Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Revan last won the day on January 14

Revan had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

12 Good


About Revan

  • Rank
    Neophyte Otaku

Profile Information

  • Gender

Recent Profile Visitors

1,143 profile views
  1. Cheaper Badges for 2018

    I'll be curious about the details on this, which I'm sure will be talked about at the 'State of Otakorp' panel this year. On the one hand, I'm glad this will mean more people attending the con. It can only help in keeping it going strong. On the other hand, more people will be a personal inconvenience to me, so I am against that. (I'm a very selfish, lazy man. )
  2. Your first Otakon

    I'm not sure if this is the best forum for it, so if it needs to be moved I apologize. In honor of the 25th Otakon, I propose we share how we got into anime and came into the Otakon fold. My story begins in the early 90s. A friend of mine got me into anime when he would come home from college during the holidays with copies of anime in raw Japanese. (I specifically remember Akira and Grey: Digital Target.) I was pretty much hooked from the get go, even if I didn't understand exactly what was going on in the story. Eventually I started picking up subbed tapes at the various local comic shows, (Ranma 1/2 and Project A-ko being particular favorites of mine.) which I then shared with my brother and friends. Of that group, my brother expressed the most interest in it. Then at Philcon* 1993, I came upon the usual table filled with fliers for different cons and area clubs. This particular one caught my eye. Except for what I saw at Philcon and the like, there wasn't much anime around at the time. (This was a few years before Suncoast Video carried a stock, IIRC.) I asked my brother if he wanted to go to State College for an anime con. In July he drove us to State College for our first Otakon, and we've been going ever since. * This was when it was still in Philadelphia, and when I was still going to the con.
  3. Hotels

    Got in a little late, so the Marriott was gone. The nearest one I saw with 2 beds was the Hampton Inn, so I grabbed it. It means my brother & I have to walk a little, but it's not like we don't need the exercise. (I was spoiled by so many years of the Hyatt in Baltimore, and there were years where we had to room at the... Wyndham? I'm not sure if it changed names over the years.) OTOH, there are some perks to the deal - complimentary hot breakfast, microwave in the room - so I guess I'll just have to live with that.
  4. Hotels

    I think in a way we've become spoiled about the availability of hotels immediately after the current con. I know I don't mind getting it out of the way early, but there is a maxim that comes to mind about this whole situation: Cuivis dolori remedium est patientia* or, Patience is the remedy for all suffering.** We just have to wait it out. It may be tomorrow, it may be a month, but it will be done. * I always thought the verb went at the end of the sentence in Latin. Admittedly I took Latin 1 in high school years before I started going to Otakon, so I could be wrong about this. **If I could just convince the customers where I work of this, my job would be a lot easier.
  5. Hotels

    To paraphrase the 90/90 rule: The first 90 percent of the project accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the project accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time.
  6. Hotels

    Out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience with the Henley? I was just looking at the different hotels and saw this one a block away from the convention center. Out of curiosity I started to book it for the Otakon 2018 dates, and it came up for $199 / night. (Cheaper than the Mariott even with the Otakon rate.) It even has an afternoon tea service! (Though I don't know if they'd appreciate me there in t-shirt, shorts, and sandals sipping my Dragon Pearl Jasmine and nibbling on finger sandwiches.) Some downsides that I can see are 1) that it looks like they only have single bed rooms even if you have 2 adults. (I'm told I have a tendency to snore - loudly, or so I'm told -, so I don't think my brother would appreciate me sounding "like a jet engine" at point blank range.) and 2) I've seen stories of bedbugs there. (Though these look like they're a couple of years old, so the situation may be rectified.) So, anyone have information on them?
  7. I Have Not Received My Badge In the Mail!

    As of this morning, I didn't have a tracking number. When I got home from work today, the badges I ordered were in the mail. I just checked, and there is now a confirmation number in my membership.