Idea for a possible add-on to Otakon-Cosplay related events?

So at a con I went to recently they had Cosplay Chess as an option (for anyone who dosen't know, it's cosplayers as human chess pieces and two people play a game of chess, manipulating the 'pieces' and when a piece has to take on someone else, everyone gets off the board and the two 'fight' and one loses.) It was a clever idea that I thought was common at cons, but I haven't seen it at Otakon. So I was wondering if it would be a valid suggestion to ask if Cosplay Chess could be considered for an event at 2007's Otakon? :D;

It's actually not very common at cons, but has become more popular at anime cons in the last year or so...especially after last years, anime cosplay chess drama. *rolls eyes* You tend to see it more at rennaissance fairs and the like. Anywho, most of the organizers of cosplay chess usually run it like a panel, so it would be up to the organizers of the chess events if they'd like to run it at Otakon, or if someone else stepped up to run it. And apply for permissions and such like other events. Though it would be neat to see more of a variety of characters that would show up at a huge con like Otakon.

I think that is a neat idea.

Location is always an issue. When it comes down to a panel or workshop room, coordinators do not want to take out 1 or more hours to remove chairs and set up the "board." Not to mention another hour or so to put back the chairs (factor that in with the costs of union labor). Open areas like the lobbies have their own problems with traffic flow.

The event will have problems retianing its audience unless things are constantly moving, and the entertainment value is high (this is true for any 1+ hour event).

I'm not saying that it can't be done. Feel free to plot and plan, then submit the proposal. :)

I think that is a neat idea.

Location is always an issue. When it comes down to a panel or workshop room, coordinators do not want to take out 1 or more hours to remove chairs and set up the "board." Not to mention another hour or so to put back the chairs (factor that in with the costs of union labor). Open areas like the lobbies have their own problems with traffic flow.

The event will have problems retianing its audience unless things are constantly moving, and the entertainment value is high (this is true for any 1+ hour event).

I'm not saying that it can't be done. Feel free to plot and plan, then submit the proposal. :D

While dance lobby seems unused, the space is shared with the autograph lines. If anyone was there for Yoshiki-san's autograph... place was packed. It was the best we could make of a bad scheduling situation (3 popular autograph sessions one right after the other, and an event on the stage).

Even if things were perfect for that lobby (no autographs, no event conflicts), you still have a problem of where to place spectators. BCC tells us we have have to maintain 10-15 feet clearance from the walls.

I hate to be a wet blanket so early in your planning phase! :(

While dance lobby seems unused, the space is shared with the autograph lines. If anyone was there for Yoshiki-san's autograph... place was packed. It was the best we could make of a bad scheduling situation (3 popular autograph sessions one right after the other, and an event on the stage).

Even if things were perfect for that lobby (no autographs, no event conflicts), you still have a problem of where to place spectators. BCC tells us we have have to maintain 10-15 feet clearance from the walls.

I hate to be a wet blanket so early in your planning phase! :D

It was also used for the drummers, and in the past has been used for lightweight concerts. It's not a very big room.

In all cases, it's been a logistical challenge. And with chess, you need a bit of an aerial view to make sense of the board. It works well in jousting arenas at Renfaire.

The thing you MIGHT be able to do with cosplay chess is run it as an event in conjunction with Masquerade -- because you could potentially get good camera angles, and at very least youv'e got the arena seats on the sides.

But to be honest...and speaking as someone who has been *in* such games at Faire....it's VERY difficult to create a compelling chess match unless the personalities are well known, and even then it's an uphill battle. You need to organize 32 people for the board itself, plus "movers" who ensure the pieces go where they should, plus the chess players themselves working through a script. Most people won't follow the chess game itself very well, so you have the challenge of making the game itself understandable to people who don't play it (which is, sadly, most of the audience).