Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eye

Otakon Game Show!

Hey everyone. The game show is back again by popular demand, and under new leadership. We have a whole Jeopardy show planned for the top 4 quiz-takers at Otakon, with some difficult and hilarious questions. We have tons and tons of great prizes, not just for the contestants, but for the audience as well. (Hint: We're even trying to get Seki's autograph as a prize!)

If you want to be a contestant, go to Workshop 2 between 4:30 and 5:30 on Friday to take the qualification quiz. Otherwise, head to Panel 4 at 7pm on Friday for the show!

We hope to see you there!

Having won last year, I'll try to do so again, if I can get in; last year, I was tied among nine others for the final slot.

I'm still sad that the winner's name (mine) was never put on the site. Maybe I'm just petty?

Either way, hoping to see you all again this year!

Well, it's all over, and second place was fun, too. I had a good time this year, and hope to play again in 2008.

If I had a complaint, I'd mention the way that players couldn't buzz in until the question was finished. Way too many times, before a question was finished, all four of us were blasting away at the A button, trying to be the first one to get credit for the buzz, which made the whole thing a little too random. That said, the use of the Wiimotes was pretty cool.

Nothing more remains to be said, except that I am still quite bad at playing The Yen is Right. :cry:

Thanks for playing, Rand. We had a great time running it and hope we lived up to the standard of the old gameshow crew.

We hope to be back in 2008 and we're going to look at how things worked and try to make improvements. We have a few ideas for better alternatives to the lockout system.

There may be even a few surprises and twists next year.

w00t my room mate won the game show!

it was fun, but i knew mostof the answers ;/

Nice job Rand, first and second place in two years isn't half bad. :P And, many thanks to everyone who showed up to the game show. It was a huge success this year, especially considering it was our first time running it.

In case con staff is reading, we did have a fair amount of issues that we hope can be improved for next year:

1. Getting information about and requesting equipment has been difficult from the start. We hope to be able to discuss these things (well in advance) in the future.

2. The printed schedule had the wrong date and time for the qualification quiz, and the errata sheet had the exact same wrong date and time. I know this doesn't usually happen, so I'm not too worried about this for next year.

3. Our panel room was missing the TV we were told would be there, we had no prizes, and we had to run to several different staff areas searching for people to sort it out 15 minutes before the event started. The staff responsible for these things were not reachable by walkie-talkie or by phone. I ended up running all the way to our hotel and back to get a laptop to replace the TV, but thankfully the TV and prizes arrived just in time.

Still, overall, the game show had a great turnout and most people seemed to really enjoy it. That's what matters most, despite the problems, and we hope to make it even more enjoyable next time around.