor. Apparently this guy had a bit of a temper, so he comes back and pouts and throws a huge fit having to sleep on the floor when there was only one person sleeping in a bed. Like honestly, this guy really thought he had the right to be pissed off when he wasn't even contributing to the room AT ALL. So the boy/girlfriend proceed to fight (at 3AM on the Thursday before Otakon), she locks herself in the bathroom to cry, he screams at her through the door, and eventually I just tell them that the boyfriend has to go. NOW. Before the hotel security comes in and finds 7 people in our room and a drunk jerk waking up the entire hotel floor. How no one came knocking on our door was nothing short of a miracle.
The dude flat out refused to leave for a while, so I threatened to call the cops, and eventually he gets one of his friends to pick him up (since he was too wasted to drive home. Classy.).
So now I enforce a No-Alcohol-in-room rule, no matter if everyone is over 21. And also, any bf/gf drama needs to happen out of the room, or will result in getting kicked out of the room as well. I never understood why people air their dirty laundry out in front of people to begin with, let alone at a CON.

#21 Hinano

Hinano

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

My worst Otakon was 2006...
-Right before the Karaoke contest the karaoke contest guy & the DJ they hired were arguing in the middle of the floor in front of everyone because the DJ was like "I WAS HIRED FOR X HOURS AND SO I AM NOT GOING TO LEAVE" etc.
-On the train home on Sunday even though I bought "reserved" seats, the train didn't seem give a f*** and I ended up walking around the entire train until I found a seat that wasn't occupied by a million families - in the food car =_=;
-Kawasumi Ayako who I was really excited to meet, was saying obnoxious things & making fun of her fans right in front of them. Fortunately for them, they probably had no idea what she was saying but since I can understand Japanese I found her commentary extremely rude. If you hate anime fans that much, why do you come to an anime convention again? Posted Image
-My hotel (the Raddison) had paper windows and someone decided to hold a super loud R&B concert at 11PM - 2AM and it sounded like I was sleeping right on stage.
-Not sure if they still do this but the masquerade was held at the 1st Mariner Arena that year for the first time and getting back from there was pretty scary because all the "shady" people decided to loiter in the area between there & my hotel. Bleh...

Thanks to this Otakon I actually hadn't been to Otakon since 2006 so now after 6 years I am coming back and hope for a better experience...Posted Image

#22 TomDent

TomDent

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 02:39 PM

Last year's Otakon was my friends' and my first ever convention. It was completely awesome overall (of course there were the little annoyances that probably can't be helped with a convention that size, like waiting in line forever for everything) but the only real bad experience I had that weekend was the day before the convention. We had just arrived in Baltimore and right when we were near our final exit on the interstate, our gps quit working (the sound just gave out and we didn't hear it telling us to turn off the next exit). We ended up lost for a few hours because we'd never been to Baltimore before and ended up going through 2 toll booths. The first one was no problem, but on the second one we ended up in the EZ Pass only lane (not really our fault) and couldn't get over to the regular lanes. Ended up running the toll booth and setting off some kind of alarm. I got a $5 ticket about a month later in the mail.

Then, after we finally found our hotel and some cheap parking, we went to check in, but my friend's card wouldn't work for some reason. We walked around for a while looking for an atm and when we finally found one, he still couldn't get the money. His parents were paying for our room, but forgot to put the money on his card. So while he was on the phone, trying to get the money, there were a bunch of people waiting on the bus that kept staring at us and were arguing with themselves. We hurried back to the hotel and after about an hour on the phone, FINALLY got our room paid for.

Luckily, there were no real problems after that and it was pretty much forgotten about due to the pure awesomeness of Otakon.
"I never say how I feel. I just smile and do what I'm told." -NGE: Angelic Days
"I will demand the impossible from you! I will demand the irrational! But in the end, you will thank me..." -NGE: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project
"To be a boy is to be a fool. And being a fool is pure bliss." -FLCL

#23 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

I remember 2007 (I think it was), the pre-reg line and regular reg line outside was outrageous and completely mixed up. I asked a gofer where the end of the pre-reg line was. He pointed at the end (or so he thought) and said it was shorter then the regular line.

BOY WAS HE WRONG. So we go over to the line, stand for about 2 1/2 hours in awful Baltimore heat (one of my friends in cosplay because that year we just drove in instead of getting a hotel, never again). Eventually another gofer comes over to us and accuses us of cutting the line, even though we explained that we were *pointed* here by another gofer. Because I didn't remember the other gofer's name to prove ourselves, we were forced back to the end of the line (which ended up being the f******ng regular registration line).

So now we go on Thursday night, late, so we don't have to deal with misinformed people and be accused of being dishonest Posted Image

Also, I've had roommate drama. I think this was 2008? We have both males and females in our room, and usually if there are people coming from out of state to come, we give them the other bed (most of our friends understand this and prefer the floor anyway). And since we only had one girl coming in from NC, she had preferred to sleep with another girl if she had to bum a bed with someone she didn't really know (understandable). Well, I had another girl who was supposed to share the bed, until her boyfriend showed up in our room. I was pretty relaxed about it, told him he could bum for the night to get his badge if he needed (this was his first con, so I was attempting to be helpful). The boy/girlfriend proceeded to go and get WASTED as hell, text me asking me to boot my friend from her bed so THEY could sleep together.

Uh, no. If you guys have to sleep ~~together~~ you can do so on the floor. Apparently this guy had a bit of a temper, so he comes back and pouts and throws a huge fit having to sleep on the floor when there was only one person sleeping in a bed. Like honestly, this guy really thought he had the right to be pissed off when he wasn't even contributing to the room AT ALL. So the boy/girlfriend proceed to fight (at 3AM on the Thursday before Otakon), she locks herself in the bathroom to cry, he screams at her through the door, and eventually I just tell them that the boyfriend has to go. NOW. Before the hotel security comes in and finds 7 people in our room and a drunk jerk waking up the entire hotel floor. How no one came knocking on our door was nothing short of a miracle.
The dude flat out refused to leave for a while, so I threatened to call the cops, and eventually he gets one of his friends to pick him up (since he was too wasted to drive home. Classy.).
So now I enforce a No-Alcohol-in-room rule, no matter if everyone is over 21. And also, any bf/gf drama needs to happen out of the room, or will result in getting kicked out of the room as well. I never understood why people air their dirty laundry out in front of people to begin with, let alone at a CON.

^This. Some people have asked me in the past, how do you have a drama and stress-free otakon? Avoid this sort of thing.
Most of the con horror stories I've heard over the years come from people who rent their hotel rooms out to half a dozen total strangers, then they get angry when said strangers get drunk, trash the room, have sex with other said strangers, smoke pot etc.

I know it saves money but its such a hassle dealing with people you've never met. Also, if I was a girl I'm not sure I'd want strange men in my hotel room either.... My group of friends have always roomed together and have really never had any major hotel-horrors to speak of. Screaming temper tantrums, calling the cops and locking yourself in the bathroom? Doesn't seem worth it to save a $100 or so dollars. Besides, that's the local processing fee at the Baltimore City Central Booking office anyway if said cops show up at your room :P

"I've been playing with Leah Clark's wenis all weekend"- Chris Rager

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
Otakon 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012
NekoCon 2010, 2011

Otakon 2014: The Emperor's Royal Guard, Return of the Jedi. (again)

#24 modernparanoia

modernparanoia

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

^This. Some people have asked me in the past, how do you have a drama and stress-free otakon? Avoid this sort of thing.
Most of the con horror stories I've heard over the years come from people who rent their hotel rooms out to half a dozen total strangers, then they get angry when said strangers get drunk, trash the room, have sex with other said strangers, smoke pot etc.

I know it saves money but its such a hassle dealing with people you've never met. Also, if I was a girl I'm not sure I'd want strange men in my hotel room either.... My group of friends have always roomed together and have really never had any major hotel-horrors to speak of. Screaming temper tantrums, calling the cops and locking yourself in the bathroom? Doesn't seem worth it to save a $100 or so dollars. Besides, that's the local processing fee at the Baltimore City Central Booking office anyway if said cops show up at your room Posted Image

It's true. I'm glad I have a huge group of friends who will always stay with me so this garbage doesn't happen. If you have a room full of people who are just meeting, and then you add alcohol to the mix, it has the potential to end with a cataclysmic boom that could ruin everyone's trip. It's something I'm happy I don't have to deal with.

#25 shadowspawn

shadowspawn

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

Kind of surprised that nobody has commented about benzene spill and exploding manholes in the streets.

It's interesting, that through many, many years I really have a hard time coming up with a bad experience at Otakon.

Probably the only thing I can think of was Otakon 2002 (I think it was) when Thursday night pre-reg pickup did not exist, and so there was a very longgggg slow-moving line wrapped around and around the convention center on Friday morning.

And then, it began to rain, and then pour, and then downpour, and on and on...

(Who else remembers this?).

Cosplayers were hysterical ("My costume is MELTING!!!!").

Staffers with umbrellas came out and offered instant admission to anyone who would agree to be a gofer. When folks began to take them up on the offer, people in the wet crowd began screaming "You're sacrificing your dignity and your freedom for a crust of bread! Are you not a man?".

Then the crowd began chanting "Storm the gates, storm the gates".

It's actually pretty funny in retrospect.

So, my worst experience at Otakon was funny.

Charles (but I go by "Chip") Nylander.

Gofer #1447

I wish that cats had hands.

#26 Duelistbluerose

Duelistbluerose

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

In 2008 I had an actual hooker curse me out in the elevator at my hotel.

I was cosplaying a Vampire Knight character and was going up to my room went an obvious hooker gets on the elevator with me (I am 100% certain she was not a cosplayer!) My eyes bugged out a bit cause I wasnt expecting this - and she took that the wrong way. She proceeded to scream: @#$&, what the @#$% are you staring at?! @#$% you wish you looked this good!! @#$%@%$$#%$^#$^!!!

My reaction was O.o as I ran out the elevator towards my hotel room. I laughed about it later, but at the time she could've shanked me if she wanted, lmao

#27 ctrlaltamanda

ctrlaltamanda

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

I know it saves money but its such a hassle dealing with people you've never met. Also, if I was a girl I'm not sure I'd want strange men in my hotel room either.... My group of friends have always roomed together and have really never had any major hotel-horrors to speak of. Screaming temper tantrums, calling the cops and locking yourself in the bathroom? Doesn't seem worth it to save a $100 or so dollars. Besides, that's the local processing fee at the Baltimore City Central Booking office anyway if said cops show up at your room Posted Image

Thing is though, we were all friends with the exception of the boyfriend. I had assumed he was cool (my fault, really) since I was really good friends with his girlfriend (and she had a no-nonsense personality before meeting this guy). So yeah, we don't typically let strangers in our room, I just did her boyfriend a favor by staying for Thursday night. Needless to say, never again.

#28 Clutch

Clutch

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

The Dealer's closet, and not being able to read the sub-titles.
Otakon attendee since 1994 Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 serel

serel

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

dealer's closet?

#30 lydiakate98

lydiakate98

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:10 AM

I always have a great time at the con but my least favorite outside experience came in one of the first couple of years at Otakon. There was a major traffic issue (might have been the year with the exploding manhole covers?) and whole sections of the Inner Harbor were shut down to cars. I was driving all three days by myself and ended up being detoured and missing the turn off. I drove through some very not nice places and it ended up taking about three hours to get home. I live 1 and 1/2 hours from Baltimore.

Also, when the Yankees played the Orioles a few years ago I remember everything being crowded. I was walking back to my hotel with my youngest brother and some drunk a**hole starts shouting and cursing a blue streak about the people in cosplay. My brother was 10 at the time, so I really could have done without the language and behavior.

Edited by lydiakate98, 20 June 2012 - 01:11 AM.

Lydia Meeks
Otakon Attendee since 1999
gofer 2010 (#145), 2011 (#127), 2012 (#127), 2013 (#127)
Staff Member, The Nook 2014

#31 Taylor

Taylor

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

3 years ago things going very bad in life.I had lost my job 3 days before and was down to my last 80 bucks JUST enough to get in and pay for parking. Got very depressed because I was alone in a huge crowd of people and realized I couldn't bring anything home even if I wanted. Had ZERO money to spend couldn't enjoy it as life sucked so bad. My will to live was about as low as it gets without doing the big stage dive and face plant off a balcony. It was so bad I couldn't even go on Sunday. Complete and total shut down I wound up walking the last 5 or 6 miles home because I ran out of gas just south of Aberdeen. At like 5 o'clock on Saturday

But I'm feeling MUCH better now.

Wow. That sucked. :(

Glad that you are feeling better now!
That's like buying a '94 Camaro and painting it pink.

#32 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Disciplinary Committee Chair

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

I've told this story enough, so I'll give y'all the short version: I showed up at my hotel in 2009 to find out another hotel that I'd canceled the resevations for through Passkey had taken $212 out of my account. I had to live off of $35 the whole weekend.

gama2014_zps45cead10.jpg

Otakon 2012: Moar Hype | Otakon 2011: This Moment

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John Bachman, Member '07, '09-'12]

2014 Cosplay:

Ira Gamagori (Original Honnouji Academy 3-Star Uniform)

#33 Hinano

Hinano

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

Kind of surprised that nobody has commented about benzene spill and exploding manholes in the streets.

It's interesting, that through many, many years I really have a hard time coming up with a bad experience at Otakon.

Probably the only thing I can think of was Otakon 2002 (I think it was) when Thursday night pre-reg pickup did not exist, and so there was a very longgggg slow-moving line wrapped around and around the convention center on Friday morning.

And then, it began to rain, and then pour, and then downpour, and on and on...

(Who else remembers this?).

Cosplayers were hysterical ("My costume is MELTING!!!!").

Staffers with umbrellas came out and offered instant admission to anyone who would agree to be a gofer. When folks began to take them up on the offer, people in the wet crowd began screaming "You're sacrificing your dignity and your freedom for a crust of bread! Are you not a man?".

Then the crowd began chanting "Storm the gates, storm the gates".

It's actually pretty funny in retrospect.

So, my worst experience at Otakon was funny.

Wait a minute I went to otakon 2002 and I don't remember this lolol! I do remember waiting like 2 hours in the "already pre-regged line" but I guess I got lucky and was mostly indoors so I have no idea what went on outside.

#34 vivids

vivids

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

My phone had an absolute horrible battery life last year, and it ended up dying pretty early into the evening on Friday night. My brother and I go to Otakon together, but then split up to meet up with friends/do our own separate activities. We had a designated 'meet up spot', but of course he never showed up on time, or 2+ hours after that time as well.

I was visibly upset, and almost began full out bawling at the BCC. I had nobody to talk to, I was tired, and I wanted to go home. I didn't even have enough change to use the payphone - I was 5 cents short. Desperate, I went to Guest Services and asked a staff member for some change to use. He went above and beyond and let me use his phone to make the call. I really wish I could thank that guy again and again and again for helping me out in such a rough spot.

Other then that - my first Otakon I had an incredibly horrible headache hit me out of nowhere on the Saturday of the con. That was a pretty awful experience.

#35 Clutch

Clutch

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

dealer's closet?

You had to be at the first Otakon to really understand it. The Dealer's Room was a small conference room with 2 rows of tables against either side. There were a few vendors, and it was a fully packed room. You couldn't get near the tables due to the big crowd. The con goers were packed in there like sardines. We referred to it as the Dealer's Closet, jokingly, after that. Maybe Daniel Perales can comment on it too.

Edited by Clutch, 20 June 2012 - 05:40 PM.

Otakon attendee since 1994 Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 Aux10

Aux10

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

Last year was not only my first year and con but it was also the first trip I have been on and planed completely by myself. Thanks to a whole month of hard work, deal hunting, and research my trip ran flawlessly and went as planed.

The worst experience I've had last year would have to have been with CES Security who last year held a special place in the hearts of many congoers.

Aux10's Words of con Wisdom:
6-8 hours of sleep a day keeps the nonconsensual planking away!
Help prevent premature nose death, take a soapy shower and use deodorant every day!
Instant Ramen is trash, eat REAL food!
Don't be a crumbly dry sponge, drink lots of water!

#37 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:22 PM

dealer's closet?

You had to be at the first Otakon to really understand it. The Dealer's Room was a small conference room with 2 rows of tables against either side. There were a few vendors, and it was a fully packed room. You couldn't get near the tables due to the big crowd. The con goers were packed in there like sardines. We referred to it as the Dealer's Closet, jokingly, after that. Maybe Daniel Perales can comment on it too.

Actually, I thought it was kind of "cozy", since I manage to go in when it was less crowded. Posted Image
Danny Perales
Attended every Otakon since 1994

#38 omghydeme

omghydeme

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

Otakon 2005.

I attended with two of my friends (Two of us were 15, one was 14). We lined up early for a panel and this guy next to us started talking to us. He looked pretty young and we all hit it off so we exchanged numbers and instant messenger names. We were naive and stupid. After the con, we conversed with him and soon found out he was 25. He seemed pretty harmless, all we talked about was anime and music we liked. He didn't send out any creepy flags until a few weeks later when he started asking if he could visit us and when we turned 18. At that point I tried to distance myself from him, which was good because a few weeks later he told my friend (the 14 year old) that he had been in jail for sexually molesting two of his cousins and he was on parole. We all decided not to talk to him anymore and blocked him. He proceeded to stalk and harass us for several years. Having his friends try to message us and even had his grandmother call our house repeatedly at one point. Eventually my mom answered before me and told her to piss off. He tried friending me on Facebook a couple months ago and one of my friends who attended the con/was involved with this whole thing sent him a long message saying never to contact us again, and any further attempts would be seen as harassment.

Creepy pedophile stalkers aside, all of my other Otakons have been fantastic.

#39 Aux10

Aux10

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

Otakon 2005.

I attended with two of my friends (Two of us were 15, one was 14). We lined up early for a panel and this guy next to us started talking to us. He looked pretty young and we all hit it off so we exchanged numbers and instant messenger names. We were naive and stupid. After the con, we conversed with him and soon found out he was 25. He seemed pretty harmless, all we talked about was anime and music we liked. He didn't send out any creepy flags until a few weeks later when he started asking if he could visit us and when we turned 18. At that point I tried to distance myself from him, which was good because a few weeks later he told my friend (the 14 year old) that he had been in jail for sexually molesting two of his cousins and he was on parole. We all decided not to talk to him anymore and blocked him. He proceeded to stalk and harass us for several years. Having his friends try to message us and even had his grandmother call our house repeatedly at one point. Eventually my mom answered before me and told her to piss off. He tried friending me on Facebook a couple months ago and one of my friends who attended the con/was involved with this whole thing sent him a long message saying never to contact us again, and any further attempts would be seen as harassment.

This is exactly why I never give my phone number to anyone I don't know. If they wanted contact info I just give them my old email which I rarely ever check anymore since it get spammed like 100 times a day.

Aux10's Words of con Wisdom:
6-8 hours of sleep a day keeps the nonconsensual planking away!
Help prevent premature nose death, take a soapy shower and use deodorant every day!
Instant Ramen is trash, eat REAL food!
Don't be a crumbly dry sponge, drink lots of water!

#40 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

My worst experience at Otakon?

I don't remember the exact year. Probably around 2002. It was about the time when Otakon had industry guests that were personal friends of mine (I'm not going to name them for their sake). So what's so terrible about that, you may ask? Well, It wasn't the Otakon staff, or the guests, but the bad experience came from a group of "self-appointed entourage" from the "Anime On DVD" forums, attaching themselves to the guests.

I mean it has gotten so bad that I couldn't get any closer than 9 feet from some of them, without one or two of them blocking my way and having the nerve to ask me want do I want with him/her/them.

It was until one of the guest recognized me and came over to me, and even at that time, the "entourage" tried to prevent us to meet. But once we were "face-to-face", things went kind of ok. I tried to ignore the rest of the group, which was pretty hard, because some of them tried to inject themselves into our conversations. This group even tried to follow us into the restroom at one point.

When two more of my friends showed up, we left the BCC to go to a local restaurant for dinner. Sure enough, some of the entourage followed us right up to the restaurant door. This is where we finally shooked them loose. One of my friends made an advance reservation for four (one of their friend later joined us). There were no room in the restaurant for others, since it was packed.

We all went back to our hotels without the group following us around that night.
Danny Perales
Attended every Otakon since 1994

#41 CocoFaerie

CocoFaerie

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

Prolly my worst experience wasn't in the con, but rather getting to and fro the most recent Otakon. It seemed like everything that could go wrong with the buses & trains did. and to top it off, I got real sick when I got home after the closing day.

Simply, I miss one bus Saturday night and almost the LAST bus thereafter, if it weren't for the @#%* that was going on there. Next morn, more issues with that same bus not being timely, and even more crazy @#%* that would get someone else locked up.

It surely felt a LOT worse than in the 14th Otakon in '07 when I threw up during a packed lolita fashion panel (thankfully I didn't blow the top until the bathroom), but there was a silver lining to that.

CocoFaerie's "To Buy" list: Fairy Tail (FT), Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (NDA) Blu-Ray, Accel World (AW), Super Robot Wars OG (SRW)

I'll see y'all again in August hons!

#42 omghydeme

omghydeme

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:42 PM

Otakon 2005.

This is exactly why I never give my phone number to anyone I don't know. If they wanted contact info I just give them my old email which I rarely ever check anymore since it get spammed like 100 times a day.

Yeah I mean, I'm older now and I would never do that. But I was a really stupid and naive kid back then. I'm just glad he doesn't know where I live, but I doubt he'll try to contact me again.

#43 itachiromeep

itachiromeep

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

Last year I broke up with an ex about a month or so before the con. I was still pretty chill with him and still talked to him a lot and I was really excited about showing him the con. I showed him the list of panels and what there was to do and asked him what he was interested in and wanted to go to but he told me he just was gonna go to what I wanted.I didn't him to follow me around the whole con, to which responded that he'd do that and make new friends and maybe find a new girlfriend. Even though I said that was okay with me he still ended up following me around sometimes. And annoyed me at everything that we went to together. I was grateful when he left the AMV 101 panel because he was getting confused because it was that annoying with hima making little jokes and snide comments and distracting me from what I was watching.

B. Lomotey
Gofer # 1501
---------------

Possible Otakon 2014 Costumes/Outfits
Schoolgirl!Angelic Buster - Maplestory

#44 AngelElli246

AngelElli246

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:05 PM

Both Otakon's I've been to so far haven't been too bad. Had con drama afterwards but the actual con was awesome. I will say though, Otakon 2011 was my "worst" so far

Let's start with the fact that my group abandoned me at the convention at 2:00AM on Friday and secondly, my phone died so I couldn't get in contact with them. While I was waiting for them to give me some sign they were still there, I met a guy I'll call C. C noticed my Bakura cosplay and I noticed his Shinjiro Aragaki cosplay so we started talking and it seemed okay...big mistake. Eventually my friends got in contact with me and told me they were back at the hotel, so I asked him to walk me back. We talked and I realized that he had a lot of issues and when I say a lot I mean A LOT. Now don't get me wrong, I don't discriminate issues like he had but it wasn't until later that it really became apparent. He walked me back and I didn't see him til Sunday and kinda was pressured to give him my phone number. After the convention was over, we kept in touch. Big mistake #2. After only seeing each other for 2 hours in person and skyping for a month, he confessed his undying love for me. This freaked me out because he wouldn't leave me alone for one second and if I ignored him, he would b***t on Facebook about it, and he was three to four years older then I was. I'm an adult yes, but that's over my age limit. Eventually the drama spread into November and he started to get really creepy but I didn't want to break contact with him because I figured it was because of his issues and I figured I could push past that. Eventually I met another man (my current and first boyfriend) and C went off the deep end and was trying desperately to "win" my heart back which he never had and would get mad if I mentioned the other man. In January he started saying bad things about me and eventually I did something, honestly I don't know what, that caused HIM to finally block me and we didn't talk for a good couple months until another friend of mine who he kept in contact with, told me all of the stuff he was saying about me and making himself look like the victim. I snapped and got back in contact with him to tell him off, but in the end, we became friends and we now talk without hassle. So in the end it worked out but still that was a pretty bad experience for me. It didn't help that it ran past the three day convention too. >.<

Otakon 2013 Cosplays!

Atoli: (.Hack//G.U.)

Minako/FeMC: (Persona 3 Portable) 
Mitsuru Kirijo: (Persona 3)

#45 MaryWesker

MaryWesker

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:42 AM

This was surprisingly a good experience for me as I was in the dealers hall and had just decided to get food not 10 minutes before all the chaos. So there I was getting Chipotle when I saw a sea of people storming the streets and thought to myself, "huh, that's not normal during this time even for a con." I told my friend something must have happened. We ate our food and asked a few that walked in what had happened and that's when we learned of the fire alarm incident. I was glad because after that every restaurant was completely packed and when I finished eating, the con was open again lol. I am one of the few that it didn't really bother Posted Image

Oh, and yes, I commend you on your fandom. I expect no less from the Otaku culture lol Posted Image

This happened to me too! I had just left with my con buddy for lunch; as we were walking down the street to the hotel, people started flooding out. We dodged the bullet there.

Otakon 2014

Meg 2.0 - Supernatural

Ruby 2.0 Supernatural
Mary Shepherd-Sunderland - Silent Hill 2
Alice Abernathy - Resident Evil Movie

Lilith (white dress) - Supernatural (tentative)

#46 onsenmark

onsenmark

Veteran Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

This was surprisingly a good experience for me as I was in the dealers hall and had just decided to get food not 10 minutes before all the chaos. So there I was getting Chipotle when I saw a sea of people storming the streets and thought to myself, "huh, that's not normal during this time even for a con." I told my friend something must have happened. We ate our food and asked a few that walked in what had happened and that's when we learned of the fire alarm incident. I was glad because after that every restaurant was completely packed and when I finished eating, the con was open again lol. I am one of the few that it didn't really bother Posted Image

Oh, and yes, I commend you on your fandom. I expect no less from the Otaku culture lol Posted Image

This happened to me too! I had just left with my con buddy for lunch; as we were walking down the street to the hotel, people started flooding out. We dodged the bullet there.

I didn't dodge that particular bullet. In fact, I was stuck in the BCC for a few minutes AFTER the fire alarm went off.

(Because you know, when nature calls... ^^;;;;; )

Edited by onsenmark, 24 June 2012 - 11:27 AM.

Give me cheese to go with my whine.

Thinking about Otakon 2014:

Franken Stein - Soul Eater(Saturday afternoon/evening only)

#47 lydiakate98

lydiakate98

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

I was napping in my car (why didn't we get a room?!) during the fire alarm and woke up just in time to be a gofer and help let people back in. It worked out well but that was the year I accidentally worked 24 hours instead of 18. Posted Image Oh well, c'est la vie. That otakon was the last year I went without a hotel room, since being without one was a terrible hassle. Since then I have booked passkey as soon as rooms open.

Edited by lydiakate98, 24 June 2012 - 11:34 AM.

Lydia Meeks
Otakon Attendee since 1999
gofer 2010 (#145), 2011 (#127), 2012 (#127), 2013 (#127)
Staff Member, The Nook 2014

#48 jtgamer

jtgamer

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

I got stuck in the dealers room when that alarm went off. Took a good 10 minutes to get out, but it was a very interesting otakon experience
------------------

past cons attended:
Otakon 2008, 2010-13; Anime USA 2008-2012; Katsucon 15-19

Otakon 2014 Hotel: Holiday Inn Inner Harbor biggrin.png (4th year)

#49 Saber-chan

Saber-chan

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

I think the only "bad" experience I've had is rooming with someone who can be a downer/was outgrowing Otakon (her words on teh latter). I don't know how many years she'd been going, but I'm sure it was near 10. Last year she was just... short tempered any time she was in the room toward the end of the con. Now some of it was because of issues with her knee, but I still think that some of it was uncalled for. One of our roommates, who we'd roomed with the previous year, always brings a video camera to record everything. And on the last day of con, she likes to get the rest of us to tell what we enjoyed about Otakon. The girl glared at the camera and said "nothing." I think she added something to that, but I can't remember. She also wanted to stay after the con had ended to attend religious services because she couldn't bother to get up for the early morning service. She didn't care what I did, but she was going, even though I told her I wasn't comfortable wtih it. I'm fine being in the city when the con's going on, but not after it ends. I'm not from a city and not used to it. Thankfully she decided not to in the end (she said she was too tired), but if she had gone, I had set up a ride home with another friend, just in case.

This year she's not attending so I won't have to worry about her. The other two girls I roomed with are returning again this year, and I added someone to replace her that won't be a downer. I love room hosting, but not if you're gonna be a downer. That's the only thing that I can think of that was bad for the 3 Otakons I've been to.
Otakon '12
Fri: Aaeru (Simoun; sibylla pilot, sibylla priestess)
Sat: Aaeru (Simoun; original green pilot suit)
Sat: Illyasviel casual (F/sn; photoshoot only)

#50 ADalton

ADalton

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

I always have a great time at the con but my least favorite outside experience came in one of the first couple of years at Otakon. There was a major traffic issue (might have been the year with the exploding manhole covers?) and whole sections of the Inner Harbor were shut down to cars. I was driving all three days by myself and ended up being detoured and missing the turn off. I drove through some very not nice places and it ended up taking about three hours to get home. I live 1 and 1/2 hours from Baltimore.

Also, when the Yankees played the Orioles a few years ago I remember everything being crowded. I was walking back to my hotel with my youngest brother and some drunk a**hole starts shouting and cursing a blue streak about the people in cosplay. My brother was 10 at the time, so I really could have done without the language and behavior.

I think I was there the weekend of the Yankees game, too. My friend and I were hassled by four drunken sports fans who had just come from the game. They kept "hitting" on us as we walked to our hotel, and we went through a key-card only entrance to the hotel to make sure the guys didn't follow us to our room. FYI, there's a major soccor game happening the Saturday of con weekend this year. Though not all sports fans are drunken louts, it's always safe to walk to and from your hotel with a friend or two and don't let any stranger follow you to your room.