Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pathfinder

Catch the Barrel results

The results of catch the barrel. Pirates won by the fault as the ninja and shinigami were too afraid to turn in the barrels after the misunderstanding that went on between the players and the information desk. On your barrel lids, it clearly states that this game is not in any way associated with otakon and is an unofficial game. I was asked to run it by some one who had gotten cleanrence to run this game, but had not passed on the information to the other staff members that such a game would be taking place in the halls. It was sorted out. No one is in trouble, it was just one huge misunderstanding because you guys ended up scaring the heck out of the staff members who weren't told that a game would be going on. so if you stole one of my barrels and would like to return it to me, please get in touch with me as those cost me a lot of money, time and effort to make. if you do not wish to return it, you're a bad person and should feel ashamed of yourself.

As the only barrel that was returned was the Pirate team's barrel, they won by the fault and are ranked #1 against shinigami and Ninjas. Our Pirate King was Jarred, who not only had the most tallies, but was the pirate who turned in the barrel and kept the game going even after the staff at the table told him it would be okay to keep the barrel and use it as a seat. Had the other two teams been walking around the info desk I would have grabbed them, stopped them, and declared the one I saw with it the winner. All you needed to do was ask around for pathfinder and another con goer who knew me would have pointed me out, OR I would have clearly seen the barrels (they are kind of distinct) and I would grabbed you. Now, a big problem was, on the barrels the location was a TBA most likely by the info desk. It WAS the info desk and after the masq got out. I did not attend the masquerade, so I did not know that it got out a whole hour early than its scheduled ending time. I ran from the Radisson all the way to the con and up to the desk without stopping when I found out it got out early. sorry if the reason you stole it was because I was late.

I can't officially change the results, but if another barrel is turned in, or both, I can declare a second place winner.

oh no, its 'the fault'. the fault of several dozen people not being informed of what was arranged ahead of time. default was something i thought about putting, but there is definitly some one at fault here, so 'the fault' seemed so much more fitting.

so yeah. the pirates team, they were a fantastic group of people. they had so much fun playing the game, and were all so happy at the end, that I wasn't even half as upset as I should have been about loosing two of the barrels... those things aren't cheap and I invested a lot of money to make those that I probably didn't have to spare. I would have liked to see more enthusiasm in the other teams, had the word been passed down the chain that the game was okay to be played.... anyone have any of my barrels? just PM me.

can you please not post in red? its not wii browser screen friendly

oh no, its 'the fault'. the fault of several dozen people not being informed of what was arranged ahead of time.

Heh.

You can post it in red, you can post it in bold, you can even post it in large fonts...

There's still a good chance a lot of people won't see it. (At least now people sometimes will courteously say "tl;dr")

Good luck with the barrels

oh, I wasn't aware that anyone was having trouble seeing that color. I'm same color blind (something to do with my cones and rods in my eyes that make my color perception off to the point where dark colors and bright colors all merge together), so I choose bold colors that are stand out more against the dark background settings that I use. I usually use purple, but it doesn't stand out as well against the skin I use (typing in white, yellow and cyan is just obnoxious for everyone else who doesn't use the dark setting, plain white gives me trouble if its not against black or very dark blue but if i highlight it, its okay). I'll try to find something better.... I have to bold them... it makes it easier for me to see... i wish everyone would bold their fonts actually.... but alas, it is not a perfect world.

....oh.

Now I feel like a jerk. :oops:

don't feel bad... there was no way you could have known. i don't exactly wear a sign that says it out loud... I like to be friendly in general... i just have trouble seeing stuff... its more bothersome on things like escalators though than on forums... the ones that don't have bright yellow lines outlining where the individual steps are.. at least on forums i can copy and paste it into a word doc to read it.

If this board is phpBB based, you could always try requesting a "skin" modification so that when you're viewing the boards, you see them through your own personal background colors, fonts, et al.

So the Ota staff didn't have them then I take it. Well, hopefully the other two will see this thread, and hopefully even more, return those other buckets.

But I promise I'll be there next year to defend my title! lol

This is Jarred Justice btw. The once and current pirate king, lol.

"So the Ota staff didn't have them"

No, Otakon staff had nothing to do with this event. We specifically had removed ourselves from involvement with the original organizers. The understanding was that if you were to to play an "unsanctioned" game, you were going to have fun and be safe about it.

We did recieve one complaint about rough housing at the feedback panel. Please be more careful next time, or "Catch the Barrel" will make it to a list of things Otakon Staff will have to look for.

regards,

"So the Ota staff didn't have them"

No, Otakon staff had nothing to do with this event. We specifically had removed ourselves from involvement with the original organizers. The understanding was that if you were to to play an "unsanctioned" game, you were going to have fun and be safe about it.

We did recieve one complaint about rough housing at the feedback panel. Please be more careful next time, or "Catch the Barrel" will make it to a list of things Otakon Staff will have to look for.

regards,

No, the staff members informed me that abandoned barrels would probably be picked up should they be in a visible place and be thrown away or taken off of con premises. Basically, it was encouraged upon the players of the game to keep the barrels as seats or get rid of them.

horse play is completely 100% not tolerated as a part of the rules of the game, had it been an official game where there are more than 4 people keeping an eye on 3 separate barrels, in a huge convention center with thousands of attendees, then this would not be a situation. Next year if it is again allowed for us to play our game then we will bring more people to keep an eye on the barrels and the individuals playing. The con where I run it officially, most of the staff know where the barrels are and how the game works, so if a staff member sees horsing around and barrels in places that they shouldn't be, it is easily addressed and taken care of. As an official game at AnotherAnimeCon, its very successful and more organized. They even take care of making the props and filling them with stuff like candy. Basically last year anyone who wanted to play put their name on a list with me before going after in pursuit of the barrels and everyone was explained the rules before starting the game. they were all sent to my home base, outside of registration, where they could find information about the game specifically. I'm not making any demands, but it IS easier when its something that at least most of the staff know about.

King Jarred, my man, dude you pirates were awesome. It was so wonderful to see how much fun all of you had. ^____^ You guys made that night awesome, got any pictures?

I'm fairly certain that by this point that I'm not going to get the other barrels back. I'm just preparing and looking forward to october when I can run the game again at AAC07. :D

Unfortunately, I do not, lol, I'm hoping to come into contact again with that crew of random miscreints, so I can get pictures myself, hehe.

So, how have you been dear Pathfinder?