I heard from my cousin who was at the Con Feedback session that the Days Inn will start taking reservations August 15th for next year. Is this info correct or can anyone give me any more info on hotels for next year? Thank you!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they will most likely not be available right away, but don't quote me on it. as it takes some time for staff to ink these contracts out, it does sometimes take a while for certain hotels. that being said an official response from a staffer is best. check out the otakon site for news and announcements often though as last year the initial hotel info went up on august 18 (whether that was with room rates or not, i don't know). this is - of course - about the days in and we have strayed from topic.

you can look at last year's rates on the website; I think our cheapest downtown rooms were $169 + tax.

(say it with me now...)

When the new info is available, it'll be posted....

they will most likely not be available right away, but don't quote me on it. as it takes some time for staff to ink these contracts out, it does sometimes take a while for certain hotels. that being said an official response from a staffer is best. check out the otakon site for news and announcements often though as last year the initial hotel info went up on august 18 (whether that was with room rates or not, i don't know). this is - of course - about the days in and we have strayed from topic.

I think--unlike the majority, it appears--that I'm going to wait until some room rates have been negotiated. I loved my room at the Sheraton Inner Harbor this year, but I'm not willing to pay [much] more than I did for it. The total came out to almost 1k for three nights' stay!

Thanks for the info!

No problem, but like Jim said,

(say it with me now...)

When the new info is available, it'll be posted....

...so be on the lookout.

I think--unlike the majority, it appears--that I'm going to wait until some room rates have been negotiated. I loved my room at the Sheraton Inner Harbor this year, but I'm not willing to pay [much] more than I did for it. The total came out to almost 1k for three nights' stay!

don't get me wrong. i hear ya on that. i paid full price due to missing the room rate. my bill was almost 1300 for three nights. i am definitely checking every day for room info for the sheraton inner harbor. (oh wait, this is the days inn thread. darn it!)

I love living 25~ mins away.

If it was possible I'd rent out my basement or something, but logistically speaking it wouldn't work.

Sort of OT, but does the Days Inn offer a fridge?

I stayed at the Tremont this year, very nice rooms, but sort of far.

And I noticed its a flat rate usually, what rooms do they offer? 2 doubles? 1 queen?

I can think of some good reasons. For example, the Light Rail shuts down just as the late night fun is beginning.

That, and staying in a skywalked hotel (Hyatt, Sheraton, eventually the Hilton) and being so conveniently close to con stuff is priceless.

I can think of some good reasons. For example, the Light Rail shuts down just as the late night fun is beginning.

That, and staying in a skywalked hotel (Hyatt, Sheraton, eventually the Hilton) and being so conveniently close to con stuff is priceless.

Speaking from experience, don't try to organize a room yourself. Find a friend and hop aboard or something. Oh the horror stories I have.

I heard from my cousin who was at the Con Feedback session that the Days Inn will start taking reservations August 15th for next year. Is this info correct or can anyone give me any more info on hotels for next year? Thank you!
Speaking from experience, don't try to organize a room yourself. Find a friend and hop aboard or something. Oh the horror stories I have.

Well cool. I guess when hotels are announced I'll fly over here to see if anyone is looking for people to join their group. If I could stay in downtown without breaking the bank, I'd certainly like to.

I guess it varies on whether people leave sunday or stay over sunday. Given that it's a 5 to 6 hour drive back to me, I'd prefer to stay over Sunday and drive back monday, but I guess all that would get sorted out when I look for groups looking for another person.

how is the Day's Inn, btw?

it appears Otakon-goers swear by it and the fact it sells out so quickly seems to be proof of that but i'm just wondering from those who have stayed there what it's like.

not to stray from topic, but this year i was at the Holiday Inn which is just as close and beautiful; one of the nicest rooms i've stayed in, plus the staff was very friendly and helpful. we paid $174/night for it which isn't bad for the range in baltimore.

also, the holiday inn won't take reservations more than 50 weeks in advance so there's time to relax & wait for the Ota-rates to pop-up ^^

If you're looking for nice rooms, the Days Inn isn't it. It's just a convenient place to stay. The rooms are small, we were pretty compact with five people in a two bed room. So are the bathrooms, the sink is even out in the main room cause it can't fit in there.

I've stayed at the Day's, the Holiday, the Hyatt, the Sheraton, and the other Sheraton (former Wyndam). My favorite is, hands down, the Sheraton. The room was huge, with lots of space, and amazingly conveniently located. The Holiday and Day's are tied for the bottom because honestly, the Day's is just skeevy but has a fridge and is closer, but the extra block and the lack of fridge are really worth not having a fridge. The Sheraton and the Hyatt top out the group, with the Sheraton coming out a bit higher--mostly because I don't know what the customer service is like at the Hyatt. The Hyatt is nice, but costs a boatload and the room I stayed in was a little on the small side. Smack in the middle is the Sheraton (former Wyndam)--the rooms aren't particularly small, but they're not huge. They fit about seven in a quad a little uncomfortably (I'd recommend no more than five or six, really), and they're very affordable.

I've pretty much stayed almost everywhere, and I definitely play favorites. I wouldn't stay at Day's unless it was being paid for, and with room refunds from gofering covering almost all of my share of my room at the Sheraton, maybe not even then.

I agree with "wouldn't stay at the Days unless it was being paid for." (Which it is, so I stay there, but hey.) Having a fridge is a HUGE convienience though, when you don't have time to eat during "normal people hours." :D And it's not like I spent much time in the room anyway - leave at 7:30 AM, return between midnight and 2:30 AM, sleep, rinse and repeat. All in all it's not a bad place for a regular-sized group of people to shower, sleep and store their stuff - more than that and going elsewhere is probably preferable.

In past years I've stayed at the Renaissance, the Wyndham (now Sheraton #2) and the Radission, but I gave up organizing my own hotel rooms after last year and coincidentally, this year was remarkably stress-free in that department. When I had a choice, I booked rooms at the Holiday Inn. The employees are hit-or-miss but the rooms are nicer than the Days (until they started cramming all of Otakon in the second tower with the smaller rooms, anyway), not much more expensive, and not really much further away.. And I brought a cooler with food back then anyway, so the lack of fridge was negligible.

Thought to consider:

In all the time I've stayed at hotels for Otakon as a staffer, I've NEVER had the time to do ANYTHING that counts as an amenity at a hotel. No time for the pool, or the hot tub (much as I could have used the latter), or the bar, or anything of that sort. So what does that matter? Actually, no, wait, I use the business center to check my e-mail once a day.

If I were paying to come to Otakon, I would be trying to extract every last cent of value out of my membership. Though, if I were paying $50 a head per night to crash with four folks in a hotel room, I guess I'd make time for the pool/hot tub as well.......... :?

Seeing as the Days is around 160 a night, and I really don't care about hotel quality or amenities since I'll only be spending about 6 hours a night in the room (though a fridge would be nice...) I think I'll survive a sub-par hotel that's a stone's throw away from the BCC. The conveinience just can't be beat. This past year I was stuck at the Mariott about 7 or 8 blocks away.. it was a little creepy walking back at night and I had to stay with my friend and his girlfriend (yeah, they slept together, I was on the sofa.... awkwarrrrrrd ><)

I'd much rather just have a room to myself and my girlfriend, be able to get up in the morning and walk right over to the BCC in less than a minute, and walk back when we need to all in short time.

Besides, who wants to walk a sizeable distance to your hotel after you've been OtakuRaving for 3 hours... XD

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.