Costume Question for Masquerade

I moved this question to its own thread, since it deals with Masquerade, not Hall Costume Contest. They have different rules and coordinators, so what's acceptable for one contest may not necessarily hold true for the other contest.

I'm not the authority for Masquerade, though, so I'm sorry I can't help any further than this.

For an answer I am going to quote the 2006 rules.

15. Skits and costumes must predominantly pertain in some way to anime, manga, anime-style video games or some facet of East Asian culture. Original costumes may be worn but are ineligible for craftsmanship judging as it is impossible to determine the accuracy of the costume.
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure that's entirely true.

Well, last year in my skit 2 out of 3 were Cirque du Soleil characters and the other was Alice. (We also did happen to win a judge's award, though.) I guess you can say that our Dralion cosplayer did help, since that was the only thing even remotely related to east asian culture..:D

• 2 weeks later...

The question to ask in this case is "does my skit have anything to do with anime, manga, anime-style video games, east-asian culture, etc.?"

If your costumes fit that bill, then yes. If your skit's subject matter falls within those themes, then yes. If your skit has a bunch of American comic book characters re-enacting a scene from one of those books, then no.

Nothing keeps you from having non-theme characters in your skit as long as the gut of your skit is answering to that theme. It has to be somewhere... whether it be in the costumes, the skit, or both.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have a new question, a group of friends and I are planning on doing a skit, and I know craftsmanship is also judged, but can some individuals NOT be judged on craftsmanship because they have to comission their costume?

Also, what do I have to do to submit a skit?

(Never done a skit a skit before, be gentle)

OK, I have a new question, a group of friends and I are planning on doing a skit, and I know craftsmanship is also judged, but can some individuals NOT be judged on craftsmanship because they have to comission their costume?

Also, what do I have to do to submit a skit?

(Never done a skit a skit before, be gentle)

It sounds like there may be some confusion on that note.

I think what Lady is referring to is the difference between the Hall Costume Contest and the Masquerade. The HCC is mostly craftsmanship-based judging. The Masquerade involves skits, but also has some craftsmanship judging in it. They are two entirely separate events.

Now I'm not the authority on Masquerade, but I believe /viewtopic.php?p=142721#142721">this ruling would apply to allthatsgeek's question about certain members not being judged for craftsmanship.