Photo

"Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon" Official Thread

Crisis Heart Clash at Otakon Studio Nasu Otakon Game 2013

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:59 PM

Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon

Otakon XStudio Nasu

Idea & Discussion

Thread

Hosted by Duelit :3

This thread will cover news on the game, provide fan feedback, and assist in letting the community at large participate in the creation of the game.

Introduction and Rules

For those of you who may not be aware of it, at the Otakon Opening Ceremonies this year, we were introduced to Studio Nasu, who made a very big announcement. As of right now, they are planning to create a game called Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon, a side scrolling fighter which is in alpha trial phase as of now. Welcome to the thread where YOUR ideas are looked at and considered for the game. Any idea posted on this thread, whether or not you have backed the Kickstarter project as of yet, will attempt to be posted on the Kickstarter Comment forum via those who have already contributed if you are unable to do so. Please do not break any of the existing forum rules and please do not comment with negativity or argue with other members here. This thread may very well be looked upon later on by the developers and we do not want to have them sift through spam comments. Be honest with your ideas and support others ideas that you enjoy!

About the Game

You can read any information about the game from Studio Nasu by clicking the link in the paragraph above. We will release information as it is released from the studio itself to avoid any rumors or false information from circulating around. We will "Edit" this post at later dates so that the information is always the first thing you see once you click this thread. You won't have to sift through to find the game's info, but do look at the comments to see the ideas being posted. Without any further ado, here are some of the games announced features!

*The following info is subject to change and is not to be viewed as the final info on the game*

Trailer Video Here: Official Otakon Video Game

The game is self described as a 'beat em’ up arcade action'.

1-4 Players can join in, however we do not know if this will be for all game modes.

The trailer and brief gameplay has revealed levels including the front of the Baltimore Convention Center at Pratt Street Lobby and Hopkins Place Intersection along with a Floating Arena and a Cyber Grid level.

Also posted in the trailer were Otakon memes, including the 2011 Ice Cold Water

Five game modes have been announced including:

Arcade Mode

Versus Mode

Mayhem

Doujin Mode

Boss Rush

Over 6 Playable Characters have been teased. Currently, these characters have been announced.

Hiroko-chan (Otakon Mascot)

Hiroshi-kun (Otakon Mascot)

Ping (Megatokyo Character)

Featuring Art by:

Robert DeJesus

TW Hord

Dave Lister

Jason “Crybringer” Robinson

and More!

Featuring Music by:

Eyeshine

Jake “Virt” Kaufman

DJ Cutman

Inverse Phase

and more!

Featuring Voices by:

Johnny Yong Bosch

Cristina Vee

Kyle Hebert

Todd Haberkorn

and more!

Featuring Story by:

Dave Lister

Martin “Little Kuriboh” Piers Billany

Fred Gallagher

and more!

News

Studio Nasu Teams Up with Otakon to bring you Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon

Afterword
Please post ideas and comments and above all else, support this game like we support Otakon, the convention by fans, for fans! With our help, we can make this the best addition to the 20th Anniversary and contribute to the fandom we love so much.
Thank you and Enjoy!

Duelit :3

#2 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

So, I thought I could attempt to start it up by saying some of the ideas me and my friends had when we saw the trailer. These are just passing comments, but they may catch on if people like them.

Using alias' since this is a forum :3

From Me: A menu screen between levels accessed by using a key or button (Either a 'Continue' key or and optional 'Shop' button) in which you can pick up upgrades to be used in the levels. The Ice Cold WaterGuy can wheel his cart onto the screen and could sell arcade power ups or bottled items to use in the levels to recharge the bars. A 'Shop' feature on the menu could include this, but items and costumes could be purchased there that cannot be purchased during story mode. The 'Weapon Shop' could be a random booth with a background from the Dealers Alley and the 'Cosplay' shop could be located near there as well, with costumes ranging from generic outfits (sailor uniform, ninja, yukata) to outfits from shows, games, manga that permit the usage (Megatokyo outfits, Metal Gear Solid uniforms). An 'Artist Alley' can be unlocked and show concept art from the games developers or even fan art for the game out of those who contribute. In other words, a shop interface would be awesome! :D

From Reds120: I want to see a character system that allows basic changes to a pre made model. The choices could be hair style, hair color, skin color and they would start off with a plain T (t-shirt) and jeans and a basic weapon and earn upgrades somehow. They can earn money (we ended up calling the currency Otakoins) by finishing a level with combos and time bonuses. We need a giant CRAB BOSS and then he drops a mini crab thats a hat or shoulder thing like a pikachu :DDDDDDD

From Yjaden: I just want to see a multiplayer interface that when you play with others, you can see a bit of their data in the menu screen. This could be what difficulty level they beat it on, their character, their online name, really it could be anything. But here's an idea (Duelit) and I came up with. What if the player card looked like the Otakon badge? On the left side would be the Otakon logo, the date they joined vertically and maybe greyed out symbol areas for when they beat stuff in game and get recognized for it, and a background picture in the middle from the game with the players character in it with their login name in the NAME slot. If that would be doable, please consider it!

From SheerWatermaster: The backround people from the trailer look very odd with all the princesses. Is there a way to make a switch for this or at least make it more varied? Can there be a rave level with a giant video faced monster with audio equipment extending as arms and legs? Or a table boss you have to flip to deal damage to. This is looking like a good game, but if there is way to have a (Otakon Weekend Mode) with a schedule you can choose paths through kinda like in the convention where you go to things you want to see, but it changes the rewards and items you get for not exploring all the exhibits each play through? That would be sweet, I'd just give you my wallet for that idea.

That's what we have so far, anyone else have any ideas?

#3 The Otakutopian

The Otakutopian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hey. Just heard about the game from the internet. (Didn't go to either the Opening or Closing Ceremonies.) I thought it's a pretty awesome way to help ring in the con's BIG 2-0. I have a few suggestions on stuff to have:

1. Have a lot of different classes of enemies? Mainly cosplayers. Though not, of course, characters who are obviously from copyrighted works, like "Sailor Moon" or "Bleach" or "Madoka Magica". But rather more general classes of characters you could see from many anime/manga/whatever. Like you featured ninjas in your video You could also have "Street Fighter-type" fighters, samurai, shrine maidens (miko), robots/mecha, magical girls, catgirls/catboys, bunnygirls/bunnyboys, etc.

2. How about some hidden unlockable/downloadable characters to join Hiroko, Hiroshi, and the others in the versus mode. They can even be original characters created by fans of the con.

3. Along with Eyeshine, you can even have other people help with the game's soundtrack. Like you can include music from some of the chiptune musicians like DJ Cutman or Immerse Phase. Just like Anamanaguchi did the music to that "Scott Pilgrim" game. Of course, you just mix it up between rock, chiptune, orchestral, or whatever. But then again, that might be a little too much like "The World Ends With You" (which is also a great game with an awesome soundtrack). Heck, you can even used music that sounds similar to what was heard from that "Panty and Stocking" display from the booth by the Funimation booth this past weekend. That was a great music right there.

4. Maybe even have some of the voice actors themselves appear in the game as special bosses or trainers to the characters. They can assume the roles as some of the ingame con's guests just like they did/(probably) will in the con in real life. But they could be set up like challengers/bosses who would use attacks and abilities similar to (but not exactly) some of the characters they voiced. For example: Johnny Yong Bosch could use attacks similar to Ichigo's Getsugatensho [from "Bleach"] or Lelouch's Geass [from "Code Geass"]. Or Kyle Hebert might bring out a flash attack that looks like Ryu's Hadouken [from "Street Fighter"] or give a Kamina-from-Gurren-Lagann-like taunt to the player. I know this idea might not happen due to copyright issues. But if Austin Powers can get away with a monster that looks like Godzilla but isn't, then why not? hehe

5. Not sure if this would help, but why not give out a contest to Otakon members and give them a chance to be included in the game. Whether it's having their cosplay (original, public domain, or non-copyrighted lookalike) being featured as an enemy or background character (Derpy much?) or even voicing grunts, groans, and other nonvocal sounds that the enemies do when they attack or get hit.

Well, that's all of the suggestions I have so far. I hope they are of some help. Definitely want to see what this game would be like. [Will it be downloadable? And if so, for which system or computer?]

Good luck with everything.

#4 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

5. Not sure if this would help, but why not give out a contest to Otakon members and give them a chance to be included in the game. Whether it's having their cosplay (original, public domain, or non-copyrighted lookalike) being featured as an enemy or background character (Derpy much?) or even voicing grunts, groans, and other nonvocal sounds that the enemies do when they attack or get hit.

I really like your ideas with the variety of enemies! That sounds exactly what one would see in front of Otakon on a Friday or Saturday. Yes to that! :)

As for your fifth point, that actually sounds like something that could happen with Kickstarter. Usually, the minimum asking payment is for the game itself or just to contribute to the games creation out of the kindness of your heart, but the following options often have bonus content added to that with a "All of the above and this" setup. I could see them raising a price for having a side character or enemy type in the game modeled after the contributor. It happens like that a lot, so hopefully that idea will get recognized.

Other things they could have that would cost more than the game itself is art signed by the artist or dev crew, your name in an online match mode could be a different color, or even something crazy like names of contributors being in the credits. Its all possible, but we'll have to wait and see. :3

#5 The Otakutopian

The Otakutopian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:12 PM

I really like your ideas with the variety of enemies! That sounds exactly what one would see in front of Otakon on a Friday or Saturday. Yes to that! Posted Image

As for your fifth point, that actually sounds like something that could happen with Kickstarter. Usually, the minimum asking payment is for the game itself or just to contribute to the games creation out of the kindness of your heart, but the following options often have bonus content added to that with a "All of the above and this" setup. I could see them raising a price for having a side character or enemy type in the game modeled after the contributor. It happens like that a lot, so hopefully that idea will get recognized.

Other things they could have that would cost more than the game itself is art signed by the artist or dev crew, your name in an online match mode could be a different color, or even something crazy like names of contributors being in the credits. Its all possible, but we'll have to wait and see. :3

Thanks. I've seen lots of different types of cosplayers at the con for the past few years I've been to it. And there are definitely different classes of characters being cosplayed. There could even be cosplayers based on third-party (non-anime-ish) properties, like "Star Wars", "Doctor Who", or even American Comics (ignoring, of course, the "Marvel vs. Capcom" series).

I was thinking the same thing about my #5 being a kickstarter reward. Not sure if it'll work, but it's worth a shot.

Also, I didn't realize that DJ Cutman and Inverse Phase have already been listened as two of the game's composers. So for the most part, you can ignore my #3. Except for maybe the "Panty and Stocking"-ish music. That could be used for a Rave level or something if not any techno/trance/etc. music.

#6 SanjiX

SanjiX

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

I think the only way I'd be able to get a real opinion on it is to just play it. I've beta tested several games for years and I just got my AAS in Simulation & Digital Entertainment (basically Game Design) and I'm going for my Bachelor's at the University of Baltimore (same major) starting in a few weeks. So far, from the video that was shown, I'm totally down with it. I heard something about a Otakon game but my days were just so busy at the con that I wasn't able to check it out (I knew it was supposed to be around at some point on Sunday). But anyway, I'm sure it plays fine anyway. With it being 2D, it seems like it's probably being built in Game Maker, am I right?

As for suggestions, when the game gets enough Kickstarter support, I think beta invites would be great for the people that contribute a certain amount of money. I'd look at other Kickstarter's as they offered several easy (and fairly easy to do) incentives for people that put money into the project. I think interviews with the developers, voice actors, musicians, and even some of the guys at Otakorp would be great. I always always love "The Making of" DVDs (and I guess at this point, Blu Rays!) then show off concept art, early game builds, talk about some design decisions, etc.

The best suggestion that I can ever give to anyone to keep it as simple as possible at the first release and to gradually build onto it as time goes on (adding in more characters, levels, etc). This ensures a quick release and would keep the developer from delaying the game just to add in some new game mode(s) or character(s) at the last minute. Believe me, this is why I hated waiting for Super Smash Bros. Brawl a few years ago (because that's what they did!).

As for what platforms to release on:
Steam (PC, Can later be converted to Mac for Windows/Mac cross play, meaning if you have one version, Steam gives you both!) #1 choice for any digitally released PC game. Consider this before anything!. PERIOD!
Nintendo 3DS eShop - This is a no brainer as my massive Streetpass count from Otakon 2012 shows that nearly every con goer from this and last year have a 3DS.

Those are without a doubt the most popular platforms hard core gamers go to. As for more casual gamers...
Apple App Store (iOS - iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch) - Would require the game be controlled with just a touch screen. But blue tooth controllers (even the Wii remote can be used as one!) should be compatible.
Android Play Store (Android Smartphones/Tablets) - Same as above.
Playstation Vita (via the Playstation Network). Would probably be a decent hybrid between traditional and touch controls, as would the 3DS version if possible.

And eventually after portables and PC/Mac are done...
Xbox Live Arcade (Xbox 360)
Playstation Network (PS3/Vita cross play would be amazing - meaning both versions work together for saves and multiplayer, etc)
Wiiware for Wii U (as the original Wii is pretty much dead at this point)

We are also on the horizon of the "real" next generation of consoles as the next Playstation and Xbox will probably be announced at E3 in June 2013. While the Wii U is next gen, it's only going be more of a like a PS3 Plus or Xbox 360 Plus just as the Wii was more or less a Gamecube Plus (ironically, I was just at a Wii U Play Event in DC the day before Otakon!)

So, yeah! Thanks for the PM earlier, I'm always open to give opinions on anything in the industry. I even run a video game blog @ http://ssj-chris.blogspot.com if you're interested in reading some of my other game related stuff. Gaming is my life! I love it!! =)

Edited by SanjiX, 31 July 2012 - 08:19 AM.

Attended Otakon 2009-2013. Follow (stalk) me on Twitter! http://Twitter.com/ssj_chris

#7 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Disciplinary Committee Chair

• Veteran Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

If you get the kickstarter going, my money is yours. I saw the game at Otakon and I am beyond excited already. :)

gama2014_zps45cead10.jpg

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John B., Member '07, '09-'12, '14]

Fanvideos:  2014 | 2012 | 2011

#8 TnAdct1

TnAdct1

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

One idea that I thought of when it comes to this game: include nods to past Otakons. Some ideas that come to mind:

1. Small references to past Japanese guests (i.e. have a background character resemble the image used for Gen Urobuchi in his bio picture);

2. Have elements referencing certain incidents from past cons. Such elements range from a fire alarm blaring in the background to having to dodge exploding manhole covers.

3. Following Duelit's idea, when it comes to the "cosplay" idea, you can have some of the outfits that the Otakon mascots wear be based on actual outfits that they wore on the t-shirts offered each year at Otakon.
Joseph Klemm
Maryland/DC Con Vet since 2001.

#9 The Otakutopian

The Otakutopian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

One idea that I thought of when it comes to this game: include nods to past Otakons. Some ideas that come to mind:

1. Small references to past Japanese guests (i.e. have a background character resemble the image used for Gen Urobuchi in his bio picture);

2. Have elements referencing certain incidents from past cons. Such elements range from a fire alarm blaring in the background to having to dodge exploding manhole covers.

3. Following Duelit's idea, when it comes to the "cosplay" idea, you can have some of the outfits that the Otakon mascots wear be based on actual outfits that they wore on the t-shirts offered each year at Otakon.

Now those are some great ideas. Basically you could reference stuff from previous cons like the fire alarm and manhole covers as a way for Otakon to poke fun on itself. In fact, to further my comment on different enemies, you can also include a class of enemies that represents the notorious "unwashed otaku". And they can attack with nasty stench clouds that would either paralyze or poison the players.
And references to guests from other countries (like the US) wouldn't be so bad either.

I think the only way I'd be able to get a real opinion on it is to just play it. I've beta tested several games for years and I just got my AAS in Simulation & Digital Entertainment (basically Game Design) and I'm going for my Bachelor's at the University of Baltimore (same major) starting in a few weeks. So far, from the video that was shown, I'm totally down with it. I heard something about a Otakon game but my days were just so busy at the con that I wasn't able to check it out (I knew it was supposed to be around at some point on Sunday). But anyway, I'm sure it plays fine anyway. With it being 2D, it seems like it's probably being built in Game Maker, am I right?

As for suggestions, when the game gets enough Kickstarter support, I think beta invites would be great for the people that contribute a certain amount of money. I'd look at other Kickstarter's as they offered several easy (and fairly easy to do) incentives for people that put money into the project. I think interviews with the developers, voice actors, musicians, and even some of the guys at Otakorp would be great. I always always love "The Making of" DVDs (and I guess at this point, Blu Rays!) then show off concept art, early game builds, talk about some design decisions, etc.

The best suggestion that I can ever give to anyone to keep it as simple as possible at the first release and to gradually build onto it as time goes on (adding in more characters, levels, etc). This ensures a quick release and would keep the developer from delaying the game just to add in some new game mode(s) or character(s) at the last minute. Believe me, this is why I hated waiting for Super Smash Bros. Brawl a few years ago (because that's what they did!).

As for what platforms to release on:
Steam (PC, Can later be converted to Mac for Windows/Mac cross play, meaning if you have one version, Steam gives you both!) #1 choice for any digitally released PC game. Consider this before anything!. PERIOD!
Nintendo 3DS eShop - This is a no brainer as my massive Streetpass count from Otakon 2012 shows that nearly every con goer from this and last year have a 3DS.

Those are without a doubt the most popular platforms hard core gamers go to. As for more casual gamers...
Apple App Store (iOS - iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch) - Would require the game be controlled with just a touch screen. But blue tooth controllers (even the Wii remote can be used as one!) should be compatible.
Android Play Store (Android Smartphones/Tablets) - Same as above.
Playstation Vita (via the Playstation Network). Would probably be a decent hybrid between traditional and touch controls, as would the 3DS version if possible.

And eventually after portables and PC/Mac are done...
Xbox Live Arcade (Xbox 360)
Playstation Network (PS3/Vita cross play would be amazing - meaning both versions work together for saves and multiplayer, etc)
Wiiware for Wii U (as the original Wii is pretty much dead at this point)

We are also on the horizon of the "real" next generation of consoles as the next Playstation and Xbox will probably be announced at E3 in June 2013. While the Wii U is next gen, it's only going be more of a like a PS3 Plus or Xbox 360 Plus just as the Wii was more or less a Gamecube Plus (ironically, I was just at a Wii U Play Event in DC the day before Otakon!)

So, yeah! Thanks for the PM earlier, I'm always open to give opinions on anything in the industry. I even run a video game blog @ http://ssj-chris.blogspot.com if you're interested in reading some of my other game related stuff. Gaming is my life! I love it!! =)

You do have a point about not releasing too much at once. Otherwise, we probably wouldn't get the game until AFTER next year's con. Just gradually start with a basic set and release more stuff as expansion downloads later on. (Like many games nowadays will get new levels, characters, etc. as bonus downloads.) Just try not to have them push the game TOO much, or we're gonna get another "ET: The Extra Terrestrial" for the Atari 2600. *shudders* >.<

But I'm definitely up for a download from the Nintendo 3DS Shop. Especially, like you said, there were literally hundreds of people carrying around 3DSs in the con, including you and me. Of course, we could try to make it accessible for all of the DSi/DSiXL users too.

#10 cards344

cards344

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

I will play the ---- out of this game, also soap should be a power up and or weapon.

This next test applies the principles of momentum to movement through portals. If the laws of physics no longer apply in the future, Gold help you.
-Prerecorded Message in Portal 2

Youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/cards344

Deviantart Page: http://cards344.deviantart.com/

#11 SanjiX

SanjiX

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

ROOOOOOOFL... yes, cards. Soap and con funk should be applied to a few enemies of this game. My worst memory of it is with a heavily obese Goku cosplayer. I can see some of colors of Goku being swapped and that being made into like a boss. Maybe some fire extinguishers that say "soap" on them would be an amusing way to defeat him. Maybe when you defeat him, he becomes a slimmer Goku like guy and flies away? Like he was possessed by the evils of con funk that transformed him? I think that's a great idea to use... go for it, devs, I'm not watching! ;)

Attended Otakon 2009-2013. Follow (stalk) me on Twitter! http://Twitter.com/ssj_chris

#12 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

Most years Otakon has had a "theme" and we've done most of our art and such based on that. So the idea of using the suits as powerups is good -- and it gives you 20 levels to work with. Since we've done a time travel theme a few years ago, you could run through the first few levels and then warp back and forth to various Otakon years. Mini-levels, at least, might be possible:

Levels based on older years might even look more 8-bit or 16-bit, as appropriate.

Otakon Doom Mod from 1996, and Hunt Valley Inn was our home.

Something based on this would be a great mini-level and a great nod to the past.

Jim Vowles
Director of Guests & Industry Relations (Otakon & Otakon Vegas)

Previously:
Chair, Otakon Music Festival (2012), Programming Division Head (2012)
Special Projects Coordinator (2011-2012), Relations Section Chief (2007-2010)

Con Chair Emeritus (Otakon 2006), Vice Chair (2005)
President (2006), Vice President (2005)

Member-at-Large (2004, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013)

Grand Vizier of the Ota-Net (& former gofer #12)

#13 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

Most years Otakon has had a "theme" and we've done most of our art and such based on that. So the idea of using the suits as powerups is good -- and it gives you 20 levels to work with. Since we've done a time travel theme a few years ago, you could run through the first few levels and then warp back and forth to various Otakon years. Mini-levels, at least, might be possible.

I like the way this idea seems to be changing hands between fans! I also think people growing out others ideas are contributing as well and the fact we have some Otakon fans who have been to the conventions of the distant past seems to be helping the Time Traveling idea quite a bit. Nostalgia for stuff like this is like a nostalgic anime or manga, it ages better over time.

I could imagine there being bonus levels unlocked through the arcade mode by playing it on progressively harder difficulties, with the time traveling being one of those rewards. Or even have a time machine on sale in one of the Shops is that idea ever makes it though. Here was an idea that was semi mentioned earlier but to a finer degree:

While time traveling to every year of Otakon may not be possible,(but we wish it was!) what about gathering info, photos, and member recollections and having the possibility to travel to the very first Otakon at the Days Inn near Penn State! How cool would it be to see the birth of the convention we know and love today as seen through the eyes of some of its first members? From its beginnings of 300 or so devoted fans to the con that brought in over 32,574 members this year and packed the convention center to its max would be a humbling sight indeed. There could be decade related enemies (sailor girls, robots, and others as Otakutopian mentioned above) and the final boss could be a health heavy Hiroko and Hiroshi (not sure if Hiroshi was present at the first Otakon, but still) and defeating them could make the stage open to other modes and include the two bosses in the boss game mode.

And as always, continue posting with all your awesome ideas! We have a long couple of months ahead of us to hone our ideas so that we may make them a reality and to contribute and help the developer team. Every idea counts and by getting the word out and getting people hyped about it, we can be certain that the game will be funded. :3

Follow the thread by clicking the button at the top right of the page to stay up to date on all the happenings surrounding Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon!

#14 The Otakutopian

The Otakutopian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

Oh yeah. I forgot about the Otakon "theme" thing. Some of the themes I remember include themes for the movies, racing, cooking (this year's), and "Alice in Wonderland".

Yeah, the 8-bit/16-bit levels were definitely be reminiscent of games like "Final Fight" and the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" arcade games. I know that the "Scott Pilgrim" game had already the old-school gaming appearance. But there's still room for more classic references.

I didn't start going to Otakon till 2001. But I do know about that Doom mod, which is pretty cool and would make a addition to "Crisis Heart Brawlers".

And don't forget all of those original anime shorts featuring the mascots. Though you'd probably want to get permission from Madhouse or whoever helped you make them.

#15 The Otakutopian

The Otakutopian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:22 PM

Most years Otakon has had a "theme" and we've done most of our art and such based on that. So the idea of using the suits as powerups is good -- and it gives you 20 levels to work with. Since we've done a time travel theme a few years ago, you could run through the first few levels and then warp back and forth to various Otakon years. Mini-levels, at least, might be possible.

I like the way this idea seems to be changing hands between fans! I also think people growing out others ideas are contributing as well and the fact we have some Otakon fans who have been to the conventions of the distant past seems to be helping the Time Traveling idea quite a bit. Nostalgia for stuff like this is like a nostalgic anime or manga, it ages better over time.

While time traveling to every year of Otakon may not be possible,(but we wish it was!) what about gathering info, photos, and member recollections and having the possibility to travel to the very first Otakon at the Days Inn near Penn State! How cool would it be to see the birth of the convention we know and love today as seen through the eyes of some of its first members? From its beginnings of 300 or so devoted fans to the con that brought in over 32,574 members this year and packed the convention center to its max would be a humbling sight indeed. There could be decade related enemies (sailor girls, robots, and others as Otakutopian mentioned above) and the final boss could be a health heavy Hiroko and Hiroshi (not sure if Hiroshi was present at the first Otakon, but still) and defeating them could make the stage open to other modes and include the two bosses in the boss game mode.

And as always, continue posting with all your awesome ideas! We have a long couple of months ahead of us to hone our ideas so that we may make them a reality and to contribute and help the developer team. Every idea counts and by getting the word out and getting people hyped about it, we can be certain that the game will be funded. :3

Follow the thread by clicking the button at the top right of the page to stay up to date on all the happenings surrounding Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon!

Yeah, the longtime Otakon veterans seem to remember plenty of stuff from the past, including stuff that the newcomers are unaware of. Which might work both for and against the game. I mean, don't get me wrong. I loved that "This is Otakudom" fan-parody by No.N.D.E. Fanfilms and still watch parts of it to this very day, But I gotta say, some of the jokes and stuff are kinda outdated. Not unlike the famous Gainax anime (and Otakon staple) "Otaku no Video". So probably, like "Otaku no Video", a nice ingame glossary/reference guide explaining some of the stuff that's in the game might be helpful for those who don't know what the heck is going on. (Again, mostly the newcomers.) But you're right. Nostalgia for great media can still be a really awesome thing. I mean that "Scott Pilgrim" game alone was proof of that.

More great ideas for characters and bosses. I was also thinking someone can introduce brand new characters for the game that would act as rivals for Hiroko and Hiroshi. And they can even wear the blazer uniforms that most anime characters are wearing nowadays, whereas Hiroko is wearing the traditional sailor fuku and Hiroshi is wearing the closed jacket-type uniform (don't know what that's called). But I dunno. That just might be an interesting contrast between the different types of uniforms we see in anime and manga. And I'm not talking about cutout doppelgangers like Shadow the Hedgehog was to Sonic. But rather nice anime/manga-styled rivals. Again, not sure if this will work. But just thought I'd bring it out in the open.

But yeah, I do whatever I can to help spread the word about the game and this thread. Let's hope that this will be one of the best things to come out of Otakon...ever.

Edited by The Otakutopian, 01 August 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#16 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:15 AM

News Update!

The following information comes from Studio Nasu's Twitter!

*The following changes are still being released to a game that is in development. This is likely to change at later dates!*

The game's character count has been raised to 8 along with the chance of more if the Kickstarter goes well.

The test run at Otakon was built from the ground up using the Unity 3D platform. This allows for more freedom whilst creating the game. Hats off to that! This allows for aesthetic details such as "Perspective, scaling and dynamic lighting. Super glowy glow sticks at the rave with light trails!"

Ice Cold Water™ Guy has been confirmed to be in game, however whether or not he will be voicing as himself is still a matter of debate.

The first mentions of releases will be coming for consoles and mobile platforms. Other releases will depend on how well the Kickstarter goes. PC and Mac have been confirmed among these platforms.

That's all for now! Subscribe to their twitter feed as well to show your support and to be up to date on the current happenings of the game! :3

#17 SanjiX

SanjiX

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

Woooooooww... an Otakon mod for Doom. It seems that game really had everything in terms of mod (I once saw a whole Sonic fan game made in the Doom engine which worked surprisingly well).

#18 l33wuzwr0ng

l33wuzwr0ng

Neophyte Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

I know this might sound silly, but I like the idea of nods to past Otakons. Maybe a level where the primary enemy is people shouting Marco Polo or Butt-Scratcha! Maybe make a level that involves the safe evacuation of 30+thousand people due to a fire, that sort of thing.

I still absolutely love the idea of a contest through Art Show for a character. I think that would catch on fast and benefit everybody.
~Rebekah Costello
Art Show Co-Department Head
Art Show Staff '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12

#19 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

I know this might sound silly, but I like the idea of nods to past Otakons. Maybe a level where the primary enemy is people shouting Marco Polo or Butt-Scratcha! Maybe make a level that involves the safe evacuation of 30+thousand people due to a fire, that sort of thing.

I still absolutely love the idea of a contest through Art Show for a character. I think that would catch on fast and benefit everybody.

Dave L -- you and I need to get together; I'd love to show you the animation that We Dare Not Show Again Publicly, because it features all sorts of nerdy goodness. Including our mascots summoning all the manhole covers in Baltimore (and a giant painted crab) to defeat a berzerk Evangalion that erupts from the BCC....

For the fire hazard, how about a Tetris-like mini-game where you have to sort the groups of evacuating fans into orderly queues to safely cross Pratt street? I can tell you that was ....fun.... since I was one of the staffers doing just that.

Jim Vowles

Previously:

#20 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

NEWS UPDATE!

Hey everyone! Hope the start of the weekend is going well for you all! We have awesome news today! Studio Nasu has tweeted and we have been recognized! Keep up with all your awesome ideas and keep spreading the word as usual! Here are the tweets in question!

Posted ImageStudio Nasu@studionasu
I can't wait to read through all of that. Posted Image

There's already a fantastic fan discussion for Crisis Heart Brawlers going on over at the @Otakon forums. Posted Imagehttp://board.otakon.com/index.php?showtopic=23479#entry262828

In case you missed it, Crisis Heart Brawler fans have a thread going over at the @Otakon forums. Posted Image rad! Thanks guys!http://board.otakon.com/index.php?showtopic=23479#entry262828

Hopefully they'll have enough time to read through all that you guys have put down and maybe an idea will stick! Be sure that when the Kickstarter is up that you back the game and put down your ideas there as well! For those of you who are unable to do so until a later time, we'll put down your favorite ideas in your place! Just be sure to follow up on backing the project so you can see your ideas put onto screen!

Be sure to follow their Twitter at @studionasu and follow this thread as we wait for the official Kickstarter site to be posted!

Questions of the Day!

For those of you who are still forming ideas or are taking your time honing those ideas into realistic goals, we'll have our first Questions of the Day! session. These are just fun quips that the readers can answer for the fun of it! So, here are the questions for August 3rd, 2012!

What character revealed so far is most interesting to you and why?

What area around the convention center would you like to see most as a background or level?

Which mode are you most excited about and why?

When you purchase this, what platform would you most likely play it on?

(Console, Phone, PC, Mac, etc.)

During Otakon 2013, should a tournament of versus be available for this game in the Game Hall?

Thanks and continue to post. :3

#21 SanjiX

SanjiX

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:34 AM

Oh Snapple, I missed the first post about the updates. I guess to answer a few questions. When they say console for releases are we only assuming home consoles? Secondly, I'm most excited about the ice cold water guy being in the game. Cause you know, its only one dollar and he's awesome.

Also, that kickstarter is taking forever .

#22 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Oh Snapple, I missed the first post about the updates. I guess to answer a few questions. When they say console for releases are we only assuming home consoles? Secondly, I'm most excited about the ice cold water guy being in the game. Cause you know, its only one dollar and he's awesome.

Also, that kickstarter is taking forever .

Luckily, its only been a week or so since the end of Otakon and the initial announcement and Kickstarter usually takes a bit to set up, but I like your enthusiasm!

Also, Ice Cold Water™ Guy has been announced to be in the game, but whether or not he voices himself will be dependent on how well the VA session goes at their studio.

Continue to post! Only a matter of time before the Kickstarter campaign is up and apparently the first one to contribute gets some sort of prize. Hope one of you is lucky enough to get it! Though I'll totally try to get it too haha. Stay cool this weekend! :3

#23 trickthetm

trickthetm

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

A good level for the game would be starting from the harbor, progressing towards the convention center by way of the skywalk.
Hope to see the game on a portable system like the 3DS.
Will support the Kickstarter whenever it opens.

#24 The Otakutopian

The Otakutopian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

1. What character revealed so far is most interesting to you and why?
So far, the con's main mascots Hiroko and Hiroshi 'cause...well.. they're the con's main mascots. Oh...and 'cause they're voiced by Christina Vee and Johnny Yong Bosch respectively. (Though I might be wrong. Please correct me I am.)

2. What area around the convention center would you like to see most as a background or level?
Primarily, the Fountain area. Since that seems to be a major gathering of cosplayers and camera-ops, it would make a great level/area where you'd have to fight countless enemies/cosplayers. Not necessarily all at once, but rather wave after wave. If it can't be in story mode, then maybe whichever of the above modes that you mentioned that would be considered a "Survival Mode" where you'd have to survive for as long as you can against waves of enemies for unlockable items or something.
My runner-up would be the Dealer's Room since, again, it's a huge gathering of con-goers. Plus it would have some pretty interesting stuff going on, like the major displays/shows that were at some of the booths. (Examples: Funimation's "Panty and Stocking" pole area from this year or some booths where they have displays of models as if they were museums.)

3. Which mode are you most excited about and why?
Probably Arcade Mode, if it's what you would call the Story mode. You would explore many of the familiar parts of the Convention Center and the surrounding area. Don't know what Mayhem or Doujin Mode are supposed to be. I'd assume Boss Rush is just all of the bosses back-to-back and Versus Mode is Player vs Player.

4. When you purchase this, what platform would you most likely play it on? (Console, Phone, PC, Mac, etc.)
Mostly likely the 3DS since I spend a lot of time on it anyway. Plus, I can take it with me wherever I go. It doesn't have to be in 3D. Just good enough to be playable and, if possible, replayable.
Runners up would be PC and XBOX 360.

5. During Otakon 2013, should a tournament of versus be available for this game in the Game Hall?
Probably, as long as there is enough characters to choose and areas in the game to have matches. But, most importantly, the game should be as well-balanced as possible. Don't want any characters who seem way too cheap. Like Yoda from "Soul Calibur IV" was cool, but way too short to be hit.

Hope these answers help. Hope to be able to help with the kickstarter fundraiser. Good luck everybody.

Edited by The Otakutopian, 04 August 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#25 Otaku Ru

Otaku Ru

Disciplinary Committee Chair

• Veteran Members
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

A good level for the game would be starting from the harbor, progressing towards the convention center by way of the skywalk.
Hope to see the game on a portable system like the 3DS.
Will support the Kickstarter whenever it opens.

I was thinking it could start at BWI. You fight your way through the airport, fight a boss before you board the light rail, and the light rail would crash due to some unseen circumstance and you would have to make your way through the harbor on a boat or something, and THEN you'd fight your way through harborplace to Otakon. Gotta draw it out, man. ;)

gama2014_zps45cead10.jpg

Facebook | Soundcloud

[John B., Member '07, '09-'12, '14]

Fanvideos:  2014 | 2012 | 2011

#26 TnAdct1

TnAdct1

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

After returning to the brainstorming session, here's a couple ideas for possible enemies:

1. "Hug me" fanboys/fangirls who attempt to "glomp" the heroes (causing the heroes to struggle out while their energy is partially delpeted).

2. Enemies using "Chair" as a weapon (in reference to the overdone joke that was common during the cosplay during the early 2000's years of Otakon, especially 2001).
Joseph Klemm

#27 Fadamor

Fadamor

This title space for rent! Reasonable rates! Ask within.

• Veteran Members
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:04 AM

OK, upgrades simply HAVE to be purchased in the Dealer's Room. Posted Image Perhaps as enemies are defeated, the player(s) earn Otakash which is redeemable for upgrades and power-ups in the Dealer's Room. For any scenario starting outside the BCC (like starting at BWI and fighting your way in) the player would have to make due with random drops until they had cleared a path to the Dealer's Room and could purchase what they specifically wanted.

#28 SanjiX

SanjiX

Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

OK, upgrades simply HAVE to be purchased in the Dealer's Room. Posted Image Perhaps as enemies are defeated, the player(s) earn Otakash which is redeemable for upgrades and power-ups in the Dealer's Room. For any scenario starting outside the BCC (like starting at BWI and fighting your way in) the player would have to make due with random drops until they had cleared a path to the Dealer's Room and could purchase what they specifically wanted.

Since the game already referred itself to be like River City Ransom, maybe enemies will drop coins and yell "Barf!!" after being defeated. Then you use their money to get stuff from dealer's room, like how in RCR, you used punk's money to get food to recover health and for other things.

#29 alabaster

alabaster

Grand Vizier

• Board Moderator
  • 10,979 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Art Show would allow you to view the stuff you'd unlocked

Art Auction would be a cool mini-game where you bid against someone on cool swag.

One story option might be to clear the way so a guest can get to his panel on time.

Jim Vowles

Previously:

#30 Fadamor

Fadamor

• Veteran Members
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

If you purchase weapons in the Dealer's Room, the clerk asks you if you want them boxed-up so you could immediately remove them from the con and you say, "No thanks, I'll need them right away."

#31 trickthetm

trickthetm

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

I have a thought that there could be different, slight variations on the levels based on different days of the conventions. For example if you are fighting along the line, different cosplayers would be there or would be interacting with each other differently.
A suggestion for a level would be one of the video rooms, particularly video 1, where you fight along one of the aisles. A video of some sort could be playing in the background. People could randomly throw things at you for making noise while they watch the video.
I agree that the dealer's room is a good place to buy items/ upgrade but there should be vendors (like the Ice Cold Water guy) who you can buy temporary upgrades or healing items.

#32 Fadamor

Fadamor

• Veteran Members
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

If you need to get to the Dealer's Room on Sunday, you first have to fight through a line of mobs that starts in front of the Registration area and wraps all the way around Gofer Ops, Autographs and down the stairs. They all are facing away from you (facing the front of the line) and deaf, so as long as you don't run past them, you only have to take on one at a time BUT the doors are opening in 10 minutes, and any that aren't dead when the doors open will start filing in and wreaking havoc, reducing the variety of power-ups and weapons available to the player. Do you run past them ALL then take up station at the doors and "Chuck Norris" them as they swarm you, or do you take them out from behind, hoping you get to the doors before they open?
Posted Image

#33 GoukaRyuu

GoukaRyuu

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

If you need to get to the Dealer's Room on Sunday, you first have to fight through a line of mobs that starts in front of the Registration area and wraps all the way around Gofer Ops, Autographs and down the stairs. They all are facing away from you (facing the front of the line) and deaf, so as long as you don't run past them, you only have to take on one at a time BUT the doors are opening in 10 minutes, and any that aren't dead when the doors open will start filing in and wreaking havoc, reducing the variety of power-ups and weapons available to the player. Do you run past them ALL then take up station at the doors and "Chuck Norris" them as they swarm you, or do you take them out from behind, hoping you get to the doors before they open?
Posted Image

That's a really good idea!

I was thinking that, kind of like the hide-outs in the later pokemon games, the place you go to rest up and can really personalize with cool swag could be your hotelo room. Extra points if the background of that area shows upwards of 10 people also in the room.

Another idea would be to have to get something story related from the Hilton, meaning you have to fight your way across huge mobs in the sky tunnel.

Also, the Jam Space should be a music related mini-game.

Those are just a few of my ideas, may have some more for later.

#34 TnAdct1

TnAdct1

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:34 PM

A suggestion for a level would be one of the video rooms, particularly video 1, where you fight along one of the aisles. A video of some sort could be playing in the background. People could randomly throw things at you for making noise while they watch the video.

One thing that sounds tempting in terms of the Video Room idea: include a nod to MAT3K somewhere in it.
Joseph Klemm

#35 DestroyingStars

DestroyingStars

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Character Idea ; One of the characters could be a normal person, simply named "cosplayer". As you fight against the different cosplayers at the convention, each one drops a piece of their cosplay (wig, coat, prop, shoes, etc.) and you have the option of picking up the item and dressing up the character. I think maybe you could give this option to all of the characters, though.

And for a music idea ; For the stage outside of the Convention Center, you could have the Ice Cold Water Guy's Rap in the background. Think about how motivating that would be- fighting ninjas and cosplayers to "I got 'dat ice cold water, and it's only one doll-ar."

Some Random Ideas :] ;
  • Beat the mob to the manga table, where that one volume is on sale.
  • Fire Drill at the Convention Center! Escape within [x] seconds
  • A group of ninjas have stolen your ramen. Defeat them to get it back.
  • Boss Level; defeat the smelly guys in the Gamer's Room
If I think of anymore (which I probably will) I'll be sure to post again! c:

rinkagarnine @ tumblr

• i'm always online there, so if you need to reach me for some reason, send me an ask on there to get a quicker response

CONVENTIONS

• Otakon 2013 (money's tight this year, gotta cut back orz)

COSPLAY

• Kagamine Rin (I need a Len, if you know a Len like set me up with them or s/t.)
  • Ultimate Madoka (or Godoka, Kamidoka, etc. etc.)
  • Aisaka Taiga (this uniform)

I'm totally up to meeting with you / taking pictures or anything of the sort!! If we don't coordinate or anything, but you still want to keep an eye out for me or something, look below!!

FRIDAY: Look for an Ultimate Madoka cosplayer, about 4'11" (really short). I'll be wearing a Pikachu-plush backpack, and I'll be with a Kitana (Mortal Kombat) cosplayer! I'll also have a bow and arrow with me, if that helps~

SATURDAY: Look for a Kagamine Rin cosplayer with light-up headphones and the same backpack~ I'll be with my friend again, this time as Hatsune Miku!

#36 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

NEWS UPDATE!

This thread is really coming along! The next few days will be hard to wait through, but the Kickstarter appears to be going into its final stages of completion! Within the next few weeks, we will be looking at new releases of information from the Kickstarter page itself and subsequently we will be backing this project. Its been only a week and a half since we've started, and our journey is going to be blasting off again! Keep posted! In other news:

A new webcomic has appeared! Opening Ceremonies done in web comic form. Here!

Ice Cold Water™ Guy may show up as one of the meet-and-greet rewards for the Kickstarter!

The final preparation for the Kickstarter is being confirmed and some rewards will have a tie in with Otakon! Get a jump on that fans!

Questions of the Day!

In Otakon 2012 style, we're serving up some delicious questions for you to satiate your anime appetites! Here are the questions for August 9th, 2012:

If there was episodic content during Otakon 2013 that could be downloaded as an event in game, what would you like to see play out in this level?

For versus, would you like to see customization for the characters or different color palettes for the existing ones?

How psyched are you for this game?

As always, stay cool, drink lots of water, and keep posting your awesome ideas! :3

#37 Fadamor

Fadamor

• Veteran Members
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:43 AM

Ice Cold Water™ Guy may show up as one of the meet-and-greet rewards for the Kickstarter!

Did he get it trademarked? I read an article in a Baltimore publication that said he had tried, but they had ruled "Ice cold watah, only one dollah" was too short for a trademark to be awarded.

Found it: http://citypaper.com...ksEnabled=false

Edited by Fadamor, 09 August 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#38 Fadamor

Fadamor

• Veteran Members
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Ahhh, they tried to patent it, not register a trademark. Yeah, the patent attempt was the wrong way to go. They need it trademarked, so they could go after people selling T-shirts with the phrase on it.

#39 The Otakutopian

The Otakutopian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

1. If there was episodic content during Otakon 2013 that could be downloaded as an event in game, what would you like to see play out in this level?
What exactly do you mean? You mean like there being extra levels or characters at certain time periods or around special holidays, like for the "Pokemon" games? Just wondering.

2. For versus, would you like to see customization for the characters or different color palettes for the existing ones?
Either's fine. It would be nice to have characters wear different outfits (like in the "Soul Calibur" games) or at least have something to tell them apart from their copycats. (Like in "Super Smash Bros.", Pikachu can wear different hats or none at all.) But if that doesn't work, you can have the characters have different colors (like in some of the more old-school fighter games). At least have something to tell the characters apart. Especially for whenever there are more than one of the same character fighting at the same time. Plus, it would help allow more people to play a certain class of characters (all-around-type, speed-type, power-type, etc.)

3. How psyched are you for this game?
Pretty psyched. I can't believe that Otakon is actually planning on making an official video game, let alone with some big names in the anime and game music mixing biz. And on top of that, I will actually get the chance to be an official part of the con's major milestone.

#40 Studionasu

Studionasu

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Wow! You guys are amazing! =) I can't believe what a buzz has been created, and we haven't even launched our Kickstarter!
I've only had a moment to glance over the thread, and I've already seen many great ideas. Many of your ideas are already part of the game. Posted Image
I'll do my best to go over the thread soon and answer questions while keeping you all posted on official CHB:CaO news (we like to prounounce it "chibi cow" :3).
Thanks again everyone! Please bear with us, as most of our time is directed into the game itself!
--Dave

Edited by Studionasu, 10 August 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#41 The Otakutopian

The Otakutopian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

No way! An actual Studio Nasu rep has posted on this thread? Awesome! Thanks for checking it out, man. Glad to hear that some of our ideas have already been used for the game. Hope we'll be able to come up with even more great stuff that will help you make this game a super blast.
Hehe. "Chibi cow". Dude, that's a good one. (Might wanna include a character like that in there too. Maybe as a "recurring character" like that "Toasty!" guy from "Mortal Kombat".)

#42 Duelit

Duelit

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

NEWS UPDATE!

For those following this thread, thanks for your continual support and for helping this page get recognized!

As you may have seen, we have a post from a Studio Nasu representative named Dave who was kind enough to check out the page and post the following:

Wow! You guys are amazing! =) I can't believe what a buzz has been created, and we haven't even launched our Kickstarter!
I've only had a moment to glance over the thread, and I've already seen many great ideas. Many of your ideas are already part of the game. Posted Image
I'll do my best to go over the thread soon and answer questions while keeping you all posted on official CHB:CaO news (we like to prounounce it "chibi cow" :3).
Thanks again everyone! Please bear with us, as most of our time is directed into the game itself!
--Dave

Also, on their Twitter they have announced a new page for viewers to watch the trailer for the game!

http://studionasu.co...aunch-imminent/

Questions of the Day!

For those still on the verge of an idea, here are some questions to help you guys out if you need a creative edge!

What would you imagine a 'Chibi Cow' to look like in game if they made one? Would it be a mascot character or a full character?

Would you like to see more game play videos and/or developer commentary/video diaries as the game progresses through the stages of creation?

When you look back two weeks ago to when the game was first announced, what was the initial draw that made you interested in this game?

Afterword

Studio Nasu, I'm deeply humbled that you've visited the page! You guys rock! Got called late tonight and told to check the forums, and it was totally worth it! I like Otakutopian's idea about having a character or even a mascot called Chibi Cow who helps in the tutorial or something. It seems like the name is sticking around the fandom. Maybe someone will even cosplay as it for next Otakon!

As always, everyone stay cool and hydrated this summer and continue posting your awesome ideas as we continue the hype for Crisis Heart Brawlers: Clash at Otakon! :3

(Or Chibi Cow)

#43 pakopako

pakopako

Otaku

• Otakon Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

OK, upgrades simply HAVE to be purchased in the Dealer's Room. Posted Image Perhaps as enemies are defeated, the player(s) earn Otakash which is redeemable for upgrades and power-ups in the Dealer's Room...

Since the game already referred itself to be like River City Ransom, maybe enemies will drop coins and yell "Barf!!" after being defeated. Then you use their money to get stuff from dealer's room, like how in RCR, you used punk's money to get food to recover health and for other things.

Technique power-ups are needed. Some of the best things to do in RCR were playing stickball (with dropped weapons, the stick and the rock) or bowling for enemies (torpedo-throw special ability).
Chang.E
Currently Lost & Found. Yes, I get the irony.

#44 Daniel Perales

Daniel Perales

Seasoned Otaku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

Sorry to be late in the game (no pun, intended), but to share some of my recollection from the first Otakon, I remember seeing life-sized cardboard cut-outs of Bean Bandit, Priss in her hard-suit from the original "Bubblegum Crisis" OVA, and Lum wearing her tiger bikini from "Urusei Yatsura", while approching Registration, which was nothing more than a table manned by two guys, with blank badges, and a cash-box. Once I got my badge, the first thing I did was hit the Dealer's Room (more like closet), which was about the size of an average hotel's double-bed room (I think there was only 4 or 5 vendors at the time), bought a stack of Anime soundtrack CDs, 2 VHS tapes, and some art-books. Also, I saw maybe 2 or 3 screenings, and maybe a panel.

Popular cosplay characters that I remember that time were, Ranma (both Male and Female form), Ryoga, Shampoo, and Akane, all from "Ranma 1/2", most of the "Sailor Moon" senshis, Yohko from "Devil Hunter Yohko", Nadia from "The Secret of Blue Water", Kiki, from "Kiki's Delivery Service", and I just vagely remember seeing Ai, from "Video Girl Ai", and Ryoko, Sasami, and Washu, from "Tenchi Muyo!".

The second Otakon (1995) was a bit more interesting because I became much more involved in things. It was also because it was the one and only 4-day con. There were things left over from the year before like those life-sized cut-outs, and more of the same cosplays, but with other new stuff. The big talk of the con was the American broadcast premiere of "Sailor Moon". This was also the con that introduced me to the "Sony Playstation" and "Battle Arena Toshinden" before it's American debut.

Things that stood out for me that year was: The very first time I ever ran into LARPer's (I never even knew what LARP was). How everybody was hogging on to the Sony Playstaion. There was a wedding reception going on in another part of the hotel, and some cosplayers crashed in the party. The the funiest thing of all: The 4th Day! I saw a lot of attendees and Staff members walking around all dazed and confused on mid-morning. There were people still sleeping against the walls on the hotel's hallways and lobby. It was almost like a scene of the shopping mall from one of the "Dead" movies. I went to the Dealer's Room one last time (no one was bothering checking badges anymore), and some vendors were giving stuff away. They just wanted to leave. I left like around 1:30PM that Monday.

I don't know if that will give you any new ideas, but maybe other con veterans like myself can actually add their own take in Otakon's early years.
Danny Perales
Attended every Otakon since 1994

#45 Studionasu

Studionasu

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Here's some game info to chew on. These are some features that were planned or already in the game before we announced the project at Otakon: =)

At present, CHB is a side-scrolling beat em' up, or "brawler" with many fighting game aspects. We've already incorporated combos, air combos, chains, links, hitstun, damage scaling, and more traditional 2 player fighting game aspects. In the works are (of course) supers and team supers. You'll be able to utilize team supers with a friend in multi player, or in single player via a "tag" style hero swap system ala MvC.

Characters will level, will buy upgrades from dealers throughout the game, and learn new attacks and power-ups by purchasing their favorite manga or anime. Enemies drop coins to be used in this fashion. (though I LOVE the term Ota-coins!) Example: you might buy "Pirate Manga" to get enemies to drop more coins, or "Ninja Manga" to add another hit to your air combo. Each manga has multiple volumes, so you have a customizable upgrade system. (Magical Girl volume I, II, III, etc) Coins will have additional uses outside of the main game. =) It’s un-likely that you’ll be able to max out a single character in one play-through. An un-lockable mode will let you continue the game with the character’s current abilities from the beginning at a modified difficulty level, ala Chrono trigger’s new game plus or Diablo. The game will remember your hero’s progress as you switch characters. Playing characters over from scratch is also possible.

There will, as previously stated, be a VS mode. This will be 2 to 4 player in teams or free for all. Multiplayer arenas will have varied obstacles and items floating around. The fighting game mechanics we’ve implemented made this feature a no-brainer. It may not be on the level of competitive fighters, since our main focus is the main game, but we’ll work hard and test extensively to keep it as fun and balanced as possible. I’m very excited about this mode.
Feel free to ask questions directly at our twitter and I’ll do my best to answer the ones I can! =) Don’t want to give everything away just yet! Thanks everyone for your continued support, especially so early in the project! Here’s a concept sketch peek!
Posted Image

#46 Studionasu

Studionasu

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Most years Otakon has had a "theme" and we've done most of our art and such based on that. So the idea of using the suits as powerups is good -- and it gives you 20 levels to work with. Since we've done a time travel theme a few years ago, you could run through the first few levels and then warp back and forth to various Otakon years. Mini-levels, at least, might be possible:

Levels based on older years might even look more 8-bit or 16-bit, as appropriate.

Otakon Doom Mod from 1996, and Hunt Valley Inn was our home.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=439lOBABAX0

Something based on this would be a great mini-level and a great nod to the past.

XD this is awsome. I remember the days that we spent long, long hours making Doom wads. Definitely something to try and work with here.

#47 The Otakutopian

The Otakutopian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

1. What would you imagine a 'Chibi Cow' to look like in game if they made one? Would it be a mascot character or a full character?
Probably would make it kinda cute and, well, chibi. Maybe like the "Hamtaro" or "Tamagotchi" anime, or even like "Pokemon". It would at least be a mascot character, basically being featured throughout the game like the way that Babbit thing was featured on "Kodocha". If it could be a full character, it might be a secret/unlockable character.

2. Would you like to see more game play videos and/or developer commentary/video diaries as the game progresses through the stages of creation?
Sure. As long as they keep the spoilers to a minimum (which is really few to none). (At least the story mode.) Part of the fun of playing a good game is being surprised along the way, right?

3. When you look back two weeks ago to when the game was first announced, what was the initial draw that made you interested in this game?
Probably the fact that somebody's actually making an official game that would be reminiscent of the con itself. Well that and the fact that many of us will actually get a chance to be a part of making it instead of just playing it. And also the idea of playing a fighting game based on the con also sounds great. Basically, just being a big part of Otakon history would be the short answer.

And some of the stuff that Studio Nasu has already considered doing sounds pretty good. Though some of it (the leveling up and coins to use at shops) also feels reminiscent of the "Scott Pilgrim" game, which itself felt like a salute to all of the old-school video games. Hope to hear some more great news about the game whenever possible.

#48 Studionasu

Studionasu

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

The Kickstarter goes live this Thursday the 23rd at 8:PM EST! A kickstarter URL will be available at launch, and posted on the Studio Nasu website, facebook and twitter!

Here's a teaser screenshot of actual gameplay so far. More to come!

Posted Image

#49 The Otakutopian

The Otakutopian

Neophyte Otaku

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Studio Nasu. Glad to know when to look forward to the launch of the game's kickstarter fundraiser. You said it'll started on 8:00 PM EST on Thursday. You mean 9:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time?

Well, anyway, I've found the fundraiser's event page on facebook (Hope you don't mind, Studio Nasu): http://www.facebook....59159147534823/

As long as I'm here, I might as well get some more ideas off my chest since it got a little quiet this past week.

If (and I mean "if") the game gets released for the portable consoles (DSi/3DS family, PSP, PS Vita, etc.), and there's going to be downloadable stuff for the game, maybe some of the stuff can be offered at next year's Otakon. Well, at least, it can premiere at the con and then be released online later on so that those people who couldn't attend the con can still get their hands on it.

Not sure if you're taking requests on characters for the game. So far, from what I've heard, the game's gonna have Otakon's Hiroko-chan and Hiroshi-kun and MegaTokyo's Ping and I think the Ice Cold Water Guy (also from Otakon.) Correct me if I'm wrong. But anyway, you could probably include characters from other American-related manga/graphic novels like characters from Aimee Major Steinberger (creator of "Japan Ai: A Tall Girl's Adventures in Japan") or Sonny Strait (yes, the voice actor who did Krillin, Maes Hughes, and the first TOM from Toonami did some manga too: like this). That's, of course, if any of these people will be available at the time of production

Well, that's all I have for now. Just thought I'd help keep this forum going. Good luck with everything. And again, I hope this game turns out really well.

#50 Studionasu

Studionasu

Fresh Meat

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

The kickstarter is now live!!!
http://www.kickstart...m-up-video-game