Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ithilienne

List of Panels for Otakon 2007

PANELS SCHEDULED TO APPEAR AT OTAKON 2007!

FAN PANELS!

10 Games You Should Have Played

20 Years of Megaman

A Beginner's Look at Asian Ball-jointed Dolls

Alcohol and Anime!

Amateur Voice Acting

AMV Panel: How to Make AMVs

AMV Tips and Tricks

Angsty Teens and Giant Robots: The Mobile Suit Gundam Experience

Animation: How It Works

Anime 101

Anime Club FAQ and Summit

Anime Name That Tune

Anime Parliamentâ„¢

Anime Recruitment

Bad Anime, Bad!

Be Pure, Be Proper, Be Beautiful: The World of Takarazuka Revue

Between the Lines: Western Symbolism in Anime

Beyond Pin-ups: Manga

Characters Welcome: Anime RPG Campaigns

Cosplay Photography

Cosplay Props and Weaponry

Cowboy Bebop

Days of the Wolves of Mibu: Shinsengumi!

The DBZ You've Never Seen

Digital Production for Comicking

DIY Lolita Fashion

Fan Parody Summit

Fanfiction 101

Fansubbing and Scanlation

Fomicry: The NEW Magitech

Fullmetal Alchemist

Great Teacher Largo

How to Become a Ninja in 1 Hour

How to Become a Samurai in 1 Hour

How to Survive a Zombie Apocalypse

How Troublesome: A Naruto Fan Panel

I Can't Believe You Haven't Seen This!

Into the Sky: The Society, Technology, and World of Last Exile

Introduction to Basic Embroidery and Beading

Inuyasha: Beyond the Anime

Japanese Indie Rock Music

Japanese Street Fashion

Japanese Wrestling

JPOP101: Intro to J-Music

JPOP225: Exploring Kawaii Idols

Kendo!

Learn to Para-Para

Lolita Fashion, Beyond the Basics

Lunar: Past, Present, Future

Older Otaku: Fandom from a Different Perspective

OverClocked Remix: Video Game Music Evolved

Podcaster's Roundtable

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon

Silent Hill: Bigger, Badder, Bloodier

So You Think You Know Visual Kei?

State of Otakudom

Trends in Tokusatsu

Webcomics HOWTO

YURI

18+ FAN PANELS AT OTAKON 2007 (note: Proof of age required!)

Digital Love

Evangelion

Gekiga: Putting the 'Man' Back in Manga

How-to: Hentai!

Succeed or Die Writing II: This Is Fanfiction!

Yaoi? It's More Likely Than You Think!

GUEST PANELS AT OTAKON 2007

AAA

Aaron Dismuke

Colleen Clinkenbeard

Dub Actors After Dark

The Elric Brothers (Vic Mignogna and Aaron Dismuke)

Eminence

Haruhi Suzumiya with Stephanie Sheh

Hitoshi Sakimoto

Kenji Kodama

Jennifer Sekiguchi

Little Gamers

Maki Murakami

Mamiko Noto

Megatokyo

Michihiko Suwa

Mike Sinterniklaas

Morio Asaka

Ryuhei Kitamura

Steve Blum

Tomokazu Seki

The Vic and Steve Show

INDUSTRY PANELS AT OTAKON 2007

ADV Films

ADV Films Sneak Peek

Anime News Network

Bandai Entertainment

Bandai Visual USA

Del Rey Manga

Funimation

Gaia Interactive

Geneon

Geneon Late Night

ImaginAsian TV

Manga Entertainment

Media Blasters

Purple SKY Magazine

Score Entertainment

Tokyopop

Please note that panels are subject to change, and may be added or subtracted between now and Otakon; look for updates at the convention next week!

Hooray! Thanks so much for all of your tireless hard work! I can already see a fistful I'm going to have to work my gofer schedule around. Still gonna try for twenty hours somehow....

Mine wasn't...? After all this? Huh?

Thanks a lot! This may indeed be the year that I got to more than 2 or 3 panels. I see about 6 or 7 I want to attend (which with my luck will all be at the same time).

Although, I wonder why the amateur VA panel is 18+...

If you have questions or concerns about your panel, please feel free to PM me with your name and your panel's name, as well as your concern.

Yeah I'm a little disappointed too, because both of my panels (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Fan Panel and Naoko Takeuchi Fan Panel) were not approve. It looks like there will not be any related Sailor Moon panels at Otakon this year. Since I was the only one that requested for these. These panels were alot different than the ones in the past.

I guess the only con this year that will enjoy these panels will be Matsuricon in September in Dublin, OH. For those of you that plan to be in that area.

~Lilly-chan

HOLY CRAP~! (heart attack)

Ah, thank you so much! We are SO excited to do a panel! Thank you for the opportunity, we are looking forward to it!

Woo! 10 Games you Should Play hit the list! Number one baby!

We look forward to putting on a great panel for you guys, hope you'll come down and show us your support.

Is there any chance those of us that weren't accepted can perhaps find out why we did not get accepted? Just wondering (and kinda hope it isn't that I didn't send my waiver form in, I was given the impression I could hold it until the convention, which was odd since I'm certain I was to mail it in beforehand each other year)

Nice job having a narrow variety of panels. Lulz. :roll:

AMV Panel: How to Make AMVs

AMV Tips and Tricks

AMVs 101

AMVs: The Basics

I was so excited about seeing my panel first on the list I just read the rest of the panels.

What's the real difference between "How to Make AMV's" "AMV's 101" and "The Basics" ? You could roll them all into one big informative panel with all the guests and have a good panel there.

Tips and Tricks sounds like the only different from the other three.

I was also sad that none of Lilly-Chan's panels got picked because not only was I going to help her on the panels but it's also the 15th Anniversary of Sailor Moon this year.

It would be great to have a panel for it even though the show is a bit older and wouldn't pull in as many people as a newer show but I still think people would enjoy it.

Guys, calm down with the bashing. Just because your panels didn't make it onto the list doesn't mean that those that did have no right to be there. I may not want to go to every one of them, but I'm not going to argue a single one's position on the list.

The fact of the matter is that this is probably the final list. No amount of whining over why your Sailor Moon panel or your in-depth discussion of Kaiju movies didn't make it will make them change their minds--and acting like you've got a severe case of sour grapes wouldn't make me remember you fondly for next year, were I a panel ops. staffer.

I'm sure the panels are planned based on popularity (or perceived popularity) of the subject--simply put, a panel on AMVs is going to pack the house, as are certain spoofs of popular TV gameshows, Manga, drawing, and fanfiction will crowd a room faster than anything I can think of, hentai/18+ will pack them in, Cosplay and popular topics (zombies, pirates, ninjas) will draw massive crowds.... It's as much protection to keep you from sitting for half an hour/an hour in an empty room while the members wander the halls saying, "I wish they put on panels *I* want to go to, instead of giving every schmuck who wants one a table and a mic!"

It does suck to plan something and wait a really long time to find out that your plans were for naught, but you guys need to take into consideration that the panels list isn't a "them" vs. "us" situation--the panel ops. staff are people, and they have used their best judgment in a difficult situation to try to create a happy equilibrium between popular and niche panels. Please be understanding; not everyone who applied can have a panel this year, but there's always next year. Enjoy this year's convention and polish your panel's pitch--maybe you'll make it in next time.

I've been PMing, and my panel getting dropped was more the result of it getting lost in the mail, not insufficient or yawn-worthy content (we actually stuffed Panel 3 last year with the Sentai panel).

Unfortunately, I don't think even past years' success can guarantee a spot on the list, as even last year's wildly successful zombie panel didn't make it. Maybe they decided to open the floor to new panelists? If they gave a panel to everyone who ever had a successful panel, there wouldn't be room for any newbies. Maybe there was an industry panel that would have competed with your panel? I don't really know. I'm not a staffer, so I really don't know what goes into the selection. I'm only trying to remind you guys that they're people, too, and that I'm certain that, though we may not know or understand it, there must be a method to the madness.

I'm glad to see that there's going to be a Silent Hill panel at Otakon this year. I went to a Silent Hill panel last year and that was packed.

Nice list of panels. ^^ Though I kind of agree four AMV panels is a bit much. Especially when there is only two cosplay ones? o_o I'm a bit surprised.

Hi, I was on the Amateur Voice Acting panel last year, and involved the year before that, and I ASSUME the AVA panel listed above is my group's....but why are we listed under the 18+ area?? Unless its a different group? Confusion.

EDIT: Teach me to read every post carefully. PM sent.

To respond to a few common concerns:

There is no written down formula for panel selection. Other departments send out schedule drafts, and from there I find out how much space I have to work with, and what times are free. Yes, Panel 4 seats 750 people, but because of that it's often full of Industry or Guest panels.

As I went through the list and made a spreadsheet of submissions, I tried to color-code things into categories (I think they were things like anime-related, game-related, J-related, etc) so that I wouldn't have two dozen Final Fantasy VII panels, or what have you.

The list for this year includes several panels about Japanese history or culture; several games; some on-the-wackier-side late-night programming; some about con culture; and of course some about anime.

I apologize once again that not everyone's panel could be accepted; most of the panels submitted looked exceptionally interesting and were presented very well. There was a Cowboy Bebop one that would have been wonderful to see this year, what with Steve Blum being at the convention, but time wouldn't allow it and there wasn't a good place for it. Many of the panels not on the list are the same way.

We do also try to rotate fresh panels and panelists each year - I believe that this year, there's about a 50-50 mix of previous Otakon panelists and new faces.

Glad to see Japanese Wrestling is back this year.

Well, it's good to know that for all of the attempts to make good with the webcomics world (what with the form that went up a few months back to 'help promote webcomics at Otakon'), we won't have a panel this year to speak up.

Thanks, gang. See you all in the Alley.

I'm really at a loss. I was sent all the forms and I was told I was preapproved and didn't make the list? I sent a PM asking questions but are there two panels department heads?

Well, it's good to know that for all of the attempts to make good with the webcomics world (what with the form that went up a few months back to 'help promote webcomics at Otakon'), we won't have a panel this year to speak up.

Thanks, gang. See you all in the Alley.

Huh... wha...

No Webcomics panel?

I was pre-approved!!! I got two Otakon staffers who also did A Miracle of Science as well as T. Cambell for this year.

Following up with a PM.

Huh... wha...

No Webcomics panel?

I was pre-approved!!! I got two Otakon staffers who also did A Miracle of Science as well as T. Cambell for this year.

Following up with a PM.

Please do -- due to computer problems, it is possible that some panel requests were missed when stuff was handed off.

I think that's everyone main gripe is that there's too many mainstream panels, many of which are redundant (four AMV panels and five or more generic anime panels?), too many panels unrelated to anime, and hardly any niche panels. It's a very narrow selection. This is a strong contrast from previous Otakons.

I'm not asking for there to be all niche panels, but it wouldn't hurt for there to be a handful, as with previous years. With the current list, there's nearly zero. And besides that, there's none of the wide variety of panels from experienced panelists that we've had consistently in the past. There isn't even an anime blogging panel, which is a very important aspect of the internet-based anime populace today! Nor a moe panel, which is a strong aspect in anime today.

Otakon's essentially lagging behind other conventions because of this. In addition, I think you'll see a significant segment of attendees skipping out on most/all fan panels this year, due to the lack of variety.

Maybe there's some issues at the staffing level this year? That's the only way I can explain it.

No Metal Gear Solid panel?

Otakon has always had a Metal Gear Solid panel.... :x

Why is there not one this year? :cry: Especially with the launch of the new game, and the fairly large following that comes to Otakon. (Otacon/Otakon, anyone? :wink: )

It's also celebrating 20 years.

How is there so much passive-aggressive griping about "narrow" panel selections? If yours didn't get chosen, that's the luck of the draw. We don't always need a(nother) Sailor Moon or Power Rangers panel, or a panel that's replayed three or four times already.

This is a quick break-down that I came up with:

Gaming: 5

Fashion: 3

Cosplay: 3

AMVs: 4

Music: 6-7

Anime/manga (general): 6-7

Anime/manga (specific): 6-7

Non-Anime Culture (not listed so far): 5-6

Writing: 2

And that still doesn't encompass the entire list or show the cross-over that a lot of panels seem to have. (And, as you can see, having four AMV panels isn't really that many comparatively.)

Personally, I'm really excited about the selection this year, even though it'd be nice if there were a few panels in other directions. But there are plenty of things on here that I wasn't expecting that look pretty interesting. (Who can pass up Last Exile? Honestly.) Broaden your horizens.

>Personally, I'm really excited about the selection this year, even though it'd be nice if there were a few panels in other directions.

I think you'd be surprised how many attendees are going to skip most/all of the panels this year. That's where I'll leave that topic at.

>(Who can pass up Last Exile? Honestly.)

Well, there's not really much to discuss, and it's not even that old. I'd rather have panels about older series, if the director of the show isn't going to be there.

Again, moe is a very relative subject to today's anime. I had a friend who proposed a moe panel, which could be a very entertaining panel, but was rejected in place of a host of other redundancy and tired panels. It's a symptom among this year's panels. There's nothing related to today's anime scene. It's all your generic boilerplate that we see every year, but even more of it than usual.

You seriously don't see how there's less of a variety this year? I've been going for the past three years and I don't remember not caring about a single panel in the past as this time around.

On the contrary, this is the first year where I see more than a few panels I DO want to attend. It all depends on the person, you know. It's impossible to satisfy everybody. Like the staff has already said, they rotate out new and old faces every year. So it's inevitable that every year is NOT going to be the same.

If attendees skip out this year, then I don't mind. :) No more "sorry, we're full" staff members telling me I can't get into a panel will be a blessing.

I am dissapointed in finding out that my group's panel isn't on the list either, after being given a message that we were approved.

I could complain about how my Bebop panel idea was rejected, even with a VA who was a huge part of the show attending...but I'm more curious that if you have the suggestions that were 'missed', are you going to have to cancel other people's already approved panels or is there still space to work them in?

I think you'd be surprised how many attendees are going to skip most/all of the panels this year. That's where I'll leave that topic at.

>Odd. You mean to say that many people aren't interested in gaming, Japanese fashion and other culture, cosplay, music, fanfiction, themes in anime or any of the specifically mentioned series?

Thanks for the missing the point, but I think you never will. You're not of the same demographic that I am (ie more seasoned anime fan). While that group might be underrepresented at Otakon by now, it's still there enough, and panel attendance will suffer because of it.

Do you really think the hundreds of people like me care about any of these trite mainstream panels? I don't think so.

I've been going to Otakon for seven years now, and I honestly think this panel listing is fine. Whether your seasoned or a newbie, that really has nothing to do with whether you find the panels interesting or not.

I can assure you, with over 20,000 people attending, the panel rooms will still have enough attendance.

Ladies and gentlemen,

If you had a panel and were "pre-approved" or received an approval letter at any point, and did not appear on the final list, I'm really sorry. Here's what happened:

Recently, Panels changed hands; it is no longer being run by the same person who was running it at the beginning of the year. During this transition between Panels heads, a lot of information got lost, or was not conveyed by the old Panels head to the new Panels head, who was in charge of drafting the final schedule and approving or not approving panels.

I want to assure you that we weren't ignoring your prior approvals or suddenly changing our minds without reason; the information wasn't available to us.

I'm very sorry for what's happened, and we're doing our best to fix it, so please, get back to Meredith with your panel information as soon as you can so we can get this mess all cleaned up.

Thank you so much for your patience, and I'm sorry again for the trouble.

I submitted a panel request for teaching Gunpla/Resin Figure Model Building. Wonder if this slipped through the cracks or if there is just a general disinterest in the idea?

Granted last year I presented the same panel for three days at 2 hours each day at Anime Expo and had a standing room only crowd in a hall that had a max cap at 100 people - for 2 out of the 3 panels. I would guess that there would be a similar interest for learning to build gundam/mecha/anime figure models since there has been a model contest at Otakon and that there are quite a few dealers selling gundam models.

Anyone receive an email telling them they were approved or not approved?

I submitted a panel request for teaching Gunpla/Resin Figure Model Building. Wonder if this slipped through the cracks or if there is just a general disinterest in the idea?

Granted last year I presented the same panel for three days at 2 hours each day at Anime Expo and had a standing room only crowd in a hall that had a max cap at 100 people - for 2 out of the 3 panels. I would guess that there would be a similar interest for learning to build gundam/mecha/anime figure models since there has been a model contest at Otakon and that there are quite a few dealers selling gundam models.

Anyone receive an email telling them they were approved or not approved?

ATTENTION!

If you received a pre-approval notification from Becky for your panel, and your panel is not on the list on the first page of this thread, please E-MAIL (do not PM!) your name, your panel's name, and its description with the subject "OTAKON 2007 PRE-APPROVED PANEL" (caps-lock optional) to panels at otakon dot org

If an email from your group with the requested information is not received by midnight tonight (6/18 ), your pre-approved panel will not be re-considered.

That actually sounds like more of a workshop than a panel. For some reason, there doesn't seem to be a clear separation of lines between panel submissions and workshop submissions. I know last year I had to manually forward a bunch of workshop submissions myself to the head of workshops because of that.

Maybe you'd want to post that notice on the front page of Otakon.com as well, for the people who don't visit the forums and/or follow the RSS feed?

I'd only think it fair.

Hopefully who ever is in charge of the Metal Gear panel will step up by then.

Otakon can not be complete with Metal Gear. :P

Not to say if it does not be accepted I would be totally destroyed. I'm still coming to Otakon, but of course it would not be complete. :P

Maybe you'd want to post that notice on the front page of Otakon.com as well, for the people who don't visit the forums and/or follow the RSS feed?

I'd only think it fair.

...is the current list still safe to consider accepted? Cause we've already set all our gears into motion for prep.

Two panels were redacted from the list:

AMVs 101 and AMVs: The Basics

If your panel isn't either of those two panels, then yes.

ALRIGHT!!!! Anime Name that Tune is going to be one of the panels, I'm going to win that game!!!! I know a lot about anime, J-Pop, & Game Music.