Photo

Otakon 2012... now on to 2013! 20th Year Anniversary!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:17 PM

2012 was amazing, and a great year, but the question on everyone's minds...

WHEN IS OTAKON 2013!!! :D

Had to leave early for the first time in years and missed closing ceremonies. So as a favor for all fans, whoever visited that panel please post the dates for next year. Thank you and thanks to everyone for making this year awesome!

#2 w-deremer

w-deremer

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

2012 was amazing, and a great year, but the question on everyone's minds...

WHEN IS OTAKON 2013!!! Posted Image

Had to leave early for the first time in years and missed closing ceremonies. So as a favor for all fans, whoever visited that panel please post the dates for next year. Thank you and thanks to everyone for making this year awesome!

As I was unable to attend this year, I want to also know when Otakon 2013 is scheduled, and also, when the hotel reservations will open up on Passkey. If Staff or an attendee can answer the 1st question (and only Staff can answer the 2nd of course) I'd appreciate it!

Later,
Bill DeRemer

Attendee/Member: Katsucon 5 (1999), Otakon 1999-2007 and 2009, New York Anime Festival 2007-2009 and New York Anime Festival / New York Comic Con 2010! Hope to see y'all at Otakon again soon!

(RIP New York Anime Festival, as you have now been permanently merged into NYCC)

NOTE: I am NOT Otakon Staff. The views expressed in this post may or may not reflect the views of Otakon Staff & Otakorp, Inc.

#3 RTeker

RTeker

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

NO.. for all thats ever asked, DON"T leak any info about passkey untill the hotel deals are made. Why you may ask, lets look at what happened once at least. Passkey info was leaked via a staffers facebook page before it was posted to the Ota website and before anyone could get a cheap close hotel (like me as one of the many) they were all booked prior toOta getting more rooms at close htels reserved.

Edited by RTeker, 29 July 2012 - 04:34 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Metalgearryan

Metalgearryan

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Also at opening cerimonies they said there would be a special announcement at closing. Any o e know what it was?

#5 KyoKyo

KyoKyo

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Otakon 2013 will be from August 9-11 as confirmed at the con-feedback panel.

"I've been playing with Leah Clark's wenis all weekend"- Chris Rager

Convention Tally
AnimeNEXT 2006
Tekkoshocon 2007
Otakon 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012
NekoCon 2010, 2011

NekoCon 2014: The Emperor's Royal Guard, Return of the Jedi. 

#6 Fadamor

Fadamor

This title space for rent! Reasonable rates! Ask within.

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Also at opening cerimonies they said there would be a special announcement at closing. Any o e know what it was?

I was there. There is going to be an Otakon Music Festival in November. Three acts are confirmed (one apparently was at Otakon in 2006). More details in August and tickets are to go on sale at the beginning of September. Proceeds will go to charity.

And Kyokyo posted the other thing I was going to post. August 9 - 11, 2013 for the 20th Anniversary Otakon.

Edited by Fadamor, 29 July 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#7 Hanadatora

Hanadatora

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

According to ANN it will be a music festival

with

JAM Project

Faylan

, and

Natsuko Aso

on November 3.

Read more at http://www.animenews...lfOAuiwcjh1F.99

No matter where you go, there you are.

#8 w-deremer

w-deremer

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

NO.. for all thats ever asked, DON"T leak any info about passkey untill the hotel deals are made. Why you may ask, lets look at what happened once at least. Passkey info was leaked via a staffers facebook page before it was posted to the Ota website and before anyone could get a cheap close hotel (like me as one of the many) they were all booked prior toOta getting more rooms at close htels reserved.

I would not expect them to give any info on Passkey until the deals are made. All I wondered is if they could say, for example, "The hotels will be open on Passkey at XXXXXX time on XXXXXX date," and make sure that they do NOT get posted early and possibly ask the hotels not to honor the rate if someone calls them directly before that set time/date....

At least having the con dates is helpful.. will have to check back daily to see if Passkey is up, then.

Later,
Bill DeRemer

Attendee/Member: Katsucon 5 (1999), Otakon 1999-2007 and 2009, New York Anime Festival 2007-2009 and New York Anime Festival / New York Comic Con 2010! Hope to see y'all at Otakon again soon!

(RIP New York Anime Festival, as you have now been permanently merged into NYCC)

NOTE: I am NOT Otakon Staff. The views expressed in this post may or may not reflect the views of Otakon Staff & Otakorp, Inc.

#9 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

I'm pretty curious about what it is. They announced the Kickstarter game they wanted to develop for next year, but it would be cool if they were making Otakon jerseys for the general otaku oor even just something like announcing a new logo design.

Also, just for those who enjoy the Metal Gear Solid series and enjoy that our resident otaku Otacon (a name directly based off of Otakon, Snake's friend and support), the new Fox Engine is in its final stages of completion. How AWESOME would it be if the next Metal Gear game was announced AT Otakon? I think there is a forum post for all the above, but as a fan, I would be more than honored and humbled to see something like this at Otakon next year. :3

EDIT: My phone posted after everyone, but thanks for the confirmations everyone! :3

Edited by Duelit, 29 July 2012 - 05:27 PM.

#10 Redr(@se

Redr(@se

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for posting the dates. I stayed for closing ceremonies, but missed the feedback. Here's to an awesome time next year!!!
----------<---(@
Excited about Otakon since 2000.

#11 TnAdct1

TnAdct1

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

When it comes to the Passkey, I personally won't expect it to be up this week, since it'll probably be too early for hotels to start taking reservations for next year's Otakon.
Joseph Klemm
Maryland/DC Con Vet since 2001.

#12 Eddie 2

Eddie 2

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Great thread! Yes everyone please don't leak the Passkey, that was insane what happen last year.
Otakon attendee since 2004

#13 Litwolf

Litwolf

Otaku

• Otakon Gofers
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:24 AM

Ah yes, I remember the Great Passkey Leak of last year. The tears, the bloodshed, the cries for vengeance...

Thanks for sharing the dates! I'll keep my eyes open for Passkey on the Otakon site.
Otakons Attended: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013

Also an attendee of San Diego Comic Con, Dragon*Con, MAGfest, Katsucon, Philadelphia Comic Con, AwesomeCon, Annapolis Comic Con

Erin G
Gofer #1177 (2013)

#14 SanjiX

SanjiX

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

Yes. I second the thanks for the dates as well! They usually reveal it and the estimated con attendance by yesterday but I guess the con staff are really busy this year. I also want to keep an eye out for the passkey opening date... I was told by a friend to sign up as soon as you leave but I have no idea when Passkey usually appears. Is it literally after the con or a few months later? I think I found a thread that posted it in February here but please correct me if I'm wrong. =)

Attended Otakon 2009-2013. Follow (stalk) me on Twitter! http://Twitter.com/ssj_chris

#15 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Great thread! Yes everyone please don't leak the Passkey, that was insane what happen last year.

Thanks for posting the dates. I stayed for closing ceremonies, but missed the feedback. Here's to an awesome time next year!!!

Glad everyone is enjoying the thread! If anyone else has any information pertaining to Otakon 2013, it would be awesome if you posted it here or any thread it relates to in the Post Otakon 2012 since it pretty much counts for our Otakon 2013 thread at the moment. :3

Hope everyone had a safe trip home yesterday and enjoy the rest of your summers!

Edited by Duelit, 30 July 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#16 ebichu

ebichu

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thanks for the dates! Going to put in my request for time off when I get back to work tomorrow. ^_^
There was a guy killed on my street and the outline is still there...we could play hopscotch?! - - Creepy Suzie

#17 vivids

vivids

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Exciting! I just got confused here and thought it was going to be from Thursday-Sat, instead of Friday-Sun. Turns out I was looking at 2012, not 2013. /stupid

Edited by vivids, 30 July 2012 - 01:57 PM.

#18 BLX

BLX

Otaku In Training

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

Thnks for the dates! Hoping to attend next years con, the great aniversary!

Shawna Phelps

Staff (2013) : Member Relations - Registration & Programming - Otachan

Attendee 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Art History Buff and Baltimore Local :)

#19 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

Keep spreading the news around! It should help those who want to plan ahead, take vacation days, save up funds, or even those who just want to be in the know so they can tell their friends! As for me, I'm getting my group informed and starting to check out if there are an outstanding events happening in that time frame around Otakon! You never know what you might find. We checked and got 6$ Steaks at Houlihan's one night and had lunch for free as part of Restaurant Week among other things! It all benefits the city and contributes to our reputation there.

In other news, be sure to look for the upcoming Kickstarter, the first game of its kinda to be made for a convention the fans, Otakon's own Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon! by Studio Nasu!
Featuring music by Eyeshine, Jake "Virt" Kaufman, DJ Cutman, Inverse Phase and more!
Story by Dave Lister, Martin "Little Kuriboh" Piers Billany, Fred Gallagher and more!
And the best part about this project is that WE get to shape it. Its still in Alpha, so there's a year of work we can put into it!
Have any novel ideas? Post them in the General section of the board and we can start putting ideas down!

Keep up the awesome work and spread the news! Otakon, 9-11th August 2013!

#20 QuinnTheSpazz

QuinnTheSpazz

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

And Next year will actually be the first year my friends and I can go all three days! What a year to start that off with!

We've already got our cosplays planned XD

Otakon 2014 cosplay plan(s) (as of now): (yes I know it's early but I don't care!)

Friday: Tsukitachi from Karneval
Saturday: Kaito Jeanne from Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne (gonna have a Kaito Sinbad and possible Noin Claude with me!)
Sunday: Ayato Naoi from Angel Beats (Possibly with an Otonashi and/or a Yui!)

#21 Saber-chan

Saber-chan

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:04 PM

I think I'm kinda :/ on the dates for next year, though I'm glad it wasn't a week later because teachers start back the 3rd week of August here and missing opening day would not be a good thing at all. Actually, I wouldn't even know if I'd be able to get out of going to that. Of course, with next year's being the second weekend of August, that really will be the end of summer for me for once. XD
Otakon '12
Fri: Aaeru (Simoun; sibylla pilot, sibylla priestess)
Sat: Aaeru (Simoun; original green pilot suit)
Sat: Illyasviel casual (F/sn; photoshoot only)

#22 crowcatalyst

crowcatalyst

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:30 AM

In other news, be sure to look for the upcoming Kickstarter, the first game of its kinda to be made for a convention the fans, Otakon's own Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon! by Studio Nasu!
Featuring music by Eyeshine, Jake "Virt" Kaufman, DJ Cutman, Inverse Phase and more!

Oh wow, DJ Cutman!? I am interested now.

|| Otakon 2014 ||

young!King of All Cosmos (We <3 Katamari)

#23 crowcatalyst

crowcatalyst

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

Besides the DJ Cutman response, I would like to say thanks for the dates. I just informed my boss I'll be off work starting on the 8th and returning the 13th. I planned to go this year, but my girlfriend and I sadly had to cancel hotel reservations and focus on saving up for an apartment... which we didn't get yet, but it's in progress. As for Otakon 2013, I'm saving starting this next paycheck and booking a hotel as soon as they are available through Otakon's site. For years I've wanted to have a chance at the Days Inn, so maybe this year will be the year... I can only hope.

|| Otakon 2014 ||

young!King of All Cosmos (We <3 Katamari)

#24 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:49 AM

I hope you get it as well! We've been at the Day Inn since my second Otakon, and I can tell you its the best place to stay at hands down. Hopkin's Grill has a breakfast buffet with an Otakon special pricing so you can prepare yourself for the day and the staff is extremely friendly too.

Also, for those interested, check out the Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon Thread to submit ideas for the upcoming 2013 20th anniversary game. Any idea will be looked at and posted on the Kickstarter once it's available so be sure to give some crazy ideas or even some old school, nostalgic ideas that you found fun in those types of games :3

http://board.otakon....showtopic=23479

#25 Joe Foering

Joe Foering

Dark Prince of Baltimore

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

I was there. There is going to be an Otakon Music Festival in November. Three acts are confirmed (one apparently was at Otakon in 2006). More details in August and tickets are to go on sale at the beginning of September. Proceeds will go to charity.

And Kyokyo posted the other thing I was going to post. August 9 - 11, 2013 for the 20th Anniversary Otakon.

Actually, there were *two* special announcements made at CC. The other announcement was that next year will see the return of Mystery Anime Theater 3000 for "One More Time." We haven't yet decided what title we're doing, and we're not even sure where Otakon will put us, but it is official that MAT3K will perform at Otakon 2013.

Tell your friends!
Joe Foering -- jfoering@gmail.com
Unofficial Keeper of Institutional Memory
2011 Comptroller, Otakorp, Inc.
2003 President/Con Chair
LARP DH, 1997-2002, 2004-2010
Lots of other Ota-Jobs over the years as well...

#26 Cyanna

Cyanna

Otaku In Training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Actually, there were *two* special announcements made at CC. The other announcement was that next year will see the return of Mystery Anime Theater 3000 for "One More Time." We haven't yet decided what title we're doing, and we're not even sure where Otakon will put us, but it is official that MAT3K will perform at Otakon 2013.

Tell your friends!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

My first Otakon was the year you riffed Crusher Joe. I have yet to see any MST-style panel come close to being as good as the show you guys did.

#27 OtakuKyanto

OtakuKyanto

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

They had a few announcements.
1. Studio Nasu is in the process of making an Otakon video game. No, seriously!
2. Next year comes the return of Mystery Anime Theater 3000, which they haven't done in over a decade (?)
3. There will be an Otakon Music Festival in November at Rams Head Live in Baltimore; Otakon members get a discount on tickets.

Tell your friends!

Does MAT3k have the MST3k cast? Because when they were presenting the announcement, the Powerpoint said something about Crow and Tom Servo. But I'm not sure....

#28 aliruth1

aliruth1

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

I certainly hope these new dates don't interfere with me going to college next year.
I'm planning big things already for next year.

Otakon 2013
Thursday: Bittersweet Lolita
Friday: Galatea from Claymore
Saturday: Galatea from Claymore
Sunday:  Yachiru from Bleach

Message me if you have any photos of a Maka or Zatsune from Otakon 2012. That might be me!
Thanks!

#29 Daisuke Uchiha

Daisuke Uchiha

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Question! What's this Passkey you all speak of? XD
Otakon 2012 cosplays:
Rangiku Matsumoto (Bleach)
Neji Hyuga (Naruto Shippuden)

NARUTO AND BLEACH GATHERING AND PHOTOSHOOT GROUP ON FB!!!!
COME JOIN!!!!!!!!
http://www.facebook....95923020445489/

If you wanna talk more with me before the con and stuff add me on facebook- Jessica Kitty Perez
I'd like to have more friends to talk to! And say that you're from the Otakon website so I don't ignore your request! XD

#30 Fadamor

Fadamor

• Veteran Members
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

Tell your friends!

Yeah, My brain was in neutral for a day trying to remember the second announcement. It suddenly popped into my head about five minutes ago, but I see you've already corrected the deficiency. (Why I can't remember things one day, then have it come right up the next day when I try... My brain is freaking mysterious!)

#31 Fadamor

Fadamor

• Veteran Members
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:35 PM

It's the site that handles the hotels for Otakon. When you click on the link to make a reservation from the Otakon website, Passkey is where you are sent to. Check the Otakon Website for announcements as to when it is ready to start taking reservations for Otakon 2013.

#32 Daisuke Uchiha

Daisuke Uchiha

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

It's the site that handles the hotels for Otakon. When you click on the link to make a reservation from the Otakon website, Passkey is where you are sent to. Check the Otakon Website for announcements as to when it is ready to start taking reservations for Otakon 2013.

Okay! Thank you!
I had gotten my hotel on priceline so i could lean either way in booking for next year.
Though for next my goal is to try and get a hotel that's closer to the con. The hotel I stayed in was torture to walk to and back from the con.
Otakon 2012 cosplays:
Rangiku Matsumoto (Bleach)
Neji Hyuga (Naruto Shippuden)

NARUTO AND BLEACH GATHERING AND PHOTOSHOOT GROUP ON FB!!!!
COME JOIN!!!!!!!!
http://www.facebook....95923020445489/

If you wanna talk more with me before the con and stuff add me on facebook- Jessica Kitty Perez
I'd like to have more friends to talk to! And say that you're from the Otakon website so I don't ignore your request! XD

#33 GasparAKAShiggitay

GasparAKAShiggitay

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

This year's con was totally amazing for me. I met some amazing people, and achieved my goals of attending the JDF and Hirano Aya QnA panels, as well as the frickin' awesome Hirano Aya concert to top it all off! It's gonna be hard to beat for me. Otakon 20 (2013) had better have an amazingly hard to get musical guest (hint hint DAI / Utada Hikaru etc hint hint), but even without such I'll totally attend again. I love Otakon. Good friends, good times. ^.^ Keep it up!

#34 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,918 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Clarification: we didn't say that the proceeds will go to charity: we said that we'd probably have a charity item as well. Most likely the official t-shirt, but we're still sorting that out.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)