Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ithilienne

List of Panels for Otakon 2007

Does this affect workshops and when might a verdict be down on them? I personally do not have one up for consideration, but a friend does.

Does this affect workshops and when might a verdict be down on them? I personally do not have one up for consideration, but a friend does.

Two panels were redacted from the list:

AMVs 101 and AMVs: The Basics

If your panel isn't either of those two panels, then yes.

Were any panels redirected towards workshops? Just trying to figure if my request got lost in the shuffle or that it was actually denied. If it was denied, then I can stop worry about what if it got lost or something.

The panel list this year looks average. I'm glad to see some changes might be made, but on a side note, I'm very happy that there is going to be a Gundam panel this year.

I would like to state though, that I hope there is going to be a Metal Gear panel. Last year, the seating in the Panel room was all taken up and people were all standing in the back and sitting on the floor. It was a hugely successful and fun filled panel with over the max attendance.

I would like to state though, that I hope there is going to be a Metal Gear panel. Last year, the seating in the Panel room was all taken up and people were all standing in the back and sitting on the floor. It was a hugely successful and fun filled panel with over the max attendance.

Huh, too bad. Since .hack (Roots, G.U., etc.) is really big this year, since it's in its throes of being released stateside, I'm a little surpised. I guess it's still too niche/my application wasn't really up to snuff. Speaking of up to snuff, an application guide would really help, in the future. I wasn't even sure what the panel staff were looking for in an application, so I simply included an overview, and expected e-mails in the case that I missed detailing anything.

On the same hand, I'm SHOCKED that there's not a Sailor Moon panel for the 15th anniversary!

And...

How to Become a Ninja in 1 Hour

How to Become a Samurai in 1 Hour

...do we really need to learn how to do both? Seriously? Seriously?

Introduction to Basic Embroidery and Beading

...people are really going to come to an anime convention to bead? I guess. This panel list just feels really... retro.

No "How to draw" panels/workshops this year? o.o;; I didn't ntoice before when I first glanced over the list to find my group's panel...but I've never seen Otakon without at least ONE art panel. Er, a non-hentai panel at least.

The embroidery and beading would be helpful to cosplayers, so I can see why that had been picked. But I've got to agree with the "in one hour..." panels. O_o;;; I'm not sure what the purpose is.

Thanks for the missing the point, but I think you never will. You're not of the same demographic that I am (ie more seasoned anime fan). While that group might be underrepresented at Otakon by now, it's still there enough, and panel attendance will suffer because of it.

Do you really think the hundreds of people like me care about any of these trite mainstream panels? I don't think so.

Do you really think the hundreds of people like me care about any of these trite mainstream panels? I don't think so.

Dropped an email to panels (AT) Otakon for reconsideration. Given that I'm bringing in T Campbell (webcomic writer extordinare and panelist in 2005) as well as Otakon's own Jon Kilgannon and Mark Sachs, the team behind A Miracle of Science, reconsideration would be greatly appreciated.

I sent an email too about my panel "The Dorky Side of Jrock"

Thanks to the staff for taking the time to go through everything. I really appreciate it :)

As of 10 PM Monday night, all APPROVAL notices have gone out.

This does not apply to those who re-submitted information about their pre-approved panels, and it does not include notices for those whose panels were not chosen.

Again, if you received a "pre-approval" notice from Becky, please email panels AT otakon.org with your name and your panel information and the subject OTAKON 2007 PRE-APPROVED PANEL. You have until midnight tonight to submit this information.

If your panel was on the list at the beginning of this thread, and you have not received an approval notice (they were sent to the primary panelist), please PM me with your name and your panel name and email, and I'll do my best to sort things out.

Thanks again for your patience, everyone.

- Meredith

Panels Department Head

Otakon 2007

Gah, short notice. When you posted that I was in the air en route to Los Angeles. Soon as I cracked open my laptop here and saw the notice I shot off the email. I know you have my application info (I copypasta'd it before for the PM), but I just did it again to be safe.

Dear panel coordinator,

I have submitted my panel applications to Ms.Thompson as soon as when the panel registration information became available.

I also have recently learned that many of the application information have been lost during the head transfer.

I am just wondering, are you sending confirmation to ALL of the main panel applicants to inform weather their panels have been accepted or declined?

If I didn’t get ANY such confirmation email, can I assume my panel applications did not get reviewed and were lost before the switch happened?

I understand that unexpected problem sometimes could happen, and it is unfortunate that this happened, and I believe Otakon will put extra care on coordinating panels next year.

It was little disappointing that many applicants were not followed up properly.

My panel co-hosts were coming over from Japan / Canada to attend Otakon.

I won’t mention their names here due to privacy but they are key people from the industries / community and our panels could have been beneficial / informative to attendees with such interest. We also had sponsors for give-away gifts.

It was very helpful if I could have received follow up emails ahead of this.

I look forward to see improvements in the next year.

Thank you for your time arranging the panels thought, I am sure you are all doing this for voluntary purpose.

Since our panels weren’t listed, I assume we won’t be hosting this year, but will be sure we will enjoy listening to other panels.

Is it possible to list the panelists names as well as the panel title on the web site? I can think of a few reasons for not wanting to reveal that information, but I also think it might remove a lot of possible confusion. I'm not really asking for it to happen so much as I'm wondering what you think about doing it vs. not doing it.

Dear panel coordinator,

I have submitted my panel applications to Ms.Thompson as soon as when the panel registration information became available.

I also have recently learned that many of the application information have been lost during the head transfer.

I am just wondering, are you sending confirmation to ALL of the main panel applicants to inform weather their panels have been accepted or declined?

If I didn’t get ANY such confirmation email, can I assume my panel applications did not get reviewed and were lost before the switch happened?

I understand that unexpected problem sometimes could happen, and it is unfortunate that this happened, and I believe Otakon will put extra care on coordinating panels next year.

It was little disappointing that many applicants were not followed up properly.

My panel co-hosts were coming over from Japan / Canada to attend Otakon.

I won’t mention their names here due to privacy but they are key people from the industries / community and our panels could have been beneficial / informative to attendees with such interest. We also had sponsors for give-away gifts.

It was very helpful if I could have received follow up emails ahead of this.

I look forward to see improvements in the next year.

Thank you for your time arranging the panels thought, I am sure you are all doing this for voluntary purpose.

Since our panels weren’t listed, I assume we won’t be hosting this year, but will be sure we will enjoy listening to other panels.

What Panel were you supposed to be putting on? You've given me no identifying information to go on.

Is it possible to list the panelists names as well as the panel title on the web site? I can think of a few reasons for not wanting to reveal that information, but I also think it might remove a lot of possible confusion. I'm not really asking for it to happen so much as I'm wondering what you think about doing it vs. not doing it.

I hadn't thought about it, to be honest; while I'm working on sending out the rest of the notices tonight, I'll consider it but the list will likely stay the way it is.

Um, I sent an email asking if you got my panel application at all... is there any way you can confirm/deny? I also asked Becky for feedback a number of times, since this was my first time applying, but recieved neither hide, nor hair in response. I was applying for a .hack panel.

Any feedback is great, thanks. :)

With an apology for the delay (we took a day trip today on the vacation and I didn't have a chance to compute):

- Remaining notices (for any panels not on the list) are still remaining. They will go out tomorrow.

- E-mails to Yahoo! addresses are bouncing. If a primary panelist has a Yahoo! address and has not received an APPROVAL notice from me, please PM me with a different, non-Yahoo! address so that I can correspond with you. :(

- PMs that have been sent are being replied to, and if you haven't received a reply yet, I have read it.

Thanks again for your patience with all this fuss, everyone.

- Meredith

Panels DH 2007

Greetings!

With the exception of those who were "pre-approved" (we are still making a decision on those, and notices will be sent tomorrow), all approval or denial notices have now been sent.

If you have not received a notice regarding the status of your panel, please PM me with your name and your panel's name, and I'll be happy to look into the situation.

ATTENTION PANELISTS: Please pre-register at this time! Select the 'pay by check' option, and email panels at otakon dot org with your panel's name, your name, and your Member ID and Submission ID numbers.

This information must be received by June 22 (Friday)! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Thanks again for your patience and understanding over the past week. :) Emails regarding times and locations will be forthcoming over the next week or so.

With the exception of those who were "pre-approved" (we are still making a decision on those, and notices will be sent tomorrow), all approval or denial notices have now been sent.

This information must be received by June 22 (Friday)! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Yeah, you guys are doing this sort of suddenly. I still haven't gotten an email yet, myself, and I'll be out of commission much of today (at a convention in Los Angeles this weekend...starting now).

I'm rather confused:

It is the 22nd and I have YET to get a confirm yes or no on my Doll Panel, especially since Becky pre-approved me way back on 2007/04/09 Mon AM 10:42:50 EDT (yes, I still have the e-mail).

What is going on?

I know my e-mail isn't bouncing as I've received Ota pre-reg info with no problems. =x

~Dizz

"A Beginner's Guide to Asian Ball-Joint Dolls"

I agree with dizzy- I was pre approved back in February (I kept everything that was sent to me) and I have yet to hear back as well. I just sent an email to the Panel FAQ page about my confirmation e-mail.

I'm rather confused:

It is the 22nd and I have YET to get a confirm yes or no on my Doll Panel, especially since Becky pre-approved me way back on 2007/04/09 Mon AM 10:42:50 EDT (yes, I still have the e-mail).

What is going on?

I know my e-mail isn't bouncing as I've received Ota pre-reg info with no problems. =x

~Dizz

"A Beginner's Guide to Asian Ball-Joint Dolls"

Hey you handle the Nekocon artist's alley don't you?

Did you send your information in back on the 18th when the person now handling the panels requested it, because in case you missed it the pre-approved panelist's information was lost when Becky left and Meredith took over. It's been a pretty big part of this thread for the last little while. If you missed the post on here and on the main page and didn't send in the information by midnight June 18th then according to the website you won't get the panel.

If you have only just received an approval today, please e-mail your pre-registration info to panels@otakon.org and bcc me at ebehar@otakon.org by midnight tomorrow (Saturday, June 23rd). I can't speak for registration, but we'll do what we can to get in the information of anybody who was not notified until the day the information was due.

Thank you.

Hello, everyone.

All notifications (approvals, denials, notifications for those who had been 'pre-approved') have been sent. Thank you again for your patience and understanding over the past week.

If you still have questions about the status of your panel, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks again,

Meredith

Panels DH 2007

I'm at my WIT'S END. I sent you (Meredith!) an e-mail almost a full business week ago concerning the status of my panel- I have not heard ANYTHING from ANYONE- not a denial, confirmation, acceptance, anything! I don't know what to do- I feel really cheated. Was my application even recieved in the first place? I don't know- I never recieved word from Becky or Meredith, or anyone else.

This all just feels incredibly helter-skelter. I know you guys are doing your best, but I feel like my shot at getting a panel was lost, and now I'm getting ignored further.

I'm at my WIT'S END. I sent you (Meredith!) an e-mail almost a full business week ago concerning the status of my panel- I have not heard ANYTHING from ANYONE- not a denial, confirmation, acceptance, anything! I don't know what to do- I feel really cheated. Was my application even recieved in the first place? I don't know- I never recieved word from Becky or Meredith, or anyone else.

This all just feels incredibly helter-skelter. I know you guys are doing your best, but I feel like my shot at getting a panel was lost, and now I'm getting ignored further.

I have some issues as well. I got my panel acceptance email this past Monday, and I was waiting for specific instructions on how panelist memberships were going to be handled this year. I was therefore a little worried this afternoon when I saw the posting linked on the main page, what with the due date being the same day as that of the posting. I did reg this afternoon, and told my co-panelists to do the same. Are we going to have problems getting badges?

Same here with monkey chunks. I got overworried because all three of us panelists at the Naruto fan panel were at work or unable to reach internet. And also I don't know if I screwed up earlier with my comp badge info for "lock-in"-ing. because there's a panels@otakon.com and .org.

I submitted all forms of information to ZGL and Panels and to all e-mails that relate to the manner.

I'm so worried and over-exhausted.

I get like that. I'm like a beaurcrat sometimes. Worried about every detail and possibility.

But anyway, I hope the higher-ups can hear our story of unable to make it into the very small time frame.

I submitted my partner's info and mine yesterday, since we saw the post Friday morning, both through the e-mail form and PM. Since then, I haven't heard anything.

I think we're all just antsy because of what happened, but we appreciate your hard work.

This is NOT cool, an email notification would have been better then posting a bulletin about pre-registering.

I was out of town on personal matters to attend and didn't have access to a computer.

I submitted my info this morning and I'm notifying my panelists right this second to do the same.

Well some people can access their emails off their cellphones. Our phones do that and we just reply from the cellphone

Scott Melzer and I(Jon Miller - No N.D.E Films) just found out about this whole situation this weekend as well, we've been trying to get in contact with Becky for the past month about just updating the panels we had been pre-approved of since the beginning of Feb. (Fan Parody Panic and the Fan Parody Summitt) We did not receive any emails on the current situation so we had no idea we had to submit information again.

So my question is.... Is there any possible way to get back at least the Fan Parody Panic Panel, because we are supposed to have a 3-5 minute clip of what the audience makes during the panel to be shown at the Fan Parody Block???

my email = Ravenfire19@optonline.net

Scott Melzer and I just found out about this whole situation this weekend as well, we've been trying to get in contact with Becky for the past month about just updating the panels we had been pre-approved of since the beginning of Feb. (Fan Parody Panic and the Fan Parody Summitt) We did not receive any emails on the current situation so we had no idea we had to submit information again.

So my question is.... Is there any possible way to get back at least the Fan Parody Panic Panel, because we are supposed to have a 3-5 minute clip of what the audience makes during the panel to be shown at the Fan Parody Block???