Photo

What were your worst experiences at Otakon?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
157 replies to this topic

#51 Dian

Dian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:19 PM

My worst Otakon? It really wasn't that bad, but still.
Keep in mind, I'm already a very sensitive person by nature. It's stupid, but I cry too easily.

Three things. It was Otakon 2009.
- My Stepmother had just died. My real mother was never around, and she was more of a mother than my real one was. Her and my father were separated since I was little, but never divorced. She just started coming around about a year earlier, and.. yeah. Sorry, not trying to make this a pity story, but this kind of made generally me over-emotional through the whole thing, which made the other problems seem worse.

- I have some SERIOUS issues with my self-image. Still do to this day, but at that time, I was having a really rough time with it, and I suppose with my overall confidence. How is this relevant? Because the year before, I had met this guy. He said I was cute and stuff, which kind of shocked me. So, I got his number, messenger name and all that and we talked a bit until the next Otakon. Well, some time in between, he decided to message one of my best friends on MySpace and ask if she wants to be his "cosplay girlfriend." Which honestly, hurt. I felt like I could be forgotten so easily. So, Otakon 2009 comes around and he texts me, "Wanna meet up?" Of course, I'm still mad at him. So, I'm like, "Sure." We meet up, and I of course, I wouldn't smile. I just stood there and looked at him. He's like, "What's wrong? You're not even going to smile for me?" Then, I kind of told him off and we both said "Fine!" and walked away. So, I that made me upset. (Luckily, Jack Sparrow noticed I was really upset and almost crying, so we sat aside and he helped cheer me up. That's very special to me. <3) So, I just left the con early that day (Friday) and went to the hotel room, and cried myself to sleep.

- A friend got a hotel room. It was me, her and four other friends. Well, one friend got screwed over. She had to stay the night with a friend she met at the con because as much as she texted and texted the girl that booked the room, she wouldn't answer. She called her and the girl said, "SORRY, CAN'T HEAR YOU, I'M RAVING!" and hung up. I didn't even realize any of this had happened until the con was nearly over. I felt horrible. Now, those two friends absolutely hate each other (because of other reasons too, though). Also, the girl who booked the room.. her mom is a hypocritical Bible-thumper. And she, for unknown reasons, stayed the first night. I got to be preached to when I woke up the next day. Then, late on Saturday night, me and two of the friends were going to the room for the night. We needed a cab to get there, but no cash. So, we were sitting on the floor, a few feet away from where the girl who booked the room, who was sitting there talking to a guy. I crawled over to her and tapped her and tried saying "Hey ___, I'm sorry, but can we borrow some cash to get back to the hotel?", but she ignored me a few times before she turned around and was like, "What?!!" I told her what we needed and she's like, "Fine, here!!" I'm like.. "Okay.. sorry. I'll pay you back."

Ugh. uu; It sucked, but at the same time, it was an awesome con. I can't remember exactly why it was, but nonetheless, it was.

Otakon 2013 cosplay?

A Pirate.. just a pirate.

On of these days, I'll be an actual character...

#52 TimLaptopm101

TimLaptopm101

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Keep in mind, I'm already a very sensitive person by nature. It's stupid, but I cry too easily.

- My Stepmother had just died. My real mother was never around, and she was more of a mother than my real one was. Her and my father were separated since I was little, but never divorced. She just started coming around about a year earlier, and.. yeah. Sorry, not trying to make this a pity story, but this kind of made generally me over-emotional through the whole thing, which made the other problems seem worse.

- I have some SERIOUS issues with my self-image. Still do to this day, but at that time, I was having a really rough time with it, and I suppose with my overall confidence. How is this relevant? Because the year before, I had met this guy. He said I was cute and stuff, which kind of shocked me. So, I got his number, messenger name and all that and we talked a bit until the next Otakon. Well, some time in between, he decided to message one of my best friends on MySpace and ask if she wants to be his "cosplay girlfriend." Which honestly, hurt. I felt like I could be forgotten so easily. So, Otakon 2009 comes around and he texts me, "Wanna meet up?" Of course, I'm still mad at him. So, I'm like, "Sure." We meet up, and I of course, I wouldn't smile. I just stood there and looked at him. He's like, "What's wrong? You're not even going to smile for me?" Then, I kind of told him off and we both said "Fine!" and walked away. So, I that made me upset. (Luckily, Jack Sparrow noticed I was really upset and almost crying, so we sat aside and he helped cheer me up. That's very special to me. <3) So, I just left the con early that day (Friday) and went to the hotel room, and cried myself to sleep.

- A friend got a hotel room. It was me, her and four other friends. Well, one friend got screwed over. She had to stay the night with a friend she met at the con because as much as she texted and texted the girl that booked the room, she wouldn't answer. She called her and the girl said, "SORRY, CAN'T HEAR YOU, I'M RAVING!" and hung up. I didn't even realize any of this had happened until the con was nearly over. I felt horrible. Now, those two friends absolutely hate each other (because of other reasons too, though). Also, the girl who booked the room.. her mom is a hypocritical Bible-thumper. And she, for unknown reasons, stayed the first night. I got to be preached to when I woke up the next day. Then, late on Saturday night, me and two of the friends were going to the room for the night. We needed a cab to get there, but no cash. So, we were sitting on the floor, a few feet away from where the girl who booked the room, who was sitting there talking to a guy. I crawled over to her and tapped her and tried saying "Hey ___, I'm sorry, but can we borrow some cash to get back to the hotel?", but she ignored me a few times before she turned around and was like, "What?!!" I told her what we needed and she's like, "Fine, here!!" I'm like.. "Okay.. sorry. I'll pay you back."

Ugh. uu; It sucked, but at the same time, it was an awesome con. I can't remember exactly why it was, but nonetheless, it was.

this is a sad sorry. hopefully better things to come :)

#53 Aux10

Aux10

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

This song always cheers me up so I'll share it:

Don't forget to...
Posted Image

Aux10's Words of con Wisdom:
6-8 hours of sleep a day keeps the nonconsensual planking away!
Help prevent premature nose death, take a soapy shower and use deodorant every day!
Instant Ramen is trash, eat REAL food!
Don't be a crumbly dry sponge, drink lots of water!

#54 serel

serel

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

...and eat a heart lol (what anime is that?)

#55 Aux10

Aux10

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

...and eat a heart lol (what anime is that?)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/kanamemo

Aux10's Words of con Wisdom:
6-8 hours of sleep a day keeps the nonconsensual planking away!
Help prevent premature nose death, take a soapy shower and use deodorant every day!
Instant Ramen is trash, eat REAL food!
Don't be a crumbly dry sponge, drink lots of water!

#56 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Disciplinary Committee Chair

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:15 AM

That's right. No matter how bad things might get... this is Otakon, guys. Just forget the drama, nerd it up, and have fun! That's what this weekend is all about!!

gama2014_zps45cead10.jpg

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John B., Member '07, '09-'12, '14]

Fanvideos:  2014 | 2012 | 2011

#57 KSweeley

KSweeley

Otakon Staff since 2010, Otakon Attendee since 2001.

• Otakon Staff
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

It's not stupid that you cry easily and that you are a overly sensitive person by nature, many people are. I am a sensitive person myself. That's a pretty sad story but I really hope that your future Otakons will be better than 2009. I've had some pretty fun experiences and some pretty lousy ones, I've had more fun experiences than lousy ones, more fun ones that I can't really remember any of my lousy ones, however I am looking for friends to chat with so I'm not really that bored during the time after Otakon, I hate not having many people with common interests (anime, video games, manga, etc.) to chat with during the year after Otakon and that Otakon is the only time of the year that I really have to chat with people who have common interests that I have.

One of my more lousy Otakons is 2011, I lost my job earlier in the year through no fault of my own in my opinion so I was literally broke so I was worrying about my living situation during Otakon so that was really weighing on me so I felt pretty bummed out during Otakon that I had no money at all to spend at Otakon and no spending money in general, I was on staff so others also noticed and tried to cheer me up which helped a little but not that much. I still don't have a job which sucks because I don't think I will have any spending money again for this year's Otakon, but I will do my best to work as hard as I can as staff this year and try to make new friends.

Kun Sun Sweeley (KSweeley) | Otakorp, Inc. Voting Member 2010-15 | Otakon 2015 Staff - ????? Division - ????? Department |Otakon 2014 Staff - Exhibitions Divison - Art Show Department | Otakon 2013 Staff - Member Relations (formerly Member Services) Division - General Staff Department, Otakon 2011-2012 Staff - Programming Division - Otachan Department, Otakon 2010 Staff - Staff Relations Division - Staff Pool Department | (former Gofer 2004, TCG 2005-06, 2008, Tier 2: 2009 #403) | Otakon 2001-2014 Attendee | Chat with me on AIM: WeezingPok | Add Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ksweeley/ | Add Me As a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ksweeley

#58 Scorpion89

Scorpion89

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:03 PM

Well aince I have been going since 96 I can say I really haven't had any bad things happen the eyar the Yankees were in town we got som interestig looks and comments, as a Group Photographer well I have had some bad experienes the past three year I have done the Hetalia Group Shoot and every year it seems we have a few folks who get to much heat last year I threaten to cut two girls who were cosplaying Germany and Prussia out of there cosplay because they had started to go into heat stroke (not cool for everyone). Over the years I have dealt with Photobomber I don't mind if you bomb a group shoot but if I'm doing a private shoot that a person ispaying me to do well I can get a tad cranky.

Over all I've genrally enjpyed my time at allof the Otakons each year there are new friends and meetig up with old friends and as a Tog I always look forward to what everyone is Cosplaying.I can say this over the years the quality of Cosplay Costume has jump 1000%.

#59 legalesey

legalesey

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

Otakon 2005.

I attended with two of my friends (Two of us were 15, one was 14). We lined up early for a panel and this guy next to us started talking to us. He looked pretty young and we all hit it off so we exchanged numbers and instant messenger names. We were naive and stupid. After the con, we conversed with him and soon found out he was 25. He seemed pretty harmless, all we talked about was anime and music we liked. He didn't send out any creepy flags until a few weeks later when he started asking if he could visit us and when we turned 18. At that point I tried to distance myself from him, which was good because a few weeks later he told my friend (the 14 year old) that he had been in jail for sexually molesting two of his cousins and he was on parole. We all decided not to talk to him anymore and blocked him. He proceeded to stalk and harass us for several years. Having his friends try to message us and even had his grandmother call our house repeatedly at one point. Eventually my mom answered before me and told her to piss off. He tried friending me on Facebook a couple months ago and one of my friends who attended the con/was involved with this whole thing sent him a long message saying never to contact us again, and any further attempts would be seen as harassment.

Creepy pedophile stalkers aside, all of my other Otakons have been fantastic.

Hot damn, that is terrifying. I'm so sorry! Σ(-`Д´-ノ;)ノ

I really haven't had any terrible experiences at Otakon except for one year when the con just wore down my immune system and I ended up getting sick - my friends and I were driving back and forth from DC, and it just became too much. Luckily, last year and this year we've booked hotels, so that hopefully shouldn't happen again!

For creepy pedophile guys, I had a scary experience at Katsucon once. My friend Melissa and I were only 14, and we stopped at the Subway to get some sandwiches when some guys came over and asked us to eat with them and grab a smoke. My friend didn't understand what was going on, but I grabbed her and said, "Let's go to the McDonald's instead," after saying no to the guys. More of my friends and another friend's dad were in the McDonald's, but what was creepy was that the guys followed us into the McDonalds, and only backed down once they saw we were in a huge group.

Ugh. I'm thankful I haven't had any more experiences like that one.

#60 Jairen

Jairen

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

i got a few, but none overly bad.

1. Went with a few friends one year, and this one started bad but went alright (there were other issues but forums not a place for airing part 2.) basically got dumped off to fend for myself the weekend with no interaction from the people I came with. It was kinda overwhelming at first. But ultimately worked out awesome as it offered a better chance to meet all kinds of interesting people, some of which I'm still talking to.

2. friend of mine called me having massive anxiety, not like normal bad anxiety but like the full on stopped eating, dropped tons of weight freak outs, to the point that her parents were calling me during the con too and stuff, so i got to spend like almost 4 hours of my saturday on the cell phone walking around the top level of the BCC.

3. Days Inn Glen burnie... travelocity sort of lied about their star ratings. It was an utterly disgusting roach motel type place, found giant dead bugs under furniture, outside was covered in stink bugs, and drunks and empty food containers everywhere. It was so bad one of the nights we just stayed up and drove around til the con started the next morning.

4. before i rebuilt the motor in my civic, it had some kind of cooling problem, and we overheated in 90 degree weather in the middle of rush hour traffic coming out of baltimore. You know its bad when you can just set the fan to run all the time and have it cool off. It was BAD. finally got off the highway and i got it fixed up, but i thought i was gonna blow the headgasket on the highway, that's not a job i want to do that far away from home nor empty my bank account out to have someone do for me. (when it would take me a few hours and a 30 dollar part at home to do)

most of my other memories have been excellent. please come bug me this year so I can make some new ones, so many of my friends have fallen out of the hobby.

The Legend

Writer For http://www.lostgamerscomic.com check us out and keep watching for new comics!

Cosplay 2013:
Kraft Lawrence - Spice & Wolf
Ken Masters (Alpha version) - Street fighter
Terry Bogard - Fatal Fury/King of Fighters/CVS2
Kouhei - Tsukuyomi Moonphase
Yuji Sakai (Bal Masque ver) - Shakugan no Shana

Mifune - Soul Eater

#61 BLX

BLX

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:49 PM

The only few bad exerperiences that I had were focused on the people I went with.

However, one year I fell down the steps on the way to the artist/dealers room. That was fun
I lost my handmade Raenef V plushie last year. Guess someone really liked him.
I missed a lot of the events in 2010 because the Holiday Inns elevator was broken, and we had 9 flights of stairs to climb.
The hotel bathroom door at Holiday Inn kept getting stuck or won't close all the way.

The best experience was when I won the Kanon raffle. Oh, and getting great deals in the Artist Alley.

Shawna Phelps

Staff (2013) : Member Relations - Registration & Programming - Otachan

Attendee 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Art History Buff and Baltimore Local :)

#62 Jin Kisaragi

Jin Kisaragi

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

Well, this wasn't just at Otakon. But I'll tell the Otakon parts. I had ( or possibly even still have ) a stalker. Last time I was at Otakon, I was chased in a parking lot while wearing a Kigurumi Pajama thing of Rilakkuma the bear. I ran really fast and since he was really heavy set, I must have lost him. I don't normally run and all, but being in danger gives you a rush!

Also, I was wearing a cute lolita dress and I was going up either steps or an escalator. I don't remember because this happened on two occasions at two different cons. Any ways, the same guy got behind me and reached under my dress both times, so now I get freaked out and look around.

And I know it was the same guy. I have a pretty good photographic memory. And the first time he harassed me... I was in a crowd and he said some... well, very vulgar things to me, and I got lost in the crowd thank goodness! But I've seen him at a lot of different cons. One time I was going to get some kind of staff while he was around, but there wasn't anyone there... so, I had to run away...
"Lets... have some more fun, Ragna!" <3

#63 Bl2w

Bl2w

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

Well, this wasn't just at Otakon. But I'll tell the Otakon parts. I had ( or possibly even still have ) a stalker. Last time I was at Otakon, I was chased in a parking lot while wearing a Kigurumi Pajama thing of Rilakkuma the bear. I ran really fast and since he was really heavy set, I must have lost him. I don't normally run and all, but being in danger gives you a rush!

Also, I was wearing a cute lolita dress and I was going up either steps or an escalator. I don't remember because this happened on two occasions at two different cons. Any ways, the same guy got behind me and reached under my dress both times, so now I get freaked out and look around.

And I know it was the same guy. I have a pretty good photographic memory. And the first time he harassed me... I was in a crowd and he said some... well, very vulgar things to me, and I got lost in the crowd thank goodness! But I've seen him at a lot of different cons. One time I was going to get some kind of staff while he was around, but there wasn't anyone there... so, I had to run away...

I always feel terrible reading stories like this; it's the kind of thing that keeps some people from ever going to conventions--whether they had done so previously or never at all~

| Check out my studio, KyokoPro Studios, on Facebook, deviantART, & YouTube~! |

#64 MisterSniper

MisterSniper

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

That's crazy and creepy....sucks that it happened to you

#65 wolfy2005

wolfy2005

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:10 AM

The worst thing that I ever experienced at Otakon since I started going in 2009 was catching the Con Plague after last year's con. Was holed up for almost a week.

#66 Fadamor

Fadamor

This title space for rent! Reasonable rates! Ask within.

• Veteran Members
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

The worst thing that I ever experienced at Otakon since I started going in 2009 was catching the Con Plague after last year's con. Was holed up for almost a week.

Ahhh! The Plague! Good Times, good memories! Posted Image
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs

Edited by Fadamor, 28 June 2012 - 08:51 AM.

#67 bloomkb

bloomkb

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Last year, I went to Otakon with a friend a few years younger than me last year. She's an only child, and her parents tend to spoil her a bit. I had a clearly planned schedule on the panels I wanted to go to, but apparently she didn't have the same interests as me. So, instead, I had to go to every panel she wanted to go to. :/ sure, some of them were okay, but I missed out on a lot of things. :c

Posted Image

You cant resist this.

#68 YukiBee

YukiBee

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

Nothing bad happened to me so far during otakon *fingers crossed for this year* Posted Image However there was one incident where I went to go eat with a friend at five guys and while I was eating a girl came by with two big drinks and spilled it all over me Posted Image she didn't even apologize and ran away as fast as possible awkward... other than that I still love otakon and I can't wait for this years one! Posted Image

#69 MaliceAlice

MaliceAlice

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

I'm sorry dear that's terrible. If that ever happens to you again and there is no staff around make a scene. Scream things like "Don't touch me there I don't know you and that's sexual harassment." If you make a scene people will notice when people notice he'll stop. Or if he dosn't stop, for some reason, a staff member who you might not have noticed at the time could hear you and come and get rid of that creeper.

#70 OtakonOtaku

OtakonOtaku

Seasoned Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:55 PM

The year with the evacuation I came back to the building with a group of people and waited by the door that is next to the inside fountains. Not only were people shouting memes in my ear and I'm about 5'2 so we are standing on the line right in front of the door. I'm ON the line no one is in front of me. as soon as the door opens everyone pushes in. Now I hat being in cramped places with people SO I'm panicked because there are so many people pushing, my feet are off the ground, I was practically carried unwillingly inside. Why can't people walk properly?

Lesson learned: DON'T be the first at the door ; or pick a smaller one.
That is tame compired to others
Gofer 1017 ( 2013) Vanessa

2014Cosplay line up

Thursday Peach Maki
Friday AM -Noibat PM- Some vocaloid >_<;
Saturday AM Luna (Sailor moon) Human PM - Casual Lolita
SATURDAY August 9th is international Casual Lolita Day!
Sunday Casual Lolita

#71 sukibeth

sukibeth

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Nothing terrible. Usually Otakon is the highlight of my summer, so I work through it all.

2004 (first convention):
- Only went for Friday so I missed the L'Arc concert (and I quote, 'Oh maybe they'll have a big group like that next year...')
- Missed the last light rail that went to Penn Station so I had to walk with my friend to the station alone, at around 11pm. Of course we got lost and had to ask for directions. Not sure what that guy was trying to sell us out of his shopping bag...

- Missed the convention all together! (sadface Posted Image )

Otakon 2010:
- Nearly passed out from heat stroke while waiting for Pre-Reg (Water folks. Lots and lots of water)
-Fire Alarm
-Contact ripped, so I had to walk around only being able to see out of my left eye most of the con.

Sooo, nothing too too bad! Posted Image

Beth Campbell

~ 2013-2014 Maid Cafe Staff ~
~ 2011 -- Gofer #138 : 2012 -- Gofer #307 ~ || Otakon Attendee since 2004 ~

#72 Sozuke

Sozuke

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

I have had a few bad experiences but they have never ruined or dampend the experience,

otakon 10, their was a con-goer dressed as a zombie, he was being annoying and grabbing and attacking? other people.and you could tell everyone was not enjoying the act he was putting on. So I stepped in and told him to back off or I will call security. I was walking away and he started running towards me acting like a idiot so I grabbed his arm and flipped him. I crounched down and said to him that was his last warning and walked away. I saw him again later but he hurried away when he saw me.

my experiences last year: I was talking to a girl who was dress as luka megurine and she had done a really good job on her costume and I was commplementing her on it and getting some tips on costume ideas when her boyfriend walked up and started mouthing off at me because I was talking to his girlfriend. I said I was complenmenting her on her costume and he didn't need to be pairanoid about it. For some reason he took offense to it and tried to punch me. He missed and I pushed him against the wall and locked his arm. I told him I was just talking to her and he did not need to be so worried about people stealing his girl away. I let go and apologized to his girlfriend and him for my actions and walked away. I was trying to be nice and a gentleman but in the end I always seem to attract violence.

#73 Jin Kisaragi

Jin Kisaragi

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I'm sorry dear that's terrible. If that ever happens to you again and there is no staff around make a scene. Scream things like "Don't touch me there I don't know you and that's sexual harassment." If you make a scene people will notice when people notice he'll stop. Or if he dosn't stop, for some reason, a staff member who you might not have noticed at the time could hear you and come and get rid of that creeper.

Oh! That is a good idea! I guess at the time I was too scared to think about anything. If something like that happens again, I'll remember this good advice!! Thanks so much!!!
"Lets... have some more fun, Ragna!" <3

#74 Sozuke

Sozuke

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:48 PM

Oh! That is a good idea! I guess at the time I was too scared to think about anything. If something like that happens again, I'll remember this good advice!! Thanks so much!!!

Wait a minute....I remember seeing this one guy stalking alot of girls and being a real jerk. he was heavy set, and he was doing and saying inapproiate things to almost every girl he saw. He always seemed to follow people, I wanted to confront him but i knew i would have probably been kicked out so I went to one of the workers and gave them a heads up. I haven't just seen him at otakon but at a few other conventions.

#75 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Disciplinary Committee Chair

• Veteran Members
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

Scream things like "Don't touch me there I don't know you and that's sexual harassment."

Instructional Film:

gama2014_zps45cead10.jpg

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John B., Member '07, '09-'12, '14]

Fanvideos:  2014 | 2012 | 2011

#76 KSweeley

KSweeley

Otakon Staff since 2010, Otakon Attendee since 2001.

• Otakon Staff
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

O.O If that happened in a parking lot and you had a cell phone on you, you should have taken out your cell phone and immediately dialed 911 and requested the police and described the person to the 911 operator or if you didn't have a cell phone on you, look for a police officer and report the incident to the police since that happened outside the convention and then when you returned to Otakon, report it to the info desk and tell the info desk that you also reported the incident to the police as well.

Kun Sun Sweeley (KSweeley) | Otakorp, Inc. Voting Member 2010-15 | Otakon 2015 Staff - ????? Division - ????? Department |Otakon 2014 Staff - Exhibitions Divison - Art Show Department | Otakon 2013 Staff - Member Relations (formerly Member Services) Division - General Staff Department, Otakon 2011-2012 Staff - Programming Division - Otachan Department, Otakon 2010 Staff - Staff Relations Division - Staff Pool Department | (former Gofer 2004, TCG 2005-06, 2008, Tier 2: 2009 #403) | Otakon 2001-2014 Attendee | Chat with me on AIM: WeezingPok | Add Me On Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ksweeley/ | Add Me As a Friend on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ksweeley

#77 legalesey

legalesey

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Nothing terrible. Usually Otakon is the highlight of my summer, so I work through it all.

2004 (first convention):
- Only went for Friday so I missed the L'Arc concert (and I quote, 'Oh maybe they'll have a big group like that next year...')
- Missed the last light rail that went to Penn Station so I had to walk with my friend to the station alone, at around 11pm. Of course we got lost and had to ask for directions. Not sure what that guy was trying to sell us out of his shopping bag...

- Missed the convention all together! (sadface Posted Image )

Otakon 2010:
- Nearly passed out from heat stroke while waiting for Pre-Reg (Water folks. Lots and lots of water)
-Fire Alarm
-Contact ripped, so I had to walk around only being able to see out of my left eye most of the con.

Sooo, nothing too too bad! Posted Image

Oh goodness, I notoriously have contact problems, so I always pack two pairs extra when I go on any trip just to be safe!

#78 lunastar

lunastar

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

last year i convinced a friend to come along with us, becuase though he's not really into anime, i knew it would be his kind of thing. he had such an open mind, he asked for some suggestion of newer shows to watch, so he'd aleast have an idea of what was going on. i suggested hetalia, and he watched the whole series on the ride down. needless to say he had a fantastic time, except for his gf. she didn't want to come, "because it looks lame" (her words), but doesn't like to be left out of anything, so even though she didn't come with us, she kept calling him and bugging him and asking when he was coming back and what he was doing. so my bad experience is more that i felt bad for him and the fact his gf was bugging him so much.

this year she's decided to come with us. he promised me if she gets out of hand and annoying, he'll deal with her. i've been going for a couple of years now and have never had anything that i'd call bad, just some "exciting adventures." hopefully this year is still awesome, because after reading over this thread, i'm more nervous now to bring her than i was when i agreed to it!
i'm a tomato where ever i go ;)

#79 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

I have had a few bad experiences but they have never ruined or dampend the experience,

otakon 10, their was a con-goer dressed as a zombie, he was being annoying and grabbing and attacking? other people.and you could tell everyone was not enjoying the act he was putting on. So I stepped in and told him to back off or I will call security. I was walking away and he started running towards me acting like a idiot so I grabbed his arm and flipped him. I crounched down and said to him that was his last warning and walked away. I saw him again later but he hurried away when he saw me.

my experiences last year: I was talking to a girl who was dress as luka megurine and she had done a really good job on her costume and I was commplementing her on it and getting some tips on costume ideas when her boyfriend walked up and started mouthing off at me because I was talking to his girlfriend. I said I was complenmenting her on her costume and he didn't need to be pairanoid about it. For some reason he took offense to it and tried to punch me. He missed and I pushed him against the wall and locked his arm. I told him I was just talking to her and he did not need to be so worried about people stealing his girl away. I let go and apologized to his girlfriend and him for my actions and walked away. I was trying to be nice and a gentleman but in the end I always seem to attract violence.

Cool story bro...

protip: "flipping and locking" peoples arms are a sure fire way to get you and your tough guy act kicked from the con real quick, so I wouldn't attempt to go and actually do anything you quoted in your story if I were you.
Looking for a room? We can find one for you.
https://docs.google....1o1ZUE6MQ#gid=0

#80 MisterSniper

MisterSniper

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Lmao, had to laugh at your response to this one.

Cool story bro...

protip: "flipping and locking" peoples arms are a sure fire way to get you and your tough guy act kicked from the con real quick, so I wouldn't attempt to go and actually do anything you quoted in your story if I were you.

#81 Sozuke

Sozuke

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Cool story bro...

I do not plan to do that stuff sometimes its just a reaction. I really did not feel like being hit by the guy nor messed with by zombie dude. And unfortunatley i did not get the chance to walk away. I really hate to deal with situations in that manner but sometimes it just happens. I hopefully won't repeat what i have done previously.

#82 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

I do not plan to do that stuff sometimes its just a reaction. I really did not feel like being hit by the guy nor messed with by zombie dude. And unfortunatley i did not get the chance to walk away. I really hate to deal with situations in that manner but sometimes it just happens. I hopefully won't repeat what i have done previously.

I am still highly doubting this actually happened because, personally, someone pushing me up against the wall is going to earn you a knee to your junk.

Second, if some guy is so pissed off because you are talking to his girlfriend, BS that he is just going to let you go just like that.

Third,

So I stepped in

Not planning it, but putting yourself in the situation huh? Lose the hero act, if violence is truly following you, I have a hunch you are escalating situations you should have just gotten staff and kept your nose out of other people's business

#83 Dostovei Illuminas

Dostovei Illuminas

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

The Kouta Hirano autograph session a few years back was probably my worst experience. There were several hundred people all crammed into the autograph area and we waited for a good 2-3 hours before finally being informed by staff that the session was over and we weren't getting any signatures. There were a lot of angry people, myself included. IIRC it ended up being because Hirano wanted to do sketches for everyone and that took a really long time, so only a few people were able to actually get in to see him. Luckily though I haven't had another experience like that since... Not yet anyway.
Faster than a berserking EVA-01, more powerful than a Psyco Gundam Mark II, able to leap Zentraedi battlecruisers in a single bound, I am a Mechaboy!

The general rule about people seems to be Attractive, Interested, Mentally Stable, Single: Choose two.

<JtotheD> do you even know what mecca is
<Loopy1> yea
<Loopy1> a robot that people fight in

#84 SanjiX

SanjiX

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:01 AM

Oh boy, "bad" Otakon experiences. First of all, Otakon is a massive convention so if you never been to anything this big, expect at least a few things not to go as planned. Some of you did have some terrible things happen, and man, I do feel for you. The rest that were minor issues, I'd say are all learning experiences. Posted Image

Otakon '09 - This was my first Otakon. The night before a good friend of my that was going to go with me got in an accident and totaled his car (he was ok) but of course, he obviously couldn't go. I literally had hours to find a friend to go with me. Thankfully, a friend of my was on summer break and I paid his way because I didn't want to go to this for my first time alone. With the exception of being a little lost in the convention center, I had a good time.

Otakon '10 - The friend that got in an accident last year was able to go this time. We went with a friend of ours, and a friend of my. Without going into too much detail, we had some personal disputes here and there, but I feel for people's privacy I'll keep what exactly happened mostly to myself. All in all, communication between other members in your group is key (having no texting on my phone was also a huge issue at the time, which is now resolved, thank god). Overall, I got a lot of stuff, and had a good time.

Otakon '11 - This was the first Otakon I went alone to for a day. It was interesting to say the least... I had a good time. Having the freedom to do whatever you want is great, but having no one with you at a huge convention does actually get lonesome after a few hours. The next day the friend I went with from '09 drove down so Saturday/Sunday wasn't so bad. The only issue I had was my hotel overcharging me for a second room that I never even had (all because I listed I'd have a second guest in MY room! O_o) which took me a whole month to finally get resolved. For anyone that's curious, it was the Raddison, which had great everything (including decent WiFi in rooms), but it just required me to make several phone calls. =S

Otakon '12 I think I have everything set and I'm doing some heavy planning once the Guidebook schedule hits (which I hope is very soon). Remember, a bad Otakon only means a better Otakon for later. Don't make a few bad experiences make you think that Otakon is bad altogether. Being in as I call "convention mode" made smaller things like Magfest for me a breeze. (FYI: Otakon '09-'12 and Magfest '12 are the only convention things I've ever been to, I need to get out more)

Attended Otakon 2009-2013. Follow (stalk) me on Twitter! http://Twitter.com/ssj_chris

#85 JoshM76

JoshM76

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:26 AM

Well it was in otakon but didn't involve the staff or the con its self. well sort of. NOT STAFF. it was the day when someone pulled the fire alarm and the whole building was evacuated. I was in the hilton part seeing a panel for stephanie sheh & then vic mignogna afterwards same room. the only thing was we didn't know what was going on outside. and when i called my sister asking if she had her camcorder she said it was back at our hotel the sherton that was about 6 blocks up and 2 over i think?

so guess what i did? it was my first con meeting and seeing vic so i was so excited i had to go and get the camera. only to find out EVERY entrance to the hilton was closed off because of all the people from the con crowding the streets. i found a way out and told the door man i would be back and he said okay they would let me back in. so i ran those 6 blocks or so in cosplay up the streets to my hotel passing all these rude people making fun of me saying aren't you a little too old to wear a costume in the summer or what the *beep* are you suppose to be and the occasional laughs. people these days but whatever i digrest.

I get to the hotel and of course everyone from the con thinking well its not going to be open anytime soon and all they need to make sure its safe so lets head back to the hotel. with only 20 min or so to spare i ran up about 7 flights of stairs (since the elevators were all filled and too slow at the time) grabbed the camera being out of breath. ran back down the stairs and back to the hilton. they almost didn't let me in. there was a HUGE line outside the panel doors for vic but everyone in there because of all the situation outside got to stay in the room. i told them i just ran out like 10 min ago to grab my camera and i was lucky enough they let me back in. that was m exercise for the day and how much of a fan i am to anime. lol thank you xD

I will reply on the part of the rude people that were talking about our cosplay...I was in my zombie cosplay..and when they look at me then there was a hobo that freaked the heck out because he saw me stolling past him. Yea I rather stay in my character i was at a safe area anyways so I was alright. Other than that I would say that there were the annoying drunk people hanging along outside Otakon that wasnt Con-Goers...that was my annoyance..inside the Con I keep hearing the "I LOST THE GAME" that needs to stop it was getting too old :(

#86 Azri23

Azri23

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:41 AM

Since I started attending Otakon in 2006, I've only really had 2 bad experiences.

1. We shared a room with friends once... Did not go well. They were unused to how things work at a convention, so they stayed up late, slept in, and missed a bunch of things they wanted to see. Then they were somehow surprised when the convention wouldn't reschedule things for them. They also insisted on going to specific restaurants at times when they weren't open, and ended up missing meals left and right. Throw in the way they kept adding people to our room (by taking them from whatever other rooms they were *already* in...), and we've decided to never do that again =P. I believe it was 2008.

2. Then, in 2010, we went to meet up with friends at a photo shoot, since we planned to go grab a late lunch together. Apparently they ran off to grab lunch on their own shortly after we greeted them, as about 20-30 minutes of waiting for them in direct sunlight later, the photo shoot dispersed, and no one remembered seeing them. Being rather sensitive to sunlight, it was long enough for me to get sun poisoning, and I missed Sunday completely.

Though it wasn't all bad. The excessive sun exposure also left me super-wired, so I was unusually awake and restless that night. I went back to the convention center to look for something to attend, and ended up catching my first Cosplay Burlesque show =). It was great, and I discovered that I had run into (in a very literal sense...) one of the performers earlier in the day. That made the whole "hey, I ran into that girl earlier" moment all the more priceless =P. So it all worked out quite well, even though the sun-induced high wore off a few hours later, and shortly after, I could finally feel just how sick I was, so I was tossed into a car, and spirited away =P.

#87 BlindSavior

BlindSavior

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

I can't quite remember what year it was, probably between 2005 and 2007, I was coaplying as Rip Van Winkle from Hellsing.

In the canon, she is a nazi, so I brought two medallions for her character. One of a smiley face and the other of the character-accurate swastika, the latter of the two I only put on for photo shoots for people familiar with the character.

My girlfriend at the time was cosplaying Schrodinger, who did not have the foresight to remove her armband immediately after photos.

We were sitting on the top floor near the escalators on Sunday morning, just hanging out with a group of Hellsing cosplayers and relaxing on the last day of the con. This guy and his mom came up to us, screaming about how we were hateful pieces of ---- who should go die. Naturally, I was stunned that he wouldn't draw the natural conclusion that convention = cosplayers.

Before we could really react, he ran off down the escalators and I chased him down in a huff. I was very emotional and volatile since my relationship with my girlfriend was teetering on the edge, so admittedly, I said some very coarse things to him. He and his mother ignored my prescence entirely and left the convention center, with me shouting "It's a costume, not my personal ideals!"

I was very emotional for the rest of the day, I couldn't stand to ever wear that costume again.

However, a little silver lining.

Just as we were going to leave the convention center after closing ceremonies, a stranger in street clothes stopped us. He explained that he was that guy's brother and apologized profusely for the way he'd acted towards us. He asked us about our costumes and we explained thoroughly. If nothing else, at least that guy that screamed at us might think twice next time he screams at someone at a con. What about characters that wear the left-facing swastika that stands for prosperity and peace? I doubt most people know the difference.

I still haven't worn that costume again, nor do I ever plan to. Learned my lesson!
Past costumes:
Spoiler

#88 Wonnykins

Wonnykins

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

I have to say that I haven't had many bad experiences, and I'm rooting for a swell time this year, too. I have to say that the experience over all has been better since I switched the friend I roomed with. I used to room with one of my best friends, since we were all into hawt bishie yaoi desu, and we used to do quite well. The last year I went with her, I believe in 2009, was when things finally broke off between us.

The year before she had broken off the friendship with my other best friend completely due to a discrepency over sexual preference. As a result, I had to tread lightly between them, and it wasn't any different at the convention. We ended up rooming with some fantastic people we found on these very boards and bringing along another of our friends. It was around this time I found out she has some seriously big problems in the social department. She and our other friend barely socialized with these people at all, so when it was time for us to head into the BCC, we split off from them.

The problem arose when I figured out that my two friends were terribly awkward around others. At first I'd joke around and keep pace with them so that they'd relax, but gradually it became akin to having a ball and chain, and I hate referring to them that way. They did NOT want to leave my side for any reason, and we were all roughly the same age. I felt bad because I felt like they were bored with what I wanted to see, and when I turned to them to ask if they wanted to do something else, they shrugged and mumbled it was fine.

Things hit the fan later on. I went to a Pokemon photo shoot (as Gary) and met up with an awesome Red cosplayer. We hit it off rather well (we're still friends!) and I wanted to hang out with her. When I didn't leave the shoot soon enough, my friend finally got fed up and left with our other friend. We didn't see much of each other after that. Sunday I ended up hanging out with Red during a panel until I had to leave back for home. My best friend and I haven't spoken much since, and I started to plan on rooming with my other best friend for the con from then on. I hate describing her like that, because she and I were very close and I'm still fond of her, but I honestly didn't and still don't need to be chaparoned or feel like I need to baby sit others. If you don't like what I'm doing, it's a huge convention center: go do something else that makes YOU happy.

Last year was pretty great, though. Red roomed with us, so we derped around for as long as she was there until she became sick. I felt terrible for her because she then had to go straight home due to some personal issues, and I moped a lot. I can't say I've had anything worse then any of that, though, so cheers! Here's to this upcoming Otakon.

I co-write a webcomic! To read it and view more information, go to:

http://pineapple-soda.smackjeeves.com/

Cosplay for 2014:

- Ms. Finster (Recess)

- Muriel (Courage the Cowardly Dog)

- Cherry (Studio Killers)

Due to the popularity we had in 2013, details on The Cupcake Stop are coming for 2014! Keep an eye out for our hotel and floor number, and stop by before and during the raves! Our cupcakes are FREE, so grab a snack before getting your dance on!

#89 serel

serel

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

I can't quite remember what year it was, probably between 2005 and 2007, I was coaplying as Rip Van Winkle from Hellsing.

In the canon, she is a nazi, so I brought two medallions for her character. One of a smiley face and the other of the character-accurate swastika, the latter of the two I only put on for photo shoots for people familiar with the character.

My girlfriend at the time was cosplaying Schrodinger, who did not have the foresight to remove her armband immediately after photos.

We were sitting on the top floor near the escalators on Sunday morning, just hanging out with a group of Hellsing cosplayers and relaxing on the last day of the con. This guy and his mom came up to us, screaming about how we were hateful pieces of ---- who should go die. Naturally, I was stunned that he wouldn't draw the natural conclusion that convention = cosplayers.

Before we could really react, he ran off down the escalators and I chased him down in a huff. I was very emotional and volatile since my relationship with my girlfriend was teetering on the edge, so admittedly, I said some very coarse things to him. He and his mother ignored my prescence entirely and left the convention center, with me shouting "It's a costume, not my personal ideals!"

I was very emotional for the rest of the day, I couldn't stand to ever wear that costume again.

However, a little silver lining.

Just as we were going to leave the convention center after closing ceremonies, a stranger in street clothes stopped us. He explained that he was that guy's brother and apologized profusely for the way he'd acted towards us. He asked us about our costumes and we explained thoroughly. If nothing else, at least that guy that screamed at us might think twice next time he screams at someone at a con. What about characters that wear the left-facing swastika that stands for prosperity and peace? I doubt most people know the difference.

I still haven't worn that costume again, nor do I ever plan to. Learned my lesson!

yeah, my friend is in love with Hellsing and really loves Rip Van Winkle and Schrondinger, she even remembers the song. Tho sometimes I think she could stand to be a little bit more tactful considering she does it in public on occasions. unfortunately, i don't think general public knows the difference since anything remotely swastika = nazism. even tho i know it's cosplay and from hellsing, we do have to be careful where we tread even at an anime con, b/c harsh fact a lot of ppl r still sensitive to all that happened during the war. tho u did do the right thing removing it after shoots.

Edited by serel, 06 July 2012 - 10:31 PM.

#90 SecretivePunch

SecretivePunch

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:12 AM

My only true bad experiences during Otakon were sort of out of my control...

In 2010, I had never even heard of Otakon until one of my friends brought it up that some friends of hers were going. I had never been to an anime convention so I was excited to go. My friend and I roomed with a group of people we knew from high school. We were both 17 at the time and my parents were skeptical with me going to a big city for 3 days with a bunch of kids who were barely older than we were. Luckily, they trusted me enough to let me go and they told me that if anything happened that I wasn't really comfortable with they would pick me up immediately. AND BOY DID **** HAPPEN.

On Friday afternoon, I was just doing my own thing when I saw one of the kids from the group sitting somewhere and crying because apparently she had gotten ditched or something and was without a cell phone. So I let her call our group on the phone, listened to her cry/yell at them, and asked if she wanted me to stay with her. She said she was fine so the rest of the day went off without a hitch and I really enjoyed myself.

Later that night, the same girl had invited some people over to our hotel room, without permission, and the girl who booked the room had what I believe was a panic/anxiety attack of some sort from having too many people there. She was crying and hyperventilating which freaked me out because I knew this girl from high school and I had never seen her like that. I had always known her to be a pretty docile girl not that I knew her very well anyway. It was apparently so bad that they had to call paramedics to come to the hotel and take her to the hospital. In addition to her panic/anxiety attack, she also hadn't been eating or drinking enough from what everyone else told me. She stayed in the hospital for the rest of the weekend.

On Saturday night something happened which freaked me out even worse. I had gone to the hotel to call it a night since the only thing still going on was the rave, which I don't really do, and I wasn't old enough for any +18 activities. (It can sometimes suck having a late birthday. With mine being in September, I was closer to 18 than I was to 17!) Later that night, one of the other girls in the group was taken to the room by a group of her friends. She was hysterically crying and obviously drunk. I watched uncomfortably from an armchair in the corner of the room as she preceded to cry, cuss out her friends and throw up several times into a garbage bin. This went on for an hour or so before she finally went to sleep. It felt like much longer than that.

Thankfully nothing happened on Sunday and my parents never knew about anything that happened other than the one girl going to the hospital. If they had known about the other incident, I don't know what they would have done! But beside all of that, due to these incidents I was able to have a bed each night, get peaceful sleep and shower without having to worry about everyone else. Silver lining I guess.

Needless to say, I would not room with those folks again for a while. Too much drama and stress for me.

In 2011, I got wise and got my own hotel room after the semi-hellish experience the previous year.

Thankfully, none of the craziness which happened in 2010 happened because this was a more sensible and mature group of friends. The only bad thing actually happened to one of my friends. For the whole three days, she got so caught up in doing everything that she didn't leave time for herself to eat or drink much of anything. So every night when we left for the hotel, she felt pretty sick and out of it. When we would get food for her, she would just crash and fall asleep before it arrived and she could eat it. For the weekend she was fine.

About a week or so later after the con, one of my friends called and told me she had been taken to the hospital in critical condition. We found out later that she had been diagnosed with a rare blood disorder called TTP and this is what caused her to go to the hospital. She ended staying there for a few months and even had to take a semester off from school for recovery. From what I read about TTP, flareups are sudden and can be unpredictable but I'm sure the 3 days of hardly eating/drinking didn't help. My group and I still sort of feel guilty about that. But she's all good now.

Other than that, on Sunday when it was time to go home, we had trouble finding the right bus stop to get us to the Greyhound station. We sat in the heat at the wrong bus stop for a good hour before we figured out that the sign for the bus stop was flat out wrong and we moved to the right one! But we made it there to catch our bus on time and got home safely.

This year, I'm grouping with a friend and some folks we found on the boards to share our room. So it's pretty much up in the air how my experience will go. But I do believe it's funny that for my group, I'm sort of the "Master Planner" for the hotel arrangements and, because of my late birthday, I'll actually be the youngest in the room. (The only 19 year old in a group full of 20 somethings.) Go figure.

Here's to hoping that this year doesn't involve anyone going to the hospital! *finger crossed*

(After all, I am two for two. If it turns into three, it probably means I'm cursed) DX

#91 BLX

BLX

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

I have a worst travel experience. It happen in 2010. I spent most of that summer down in New Orleans visiting my mom, and somehow, we booked my train ticket back to Baltimore on Badge PickUp Day. I was really stressed by this because my group told me that if I didn't get my badge that day, they weren't going to wait in the hell Friday line. Lucky, the train pulled in at about 8/10 AM that morning. Bad news: the train ride was 27 hours, traveling through all the southren states, and I barely got any shuteye. Didn't help that a mother and her two rowdy kids shared the row with me (the horror).

The train pulls up and I head home to take a quick shower, ate some food, and unpack and repack my suitcase. At about 12:30 my friends were waiting in the pre-reg line, so I met up with them. I was giddy with excitement, lightheaded with lack of sleep and sore from the train's seats. When I got home at 5 PM, I crashed and didn't wake up until my alarm went off at 5AM Friday. FInished packing my suitcase and went to the hotel at 6:30 am.

After all that, I had a pretty decent con. Well, except my bunkmate had night terrors so whenever the bed shifted violently, I went all ninja and rolled my butt outta bed. My advice: Make sure to get proper sleep. Esspecially if you're someone who is traveling a good distance to the con.

Shawna Phelps

Staff (2013) : Member Relations - Registration & Programming - Otachan

Attendee 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Art History Buff and Baltimore Local :)

#92 evaunit01berserk

evaunit01berserk

Want to make a contract?

• Veteran Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

Things hit the fan later on. I went to a Pokemon photo shoot (as Gary) and met up with an awesome Red cosplayer. We hit it off rather well (we're still friends!) and I wanted to hang out with her. When I didn't leave the shoot soon enough, my friend finally got fed up and left with our other friend. We didn't see much of each other after that. Sunday I ended up hanging out with Red during a panel until I had to leave back for home. My best friend and I haven't spoken much since, and I started to plan on rooming with my other best friend for the con from then on. I hate describing her like that, because she and I were very close and I'm still fond of her, but I honestly didn't and still don't need to be chaparoned or feel like I need to baby sit others. If you don't like what I'm doing, it's a huge convention center: go do something else that makes YOU happy.

Last year was pretty great, though. Red roomed with us, so we derped around for as long as she was there until she became sick. I felt terrible for her because she then had to go straight home due to some personal issues, and I moped a lot. I can't say I've had anything worse then any of that, though, so cheers! Here's to this upcoming Otakon.

I think you really need to go talk to your "best friend", because I have a funny feeling they feel like they are being pushed out by this "red" person....which you really seem to be focusing all your attention on and depriving your other friend. I honestly don't find her behavior odd at all considering what you described, you pretty much ditched her.

#93 TomDent

TomDent

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but I just remembered something about last year's Otakon that really bugged me (the problems in my previous post weren't really about the con itself, but this one is). When I went to see the FMA movie, I couldn't read the subtitles at all. As far as I could tell, there really weren't any cosplay outfits in the way (everyone wearing an outfit seemed to take their headgear off for those sitting behind them) but I still couldn't see the subtitles because of people sitting directly in front of me. I know that it's hard to do a showing like that because it's just a flat room, not theater style seating and the screen was already up to the ceiling so you couldn't move it up any higher, but maybe staggering the rows of seats might help. That way, you wouldn't have a person directly in front of you, you'd be looking between two people and the next row up might be far enough that you can see. It might help and it might not, just an idea.

Edited by TomDent, 10 July 2012 - 10:34 AM.

"I never say how I feel. I just smile and do what I'm told." -NGE: Angelic Days
"I will demand the impossible from you! I will demand the irrational! But in the end, you will thank me..." -NGE: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project
"To be a boy is to be a fool. And being a fool is pure bliss." -FLCL

#94 Sailor Andromeda

Sailor Andromeda

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

This this this! Not all of us staff wear our staff shirts the entire weekend (I tend to cosplay when "not working"), so we may not be obvious. But believe me, if I hear people shouting, I check what's going on! You poor thing though, I REALLY hope that doesn't happen again!

Liz Cutler
Opening/Closing Ceremonies; Online Registration Team

Previously Masq and Hall Costume Contest staff
Attendee 2001-2004; Staff 2005-07, 2011-14

#95 Matsumoto Rangiku

Matsumoto Rangiku

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

I've only been to otakon once in 2010, but nothing really bad happened. Even the fire evacuation was just funny. I did however see a couple of assholes (likely 4channers thinking they were funny) jumping into the indoor fountain and splashing a group of pokemon cosplayers who were taking pictures there. That kind of behavior disgusts me.

Edited by Matsumoto Rangiku, 11 July 2012 - 02:49 PM.

#96 Makaimi

Makaimi

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

This this this! Not all of us staff wear our staff shirts the entire weekend (I tend to cosplay when "not working"), so we may not be obvious. But believe me, if I hear people shouting, I check what's going on! You poor thing though, I REALLY hope that doesn't happen again!

I like the sound of that. Going undercover and what not in cosplay. That's pretty neat.

#97 lunastar

lunastar

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet or not, but I just remembered something about last year's Otakon that really bugged me (the problems in my previous post weren't really about the con itself, but this one is). When I went to see the FMA movie, I couldn't read the subtitles at all. As far as I could tell, there really weren't any cosplay outfits in the way (everyone wearing an outfit seemed to take their headgear off for those sitting behind them) but I still couldn't see the subtitles because of people sitting directly in front of me. I know that it's hard to do a showing like that because it's just a flat room, not theater style seating and the screen was already up to the ceiling so you couldn't move it up any higher, but maybe staggering the rows of seats might help. That way, you wouldn't have a person directly in front of you, you'd be looking between two people and the next row up might be far enough that you can see. It might help and it might not, just an idea.

i ended up leaving the screening early b/c i couldn't read and lost the plot for a while. the people in front of me kept bobbing their heads around trying to see around the people in front of them, and i was so far back in the room, it didn't matter which way i leaned, i couldn't get a clear look at the screen. honestly, i'm not sure there is any way the chairs could have been arranged that would have made things work. people kept moving their chairs around to get a better view, so however the chair were put at the start of the showing, they were miles away by the end.
i'm a tomato where ever i go ;)

#98 MaryWesker

MaryWesker

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

My worst experience wasn't the fault of the con, but a bad choice of roommates and a severe arthritis flare. Long story short, my arthritis flared a week before the con and continued to get worse until the week after. The new doctor I was seeing didn't give me the right medication to control the flare/pain/swelling (leaving me to go the entirety of my trip, 4 1/2 days, without any relief and the meds made me nauseous all weekend) And the roommate who wasn't very understanding, got angry at me about it when I had to stay behind at the hotel a few times and leave a gathering early because I couldn't walk or stand without crying.

Needless to say, I'm rooming alone this year and I've started a new medication that has helped a lot in the last month. I'm really looking forward to a fun con experience (being able to move around without pain and hang out with friends) this year!

Otakon 2014

Meg 2.0 - Supernatural

Ruby 2.0 Supernatural
Mary Shepherd-Sunderland - Silent Hill 2
Alice Abernathy - Resident Evil Movie

Lilith (white dress) - Supernatural (tentative)

#99 SanjiX

SanjiX

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

i ended up leaving the screening early b/c i couldn't read and lost the plot for a while. the people in front of me kept bobbing their heads around trying to see around the people in front of them, and i was so far back in the room, it didn't matter which way i leaned, i couldn't get a clear look at the screen. honestly, i'm not sure there is any way the chairs could have been arranged that would have made things work. people kept moving their chairs around to get a better view, so however the chair were put at the start of the showing, they were miles away by the end.

I somehow got in like the 5th-7th row and I agree, the line (crowd) for that movie was insane. It got pretty hot due to all of the people being so close together and it felt so good when we finally got in that room to cool off. I read somewhere either here or on ANN (one of the Otakon guys might of said this) but apparently it would of costed them too much to use a second HD/Widescreen screen so the room where Trigun/Haruhi was shown got the HD treartment while FMA was stuck on old school 4:3 which likely squished the subtitles due to it originally being in widescreen. I'm slowly starting to become nearsighted, but I could read them just fine.

All in all, this FMA movie was pretty "meh" in my opinion. It's entertaining and keeps you watching until the end. I just wouldn't of went in there expecting something new or amazing, as the movie was an obvious cash in and felt way different than the Brotherhood anime did, not to mention it was an entirely different animation style from that anime as well.

Attended Otakon 2009-2013. Follow (stalk) me on Twitter! http://Twitter.com/ssj_chris

#100 TomDent

TomDent

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

I somehow got in like the 5th-7th row and I agree, the line (crowd) for that movie was insane. It got pretty hot due to all of the people being so close together and it felt so good when we finally got in that room to cool off. I read somewhere either here or on ANN (one of the Otakon guys might of said this) but apparently it would of costed them too much to use a second HD/Widescreen screen so the room where Trigun/Haruhi was shown got the HD treartment while FMA was stuck on old school 4:3 which likely squished the subtitles due to it originally being in widescreen. I'm slowly starting to become nearsighted, but I could read them just fine.

All in all, this FMA movie was pretty "meh" in my opinion. It's entertaining and keeps you watching until the end. I just wouldn't of went in there expecting something new or amazing, as the movie was an obvious cash in and felt way different than the Brotherhood anime did, not to mention it was an entirely different animation style from that anime as well.

It was actually kind of funny for me. It was the last time they showed it (me and my friends missed the first showing and it wasn't listed to be shown again). There was supposed to be some other movie shown (can't remember what it was) but when i got seated (in the back half of the room) I noticed that it seemed way too crowded. Then the FMA movie began and I started frantically texting my friends to get over there before they missed it again. One of my friends was at the end of the row, so he got to see it all, but I had a really tall guy in front of me who even had to move around just to read the subtitles. I stuck through it though and hope to actually see it soon.
"I never say how I feel. I just smile and do what I'm told." -NGE: Angelic Days
"I will demand the impossible from you! I will demand the irrational! But in the end, you will thank me..." -NGE: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project
"To be a boy is to be a fool. And being a fool is pure bliss." -FLCL